ADVERTISEMENT

More Rolo. Doesn’t bode well for him

FOIA requests and discovery will confirm or deny said implication.

If there are any journalists who, you know, do, like, journalism stuff. Before the lawyers do, like, you know, law stuff.

Need we remind the members of the internet jury, Chun is on the hook personally in Rolo's suit.
Chun will be named, but he'll be dismissed. His standing in the case is as a representative of WSU, and he'll be represented by them. Even if there's discrimination proved, his role is as part of WSU.

Chun will be named, but he'll be dismissed. His standing in the case is as a representative of WSU, and he'll be represented by them. Even if there's discrimination proved, his role is as part of WSU.

1 - you don’t know that with certainty

2 - it’s possible that Chun acted outside his authority, circumvented policy, etc

Didn’t say he did. But it’s possible.

No comment from me on the timing and whether WSU pushed for this piece to get out there--I just don't have an informed opinion on either--but regarding the "information session," while I understand the reasons for your portrayal, these things can be spun various ways. One can imagine alternative situations in which Chun never communicated with Rolovich at all about the vaccine, or in which there was an "information session" that was poorer in any number of regards (e.g., just held by the athletic department or some bureaucrat and, whether led by any of those inferior sources or an "expert," just in the form of some kind of PowerPoint-driven inculcation). It's hard for me to see the issue with arranging for an employee to get an hour of one-on-one time to ask a legitimate expert whatever they want about the vaccine. He had some control over the conversation and could ask whatever he wanted, it seems. Obviously Palmer is pro-vaccine, but so is just about every "expert" out there, with rare exception. It is hard to see a better way to genuinely try to help Rolovich get whatever information he needed from a good source. I'm probably in the 90th percentile or higher in general cynicism, but it's hard to find fault with that in and of itself.
I'm just calling Palmer's on record comments to ESPN ill-advised. They get a short term win in the media but have fewer avenues of argument than they had yesterday. Do I think Chun pushed this out? Unlikely, but I wouldn't rule it out. The behavior of Chun and Shultz leading up to and in the aftermath of this isn't the route I'd go, but not I'm advising them.

With every day the "debate" over the COVID vaccine becomes more and more irrelevant.
Its just a fact of daily life that we will get vaccinate and we will get boosters, because it is safe and effective.
Its like having a heated debate over wearing seat belts or putting floride in the water.
In a few years it will be hard to describe to our kids/grandkids what this was even about, like people who believe in a flat earth, or a moon landing conspiracy.

In a few years it will be hard to describe to our kids/grandkids what this was even about, like people who believe in a flat earth, or a moon landing conspiracy.
This is the kind of rhetoric that perpetuates things. Equating people concerned about the ethical problems with the vaccine to flat-earth ers is garbage.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
Whether you agree or disagree with one side or the other, etc, what should be clear, truth, fact, etc, is:

Rolovich, by suing WSU, and also because of this article, etc, He will never, ever coach at a P5, major college football college, even the Kansas's, etc, as a HC. He killed his coaching career. The only jobs he might get, my might be Junior High's, Highschools, maybe Division 3, whitworth college type schools, colleges, etc. Places will be hesitant to even hire him as a positional coach, or GA, grad assistant, assistant coach, volunteer consultant coach, etc

1. They would not want to deal with future vaccination problems like he had at WSU

2. They would worry what people would think

3. They would worry that he would not be a good leader, set a bad example and be counterproductive to their official vaccination stance.

4. They would worry about what if he is due happy, and might he sue them

Just too big of a risk.

He killed his own coaching career.

All he can do now is comfortably retire on his millions.

It's kind of sad, because he probably won't be able to coach ever again, despite probably wanting to coach again somewhere.

If, and this is a big if, if somebody does give him a chance to coach again, they are probably not very smart.

I would never hire him, because of the lawsuit at minimum, and how he is badly handling the lawsuit, and mess.

News feed popped up a lazy "journalists" article who's entire content was commenting on the ESPN article. I won't link it because it's more hot garbage, but one hot take was "How does a grown man refuse to take an action that would save lives?"

And there you have it, folks. As "stupid" and "uninformed" as the fascist side claims the unwashed are, the keyboard virtue warriors are equally so. It's widely accepted that being vaccinated at best reduces the severity of the Covid disease for most, it does not prevent you from spreading the virus if you become infected. So explain to me how him being vaxxed would save lives? Oh, that's right, it wouldnt.

1 - you don’t know that with certainty

2 - it’s possible that Chun acted outside his authority, circumvented policy, etc

Didn’t say he did. But it’s possible.
Unless #2 is true, #1 is pretty certain. #2 is highly unlikely.

In fact, if his request for exemption was denied - which looks to be the case - it wasn't even Chun's decision. If that proves true, Chun will be dismissed because he was acting in accordance with the governor's directive, and had no latitude or discretion. And really, neither did WSU. At that point, it becomes a suit against Inslee, the state, and the mandate.

If the exemption request was approved, and Chun denied the accommodation, it's a different scenario...but the greater likelihood is still that Chun was acting as an agent of WSU.

Reactions: mikalalas
I'm just calling Palmer's on record comments to ESPN ill-advised. They get a short term win in the media but have fewer avenues of argument than they had yesterday. Do I think Chun pushed this out? Unlikely, but I wouldn't rule it out. The behavior of Chun and Shultz leading up to and in the aftermath of this isn't the route I'd go, but not I'm advising them.
Yeah, I understand that perspective regarding Palmer's comments. He should have just politely declined to comment.

Unless #2 is true, #1 is pretty certain. #2 is highly unlikely.

In fact, if his request for exemption was denied - which looks to be the case - it wasn't even Chun's decision. If that proves true, Chun will be dismissed because he was acting in accordance with the governor's directive, and had no latitude or discretion. And really, neither did WSU. At that point, it becomes a suit against Inslee, the state, and the mandate.

If the exemption request was approved, and Chun denied the accommodation, it's a different scenario...but the greater likelihood is still that Chun was acting as an agent of WSU.

That bolded part makes Item 1- 'you don't know that with certainty' - true. There is no 'unless'. You either know with certainty or you don't at this time. We don't.

Discovery is a beautiful thing in the legal process. It takes uncertainty out of the equation as the curtain is drawn back on communications between the parties.

Would be way more interesting with Bob Dunn as the attorney but Rolo has his guy.

My gut tells me it's more than that. Something personal.

As stated before, the truth always comes out eventually.

Sometimes it just takes that b*tch karma a while to show her face.
Absent fisticuffs, WSU will be on the hook for anything Chun did. Even some kind of discrimination.

And being magnetized helps me avoid losing my car keys.
Not sure if you're joking or not, but there are definitely people who believe this and the "Microsoft brain-washing" theories.

The middle-aged guy pumping gas at the 76 in Multnomah County bent my ear for 10 minutes with what he's heard on the matter.

Not sure if you're joking or not, but there are definitely people who believe this and the "Microsoft brain-washing" theories.

The middle-aged guy pumping gas at the 76 in Multnomah County bent my ear for 10 minutes with what he's heard on the matter.

This guy is hilarious (colorful language). I love his comment at the end about being tracked through microchips.

If there is one thing we’ve learned in the internet age it’s that there are disturbingly large numbers of people who will believe almost anything.

Reactions: wazzucougs96
A few months ago I asked my brother (similar views to Rolo) where he got his misinformation. He listens to one of the right wing nutjob radio programs. I asked him if that show wasn't just an echo chamber of other folks who denied that those who have worked with immunology their entire careers knew what they were talking about, and instead were choosing to believe people who know essentially nothing...he didn't have a good answer. We have not spoken much since that conversation.
Wonder if the host he listens to is one of the ones that uh, didn't get that memo about taking the vaccine while taking money and viewership stoking anti-vaxxer nonsense and died. It's quite a list

Absent fisticuffs, WSU will be on the hook for anything Chun did. Even some kind of discrimination.
Of course, WSU has the deep pockets - so essentially, we the taxpayers will foot the bill. Again.

Something just doesn't quite fit.

With every day the "debate" over the COVID vaccine becomes more and more irrelevant.
Its just a fact of daily life that we will get vaccinate and we will get boosters, because it is safe and effective.
Its like having a heated debate over wearing seat belts or putting floride in the water.

It takes a gas gimp 10 minutes to fill your gas tank? You drive a school bus?

• Haha
Reactions: PeteTheChop

My main question here is, what exactly did Rolovich and the assistants put on that exemption request? Only 36 of over 400 exemptions have been denied, and 4 of those happened to be on the coaching staff? Doesn't sound like WSU was really applying the most rigorous of standards in terms of granting these things. At this point, I almost wonder if Rolo just turned in a blank form or something like that. From the sounds of it, this was more of a "You can't tell me what to do" thing for him, so it wouldn't surprise me if he just wasn't interested in detailing his religious history.

Reactions: random soul
Some of these irrelevant or "heated" debates are still occurring.

1. No seat belt law for busses, light or heavy rail even in progressive Seattle. Inslee & his best bud Ed Murray didn't want to discourage readership or spend the money to protect the victims in the Rider The Duck crash. Or Inslee's flying train that crashed onto I5 in its first trip to Portland.
Progressive Seattle and King County are in the process from removing the bicycle helmet laws because they are "racist" but actually because the bike lobby wants them gone.

2. Fluoridation rate in this State may be lower than vax rate. At last look, Spokane, Olympia and Bellingham do not fluoridate.

My main question here is, what exactly did Rolovich and the assistants put on that exemption request? Only 36 of over 400 exemptions have been denied, and 4 of those happened to be on the coaching staff? Doesn't sound like WSU was really applying the most rigorous of standards in terms of granting these things. At this point, I almost wonder if Rolo just turned in a blank form or something like that. From the sounds of it, this was more of a "You can't tell me what to do" thing for him, so it wouldn't surprise me if he just wasn't interested in detailing his religious history.
Or maybe the fix was already in. See also SPS #81, Mead SD and CVSD - pretty well everyone sailed through.

Statistically, in a blind process, how do 5 football coaches ALL get denied for religious reasons? Are they in a cult together? Doesn't make sense.

If there is one thing we’ve learned in the internet age it’s that there are disturbingly large numbers of people who will believe almost anything.
It’s not just that they believe anything it’s that there’s an infinite amount of anything out there they can latch on to as soon as their anything is proven wrong. If there’s a .01% chance they might be right today you damn well know they will still be doing the Lloyd Christmas when there’s .00001% chance they are right five years from now.

Reactions: HHusky
It’s not just that they believe anything it’s that there’s an infinite amount of anything out there they can latch on to as soon as their anything is proven wrong. If there’s a .01% chance they might be right today you damn well know they will still be doing the Lloyd Christmas when there’s .00001% chance they are right five years from now.

Or maybe the fix was already in. See also SPS #81, Mead SD and CVSD - pretty well everyone sailed through.

Statistically, in a blind process, how do 5 football coaches ALL get denied for religious reasons? Are they in a cult together? Doesn't make sense.
Sounds like Rolo’s was denied based on his attorney’s statement but that conflicted somewhat with what Chun said. I’ve never seen where anyone has said all 5 were denied. Did I miss something?

Sounds like Rolo’s was denied based on his attorney’s statement but that conflicted somewhat with what Chun said. I’ve never seen where anyone has said all 5 were denied. Did I miss something?

The other four coaches just walked out on their own?

My hunch is there would be verifiable evidence the person was devout enough to attend church etc. something tells me they didn’t have that. Pullman has a few Catholic Churches, we’re they ever there? Did they also object to other medicine tested on fetal cell lines. These are things devout people can demonstrate. I wonder if Rolo and staff couldn’t? I heard he had tried to get the archdiocese of Spokane to write his exemption, or support it, and they said no thank you.

That’s the important question at this point

Turn that question around a bit: what are the chances that 5 football coaches - guys who work together on a daily basis and probably talked about the requirement - had very similar responses on their applications?

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
agreed, and it is likely because he doesn't have any religious history. I wouldn't doubt that the coaches released thought they would get exemptions just because there were so many of them and WSU wouldn't want to have to replace half the staff mid season, their gambit backfired

My hunch is there would be verifiable evidence the person was devout enough to attend church etc. something tells me they didn’t have that. Pullman has a few Catholic Churches, we’re they ever there? Did they also object to other medicine tested on fetal cell lines. These are things devout people can demonstrate. I wonder if Rolo and staff couldn’t? I heard he had tried to get the archdiocese of Spokane to write his exemption, or support it, and they said no thank you.
I don't know. Do you think they actually went through the process of checking with local churches to verify attendance? Did these churches even have live mass throughout most of COVID? He could've just said he watched mass online.

I don't know. Do you think they actually went through the process of checking with local churches to verify attendance? Did these churches even have live mass throughout most of COVID? He could've just said he watched mass online.
The Diocese of Spokane has a blanket dispensation from attending mass since COVID broke out. Also, there are Catholic churches in Pullman (both off and on campus), Moscow (both off and on campus), Colfax, Uniontown, Colton, Palouse, etc.

There are a lot within driving distance. Indeed, my wife's cousin drives nearly 80 miles--one way--every Sunday to attend mass (though the Diocese of Boise has a dispensation for those more than 50 miles from a parish).

I don’t know. But I would bet they ask those questions….and I would bet for guys like Rolo it would be hard to lie about it. I just get the feeling he attempted to play religious and it didn’t work. Whereas most of the people who applied for religious exemptions more than likely are pretty religious and have the history to back it up. The meeting between Rolo and the infectious disease expert seem to support that line of thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT