ADVERTISEMENT

More Rolo. Doesn’t bode well for him

The guy had a private audience with a renowned subject matter expert. There is no rational reason for him to deny the science of vaccines. This all boils down to him stomping his feet because he doesn't like being told he doesn't know everything.

You sound like a pathetic child when you whine like this. Trying acting like an adult.
It's America. People are free to make decisions you disagree with. He lost his job.

Do you need to be more outraged?

to be fair this fcking pandemic has infected (see what I did there?) every aspect of our daily lives, including sports. combine that with the team being mediocre at best and Rolo making a spectacle of himself and the school and we end up with this hot garbage of a message board (lately).

Also I wanted to mention that the last two times ESPN has bothered to write anything about us was to exploit disastrous circumstances that the team has been through and now they've exploited the death of an undergrad's family in order to... I'm not sure what. Prove their moral superiority? Thumb their nose at people who haven't been vaccinated? Whatever purpose it was supposed to serve, its nauseating.

The guy had a private audience with a renowned subject matter expert. There is no rational reason for him to deny the science of vaccines. This all boils down to him stomping his feet because he doesn't like being told he doesn't know everything.

You sound like a pathetic child when you whine like this. Trying acting like an adult.
If you're looking for a rationale, remember that took place in April. First vaccines in history to be given emergency use authorization, obviously no full FDA approval, the first mrna vaccines in history, and first significant product Moderna put out was the Covid vaccine.

So, yeah, I see why people were hesitant and even why they remain that way. It's perfectly fine for people to disagree, even with you.

If the information in the article is accurate - which is a big if when talking about almost any media article - it does seem to weaken Rolo's case.

The fact that the university was putting him in a room with legitimate experts (and Guy Palmer is definitely an expert) six months ago does not indicate that Chun was trying to get rid of him. It means he was being given opportunities to explore his questions. The changing process during that 6 months muddies the water a bit, but that still doesn't indicate that Chun had made a decision. The common perception (in the department) that it was political to Rolo is also interesting - is this based on statements of his, or just supposition? His private expectation that Stanford was his last game as coach (which seems to be borne out in the way he and the players acted post-game) could go either way.

The data indicates that just over 90% of religious exemption requests have been approved at WSU (so far). If no more are approved, the acceptance rate will still be about 78%. That's also significant, as it seems to show that getting approved was not that difficult. It makes the content of his exemption request highly relevant, because it now appears that he either failed to articulate how his beliefs impact the vaccine, or that he refused to do it. Although the review process was blind, I assume that there is a way to retrieve what information he submitted. If it comes out in court that his exemption request said "none of your business," this case is over.

Otherwise, I think this still gets settled just because a settlement is cheaper than a court battle and not worth the PR problems. That is, unless Inslee and Ferguson decide to fight the battle. WSU just wants it to go away.
The other way to spin is after this "audience" (the proletariat is so fortunate to have an audience with the eminent doctor) is that Chun turned on him. And this was when there was only emergency use, a very flimsy rule with a personal exemption, etc.

exactly, he could have asked any question he wanted to. he chose to ask about bill gates. No mention of religious issues at all, just as he didn't mention religious issues to June Jones. Because there are none, just a way to try and get around the mandate
That's what made the article, and obviously got your attention. We don't know the extent of the conversation.

Reactions: 79COUG
If you're looking for a rationale, remember that took place in April. First vaccines in history to be given emergency use authorization, obviously no full FDA approval, the first mrna vaccines in history, and first significant product Moderna put out was the Covid vaccine.

So, yeah, I see why people were hesitant and even why they remain that way. It's perfectly fine for people to disagree, even with you.
Then came FDA approval and still chose not to take it.

That's what made the article, and obviously got your attention. We don't know the extent of the conversation.
We do know via his tweets that he scrubbed that was his leaning. He never once talked about his religious beliefs. He could have made a case for himself back in July stating he has deep held religious beliefs and the vaccine goes against those beliefs, except when his kids got vaxed.

Then look at stutzman's brothers FB page. He was fired by Navy, I don't believe he is suing. His religious views seem to be in every post.

This will all play out in the court. We will see if he gets paid or not. I am not sure what June Jones said helps his case and not sure it matters if it will make it in the records or not. Gives WSU and the state places to look to see how deep those religious motives are. There was one report in Hawaii he didn't even attend a Catholic Church. But we shall see.

The other way to spin is after this "audience" (the proletariat is so fortunate to have an audience with the eminent doctor) is that Chun turned on him. And this was when there was only emergency use, a very flimsy rule with a personal exemption, etc.
When did Pfizer get their approval? Was it in time for Rolo to get stabbed?

Thanks for the enlightening read - totally out of my wheelhouse and much appreciated.

I was wondering (assuming too much?) if the University does in fact settle with Rolo does this in any way potentially benefit others who were fired from a state job - does it set any type of precedent that would be against the states interests.
The settlement would be confidential. Even with confidentiality, word would get around that there could be money to be had.

Does it set a precedent? Only if the state/WSU gets an adverse court ruling ahead of a settlement. Meaning that if the defendant's motion to dismiss is denied, and discovery ensues in earnest, the defendant may be more interested in settlement at that point. A settlement can be justified to avoid discovery (cost as much as embarrassment), provide finality, avoid risks of trial, and I'm sure many other reasons.

Right now there is an administrative appeal happening which provides another opportunity for a settlement without filing a suit.

Reactions: WillieThePimp
We do know via his tweets that he scrubbed that was his leaning. He never once talked about his religious beliefs. He could have made a case for himself back in July stating he has deep held religious beliefs and the vaccine goes against those beliefs, except when his kids got vaxed.

Then look at stutzman's brothers FB page. He was fired by Navy, I don't believe he is suing. His religious views seem to be in every post.

This will all play out in the court. We will see if he gets paid or not. I am not sure what June Jones said helps his case and not sure it matters if it will make it in the records or not. Gives WSU and the state places to look to see how deep those religious motives are. There was one report in Hawaii he didn't even attend a Catholic Church. But we shall see.
Well, he obviously made the decision to say nothing after his tweet in July.

Willie, I am not one of the legal beagles on this board, but I've been through this process a few times from the employer's end, as have clients of mine who are also friends, so I'll offer a few thoughts.

First, it is not clear to me whether the university has an insurance carrier that is involved, or if the university is self-insured via some sort of state group. I can't feature that WSU has its own self-insurance program, though I suppose it is possible; more likely if the state chooses to self insure the universities for this sort of thing it is through a central group in Olympia. The "outside carrier vs. self insurance" question is relevant in that if an outside carrier is involved, they will have a heavy say in whether the case is settled or litigated. If they can settle for what they consider to be peanut money, they will do so. Even if the state self-insures, there will be people in Olympia who oversee the program, and their role will be to behave in a much similar manner to the people who would be working at an insurance carrier. There is a third possibility...the state may self-insure up to a limited amount, and beyond that they go to a carrier who insures them only against a catastrophic loss. In that case, the goal of the attorney will be to settle near the high end of what ever the state will cover themselves, because unless the lawyer has a slam dunk case, the catastrophic policies will often go to the litigation mat due to the amount of money involved, and the risk/reward of a contingency pay day diminishes for the lawyer. The lawyer may have to guess that amount, because I don't believe that sort of information falls under the public information laws (for obvious reasons).

Second, as to compulsion. My experience has been that in most cases a policy holder cannot be bound by the insurance carrier to settle. However, every policy has coverage limits, as well as limitations on the carrier's liability in the event of misconduct by the insured. If the policy holder opts not to settle, and the award exceeds the coverage limits, they will be responsible for the excess. And...pouring salt in the wound...if the lawsuit's conclusion includes any sort of determination of misconduct by the insured (which is not only possible, it is actually likely in the event of a large award), then the insurance carrier may be completely off the hook and the entire judgement will have to be paid by the insured. (note: if WSU is completely self-insured, either by themselves or through the state, this doesn't apply...and it is the single biggest factor IMHO in whether the final result in the settlement decision would be the same for insured vs. self insured if WSU has any reason to think they may lose a case). For these reasons, the insurance company has a number of potential levers they can pull in "persuading" their client to settle...and that is often why settlements occur. Often the insurance company and insured will have a very strong case, but choose not to gamble on getting an unpredictable jury. The ambulance chasers recognize this, of course, and use it to their advantage. Further, they make massive contributions both individually and corporately to friendly legislators (who usually themselves are attorneys) to perpetuate and make worse the entire tort system. Long story short, it becomes another parasitical cost of doing business in that particular state.
For this sort of thing, the difference between "WSU" and "the state" is very blurry, to the extent that there's barely a difference. WSU is self-insured for this sort of liability (under the state insurance pool) they basically only carry commercial policies for some buildings and property. The attorneys representing WSU will be from the state attorney general's office....directed by Ferguson, and in turn, Inslee. So yes, WSU can be compelled to settle or not. The compulsion will be political and directed by the governor, not be the insurance pool, or even by the insurance commissioner (who also reports to the governor).

It'll be interesting to see what happens, partially because WSU's interest is not going to align with the governor's. WSU is likely willing to allow a settlement just to make it go away and get out of the headlines. Preferably a confidential settlement out of court. Inslee may want to fight the battle, regardless of the PR hit to WSU....especially since it's very likely that fighting this out means the state pays nothing.

As to precedent...yes, it would establish one. If Rolo won a court-ordered settlement, then there will be a class action on behalf of all of the employees who were dismissed. That probably requires a Supreme Court decision though, so could be years away. But if they can negotiate an out of court settlement, there's no precedent, and it could be completely confidential. Gotta believe that's what WSU wants to do.

The settlement would be confidential. Even with confidentiality, word would get around that there could be money to be had.

Does it set a precedent? Only if the state/WSU gets an adverse court ruling ahead of a settlement. Meaning that if the defendant's motion to dismiss is denied, and discovery ensues in earnest, the defendant may be more interested in settlement at that point. A settlement can be justified to avoid discovery (cost as much as embarrassment), provide finality, avoid risks of trial, and I'm sure many other reasons.

Right now there is an administrative appeal happening which provides another opportunity for a settlement without filing a suit.
The settlement would be confidential...better not be because MSNBC will have their spin and Fox theirs,. Can't have that

While this op-ed does have some facts, its is smothered in emotional bullshit and makes me want to disregard anything worthwhile within.

Katie Lane's story is completely irrelevant other to paint Rolo as a villian and imply that people like him are responsible for her father's death - complete garbage. Then he gives her the last word - "I want people to have more empathy." WTF does that mean or have anything to do with anything? Oh, that's right, Rolo purposely didn't get the vaccine so that he could be a walking plaguebearer and kill nice people like poor Katie's father... who also refused to get the vax.

Honestly, can we just get back to blaming WSU/ Chun for TH's death? I mean, where was Chun's empathy then? After all, WSU and Chun haven't done enough to honor Tyler and his family, right?

Are you trying to say that Rolovich didn't kill her dad?

Ever since I got my Pfizer I have had this irresistible urge to buy Microsoft products and donate to the Gates foundation.
Perhaps more to the point, do your wife, sister, mother, daughter and aunts have a sudden interest in the newly single Mr. Gates?

Also, slightly less known fact is that Fauci personally built a time machine and travelled into the future to ensure that there were no long term side affects from getting 1, 2, or 3 or more shots of a new, experimental drug, making the normal long term drug study unnecessary. And, even if there had been the normal studies, there certainly aren't any examples of drugs that underwent the usual clinical trials and went to market and STILL had adverse side effects in certain demographics or age groups, so definitely no need to worry there.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
to be fair this fcking pandemic has infected (see what I did there?) every aspect of our daily lives, including sports. combine that with the team being mediocre at best and Rolo making a spectacle of himself and the school and we end up with this hot garbage of a message board (lately).

Also I wanted to mention that the last two times ESPN has bothered to write anything about us was to exploit disastrous circumstances that the team has been through and now they've exploited the death of an undergrad's family in order to... I'm not sure what. Prove their moral superiority? Thumb their nose at people who haven't been vaccinated? Whatever purpose it was supposed to serve, its nauseating.
ESPN is for mouth breathers, dental hygienists, immaginary CEOs and woke coke heads.

Well, in some circumstance, perhaps:

Rule 23 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure requires judicial approval of class action settlements. Under Amchem Products v. Windsor, 521 U.S. 591 (1997), class action settlements must meet all of Rule 23's requirements except manageability. Thus judicial approval of a settlement class can place defendants at risk of later having the settlement class cited as "precedent" for certifying litigation classes in other actions.

Of course, not being a lawyer I don't know what the Rule 23 requirements are. But it sounds like it is very limited in scope, and this is for federal rules. Perhaps only class action lawsuits? Shrug. A WA attorney could answer better.
Rolovich won't be in a class action. A group like the DOT employees might.

Are these the fastest approvals in history?
Yep...so was my recent email. Your point? Are you saying they cut corners on the clinical trials to determine their safety? Are you saying they didn't have enough candidates to submit a trial as they would with any vaccine?

Are you saying they didn't extend the trial date an extra two weeks vs other trial data sets to show there were no side affects?

So my understanding from a guy who does this for a living is that the vaccine is out of the system in four weeks, and the side affects on a vaccine would have shown up no later than week six? He also told me they had so many people for the case studies they didn't need time to get enough people in the study like they would in a cancer study of XXX Breast cancer for example.

My guess vs say 1955, legal documents are way easier to prepare today because their is a template. I could be wrong, but I know in real estate they don't have to type out the contract line by line like they use to in the very early days. And my guess the same in the science world is they have made enough advancements that time could be compressed but they did not skimp on the clinical trials themselves.

And the data when Rolo could have taken the shot had already had over 160 mil shots in the arm. I wonder if Rolo was concerned when his kids got their mandated shots?

You can disagree with anything you want, but that doesn't make you correct or smart.

Yep...so was my recent email. Your point? Are you saying they cut corners on the clinical trials to determine their safety? Are you saying they didn't have enough candidates to submit a trial as they would with any vaccine?

Are you saying they didn't extend the trial date an extra two weeks vs other trial data sets to show there were no side affects?

So my understanding from a guy who does this for a living is that the vaccine is out of the system in four weeks, and the side affects on a vaccine would have shown up no later than week six? He also told me they had so many people for the case studies they didn't need time to get enough people in the study like they would in a cancer study of XXX Breast cancer for example.

My guess vs say 1955, legal documents are way easier to prepare today because their is a template. I could be wrong, but I know in real estate they don't have to type out the contract line by line like they use to in the very early days. And my guess the same in the science world is they have made enough advancements that time could be compressed but they did not skimp on the clinical trials themselves.

And the data when Rolo could have taken the shot had already had over 160 mil shots in the arm. I wonder if Rolo was concerned when his kids got their mandated shots?
Just as an FYI, you'll notice that there are 386 drugs that have been recalled here.

You can disagree with anything you want, but that doesn't make you correct or smart.
Nor does agreeing or disagreeing make you right or smart.

Do you consider the emergency use, followed by fast track approval a reasonable rationale to be vaccine hesitant?

Nor does agreeing or disagreeing make you right or smart.

Do you consider the emergency use, followed by fast track approval a reasonable rationale to be vaccine hesitant?
No, I don't. mRNA vaccines have been in development for nearly 20 years. There is a ton of evidence showing they are safe and effective. There is a reason that every single living President, including your false idol (who presided over the nation while this process occurred) has taken it.

The hesitancy stance is nothing more than performance art at this point, in an attempt to be contrarian because they think it makes them intellectual. Lucky for the majority, the act is wearing thin. Soon it will be ignored all together, as it should have been all along.

How does one perform 1 year, 2 year, 5 year trails in six months? Just curious. Also, please provide proof of your time machine.

I'm not sure you need to ask about that. The information is publicly available on the manufacturer websites.

Then again, we are talking about narratives here. Perhaps he did ask and either a) ESPN didn't print it or b) Palmer, et al, did share it to keep the narrative friendly to WSU. Shrug.
I don't think WSU helped itself with this hit job by ESPN. It doesn't help them. Keep this in your back pocket for if/when Rolovich asserts that his religious concerns weren't answered. If the claim is frivolous and Rolo is willing to perjure himself, WSU should allow him to make that unforced error. Then they can say what happened at this meeting.

I'd guess this gets portrayed as Chun forcing the staff who hadn't been vaccinated into an "information session" with an implied threat of retaliation if they didn't take the vaccine. Palmer blabbing to the press about Rolo's questions doesn't instill confidence that this wasn't coercive. They'll fight this out in court, but I don't think the school helped itself today.

I don't think WSU helped itself with this hit job by ESPN. It doesn't help them. Keep this in your back pocket for if/when Rolovich asserts that his religious concerns weren't answered. If the claim is frivolous and Rolo is willing to perjure himself, WSU should allow him to make that unforced error. Then they can say what happened at this meeting.

I'd guess this gets portrayed as Chun forcing the staff who hadn't been vaccinated into an "information session" with an implied threat of retaliation if they didn't take the vaccine. Palmer blabbing to the press about Rolo's questions doesn't instill confidence that this wasn't coercive. They'll fight this out in court, but I don't think the school helped itself today.
Are you implying Chun reached out to ESPN to do this article? In an effort to create more anit-Rolo spin?

Are you implying Chun reached out to ESPN to do this article? In an effort to create more anit-Rolo spin?
FOIA requests and discovery will confirm or deny said implication.

If there are any journalists who, you know, do, like, journalism stuff. Before the lawyers do, like, you know, law stuff.

Need we remind the members of the internet jury, Chun is on the hook personally in Rolo's suit.

Need we remind the members of the internet jury, Chun is on the hook personally in Rolo's suit.
For the lawyers out there, this seems like standard fare. Sovereign immunity and all that stuff. The AG, Governor, etc., are always named personally when suing the government. I suspect it is the same here (the legal eagles can confirm).

For the lawyers out there, this seems like standard fare. Sovereign immunity and all that stuff. The AG, Governor, etc., are always named personally when suing the government. I suspect it is the same here (the legal eagles can confirm).
My gut tells me it's more than that. Something personal.

As stated before, the truth always comes out eventually.

Sometimes it just takes that b*tch karma a while to show her face.

No comment from me on the timing and whether WSU pushed for this piece to get out there--I just don't have an informed opinion on either--but regarding the "information session," while I understand the reasons for your portrayal, these things can be spun various ways. One can imagine alternative situations in which Chun never communicated with Rolovich at all about the vaccine, or in which there was an "information session" that was poorer in any number of regards (e.g., just held by the athletic department or some bureaucrat and, whether led by any of those inferior sources or an "expert," just in the form of some kind of PowerPoint-driven inculcation). It's hard for me to see the issue with arranging for an employee to get an hour of one-on-one time to ask a legitimate expert whatever they want about the vaccine. He had some control over the conversation and could ask whatever he wanted, it seems. Obviously Palmer is pro-vaccine, but so is just about every "expert" out there, with rare exception. It is hard to see a better way to genuinely try to help Rolovich get whatever information he needed from a good source. I'm probably in the 90th percentile or higher in general cynicism, but it's hard to find fault with that in and of itself.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Should we rename this site Covid Zone or Vaccine Watch?

I still refer to the site as Cougzone since that was what is was named
before Britton came in and tried to put his stamp on the site before bolting...so leaning toward that variation...but either one suits.

Back in the day, we could have named it Wulff Watch...but thats neither here nor there.
WazzuWatQ

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT