ADVERTISEMENT

2020 class keeps getting better

I

I'll stack Leach's 2013 class up against any of them.

Isaac Brown
Josh Parrish
Josh Shavies
Champ Simmons (transferred to SC)
Tai Tupai
Jeremy Williams
Collin Henderson
Matt Kegal
Ira Davis
Drew Dunning
Al Genatone
Mike Shelford
Billy Knotts
Scott Lunde
Rien Long
Marcus Trufant

Ivan McLennan
Vince Mayle
Peyton Pelleur
Riley Sorenson
Isaac Dotson
Marcellus Pippins
River Cracraft
Gerard Wicks
Cody O'Connell
Daniel Ekuale
Jamal Morrow
Cole Madison
Nick Begg
Dylan Hanser
Erik Powell
Luke Falk
Robert Lewis

I don’t disagree compares very favorably . I would also argue that may be the either the peak of recruiting or the anomaly. It is the 2013 class that puzzles me about 14 and 15 , or even classes since 15.

I don’t disagree compares very favorably . I would also argue that may be the either the peak of recruiting or the anomaly. It is the 2013 class that puzzles me about 14 and 15 , or even classes since 15.

Leach's best class has been 2018, the first season of the early signing period. Then teams adjusted and took away the advantage.

I don't understand your last sentence, but the 15 class was fine. As was 16 & 17.

Even the 14 class, which you seem to love to bag on, produced 3 NFL players.

I don't understand your last sentence, but the 15 class was fine. As was 16 & 17.

That 2014 class was a bizarre aberration. Overall, it was a terrible class where almost everyone washed out.....but the guys who stuck around were all terrific.

it's important to see both the 10 years of liege and price in their historical context. Each has advantages and disadvantages the other didn't. The internet, ESPN, and the BCS / college football playoff have completely changed the playing field. We don't know how coach Mike Price would have done with the internet broadcasting the gems he uncovered for bigger schools to poach. We don't know how strong the conference would have been perceived if ESPN had been pushing a narrative that the Pac-12 is awful all the time. We don't know how Rose Bowl trips would have been viewed if they were seeing as a consolation prize for teams that weren't good enough to make the playoff.

You can never be sure, but I still think the recruiting outcome would be similar. Leach's "dead pan" demeanor, intelligence and business approach, is a liability on the recruiting front. We are taking about 17 year kids, frequently barely college level students, many, most, being asked to travel 1000 miles from home for the if time. It's Father Flanagan, with deep in-state/west coast ties vs. the dead pan, mad scientist, discipline approach. Let's not forget, Price coached at WSU in the internet era too, though not initially, and it appeared to have helped. The dot com "bubble" peaked in March 2000. However, here's the catch 22, what made Price a better recruiter, also caused the losses and inconsistency due to a lack of discipline on the field and off. Player's coaches, generally aren't good field coaches and Price is example A. Only when his teams imposed discipline upon themselves, did they approach their potential. The 1997 team was virtually all seniors, on both sides of the ball, and just got sick of losing. The 2001-2003 run was sparked by a once in a generation, little Napoleon, who after his first loss as a starter angrily said "I don't lose" and imposed the discipline Price couldn't.

My biggest rub about Leach is what I perceive is intransigence. I just don't see seasonal "weakness" identification and changes in an effort to improve. It very well might be happening behind the scenes, but I'm not seeing it. I honestly believe with Leach, some soul searching and adjustments on the field and in recruiting, we could be in the playoffs. I believe in him and WSU. Leach has few, if any, peers as a field coach IMO, but I'm frustrated with what I perceive as lack adjustments to his system, in an effort to get him/us over the hump. 20 years as an almost ran, what does he have to lose. I dream of the day when Leach steps to the microphone he loves so much and says I'm so sick and tire of being a bridesmaid, instead of being defensive about it. If and when that day happens, watch out.

I guess I love to bag on Price’s 94 class. Yes they did net three nfl players. How many washed out . How interior lineman have they successfully recruited since the 13 class ? Toki?

If we don’t have a shortage of talent how did we end up 3-6 in conference?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT