ADVERTISEMENT

What exactly has Leach done to deserve all your support?

Leach has done some good things in his time at WSU and given the failures and excuses of Wulff's tenure, it's no surprise that many of our fans are grateful for something else. The problem that I have with Leach is that I think that it's quite possible that Wulff would have led WSU to a 6-7 season in 2013. It really wasn't an accomplishment in my book. It's kind of like getting excited about the first time your kid takes a dump in the toilet on his own. It's great for you as a fan of your own kid, but none of your friends are going to come to a party to celebrate it.

The win in LA against USC in 2013 and pulling off surprising wins against Utah and Arizona give me hope. The general landscape of WSU football IS improving. However, the actual winning part still kind of sucks and we have a lot of people spending a lot of time making excuses. Leach is kind of feeling like Wulff in that respect. I'm still hopeful that Leach is the guy but as far as I'm concerned, he's got two seasons to get us back into a bowl game or it's over. Nothing will happen if we don't make it to a bowl game this year other than people bitching. No bowl game in 2016 and we have to acknowledge that Leach's time has come and gone. If we keep him around at that point, we should have saved the money and just kept Wulff.
WHAT? You are not serious here, are you? What in four years of Wulff's coaching would lead you to believe that things were really headed in the right direction? What in four years of Wulff's coaching would lead you to believe that he could outcoach any Pac 12 coach enough to win enough games to make a bowl?

WHAT? You are not serious here, are you? What in four years of Wulff's coaching would lead you to believe that things were really headed in the right direction? What in four years of Wulff's coaching would lead you to believe that he could outcoach any Pac 12 coach enough to win enough games to make a bowl?

Flatland is Captain If & But. I'm sure he could get the '08 team to a bowl game if he put his mind to it.

Flat,

Are you sober? You say Wulff would've finished 6-7 in 2013 so you're not impressed. The next paragraph you say the wins against USC, AZ, and Utah in 2013 give you hope.

Finally, you wrap up with a doozy...if Leach doesn't work out we should've just kept Wulff?!?! Like the two are mutually exclusive or something? WSU is a power 5 school and we are paying a coach market wage. We have options. Talk about a defeatist, Coug loser attitude.
F-in L....Why does a 6 win Wulff season seem all that unreasonable with an experienced secondary, some seasoned lineman? USC sucked at the time. Just as people used peoples reason we beat ASU in 2011 in that there was a lame duck coach, the same could be said for USC. There QB was horrible. In 2013 we beat a Utah team that was playing a walk-on qb, and still managed a career day despite throwing two picks fro a TD, which by the way was the deciding score. WSU finished within 1 inch of beating Utah in 2011, so to say was something to be overly impressed with I might lean on the side of Flat.

Where everyone misses it when they talk about Leach, the one thing and maybe the only thing they need to point to is the layering of offensive lineman. That, and the lack of long term injuries so it is clear the beach works.

He struck out on his hires with Breske and Russell, he struck out with getting corners on campus in 2012. (which may be the easiest position to recruit behind WR)

The fact he is getting lineman in the program, and hopefully we find out Eukale and Barber are better than Cooper and Pole, and the depth keeps building. That alone should get Leach time through 2016.

Impressive is what Harbaugh did. Impressive is what Graham has done.

Am I impressed...no. But I am happy he is our coach and I have hope 2016 and beyond are wildly successful and he gets his record at WSU above .500 by 2019.

F-in L....Why does a 6 win Wulff season seem all that unreasonable with an experienced secondary, some seasoned lineman? USC sucked at the time. Just as people used peoples reason we beat ASU in 2011 in that there was a lame duck coach, the same could be said for USC. There QB was horrible. In 2013 we beat a Utah team that was playing a walk-on qb, and still managed a career day despite throwing two picks fro a TD, which by the way was the deciding score. WSU finished within 1 inch of beating Utah in 2011, so to say was something to be overly impressed with I might lean on the side of Flat.

Where everyone misses it when they talk about Leach, the one thing and maybe the only thing they need to point to is the layering of offensive lineman. That, and the lack of long term injuries so it is clear the beach works.

He struck out on his hires with Breske and Russell, he struck out with getting corners on campus in 2012. (which may be the easiest position to recruit behind WR)

The fact he is getting lineman in the program, and hopefully we find out Eukale and Barber are better than Cooper and Pole, and the depth keeps building. That alone should get Leach time through 2016.

Am I impressed...no. But I am happy he is our coach and I have hope 2016 and beyond are wildly successful and he gets his record at WSU above .500 by 2019.
That USC team did have enough talent to go 10-4. So, there is that. But again, what on field coaching says that Wulff could outcoach another P12 level coach? He was not able to do it, ever.

When Dick Bennett took over the Cougars, he was able to will a few wins over good teams, even though there was little talent overall on the team. Ernie Kent did the same thing this past season.

Wulff never showed this ability. Give Wulff better players and you are still not going to get the results.

It's unreasonable because Wulff never sniffed 6 wins in his WSU tenure. He just got fired for leading one of the worst offenses in the country after one year. He's currently unemployed. Is that enough for you?

All of the pro Wullf/anti-Leach crowd are writing off 2015 like we already finished 3-9. To answer the title of this thread, Leach is a proven winner in a power 5 conference that hasn't forgotten how to coach. Doesn't the fact Leach never had a losing season before coming to Pullman make you stop and think about the previous regime? Leach turned around Kentucky for crying out loud. The guy will adapt and succeed. Hopefully the linear minded simpletons don't run him out of town before that day comes.

I can't believe after the disaster that was the Wulff era, that the same mindset prevails, though championed by a different group of posters. 600 posts bickering over the virtue of two coaches who combined have won 15 games against BCS competition with the Cougs in 7 years. I am having a tough time coming to grips with the fact that Patrol and I seem to be the only posters who don't give a rat's arse who the coach is, so long he produces. 8 years of endless, and I mean endless, excuses why Wuleach is not to blame. "The cupboad was bare," "it takes time," "a break here a break there," on and on.

We know that the cupboard wasn't exactly bare when Wulff took over. We know that the cupboard wasn't exactly bare when Leach took over (he squeezed 6 wins out of a team full of Wulff recruits). We know from history that it doesn't take the time you are suggesting to rebuild a decimated program, but it does take two good recruiting classes right out of the box and 3-4 years, only rarely does success come after that.

I will start your reasoning for you:

1. The 2015 recruit class is a hotch above (athletic-wise) than past classes.

This is a thought experiment. If you struggle to fill in 2, 3, 4, it's time to start being more demanding of Leach. Successful football programs aren't built on excuses, they are built on a demanding work environments and high expectations.
Alright SoCal…your turn. Does Leach get your support? Can you fill in the remaining 3 spots on your list? Do the below posts convince you of anything?

It's unreasonable because Wulff never sniffed 6 wins in his WSU tenure. He just got fired for leading one of the worst offenses in the country after one year. He's currently unemployed. Is that enough for you?

All of the pro Wullf/anti-Leach crowd are writing off 2015 like we already finished 3-9. To answer the title of this thread, Leach is a proven winner in a power 5 conference that hasn't forgotten how to coach. Doesn't the fact Leach never had a losing season before coming to Pullman make you stop and think about the previous regime? Leach turned around Kentucky for crying out loud. The guy will adapt and succeed. Hopefully the linear minded simpletons don't run him out of town before that day comes.
You were probably one who posted we would go 8-4 last yr despite losing our best players on defense.

He's the only guy I've ever seen who has a running play go for 10 yds...then follows it up with 4 straight pass plays for a turnover on downs (1st quarter Apple Cup)

His goofy offense is too easy to defend. The fact we were 8th in the nation in passing yet 7th in our conference in total offense should be concerning...and that's before we get to the defense and the special teams.

We are going to have to put more points on the board. I think Leach is capable of tweaking his offense...but he's too stubborn to do so...and the recruiting hasn't been very good...nowhere near Mike Price.

We'll see...but no thanks to the Kool Aid.

And BTW...the SEC has never seen that offense before. We've seen passing offenses like this for 30 yrs

Uhhh, because we're talking about Wulff.

That's like saying you would score high in a spelling bee or writing competition.

You were probably one who posted we would go 8-4 last yr despite losing our best players on defense.

He's the only guy I've ever seen who has a running play go for 10 yds...then follows it up with 4 straight pass plays for a turnover on downs (1st quarter Apple Cup)

His goofy offense is too easy to defend. The fact we were 8th in the nation in passing yet 7th in our conference in total offense should be concerning...and that's before we get to the defense and the special teams.

We are going to have to put more points on the board. I think Leach is capable of tweaking his offense...but he's too stubborn to do so...and the recruiting hasn't been very good...nowhere near Mike Price.

And BTW...the SEC has never seen that offense before. We've seen passing offenses like this for 30 yrs

Incorrect.

There were eight teams who passed for more than we did?

He's going to point out he meant scoring offense in conference. He won't point out that we're roughly a FG per game from second or third. And our kicking was... underwhelming.
Yep...that's what I meant. And Leach needs to get a kicker. From spring, doesn't sound like he did that

Yep...that's what I meant. And Leach needs to get a kicker. From spring, doesn't sound like he did that
Powell drilled a 40-some yarder, textbook, would have been good from another ten yards out.

Then Breashers came out for a 20 yarder with two seconds left in the half...

I don't wanna see that guy kick anymore, is what I'm saying.

You do realize that Kentucky is in the SEC? On second thought, you probably don't.
No kidding...which is why I posted that the Sec has never seen this offense before in replying to mfl's post about Leach having success at Kentucky

So it's this stuff, sponge… I wonder what the motivation is for posting this stuff. Are you saying, "Hey, if we want to win the conference, this needs to change." or are you saying, "If this doesn't improve, Leach needs to go." or what? All you said was "It's concerning". I get it that we are 7th in the PAC in scoring… but further your thought. You kinda left this open-ended and I'm left with assuming you are trying to bash CML… Rather than jump all over you on it, I'm seeing if you'll further this…
Because I'll be honest, I see this as improvement. It needs to improve more, obviously. But we are moving in the right direction, aren't we?

No kidding...which is why I posted that the Sec has never seen this offense before in replying to mfl's post about Leach having success at Kentucky
Then you should have written "had not", not "has not" seen this offense before. No kidding.

Ed, Wulff was never going to get to 6 wins. It's like saying Willingham would have figured it out at the UW or Nick Holt snorts would turn him into a DC. We went cheap not paying Price, cheap by promoting Doba, and cheap with Wulff. Wulff wasn't going to get WSU to bowl eligible. Bad coaches at challenging stops just don't get to 6 wins in a P5 conference without a lot of help.

Ed, Wulff was never going to get to 6 wins. It's like saying Willingham would have figured it out at the UW or Nick Holt snorts would turn him into a DC. We went cheap not paying Price, cheap by promoting Doba, and cheap with Wulff. Wulff wasn't going to get WSU to bowl eligible. Bad coaches at challenging stops just don't get to 6 wins in a P5 conference without a lot of help.
All great points Save, all great points. Let's see what Ed and his brother try to use to refute this.

I just don't see a "Wulff Bowl in 2013" in hindsight as even a modest possibility. Wulff doesn't get Mayle, Gauta, Sagote, for starters.

And nothing in four years of watching Wulff game coach- not talent, per se, but his in-game decisions- would make me think he'd beat USC one time in a hundred, let alone the one time.

I'm still looking forward to what the coach we have now will do. And since he's left here, the "Coach Wulff: Hindsight's Warrior" tome hasn't added any good chapters. So why do people keep adding to that book?

This is the first year they really get mature players, recruited by this coach, and that is somewhat exciting. Imagining things the last coach might have done if he could coach... isn't.

No kidding. In an attempt to appear reasonable and rational, flat can't help but let his freak flag fly. As I have stated many times, if Leach had brought in some JC help on defense - perhaps improving on the Gautas, Sagotes - WSU wins 6 to 8 games last year. For the coming season, we'll have Mitchell, Luani, Porter, and Broughton coming in from the JC ranks to mix with Vaeao, Ekuale, Paulo, McLennan, Palacio and others. We'll likely have a new kicker in Abramo, and we'll have a bunch more guys available for special teams.

So it's this stuff, sponge… I wonder what the motivation is for posting this stuff. Are you saying, "Hey, if we want to win the conference, this needs to change." or are you saying, "If this doesn't improve, Leach needs to go." or what? All you said was "It's concerning". I get it that we are 7th in the PAC in scoring… but further your thought. You kinda left this open-ended and I'm left with assuming you are trying to bash CML… Rather than jump all over you on it, I'm seeing if you'll further this…
Because I'll be honest, I see this as improvement. It needs to improve more, obviously. But we are moving in the right direction, aren't we?
Well, I think we'll be moving in the right direction if he tweaks his offense a bit by running the ball a little more. Yes, I probably am bashing him because the play calling drives me nuts at times..like the series I mentioned above.

If we don't run the ball, teams are going to make the qb be perfect for 80 yd drives by dropping 8 and not giving up big plays.

Thing is, I think the offense could be really good if we ran it enough to make lbs and safeties peak into the backfield. And I'm not buying the argument our oline is not good enough. I've seen plenty of runs that say otherwise..when we actually give it a chance

Last edited:
I laughed at your dumb comeback. Seriously, why do you bother coming here? You can count the people who take you seriously on one hand and still have fingers left over.
Just shut the hell up 90. It is very clear what I said and what I meant.

Well, I think we'll be moving in the right direction if he tweaks his offense a bit by running the ball a little more. Yes, I probably am bashing him because the play calling drives me nuts at times..like the series I mentioned above.

If we don't run the ball, teams are going to make the qb be perfect for 80 yd drives by dropping 8 and not giving up big plays.

Thing is, I think the offense could be really good if we ran it enough to make lbs and safeties peak into the backfield. And I'm not buying the argument our oline is not good enough. I've seen plenty of runs that say otherwise..when we actually give it a chance
See, the difference is that you think Leach won't run because then he's not the smartest guy in the room. Most people think it's because the pieces to run short yardage effectively just aren't there- our short yardage game being atrocious says that it's more the latter than the former. So does his TT background. I'd bet our run numbers also improved with Falk rather than Halliday, too.

EXACTLY. We were 7th… in the NATION EDIT: in overall Offense, sponge. Link. http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21

EDIT: Oregon, was the only pac12 team to be better.
Well....how many points do you get for having a great offense between the 20's? You know I was at a bball tourney this past weekend. The team that came in second scored 69 the first game, and won 69-19. They kept chucking threes with the game well in hand. They play their second game, again a three fest. Beat that team by putting up threes and win 57-20. Third game they win 47-40. Play in the championship game, they got three threes off all game, and they put up 32 points. Yardage is the same as a three. Looks great. But if you are top ten in yardage and number 7 in the conference I am sorry there is a disconnect.

Maybe with a better running game, maybe with better route runners and a more mobile qb that will be the case.

Well....how many points do you get for having a great offense between the 20's? You know I was at a bball tourney this past weekend. The team that came in second scored 69 the first game, and won 69-19. They kept chucking threes with the game well in hand. They play their second game, again a three fest. Beat that team by putting up threes and win 57-20. Third game they win 47-40. Play in the championship game, they got three threes off all game, and they put up 32 points. Yardage is the same as a three. Looks great. But if you are top ten in yardage and number 7 in the conference I am sorry there is a disconnect.

Maybe with a better running game, maybe with better route runners and a more mobile qb that will be the case.
Granted, most of that disconnect is your ST, when you combine the touchdown returns for the opposition and your not just "missed field goals", but unwillingness to consider kicking from outside the 15, really.

I'd bet those five or so points a game would clear up the disconnect.

Good grief Save...they were one inch from having five wins in 2011 with their backup and 3rd string qb's. Granted, Lobster and Halliday had to coach themselves but they got it done. Why is it hard to see sixth win coming against OSU with a healthy Tuel, or SDSU.

I don't think it is all that far fetched. If you are to ask me who is more likely to string 6 or 7 win seasons together it is Leach. Who would I rather have, Leach. But Wulff with Morton, Levy, Ball, and the new line coach on d I can't say they had horrible game day decisions. I don't recall them having a 17 point lead on a CU team that lost to Sac State, whichh may have been the worst team in the country and we pissed away a 20 point lead. Again, same in the bowl game. You have an all time record throwing the ball, 800 plus yards of offense and you lose? Leach for sure was a great OC and head coach. He certainly looks mortal at this point without the talent he was able to get at Tech.

Leach has done some good things in his time at WSU and given the failures and excuses of Wulff's tenure, it's no surprise that many of our fans are grateful for something else. The problem that I have with Leach is that I think that it's quite possible that Wulff would have led WSU to a 6-7 season in 2013. It really wasn't an accomplishment in my book. It's kind of like getting excited about the first time your kid takes a dump in the toilet on his own. It's great for you as a fan of your own kid, but none of your friends are going to come to a party to celebrate it.

The win in LA against USC in 2013 and pulling off surprising wins against Utah and Arizona give me hope. The general landscape of WSU football IS improving. However, the actual winning part still kind of sucks and we have a lot of people spending a lot of time making excuses. Leach is kind of feeling like Wulff in that respect. I'm still hopeful that Leach is the guy but as far as I'm concerned, he's got two seasons to get us back into a bowl game or it's over. Nothing will happen if we don't make it to a bowl game this year other than people bitching. No bowl game in 2016 and we have to acknowledge that Leach's time has come and gone. If we keep him around at that point, we should have saved the money and just kept Wulff.

Flat, let us assume a hypothetical. There is a parallel universe somewhere and in that universe the previous staff had been retained. In 2013 they go 6-7 with a minor bowl. Meanwhile back here on Earth Leach and his guys are doing the same thing. So there is no difference and it isn't really much of an accomplishment by leach and staff. Wrong! Big difference! We are all Cougs and supported the previous staff for that reason in various degrees of enthusiasm and sincerity. We wished them well but after watching the program for awhile it became apparent to most of us that it just was not working out and the best we could reasonably expect would be the occasional 0.500 season. CPW's mythical 6-7 would be regarded as the peak of expected performance by most of us who were paying attention. CML's 6-7 was a breath of fresh air, an omen of better times, etc. etc. Big big difference and that brief dose of optimism was something that had not been accomplished in Pullman for years.

I generally avoid these CPW vs. CML battles as they seem to descend into acrimony and puerile insults until finally ending without resolve. That said, I think it highly unlikely that the previous staff would have been able to duplicate the current staff's 2013 record and I will let it go at that.

Good grief Save...they were one inch from having five wins in 2011 with their backup and 3rd string qb's. Granted, Lobster and Halliday had to coach themselves but they got it done. Why is it hard to see sixth win coming against OSU with a healthy Tuel, or SDSU.

I don't think it is all that far fetched. If you are to ask me who is more likely to string 6 or 7 win seasons together it is Leach. Who would I rather have, Leach. But Wulff with Morton, Levy, Ball, and the new line coach on d I can't say they had horrible game day decisions. I don't recall them having a 17 point lead on a CU team that lost to Sac State, whichh may have been the worst team in the country and we pissed away a 20 point lead. Again, same in the bowl game. You have an all time record throwing the ball, 800 plus yards of offense and you lose? Leach for sure was a great OC and head coach. He certainly looks mortal at this point without the talent he was able to get at Tech.
Remember Montana State? That was Wulff managing with all the faculties, and he was so confused by a lead, and scared of losing to an FCS team, that he tried to give the game away.

You'll have to remind me of the time Wulff did an awesome job in a bowl game. I don't remember it. Also, usually Wulff didn't have a lead to blow.

Usually ever.

Reactions: YakiCoug
See, the difference is that you think Leach won't run because then he's not the smartest guy in the room. Most people think it's because the pieces to run short yardage effectively just aren't there- our short yardage game being atrocious says that it's more the latter than the former. So does his TT background. I'd bet our run numbers also improved with Falk rather than Halliday, too.
I wasn't talking about short yardage situations.

Ed,

What happened in the 2011 Utah game when we ended up short? What did Wulff do with his job on the line? Sat there like a clueless moron and sent the field goal unit on from the one inch line. Only to predictability lose the game in OT. This was probably foreign territory for your hero as our games were usually over in the first quarter.

Reactions: wulffui
I wasn't talking about short yardage situations.
No, you want them to run in these mythical situations where the other team won't expect it, but to do it more, which will make them... wait for it... start expecting it.

You don't seem to acknowledge that the cause will have an effect, and again, as we've seen, we run poorly when teams expect it.

Ed,

What happened in the 2011 Utah game when we ended up short? What did Wulff do with his job on the line? Sat there like a clueless moron and sent the field goal unit on from the one inch line. Only to predictability lose the game in OT. This was probably foreign territory for your hero as our games were usually over in the first quarter.
Who needs blown leads, when you can endorse the kind of work that has opponents taking knees in an "and goal" situation... to end the FIRST half? Because they pity you.

More of that, please!

Again, laughed at your childish behavior and comeback. Why are you here? You are not wanted.
You should be laughing at yourself because you can't understand my response to Mike F Leach when it was very clear.

And do you think I give a rip what you and your fellow anonymous pencil necks around here think?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT