ADVERTISEMENT

2015 recruiting class size: I think Leach goes all in...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
Here's my rough math, based on my knowledge of what you can do:

1. You can only give 25 new scholarships in a year.
and
2. Protect 25 (up to 28 if they gray-shirt) with an LOI. The LOI period is Dec-May.

Hillinski does not count as an LOI because he is enrolled and signed his financial aid agreement over the summer. Singleton had an signed LOI last year. These two will count towards the 25 new scholarships for the fall...assuming all the spots last year were taken (their is word they were).

Edit: Kyrin Priester, the Clemson transfer, who is listed on the student directory, is another that won't potentially count towards the LOI number as he signed his financial aid agreement prior to December.

That means 23 kids can enroll in the fall. The remaining will be gray-shirts.

I fully believe Leach will get as close to 28 LOIs as he can. The class size, with Hillinski, might be 29. That potentially means having 5 guys delay enrollment, or, being part-time students on their own dime.

That means the 2016 class, arguably, will probably be closer to around 20 kids, maybe more if we get a few gray-shirts.

What this tells me is, Leach knows his window to win is very short and he's doing everything he can to get as much talent in the doors as possible.

This post was edited on 1/21 11:25 AM by ttowncoug

Originally posted by ttowncoug:

and
2. Protect 25 (up to 28 if they gray-shirt) with an LOI. The LOI period is Dec-May.

Hillinski does not count as an LOI because he is enrolled and signed his financial aid agreement over the summer. Singleton had an signed LOI last year. These two will count towards the 25 new scholarships for the fall...assuming all the spots last year were taken (their is word they were).

I fully believe Leach will get as close to 28 LOIs as he can. The class size, with Hillinski, might be 29. That potentially means having 5 guys delay enrollment, or, being part-time students on their own dime.

That means the 2016 class, arguably, will probably be closer to around 20 kids, maybe more if we get a few gray-shirts.

What this tells me is, Leach knows his window to win is very short and he's doing everything he can to get as much talent in the doors as possible.
The rule is that a program can enroll no more than 25 players in the fall. I might be wrong, but those who enroll mid-year (the classic "gray shirt") can be counted toward the previous year, providing scholarships have opened due to players graduating mid-year or leaving the program.

Originally posted by YakiCoug:

and

The rule is that a program can enroll no more than 25 players in the fall. I might be wrong, but those who enroll mid-year (the classic "gray shirt") can be counted toward the previous year, providing scholarships have opened due to players graduating mid-year or leaving the program.
Mid-year guys can only count towards the previous year if you did not take a full 25 the previous year, which Washington State did. As ttowncoug notes, there's no room to push guys back in this class. Graduating mid-year guys and/or players leaving the program only open up scholarships in the overall 85 - they have no impact on incoming class numbers.

So we can't "greayshirt" anyone. We will be asking players to either stick around for a year on their own dime and not be on the team (does this even happen?), bow out of their "commitment", or WSU drops the offer from those that have committed … Is that what I'm hearing?

Yaki - they changed the rules a few years ago. It used to be you could sign as many guys as you want (oversigning) with the understanding some kids wouldn't make it in anyway.

Now, mid-year enrollees can count against the 25 scholarship count, for the prior year, IF, you can available spots to give. If not, they have to roll forward to the next fall's 25 count.

I can't recall if you used to be able to sign more at semester to bypass this 25 intitial counter rules. I tend to think Price did something like this, so you might have been able too.

The new rule that was instituted a couple years ago is you can't sign more than 25 (or 28 with grayshirts) from Dec to May. This is done to prevent schools from loading up (30 or more) and then turning kids loose prior to enrollment.

The NCAA is basically coming down on the SEC schools that used to make a habit of oversigning.

Grayshirts now, are delayed enrollment to semester. And yes, you can do it. They can enroll in school, be part-time, on their own dime. They can't participate in any team activities.

They also could change their status to a walk-on, wait two years and then get on scholarship.

Grayshirts now, are delayed enrollment to semester. And yes, you can do it. They can enroll in school, be part-time, on their own dime. They can't participate in any team activities.

They also could change their status to a walk-on, wait two years and then get on scholarship.
I think it's more common for them to just stay home and lift weights, rather than pay for a semester of school themselves.

Right now, they're at 27. That includes the JC guys who signed already, that includes Hillinski, that includes Singleton and that includes Prister.

So, right off the bat, they're counting on someone flipping, not qualifying, or delaying enrollment. They'd probably find a way to take a Taeon Mason, Lavon Alston, Darrin Paulo or Marcus Lewis, if they want to commit. Other than that, everyone else is probably on the outside looking in at this point.

Fab - I think you are right. The 27 includes 3 kids who won't sign an LOI this class (Hilinski, Prister, Singleton). That leaves 24 possible LOI commits, with room for 4 more. The 4 you list put us up to the max.

If everyone makes grades, etc., than we are looking at having up to 6 kids delay enrollment....which isn't a bad thing if some of the guys need time lifting weights and getting bigger.

Fab - I think you are right. The 27 includes 3 kids who won't sign an LOI this class (Hilinski, Prister, Singleton). That leaves 24 possible LOI commits, with room for 4 more. The 4 you list put us up to the max.

If everyone makes grades, etc., than we are looking at having up to 6 kids delay enrollment....which isn't a bad thing if some of the guys need time lifting weights and getting bigger.
You can only enroll 25 regardless of what they sign. They're at 27 this class. So, if everyone holds true to their commitments, 2 will either have to delay enrollment, or have their schollies pulled.

Originally posted by Britton Ransford:

and

Mid-year guys can only count towards the previous year if you did not take a full 25 the previous year, which Washington State did. As ttowncoug notes, there's no room to push guys back in this class. Graduating mid-year guys and/or players leaving the program only open up scholarships in the overall 85 - they have no impact on incoming class numbers.
Do you know if the new-ish 25 rule has any impact on giving scholarships to walk-ons? As far as I know, so long as the walk-on has been in the program 2 years, he would only count against the 85 cap. Is that still the rule?

Fab - their are limits on how many can sign an LOI from Dec-May. This
is at 25, up to 28 if they are grayshirts. This is to prevent
oversigning.

You can only new enroll 25 new each year. Yes. By my math, you've enrolled 3, with leaves 22 you can enroll in the summer. The remaining guys would have to enroll in December and would count towards 2016.

D-Gibb - yes, after 2 years a walk-on can be awarded a scholarship. These don't count as "initial counters" or better stated, new enrollees.

The key, as you state, is you can't give out more than 85.

I am sure Leach is figuring attrition of a couple, if not,

does he do what Sark has done and leave a guy hanging late into the process? I could see that happening.

Re: I am sure Leach is figuring attrition of a couple, if not,

Originally posted by CougEd:

does he do what Sark has done and leave a guy hanging late into the process? I could see that happening.
They could. They're recruiting with the big boys now.

Take it to the bank.

We will have more than 25 net commits on LOI, counting holdovers.

We will sign as many as we can.

We will get the rest to either delay enrollment or come on their own nickel with no scholie for their first semester.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have at least one kid pay his own way. There are several kids on the list whose family could afford that. Sort of like Rochestie on the basketball team a few years ago.

Re: I am sure Leach is figuring attrition of a couple, if not,

I think the process of leaving guys hanging is a slippery slope. SC's tactics at some point, could backfire. And every coach will use that against them during recruitment.

More likely, Leach and staff are meeting with the kids and for the 6 or so possible grayshirts, telling them that they may need them to delay enrollment.

and

I included the "fall" because that's what I remember as the verbiage a few years ago. I'd have to look it up again, but I also recall a provision that if any of the 25 enrolled in the fall leave school at mid-year (for whatever reason), it creates an opening for a staff to go backward, in effect. Price, I believe, said as much. As pointed out above, however, the rules were modified to prevent such a maneuver. USC, when on probation, was limited to 15 in the fall but tried to squeeze in a few more by having them enroll mid-year to take scholarships from players the Trojans chased off or those who transferred on their own or flunked out.

This post was edited on 1/21 1:38 PM by YakiCoug

Originally posted by gcarlin1:

With Canada leaving did that open a spot from last season?
No. He signed a LOI and counts as an initial counter against the 25 limit. It's the same thing with Deion Singleton, who the staff took a risk on and, as you know, never made it to campus. Regardless of Singleton making it in or not, he signed a LOI and is an initial counter against last year's 25.

There are no spots open to push guys back to last year's class because they took a full 25 last year, as I understand the rules.

Brit - I think Farrar took Singleton's spot towards last year's intitial counters. Falk also was an intitial counter.

My understanding is, every recruit from mid-year to this winter, is going to count towards this year (2015) and towards (2016).

Brit - I think Farrar took Singleton's spot towards last year's intitial counters. Falk also was an intitial counter.

My understanding is, every recruit from mid-year to this winter, is going to count towards this year (2015) and towards (2016).
It's obviously very confusing, but no one took Singleton's spot. Essentially, he takes up a spot in last year's class and this year's class. He signed a letter of intent, which means he's an initial counter in each class. I'm honestly not sure where Farrar fits it, but I know that Singelton was an initial counter this year and last.

Actually, the rule used to be that if a player had not qualified for fall enrollment, his LOI became null and void, and the scholarship set aside for him could be given to another prospect.

Actually, the rule used to be that if a player had not qualified for fall enrollment, his LOI became null and void, and the scholarship set aside for him could be given to another prospect.
This guy explains the rules better than I can...

Link: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2013/08/rutgers_recruiting_frequently_asked_questions_the_scholarship_limit.html

From the NLI organization site...
Letter becomes Null and Void
This NLI shall be declared null and void if any of the following occur:
a. Admissions Requirement. This NLI shall be declared null and void if the institution named in this document notifies me in writing that I have been denied admission or, by the opening day of classes in fall 2015, has failed to provide me with written notice of admission, provided I have submitted a complete admission application. It is my obligation to provide, by request, my academic records and an application for admission to the signing institution. If I fail to submit the necessary academic credentials and/or application to determine an admission decision prior to September 1, the NLI office per its review with the institution will determine the status of the NLI.
If I am eligible for admission, but the institution named in this document defers my admission to a subsequent term, the NLI will be declared null and void; however, this NLI remains binding if I defer my admission.
b. Eligibility Requirements.[/B] This NLI shall be declared null and void if, by the opening day of classes in fall 2015, I have not met NCAA initial eligibility requirements; NCAA, conference or institution's requirements for athletics financial aid; or two-year college transfer requirements, provided I have submitted all necessary documents for eligibility determination.[/I]
(1) This NLI shall be rendered null and void if I become a nonqualifier per the NCAA Eligibility Center. This NLI remains valid if I am a partial qualifier per NCAA Division II rules unless I do not meet the institution's policies for receipt of athletics aid.
(2) It is my obligation to register with and provide information to the NCAA Eligibility Center. If I fail to submit the necessary documentation for an initial-eligibility decision and have not attended classes at the signing institution, the NLI office per its review with the institution will determine the status of the NLI.
(3) This NLI shall be rendered null and void if I am a midyear football two-year college transfer and I fail to graduate from two-year college at midyear, if required per NCAA, conference or institutional rules. The NLI remains binding for the following fall term if I graduated, was eligible for admission and financial aid and met the two-year college transfer requirements for competition for the winter or spring term, but chose to delay my admission.

This post was edited on 1/21 1:35 PM by YakiCoug

Letter becomes null and void section

From the NLI organization site...
Letter becomes Null and Void
This NLI shall be declared null and void if any of the following occur:
a. Admissions Requirement. This NLI shall be declared null and void if the institution named in this document notifies me in writing that I have been denied admission or, by the opening day of classes in fall 2015, has failed to provide me with written notice of admission, provided I have submitted a complete admission application. It is my obligation to provide, by request, my academic records and an application for admission to the signing institution. If I fail to submit the necessary academic credentials and/or application to determine an admission decision prior to September 1, the NLI office per its review with the institution will determine the status of the NLI.
If I am eligible for admission, but the institution named in this document defers my admission to a subsequent term, the NLI will be declared null and void; however, this NLI remains binding if I defer my admission.
b. Eligibility Requirements. This NLI shall be declared null and void if, by the opening day of classes in fall 2015, I have not met NCAA initial eligibility requirements; NCAA, conference or institution's requirements for athletics financial aid; or two-year college transfer requirements, provided I have submitted all necessary documents for eligibility determination.
(1) This NLI shall be rendered null and void if I become a nonqualifier per the NCAA Eligibility Center. This NLI remains valid if I am a partial qualifier per NCAA Division II rules unless I do not meet the institution's policies for receipt of athletics aid.
(2) It is my obligation to register with and provide information to the NCAA Eligibility Center. If I fail to submit the necessary documentation for an initial-eligibility decision and have not attended classes at the signing institution, the NLI office per its review with the institution will determine the status of the NLI.
(3) This NLI shall be rendered null and void if I am a midyear football two-year college transfer and I fail to graduate from two-year college at midyear, if required per NCAA, conference or institutional rules. The NLI remains binding for the following fall term if I graduated, was eligible for admission and financial aid and met the two-year college transfer requirements for competition for the winter or spring term, but chose to delay my admission.

This post was edited on 1/21 3:33 PM by YakiCoug
Exactly. All this means is the school is no longer bound to the student and the player that does not qualify does not take up a counter in the overall 85 scholarships. That player, regardless of whether he qualifies or not, signed a NLI in the first place, so he takes up one spot in the initial 25.

This guy explains the rules better than I can...

Link: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2013/08/rutgers_recruiting_frequently_asked_questions_the_scholarship_limit.html
He offers a succinct explanation. Key paragraphs are as follows...

Players who transfer from institutions positively impact the overall (85) player scholarship limitation by opening up a spot. While players who transfer in take up a spot within the overall 85, but only count as initial counters if they transfer in at the beginning of the academic year (as opposed to mid-year). However, an even more direct component of the number of players a school can attain any given year are early enrollees; which, when combined with grayshirting, yield an over-signing work-around.

If a player has the academic credentials to enroll at his collegiate institution early - likely in January as opposed to June - that prospect will count against the 25 annual scholarship limit from the previous year. Obviously, that would mean that the school could not have issued 25 scholarships the previous year. And if they had, some of them had to have been early enrollees which would have counted towards the scholarship year previous to that. Early enrollees do not sign a NLI, and therefore don't count towards the current recruiting year's scholarship limit.
Grayshirts work similarly. However, when a recruit grayshirts, normally, they still sign a NLI like the other prospects in their class (although there are exceptions allowing them to sign the following spring). However, they don't report to the team in the summer like everyone else. Instead, they report the following semester - even two semesters down the line, in some cases - when a scholarship becomes available.
This allows the recruiting staff to get a head start on their recruiting for the following year. And the player's eligibility clock doesn't begin to wind down until the following semester, even though they essentially earn themselves an additional spring semester.
However, during that first semester, the player cannot enroll in college as a full-time
student, can't receive his scholarship, nor practice with the team. He can
attend school on his own dime but must take less than 12 college credits to still remain
eligible for the grayshirt.

A player who signs a NLI and doesn't qualify academically still counts towards the 25 annual scholarship limit for their class, but not against the overall 85. However, the actual NLI becomes null and void. (this is a point made by Britton).

So bottom line, we can only take in 25 for this period, no gray shirts because we took 25 last year. Am I reading this right?

So if we are taking in 26 or 27, what that REALLY means is, we are going to pull someone's schollie offer… Is that right?

Originally posted by Coug95man2:
So bottom line, we can only take in 25 for this period, no gray shirts because we took 25 last year. Am I reading this right?

So if we are taking in 26 or 27, what that REALLY means is, we are going to pull someone's schollie offer… Is that right?
Bottom line is that they can only take 25. This has no impact on how many kids they can grayshirt, it would just mean that those grayshirting kids would count against the 2016 class.

The other key issue is staff can ONLY issue 25 to 28 LOIs in a recruiting year (Dec - May)

This post was edited on 1/21 4:42 PM by ttowncoug

This post was edited on 1/21 5:07 PM by ttowncoug

Originally posted by Coug95man2:

Bottom line is that they can only take 25. This has no impact on how many kids they can grayshirt, it would just mean that those grayshirting kids would count against the 2016 class.

It means a coaching staff simply gets a head start, so to speak, on the 2016 class, assuming those grayshirting actually want to grayshirt. As we approach signing day, it would be very difficult for a player in this position to secure a scholarship from another school and enroll in the fall. Hence, they would wait. It's just a matter of months anyway. I believe they can still enroll at WSU part time in the fall but it would be on their own dime. Others have done this at WSU.

This post was edited on 1/21 4:41 PM by YakiCoug

I question the non-qualifiers and their count in the 25 intital scholarship number. That doesn't seem correct to me. Could be, just doesn't smell right. I know their is a provision for replacment players. And I know we had 2 non-qualifiers.

I question the non-qualifiers and their count in the 25 intital scholarship number. That doesn't seem correct to me. Could be, just doesn't smell right. I know their is a provision for replacment players. And I know we had 2 non-qualifiers.
I've confirmed it with multiple people.

That's the risk with academic fliers. If they sign an LOI, and don't get in, you can no longer replace them. So, I don't know that it's possible that Farrar took Singleton's spot. I'd argue Falk got that spot.

Originally posted by Fab5Coug:
That's the risk with academic fliers. If they sign an LOI, and don't get in, you can no longer replace them. So, I don't know that it's possible that Farrar took Singleton's spot. I'd argue Falk got that spot.
Bingo.

I would be shocked if the staff asked a kid to pay their own way for a year.

I don't think I've ever heard of that in football recruiting.

Fab, I'm sorry that I wasn't clear.

I am not suggesting that the staff would ask a kid to pay.

What I am suggesting is that the staff might ask a kid to delay enrollment, and the kid & his parents might decide that instead of delaying, instead he would be like 99.9% of the other students and just enroll on his own (with financial aid if he qualifies; certainly he has filled out a FAFSA?). That would be his decision if he didn't want to wait a semester to enroll.

I don't find that to be particularly far fetched. You will probably recall that it was Rochestie and his family's idea to give up the scholarship, not WSU's idea.

I know that by the time I was 18 I was dying to get out of my parent's house and head to WSU. I suspect that most of those who are asked to delay enrollment feel the same.

Originally posted by cr8zyncalif:
Fab, I'm sorry that I wasn't clear.

I am not suggesting that the staff would ask a kid to pay.

What I am suggesting is that the staff might ask a kid to delay enrollment, and the kid & his parents might decide that instead of delaying, instead he would be like 99.9% of the other students and just enroll on his own (with financial aid if he qualifies; certainly he has filled out a FAFSA?). That would be his decision if he didn't want to wait a semester to enroll.

I don't find that to be particularly far fetched. You will probably recall that it was Rochestie and his family's idea to give up the scholarship, not WSU's idea.

I know that by the time I was 18 I was dying to get out of my parent's house and head to WSU. I suspect that most of those who are asked to delay enrollment feel the same.
I believe that if he were to come to Washington State own dime, enroll full-time and practice with the team, as a recruited student-athlete, he would not be eligible to receive a scholarship for two years. That wouldn't make sense for anyone involved. That prospect could enroll part-time, not participate in team activities, then be put on scholarship next January.

I do recall Markell Sanders, the safety who delayed his enrollment last year, was at Washington State on his own dime, going to school part-time, before leaving school at some point prior to spring ball.

Most of the time, if any kid is going to delay their enrollment but still go to school, it would be on a part-time basis at a community college as to not start his eligibility clock and save money, then transfer in January with five years to play four as a scholarship student-athlete. That's pretty much the blueprint for grayshirting.

This post was edited on 1/21 8:34 PM by Britton Ransford

Falk would have had to be here 2 years to NOT be counted as an intitial counter.
That's right. Which means he was "technically" part of the '14 recruiting class. That's why I would make the argument he took the open scholly left by Singleton not qualifying.

Sorry, Brit, yet again I wasn't clear. I need to take a communications class.

I did not intend to suggest that a kid would come to WSU on his own dime for the first semester and play with the team.

I was suggesting that he comes to WSU for a semester on his own dime instead of delaying enrollment. DOES NOT play with the team. Gets adjusted to classes without the football time commitment; makes the social/emotional college adjustment; and is just a normal student for a semester. I think that is legal within NCAA rules, and I think as long as he DOES NOT join the team, and pays for the semester himself, he can then join the team 2nd semester just like he would with a delayed enrollment.

He is one semester ahead of the game, but it cost him tuition and room & board, just like any other student.

Am I missing something?

I believe enrolling would start his eligibility clock. I think that would leave him with 4 to play 4, wouldn't it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT