ADVERTISEMENT

What exactly has Leach done to deserve all your support?

See, the difference is that you think Leach won't run because then he's not the smartest guy in the room. Most people think it's because the pieces to run short yardage effectively just aren't there- our short yardage game being atrocious says that it's more the latter than the former. So does his TT background. I'd bet our run numbers also improved with Falk rather than Halliday, too.

They didn't last year.

Good grief Save...they were one inch from having five wins in 2011 with their backup and 3rd string qb's. Granted, Lobster and Halliday had to coach themselves but they got it done. Why is it hard to see sixth win coming against OSU with a healthy Tuel, or SDSU.

I don't think it is all that far fetched. If you are to ask me who is more likely to string 6 or 7 win seasons together it is Leach. Who would I rather have, Leach. But Wulff with Morton, Levy, Ball, and the new line coach on d I can't say they had horrible game day decisions. I don't recall them having a 17 point lead on a CU team that lost to Sac State, whichh may have been the worst team in the country and we pissed away a 20 point lead. Again, same in the bowl game. You have an all time record throwing the ball, 800 plus yards of offense and you lose? Leach for sure was a great OC and head coach. He certainly looks mortal at this point without the talent he was able to get at Tech.

Tuel played in the OSU game and they lost by 23.

And they lost to SDSU by 18 with Lobbestael playing every bit as serviceable as Tuel's norm.

And, of course, since we're subbing in mythical wins, does "Healthy Tuel" throw for the 494 & 4 it took to beat ASU?

And no, that team didn't lose to a terrible CU team, they beat them by all of 4 points on a busted coverage by a converted WR playing CB.

It takes a lot of "ifs & buts" to get that '11 team to a bowl game. But, I'll admit, being even within "if & but" range was a massive improvement for Wulff over his previous efforts.

Wulff for one pattern his plan after Price's. TWo, in retrospect had a decent idea about what a Pac 10 lineman looked liked. Three, He did good job of getting Pac 10 QB's on the roster when no one wanted Tuel and Cal came in late on Halliday. DB's were ok, and one tirned out to be really good.

He did what Doba didn't do is get rid of the dead weight, made the tough decisions. Doba didn't recruit one All Pac 10 defensive player as a head coach. Wulff had two players drafted in the first three rounds of the draft. And he was reruiting off what?

Some coaches don't have a calling card. You can down play his success at Eastern all you want. He did a good job. There are plenty of examples of coaches who aren't dynamic but have a system and a philosophy.

If they gained one more inch that is five wins, so they were a play or two away from 6 wins.

And they were a play or two from being 2-10.

And how do you give credit to Wulff for "having a decent idea what a Pac 10 lineman looked like", then dig on Doba for not recruiting one All Pac 10 D player as a head coach?

I must have missed the lengthy list of All Pac 10 OL Wulff either recruited, or coached.

F-i-L....or FIL...funny you mention that. Young teams make young mistakes. A mature team would have had time plus a timeout to know exactly where it was. If this was USC or Oregon and not WSU whether it is PRice's WU or Doba or whoever, that goal line play gets reviewed or the refs at least stop the clock and talk it over. JUst like when WIcks scored against Cal, WU never gets the benefit of the doubt.

With that said, if the previous two plays the receiver runs out of bounds instead of tries to gain another 5 yards, and conversely, the next play where the WR runs out of bounds where it looks like he really had a chance to make a play and score, both young players mistakes. As far as who would have gone for it and who would have kicked it, conventional wisdom is you kick it and take your chance in OT. Your QB is hot. The otehr QB is marginal. Stop White, you stop Utah.

But I will say one play is moronic with a freshman QB at the helm in HAlliday. Match that up against the clock management against Cal in which WSU had a senior Connor Halliday running the show and instead of getting off another play he calls time out. Run the ball one more time and then call the time out. Why did Leach allow that to happen? Then he sends out a kicker who shanks an extra point.

See, every play and every close game can be equally scrutinized. Upper classmen do the things, the small things that win games.

So now Wulff lost the Utah game because of an officials conspiracy against, not just WSU, but specifically WULFF'S WSU? Wow.

And that youthful player who stayed in bounds was SR Jared Karstetter.

So now Wulff lost the Utah game because of an officials conspiracy against, not just WSU, but specifically WULFF'S WSU? Wow.

And that youthful player who stayed in bounds was SR Jared Karstetter.

Ed hates facts. They get in the way of his Laws of Historical Fact and Probability. I'll also point out that Wulff had to burn all his TOs to get to the point where WSU would have the opportunity for a last desperate drive.

And they lost to SDSU by 18 with Lobbestael playing every bit as serviceable as Tuel's norm.

And, of course, since we're subbing in mythical wins, does "Healthy Tuel" throw for the 494 & 4 it took to beat ASU?

And no, that team didn't lose to a terrible CU team, they beat them by all of 4 points on a busted coverage by a converted WR playing CB.

It takes a lot of "ifs & buts" to get that '11 team to a bowl game. But, I'll admit, being even within "if & but" range was a massive improvement for Wulff over his previous efforts.
That's right. I had forgotten about that. That WR had only been player CB for two weeks I believe. A safety had also been moved over from RB the week before.

It took the best freshman QB performance in conference history to win that game against an ASU team in free fall.

Trying to copy Price was probably a good idea but not a strength. Price went out and got Bledsoe who had a former Husky player for a father. Price was the QB coach and Involved in the offense. When you say QB was a strength for Price there are multiple examples for why beyond finding a Jeff Tuel. I like Tuel but he wasn't a program changing QB. Same thing for OLM. The one thing I thought we would get with Wulff was an emphasis on the OL but it was always a weakness.

I don't see strengths that set him apart from a lot of other coaches in the Pac 10/12. If he had a lot of things he was average at then maybe that adds up to a strength but that didn't appear to be the case.
First, not sure if Tuel was a program changer or not. He was always hurt. Was he Bledsoe, no, but Bledsoe had games where he was a turnover. Bledsoe like Leaf had one year. But the heights were probably higher than Tuel. Tuel with the right pieces was an 8 win qb at best. But it could be argued at the time he was considered among the top three qb's in the conference going into 2011.

Actually, recruiting lineman has always been a problem at WSU. Maybe that is why I give him leeway. He identified good lineman, he just had trouble reeling them in. Just like Price, just like Doba. Gonzales was slated to be a very good lineman. Guerra was functional. Fullington developed. Did you know Jake Rodgers was drafted?

And that youthful player who stayed in bounds was SR Jared Karstetter.[/QUOT

Really Fab...read this very clearly. I think Wicks scored against Cal. Leach thought so to. Thought it would be reviewed. It should have been in my opinion. Conspiracy? Nope. Lack of respect, yes. If that was USC instead of WSU against Cal I would guarantee the refs would have at least reviewed it.

Same with Wilsons catch, no conspiracy. Simply saying if it was another program it gets reviewed. But Wulff's decision was sound. He didn't know if there was an inch, 5 inches, or a yard because of the snow.

Also, his inability to properly manage the clock is no different than Leach's against Cal, save one coach had a freshman qb, the other one had a senior qb.

Leach was playing for our bowl season, and knew his kicker was shaky at best. He could have pounded it in. But chose to do the smart thing after a blown time out was called.

You keep comparing Leach with Wulff... why? Why not start looking forward? It's been 4 years, has it not? Why don't ever compare Leach to his peer group?

Also: your post seems to reflect a belief some are calling for Leach's head. Who? Where have they done this? can you refer a link for context and accuracy?

I keep comparing Leach to every good coach in the rest of college football. People on this board keep comparing him to Wulff. He's better than Wulff so he's fine! As for peer group, pray tell, what is his "peer group"? Sonny Dykes at Cal? You can bet your a$$ that if Cal is below 0.500 this year, Dykes is going to be seeking other employment. Rich Rodriguez got Arizona into the Top 10 at one point last year in his third year. Jim Mora took a program that had stumbled to a 10-16 record in Neuheisal's final two seasons and is 29-11 in his tenure. Sarkisian took a program that had gone 12-47 in the five years prior to his arrival and finished his career at UW with a 35-29 record. Sarkisian is 9-4 at USC where Kiffin was bumbling to a 10-8 finish to his time with the Trojans. Todd Graham took over a Sun Devil program on a slide that had gone 16-21 in Erickson's final three seasons. He has a 28-12 record at ASU. Not that it means much, but MacIntyre won as many games in his first season at Colorado as Embree had in his two seasons. Another 2-10 finish and you can bet that the hook is going to be readied up for him and a failure in year four will send him packing.

Do you mean that peer group? By all means, tell me how great Leach has done compared to his peer group!

If you read what I said, I'm not saying that anyone is calling for Leach's head. I'm not calling for his head right now. I'm saying that if we don't make it to a bowl game this year, there will be plenty of angry talk and the hot seat will be fired up. If we don't make it to a bowl game in 2016, it will be at a full boil. At that point, the idiotic contract that Moos signed with Leach would look pretty stupid. At that point, Moos is going to have to decide if he wants to spend some of our Pac-12 TV money getting a new coach. I certainly hope that it doesn't come to that, but we don't owe Leach anything based on what he did at Texas Tech and he hasn't done enough at WSU to justify his salary. For the comments above saying that Leach has raised our exposure and made us relevant, I would argue that a failure on his part imparts incredible damage to our program because there are those that will declare that it's proof that WSU is a career killer, despite the fact that many successful coaches have been at WSU and went onto other jobs (Sweeney, Powers, Erickson and Walden being the most recent examples).

And how do you give credit to Wulff for "having a decent idea what a Pac 10 lineman looked like", then dig on Doba for not recruiting one All Pac 10 D player as a head coach?

I must have missed the lengthy list of All Pac 10 OL Wulff either recruited, or coached.

Well simple...you have a coach from Eastern that walks into a program that went from 10 wins and cut them in half, which was clearly falling behind on recruiting. He walked into a situation where the bowl games where no longer in the rear view mirror. He had Williams drafted, he had Fullington make the 53 man roster, and Jake Rodgers was just drafted in the 7th round. \

Let's look at what Doba did on the heels of two ten win seaon's...how many Olineman were drafted ? Its ok, you can say it. How many of his olineman actually made a roster?

So, when Wulff calls to kick a chippy to tie a game- good move, couldn't tell if the ball was closer to the one or the goalline.

When Leach makes that same call, for an outright win... it's bad, and he should have punched it in?

We lost BOTH games, BTW.

And leach was a dropped ball from being 2-10 this past season.

Well simple...you have a coach from Eastern that walks into a program that went from 10 wins and cut them in half, which was clearly falling behind on recruiting. He walked into a situation where the bowl games where no longer in the rear view mirror. He had Williams drafted, he had Fullington make the 53 man roster, and Jake Rodgers was just drafted in the 7th round. \

Let's look at what Doba did on the heels of two ten win seaon's...how many Olineman were drafted ? Its ok, you can say it. How many of his olineman actually made a roster?
I'm shocked that Wulff landing a guy who couldn't hack it at the PXII level is once again proof of how great 9-40 was.

So, when Wulff calls to kick a chippy to tie a game- good move, couldn't tell if the ball was closer to the one or the goalline.

When Leach makes that same call, for an outright win... it's bad, and he should have punched it in?

We lost BOTH games, BTW.
Nope...not at all wulffui...just pointing out the bs argument that's all.

I'm shocked that Wulff landing a guy who couldn't hack it at the PXII level is once again proof of how great 9-40 was.
Hmmmm...maybe it was coaching, maybe that is why he couldn't hack it and went to Eastern to get good coaching. That argument sound familiar? The fact the NFL liked him enough to draft him says something.

And making your excuse makes your middle name "Wulff". Mike Fing Wulff Leach. It has a nice ring to it. Stanford went 16-40 before Harbaugh took over. Not 9-40 but in the same ballpark. In year four, they went 12-1. I'd be happy with a frickin' bowl game. Kansas State had gone 6-55 in the six years before Bill Snyder took over. They were 7-4 in year 3 and 9-2-1 in year 5 of his tenure at KSU. Florida State went 4-29 in their three years before Bobby Bowden took over and went 10-2 in his second year. The goddamned Huskies went 12-47 before Sarkisian took over and they were in a bowl game in year two with him. Stop making freakin' excuses! It's pathetic. Leach needs to do a better job of earning his pay. He deserves a pass on 2012 because things were a mess. 2013 was fine other than the abomination of a bowl game that ruined it. 2014 was a pathetic showing. Bumbling away winnable games is the coach's responsibility.

Let me get this straight, you are willing to throw out 2012, but are writing the coach off for having one bowl season in 2 years? At WSU of all places?

Reactions: Coug95man2

And they led UCLA with 3:30 minutes left in the game. So yeah, they were close in 2011.

Trying to copy Price was probably a good idea but not a strength. Price went out and got Bledsoe who had a former Husky player for a father. Price was the QB coach and Involved in the offense. When you say QB was a strength for Price there are multiple examples for why beyond finding a Jeff Tuel. I like Tuel but he wasn't a program changing QB. Same thing for OLM. The one thing I thought we would get with Wulff was an emphasis on the OL but it was always a weakness.

I don't see strengths that set him apart from a lot of other coaches in the Pac 10/12. If he had a lot of things he was average at then maybe that adds up to a strength but that didn't appear to be the case.
Not sure I disagree with you. Not sure there was anything that set Walden apart from anyone, or Jim Sweeney while he was here for that matter. Doesn't mean they aren't finding good players, and doesn't mean they aren't coaching up what they have.

Hmmmm...maybe it was coaching, maybe that is why he couldn't hack it and went to Eastern to get good coaching. That argument sound familiar? The fact the NFL liked him enough to draft him says something.
That someone dropped a division to get better coaching? No, that argument sounds like you making up BS to slam the coaching staff we have now.

How can say he knew what an OL looked like when he recruited maybe 5 of them in 4 years???

Jeff Tuel was d2. That was why no one offered him. He did a whole lot of not much in high school, a whole lot of nothing spectacular at WSU and lost his starting job and then he lands in the NFL on the team that has the worst QB talent in the league. He is a coach killer. I've never seen a player get so many opportunities while providing so little results. We should all be so lucky to have so many chances to produce while failing every time.

You're clueless ed.

Maybe, but Roos was drafted out of Eastern, All Pro. Williams was drafted out of WSU, as now was Jake Rodgers, and Fullington was on the practice squad. How does that record compare to that of Price and Doba?

Maybe, but Roos was drafted out of Eastern, All Pro. Williams was drafted out of WSU, as now was Jake Rodgers, and Fullington was on the practice squad. How does that record compare to that of Price and Doba?
There are other positions on a football team besides OL- how does Wulff stack up by comparison at those positions?

Bad, right?

Leach has never had a losing season until coming to Pullman. He is cleaning up the 9-40 mess. If progress isn't linear, the heads explode for the binary morons.

Let Leach have his 4th year before you start pounding the table for a change.
You just hit on the concern. He has never had a losing season until Pullman. He has never had to rebuild a program. He took over for Dykes who went bowling often, and he had success at Lubbock before Leach took over.

There are other positions on a football team besides OL- how does Wulff stack up by comparison at those positions?

Bad, right?
QB? Seems pretty decent. Agre or disagree? Would you rather have Tuel and Halliday or Rodgers for one year, Lopina for two, and JT Levy for 4?

Pole, Rankin and Cooper all seemed pretty functional. Who would I rather have, Laurenzi for one year, Pole ,Cooper and Paulo for three years or Matt E, Ahmu for one, and Toby Turpin for two but ran into academic problems and injuries cut short his career.

Kaufusi Mizel Coen, for three years or Trent, Evans for one? I think I know which way I would go with these comparisons.

Who needs blown leads, when you can endorse the kind of work that has opponents taking knees in an "and goal" situation... to end the FIRST half? Because they pity you.

More of that, please!
Wait a second, aren't you the one who is telling people to let 2015 play out before they are critical? Aren't you really saying leave 2014 in the rear view mirror and 2015 should stand on itself in terms of improvement, yet you bring up 2008 USC game yet don't mention the 2009 game and the market improvement?

QB? Seems pretty decent. Agre or disagree? Would you rather have Tuel and Halliday or Rodgers for one year, Lopina for two, and JT Levy for 4?

Pole, Rankin and Cooper all seemed pretty functional. Who would I rather have, Laurenzi for one year, Pole ,Cooper and Paulo for three years or Matt E, Ahmu for one, and Toby Turpin for two but ran into academic problems and injuries cut short his career.

Kaufusi Mizel Coen, for three years or Trent, Evans for one? I think I know which way I would go with these comparisons.
The DL/LB comparison- if Wulff wasn't impressed with the talent he inherited, why didn't he go get a Gauta, or a Sagote, to add to his deficient groups, like Leach did?

Leach didn't see a ready unit, obviously.

Wait a second, aren't you the one who is telling people to let 2015 play out before they are critical? Aren't you really saying leave 2014 in the rear view mirror and 2015 should stand on itself in terms of improvement, yet you bring up 2008 USC game yet don't mention the 2009 game and the market improvement?
Nope, I'm not telling anyone anything. Have your opinion, it's wrong, but have it, no less.

Wasn't 2009 Hawaii 35, WSU 0 at 10 minutes of the second quarter? Yes, lets discuss the marked improvement.

What is funny Wulffui was that I laughed at his thought process too when I came upon your answer. He cherry picked one set of downs. Oh, by the way, I still hate the new format for the forum.
I didn't cherry pick anything. I used an example that is fairly common in his offense

You just hit on the concern. He has never had a losing season until Pullman. He has never had to rebuild a program. He took over for Dykes who went bowling often, and he had success at Lubbock before Leach took over.
And I think that is the very reason, I for one, have a little more patience. We've NEVER had a coach that is proven for any real length of time in WSU history. We now have a coach that we know can win and knows how to win. And we want to treat him like a coach that is literally the worst coach in D1 history?

THAT part is one of the major points that makes no sense to me in this whole CML vs. CPW debate. This whole, "Not fair" or "Sounds like the same crap 5 years ago" comments pay no attention to the fact the 2 coaches are completely different caliber.

Reactions: MikeFingLeach
And I think that is the very reason, I for one, have a little more patience. We've NEVER had a coach that is proven for any real length of time in WSU history. We now have a coach that we know can win and knows how to win. And we want to treat him like a coach that is literally the worst coach in D1 history?

THAT part is one of the major points that makes no sense to me in this whole CML vs. CPW debate. This whole, "Not fair" or "Sounds like the same crap 5 years ago" comments pay no attention to the fact the 2 coaches are completely different caliber.
Mike Price and '92,'94,'97,2001,2002, and 2003 disagree with you

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT