ADVERTISEMENT

Time has come to make Dickert the HC

etowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Apr 15, 2018
I've advocated making a decision quickly up or down but this weekend moved the timeframe up a bit. Jimmy Lake punched a player, Cal lost, Stanford looked out of sorts. Rumors are Chip is out in Westwood. How much tread is left on the Karl Dorrell retread in Colorado. Herm appears on his last legs in Tempe. Bottom line: lots of jobs will be open in the conference. Both for coordinators and HC.

There could be 5 or 6 other jobs open around the conference by the end of the season meaning two things: 1) Jake Dickert is going to be a name kicked around for a HC gig at a lower tier school that loses its head coach. Or he'll get a big payday to be a DC at another Pac-12 school. Bottom line is he's gone if he's not the HC. 2) All the names we've kicked around here as replacements are going to be candidates for more prestigious jobs. We may not be in contention with USC and UCLA for a head coach, but Cal or ASU would be interested in the same pool. Same for UW and Colorado. Then Stanford might snatch up someone we would be interested in too. I don't think we end up with a better candidate than Dickert.

I've advocated making a decision quickly up or down but this weekend moved the timeframe up a bit. Jimmy Lake punched a player, Cal lost, Stanford looked out of sorts. Rumors are Chip is out in Westwood. How much tread is left on the Karl Dorrell retread in Colorado. Herm appears on his last legs in Tempe. Bottom line: lots of jobs will be open in the conference. Both for coordinators and HC.

There could be 5 or 6 other jobs open around the conference by the end of the season meaning two things: 1) Jake Dickert is going to be a name kicked around for a HC gig at a lower tier school that loses its head coach. Or he'll get a big payday to be a DC at another Pac-12 school. Bottom line is he's gone if he's not the HC. 2) All the names we've kicked around here as replacements are going to be candidates for more prestigious jobs. We may not be in contention with USC and UCLA for a head coach, but Cal or ASU would be interested in the same pool. Same for UW and Colorado. Then Stanford might snatch up someone we would be interested in too. I don't think we end up with a better candidate than Dickert.

Let's see how this next weekend goes. Beat Oregon and it's a no brainer. Beat Arizona and UW and it's a no brainer. Anything else and it is tougher.

FWIW, UCLA could easily win out and Chip sticks around. It wouldn't be surprising for ASU to run the table and finish 9-3. Cal and Stanford might be looking for new coaches and UW could be if their season falls apart. Colorado is harder to judge but do you fire a coach in year two of a rebuild when the first year did go better than expected?

When it comes down to it, Dickert isn't leaving WSU for a better job this year if we aren't motivated to keep him too. Nobody is hiring him based on a win against Oregon....although it might get him on their list to consider. The truth is that if Dickert is really great and we get on a roll, we aren't keeping him long anyway.

Long story short, there is no need to throw a long term contract at him this week.

Reactions: mikalalas and HCoug
If we string this along until he beats Oregon or Washington or gets to a bowl, of signs a 4-star commit, there is a risk of losing recruits and also starting to build a little ill will. If the WSU administration gets out in front and commits to Dickert, maybe the good will that is established keeps him in Pullman down the road (assuming he is successful and other schools offer).

Reactions: mikalalas
Let's see how this next weekend goes. Beat Oregon and it's a no brainer. Beat Arizona and UW and it's a no brainer. Anything else and it is tougher.

FWIW, UCLA could easily win out and Chip sticks around. It wouldn't be surprising for ASU to run the table and finish 9-3. Cal and Stanford might be looking for new coaches and UW could be if their season falls apart. Colorado is harder to judge but do you fire a coach in year two of a rebuild when the first year did go better than expected?

When it comes down to it, Dickert isn't leaving WSU for a better job this year if we aren't motivated to keep him too. Nobody is hiring him based on a win against Oregon....although it might get him on their list to consider. The truth is that if Dickert is really great and we get on a roll, we aren't keeping him long anyway.

Long story short, there is no need to throw a long term contract at him this week.

Based on what he's already done to turn around the defense he'll be on everybody's short list for DC. And based on how he's held the team together and carried himself he's on the short list for every FCS and G5 HC job.

My question stands, who better than Dickert will we land?

Based on what he's already done to turn around the defense he'll be on everybody's short list for DC. And based on how he's held the team together and carried himself he's on the short list for every FCS and G5 HC job.

I’m with you. Every hire is a gamble and with the exception of Peterson (who’s not coming) I haven’t seen a name that is any more attractive.

As for thoughts that he’ll up and leave with success, I don’t think he will. As long as he’s paid well by WSU standards once he makes it, I believe he will stay for a long time. Maybe it was all lobbying on his part during the introductory presser but he basically said that Pullman was the type of place that he would want to put down roots in with his family. He could end up being our Bill Snyder hire.

A shit ton of guys are better than Dickert. The job paid Turd $3,000,000 and Leach $4,000,000. It isnt a short list. Its a long list. Chun’s phone has rung since July about this. This idea of who will we get???? Really??? WSU is a good job that can put $10,000,000 in your bank account in 3 years.

Dickert has a season and a half of P5 football under his belt. Good guy? Yes. Good coach? Yes. Good fit for Pullman? Yes. The only guy that wants the job? No. The only guy qualified? No.

FWIW, Cal, UofA, Colorado, Utah, Oregon State, ASU are all worse jobs than WSU. WSU is a good P5 job. Even with the decade of no bowls and the Wulff era WSU has had more going for it in the last 25 years than any of those schools.

Step back from the ledge. There is a line down the block and around the stadium to get this job.

Reactions: HCoug
A shit ton of guys are better than Dickert. The job paid Turd $3,000,000 and Leach $4,000,000. It isnt a short list. Its a long list. Chun’s phone has rung since July about this. This idea of who will we get???? Really??? WSU is a good job that can put $10,000,000 in your bank account in 3 years.

Dickert has a season and a half of P5 football under his belt. Good guy? Yes. Good coach? Yes. Good fit for Pullman? Yes. The only guy that wants the job? No. The only guy qualified? No.

FWIW, Cal, UofA, Colorado, Utah, Oregon State, ASU are all worse jobs than WSU. WSU is a good P5 job. Even with the decade of no bowls and the Wulff era WSU has had more going for it in the last 25 years than any of those schools.

Step back from the ledge. There is a line down the block and around the stadium to get this job.
I don’t see hiring Dickert as desperation I see it as a good business decision. There’s a lot of garbage out there too, all of these schools that will be making changes thought they had “their guy” last time around. Interviewing every candidate around the block doesn’t ensure you’ll get the right guy. Chun whiffed on Rolo. And paying a guy $4 mill doesn’t mean that’s what you are going to get. Give Dickert $2+ and extend him right away if he has quick success. No brainer.

I don’t see hiring Dickert as desperation I see it as a good business decision. There’s a lot of garbage out there too, all of these schools that will be making changes thought they had “their guy” last time around. Interviewing every candidate around the block doesn’t ensure you’ll get the right guy. Chun whiffed on Rolo. And paying a guy $4 mill doesn’t mean that’s what you are going to get. Give Dickert $2+ and extend him right away if he has quick success. No brainer.

Part of getting a good coach is the person hiring the coach knowing what he is looking at.

My reference to the dollar amount is about interest. If you pay $600,000, you get one guy. If you pay $4,000,000 you get a different set of guys.

The idea that you would sign Dickert now? Ridiculous. He has to win more than 1 game. Hiring a guy after 1 game is a bad business decision. He has to do more. If he does, ok. If you hire him and he gets smoked, now what?

Afraid that you won’t get a good coach? Even more ridiculous. The pay day is there to attract applicants. The history shows you can win. WSU is not in a bad spot.

There are plenty of decent staffs and HC candidates to not panic hire Dickert, yet. I’m not sure how many of these I would cheer for to be the guy, but they are more than likely guys who could do the job: Norvell, Brennan, DeBoer, Anderson, Choate, plenty of coordinators at elite schools. Hell Gary Patterson. Best. That’s just tapping west coast-ish schools. There are plenty of good coaching staffs at G5 level and below on the East coast. Dickert may be the best option depending on how things end up, but no need to panic now.

Decisions made on the basis of desperation or scarcity tend to always turn out for the best. I'm sure this one won't be any different.

No need to rush into it, we still have about 18 days of regular season left, let's see how it plays out. Dickert has coached 2 games and he's 1-1, they have look well prepared, but we still have 3 games left, so lets see what the 5 game record and performance looks like. I am sure Chun has set some goals for Dickert and Dickert has set some for himself, if they are met he's the next coach, if not we are looking after the AC. I'd like to see Dickert get the job, and if the Cougs want him he's not going anywhere. Everyone mentions recruiting, well we are behind the 8 ball this season no matter what happens the rest of the season. And until we announce what type of offensive team we will be, there won't be many recruits signing up. Early signing is 12/15, and the final day is the first Tuesday in February. If they happen to win this weekend I would think Chun is sending him a contract that no one will hear about until after the AC. Hopefully an announcement is made on 11/30 or sooner, so we can all move forward.

Who is on this long list of candidates that has shown to have success in an environment like Pullman? Yes, lots of people standing in line, but who is Pullman worthy?

I’d start looking at the Big 12 and Big Ten. You aren’t going to the playoffs from the Big 12 once OU and UT leave. You aren’t going to the playoffs from the Big Ten unless you’re Ohio State. Find a coach that wants to compete for league titles but is crushed by the weight of too many blue blood programs in their league.

There is a reason James Franklin is mentioned for the SC job. He cant win a league title or get to the playoff from Penn State. Same for Harbaugh.

You need both. Wulff had some good evaluators, he was on people before other power 5 schools, he had some issues closing when other teams started offering.

Wulff had 5 good players out of the 105 he signed. Why so much value placed on the 5 kids he got right and so little value places on the 100 he missed?

He had issues closing because as a person he is white rice. There is no charisma, charm, personality. It shows in his inability to recruit.

Who is on this long list of candidates that has shown to have success in an environment like Pullman? Yes, lots of people standing in line, but who is Pullman worthy?
This is where I'm at on this as well. I have no loyalties to Dickert by any means, but I'm trying to objectively weigh the risk/reward with retaining him vs. going outside.

We have the same AD and President making the decision that made the hire to replace Leach. They landed on a G5 coach from Hawaii. I'm not knocking that decision, but it wasn't exactly a National search for a replacement of a Nationally known coach in Leach and a program that had been quite successful over the previous 8 seasons.

Fast forward to today where we, again, have a head coaching vacancy, but this time with an overhanging lawsuit pending with the previous head coach and the potential financial burden it *could* involve. Then, there's the existing player / roster management issue; not only from a potential transfer portal situation, but also from a 4th new coach in 4 years standpoint. Several players have already spoken out about how they don't want that to happen again, and while they don't have a final say in this, their voices certainly deserve to be heard on that.

For me, if we could bring in proven head coach with a relatively big splash, then we'd have to consider that. Who's that going to be though? There are going to be P12 head coaching jobs opening up at several destinations this offseason, and frankly, I don't agree with Biggs that highly regarded coaches are going to be lining up to come and live and coach in Pullman. Some will, but they'll still carry a fair amount of risk.

In most of those cases, I think the outside risk of bringing a new coach is greater than the risk of signing Dickert to a "starter salary" prove it contract that will keep the roster together and at least ensure that we'll have bring a solid roster to the table next season. If recruiting and coaching performance starts to slip, we can address it then. That's my take, anyway.

You guys are hilarious who think a P5 coach is leaving a P5 job to come to Pullman.

Rolo - Hawaii head coach
Leach - unemployed.
Doba - career assistant promoted
Price - Big Sky coach
Erickson - Big Sky/WAC coach
Walden - assistant promoted
Powers - assistant promoted
Sherrill - assistant at Pitt
Sweeney - Montana State
Bert Clark - UW assistant
Jim Sutherland - UW assistant
Al Kircher - WSU assistant

Do we really need to go on?

You're getting one of three things - current WSU assistant elevated, a head coach from a G5 (maybe) school, or an assistant from (maybe) a P5 school.

This is called 'reality'.

This is where I'm at on this as well. I have no loyalties to Dickert by any means, but I'm trying to objectively weigh the risk/reward with retaining him vs. going outside.

We have the same AD and President making the decision that made the hire to replace Leach. They landed on a G5 coach from Hawaii. I'm not knocking that decision, but it wasn't exactly a National search for a replacement of a Nationally known coach in Leach and a program that had been quite successful over the previous 8 seasons.

Fast forward to today where we, again, have a head coaching vacancy, but this time with an overhanging lawsuit pending with the previous head coach and the potential financial burden it *could* involve. Then, there's the existing player / roster management issue; not only from a potential transfer portal situation, but also from a 4th new coach in 4 years standpoint. Several players have already spoken out about how they don't want that to happen again, and while they don't have a final say in this, their voices certainly deserve to be heard on that.

For me, if we could bring in proven head coach with a relatively big splash, then we'd have to consider that. Who's that going to be though? There are going to be P12 head coaching jobs opening up at several destinations this offseason, and frankly, I don't agree with Biggs that highly regarded coaches are going to be lining up to come and live and coach in Pullman. Some will, but they'll still carry a fair amount of risk.

In most of those cases, I think the outside risk of bringing a new coach is greater than the risk of signing Dickert to a "starter salary" prove it contract that will keep the roster together and at least ensure that we'll have bring a solid roster to the table next season. If recruiting and coaching performance starts to slip, we can address it then. That's my take, anyway.

What Pac 12 jobs are opening that havent already? I have a hard time seeing Cal and Stanford move on. uw is definitely possible. Oregon and OSU, no. Utah, no. CU and UA just hired. ASU is possible. UCLA, my gut says no.

Leach being at WSU for 9 seasons helps. It sends a message to other coaches that you can win here. If you do, SEC jobs and Miami are waiting for you if you want to leave.

If you are a well regarded coach but find yourself unable to turn the corner at your current school… you have some options. Stay and be fired eventually. Get while the getting is good. Do it all for the money??? Those are the guys I would be calling first.

WSU wins out they win a division title. How many schools that arent blue blood schools can point to that with 3 games left in the season?

So Chun will have to be a salesman. You cannot call and ask if they are interested. You call and create interest.

I'm in this place too. If Biggs was right about people lining up for the job, we would have seen that after Leach left. We didn't. What we see lining up is a few G5 coaches who want a chance in the big leagues...and most of those guys are as big a risk as an interim coach.

However, I don't think there's a big risk in waiting a few weeks either. We're in a bad spot for recruiting no matter what we do...and frankly, I think maintaining some continuity in the staff is better for recruiting (this year) than another complete change will be. Not sure it'll make that much difference, I don't think anyone coming in this year is getting us better than a below-average class. I don't think anyone is likely to make a move toward Dickert while we're still playing. His phone might ring off the hook on Saturday after AC, but we have until Thanksgiving to see what he does and who else is available/interested.

But...if I'm Chun, I've already started drafting a contract. If we beat Oregon, I probably talk to Dickert about that contract next week. Just to try and soothe the players, talk with some of them and see where they stand on Dickert & co (not a formal meeting, just conversations). I probably sit on the official offer until the week of AC. I might even wait until after the game, and if we win out...I tell Dickert that I'm going to offer the job during the post-game press conference.

And, like I said before, it'll be a contract that's below market (but a big raise for him) with lots of performance incentives. I'm not giving him a $3M base, I'm giving $2M. But he can tap that $1M to hire an OC and to upgrade position coaches where needed.

Also, switching topics slightly...someone above mentioned Best, which I assume is Aaron Best (EWU). I'm not terribly interested in looking at him as HC, but he might be an OC candidate. Not sure he'd be interested, and I'm not sure how interesting he is as a candidate, but it's worth the conversation. He's run some really good offenses in Cheney.

I'm in this place too. If Biggs was right about people lining up for the job, we would have seen that after Leach left. We didn't. What we see lining up is a few G5 coaches who want a chance in the big leagues...and most of those guys are as big a risk as an interim coach.

However, I don't think there's a big risk in waiting a few weeks either. We're in a bad spot for recruiting no matter what we do...and frankly, I think maintaining some continuity in the staff is better for recruiting (this year) than another complete change will be. Not sure it'll make that much difference, I don't think anyone coming in this year is getting us better than a below-average class. I don't think anyone is likely to make a move toward Dickert while we're still playing. His phone might ring off the hook on Saturday after AC, but we have until Thanksgiving to see what he does and who else is available/interested.

But...if I'm Chun, I've already started drafting a contract. If we beat Oregon, I probably talk to Dickert about that contract next week. Just to try and soothe the players, talk with some of them and see where they stand on Dickert & co (not a formal meeting, just conversations). I probably sit on the official offer until the week of AC. I might even wait until after the game, and if we win out...I tell Dickert that I'm going to offer the job during the post-game press conference.

And, like I said before, it'll be a contract that's below market (but a big raise for him) with lots of performance incentives. I'm not giving him a $3M base, I'm giving $2M. But he can tap that $1M to hire an OC and to upgrade position coaches where needed.

Also, switching topics slightly...someone above mentioned Best, which I assume is Aaron Best (EWU). I'm not terribly interested in looking at him as HC, but he might be an OC candidate. Not sure he'd be interested, and I'm not sure how interesting he is as a candidate, but it's worth the conversation. He's run some really good offenses in Cheney.

We dont know who was or wasnt in line for the job. I have heard there was 1 coach now at a blu blood school who had interest. It was shot down by influential $$$…..

If you thought Wulff was bad at recruiting, Best is worse.

Exactly, the job was much more desirable when Leach left and we looked at MWC head coaches Rolovich and Harsin.

Of course the line for potential candidates is around the block. Plenty of Jim Mora and Rick Neuheisal types would like one last payday. You can always find an Ernie Kent type to collect a paycheck and not complain about the minimal resources thrown in the program. But who with options picks us?

Already open: USC
Probably open: 3-6 Cal who just lost to Arizona, 3-6 Stanford with a visibly tired David Shaw (rumored to be headed to the NFL). UW is suspending Jimmy Lake for punching a player for a game. ASU is working through a process to fire Herm for cause with regards for Covid violations.
Colorado is awful. They might ax Dorrell. Arizona is Wulff horrible but Jed might get another year. UCLA is looking for a new coach if Kelly doesn't win out. If Jonathon Smith loses out, how does he keep his job?
Utah and Oregon are the only stable spots.
While all the spots won't be open, you can bet at least half the jobs will.

Why I agree with etown....by the time they made a decision on Wulff, even if he had better contacts in the NCAA, he had to bring his staff because WSU was so behind in recruiting, they had what two commits. It has been told to me they stopped evaluating talent and didn't even have tape for a new staff.

So I think either you have your next coach in place even if you don't announce it before the Apple Cup. Whether it is Dickert or someone else.

I also am inclined to give Dickert the job. The reservation is he doesn't have a offensive system he is married to. He is inheriting one that very people know. Also, he is a defensive coach. You look at Wilcox, Lake, Doba and it makes you wonder if a career defensive assistant can recruit and win in the Pac 12? But maybe Dickert isn't one of those three coaches but rather Kyle Whittingham. And btw, if I was USC, that is exactly who I would hire. The dline at USC would quit being so soft.

Reactions: CougPatrol
Exactly, the job was much more desirable when Leach left and we looked at MWC head coaches Rolovich and Harsin.

Of course the line for potential candidates is around the block. Plenty of Jim Mora and Rick Neuheisal types would like one last payday. You can always find an Ernie Kent type to collect a paycheck and not complain about the minimal resources thrown in the program. But who with options picks us?

Probably open: 3-6 Cal who just lost to Arizona, 3-6 Stanford with a visibly tired David Shaw (rumored to be headed to the NFL). UW is suspending Jimmy Lake for punching a player for a game. ASU is working through a process to fire Herm for cause with regards for Covid violations.
Colorado is awful. They might ax Dorrell. Arizona is Wulff horrible but Jed might get another year. UCLA is looking for a new coach if Kelly doesn't win out. If Jonathon Smith loses out, how does he keep his job?
Agree with your points, but I disagree on Colorado and Dorrell. They got off to a rocky start this season, but they've got a good looking freshman QB in Brendon Lewis to go with 2 pretty decent and young RBs. We'll see how they finish the season, including their game vs. UW the week before Apple Cup.

Dorrell's reputation got trashed at UCLA, but he's since been in the NFL for several seasons, so perhaps a place like Colorado will be a good fit for him? Looking back on things, it's not like coaches at UCLA have blazed a trail of greatness there since he left. When Dorrell was with the Bruins, he was mediocre but not terrible. They never finished below .500 in the regular season, and he qualified for bowl games every season, including a 10-2 season.

Agree with your points, but I disagree on Colorado and Dorrell. They got off to a rocky start this season, but they've got a good looking freshman QB in Brendon Lewis to go with 2 pretty decent and young RBs. We'll see how they finish the season, including their game vs. UW the week before Apple Cup.

Dorrell's reputation got trashed at UCLA, but he's since been in the NFL for several seasons, so perhaps a place like Colorado will be a good fit for him? Looking back on things, it's not like coaches at UCLA have blazed a trail of greatness there since he left. When Dorrell was with the Bruins, he was mediocre but not terrible. They never finished below .500 in the regular season, and he qualified for bowl games every season, including a 10-2 season.
CP the QB guru :). Watching Lewis he is in the top 3rd with JDL in the conference. Here is my worry about JDL is the future if he doesn't fix some of his mechanical problems. Jayden Daniels looked to be unstoppable as a freshman. Same thing with UCLA's qb. They haven't improved or maybe other teams took away their strength and their weaknesses are exposed.

But moving forward, who are the QB's better than JDL even tho BYU showed how to play him and we will suffer similar results against UW. JDL, Dart, Stanford QB, Utah QB and CU QB. Those should be the leaders moving forward.

I mentioned Best. He’d be like tier 15 of staffs I would look at. Just trying to make the point that panic hiring Dickert may be no better than grabbing a staff like Best’s. There are plenty of established coaches to go after before panicking.

CP the QB guru :). Watching Lewis he is in the top 3rd with JDL in the conference. Here is my worry about JDL is the future if he doesn't fix some of his mechanical problems. Jayden Daniels looked to be unstoppable as a freshman. Same thing with UCLA's qb. They haven't improved or maybe other teams took away their strength and their weaknesses are exposed.

But moving forward, who are the QB's better than JDL even tho BYU showed how to play him and we will suffer similar results against UW. JDL, Dart, Stanford QB, Utah QB and CU QB. Those should be the leaders moving forward.
The thing I've always liked about JDL was his understanding, even going back to last year, of how to sell a play at the line of scrimmage. He's incredibly adept at that compared to most collegiate QBs I've seen, which explains why his TD numbers are as strong as they are. Now, as you've pointed out, will he continue to develop the weaker aspects of his game? That remains to be seen, but for this season and with our current QB depth chart, there's nobody that can hold a candle to him and what he brings to the offense. He plays fast and he brings energy to the the team on both sides of the ball. That's why I was so adamant in my support of JDL earlier in the season. I still have no idea what TF went on during the Utah State game regarding the QB substitutions.

So while I of course share your trepidations, I'll ask a tangent question. With a nucleolus of JDL, Stribling, Ollie, Hobert, Moore, and maybe even Harris and Borghi returning next season on COVID years, shouldn't Dickert be able to plug in the holes and keep the program at at least a 7-5 mark next season? It won't be a slam dunk, as our non conference schedule includes Wisconsin and Colorado State, but we should certainly be in the mix for a respectable showing next year. That's a big reason why I don't want to mess with replacing Dickert unless we have a pretty big name candidate ready to step in.

I mentioned Best. He’d be like tier 15 of staffs I would look at. Just trying to make the point that panic hiring Dickert may be no better than grabbing a staff like Best’s. There are plenty of established coaches to go after before panicking.
Is it a panic hire if Dickert finishes the season 3-2 with the 2 losses coming against BYU and Oregon?

Cal was down 24 players and staff for the UA game. I dont see them firing Wilcox. If they do, Chun should be on the phone witg him.

Stanford has a tough year. They’re gonna fire the guy that took them to Rose Bowl’s? Doubt it.

uw and ASU could open.

Arizona just hired the guy. He took over a dumpster fire. If UA fires him, what exactly is the next coach supposed to do to make it better? And who is the guy that takes over a team with a recent 20 game losing streak?

Colorado moves on from Dorrell and what does the next guy do? Wash rinse repeat.

Same for UCLA.

Oregon State is gonna fire their alum coach? Doubtful.

You are reaching for some of these scenarios.

Also, are these schools honest with themselves about their OWN commitment to winning? RN was in an interview saying he couldn’t get his WRs gloves. But UCLA is sooo committed to football they’ll fire a coach before buying more gloves???

I see a lot of middle class schools with a whole lot of jack fuc$ing squat for success. UCLA, UA, Cal, Colorado, Oregon State, etc and they’re gonna fire their coach and bring in yet another guy??? I hope they do. It puts them that much further away from winning.

If Shaw, Wilcox and Kelly were available tomorrow I’d want Chun to talk to all of them. Their resumes are all better than Dickerts.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Is it a panic hire if Dickert finishes the season 3-2 with the 2 losses coming against BYU and Oregon?
I’m not sure. Panic hire for me refers more to making a decision before the season plays out or hurrying it along. Dickert could be a great head coach and possibly the right choice, but I’d rather watch the year through than sign him in because he beat ASU and almost BYU and we are fearful of not getting the coach we want or that he might bail. He loses to Oregon by a couple (or wins) and beats AZ and UW. Then let’s hear him out on how he’ll organize an Offensive staff.

Cal was down 24 players and staff for the UA game. I dont see them firing Wilcox. If they do, Chun should be on the phone witg him.

Stanford has a tough year. They’re gonna fire the guy that took them to Rose Bowl’s? Doubt it.

uw and ASU could open.

Arizona just hired the guy. He took over a dumpster fire. If UA fires him, what exactly is the next coach supposed to do to make it better? And who is the guy that takes over a team with a recent 20 game losing streak?

Colorado moves on from Dorrell and what does the next guy do? Wash rinse repeat.

Same for UCLA.

Oregon State is gonna fire their alum coach? Doubtful.

You are reaching for some of these scenarios.

Also, are these schools honest with themselves about their OWN commitment to winning? RN was in an interview saying he couldn’t get his WRs gloves. But UCLA is sooo committed to football they’ll fire a coach before buying more gloves???

I see a lot of middle class schools with a whole lot of jack fuc$ing squat for success. UCLA, UA, Cal, Colorado, Oregon State, etc and they’re gonna fire their coach and bring in yet another guy??? I hope they do. It puts them that much further away from winning.

If Shaw, Wilcox and Kelly were available tomorrow I’d want Chun to talk to all of them. Their resumes are all better than Dickerts.

Wilcox is in his 5th season at Cal with a 24-27 record. He's on track for his worst season yet and he's never really accomplished much. He's had his chance, it doesn't appear to be working, time to move on.
Head to Fresno and snag a new coach who can recruit locally. Or snag a guy who had Tedford's job before he came to Berkeley.
Wilcox has proven he can build a good defense and he can't get a decent offense going. He's shown himself to be a subpar recruiter and talent evaluator. Listing him as a candidate shows a bias towards "experience" without evaluating how meaningful that experience has been.
Kelley and Shaw have at least been good at one point but both seem burnt out. They understand the game but don't have the fire necessary to win here.

Wilcox is in his 5th season at Cal with a 24-27 record. He's on track for his worst season yet and he's never really accomplished much. He's had his chance, it doesn't appear to be working, time to move on.
Head to Fresno and snag a new coach who can recruit locally. Or snag a guy who had Tedford's job before he came to Berkeley.
Wilcox has proven he can build a good defense and he can't get a decent offense going. He's shown himself to be a subpar recruiter and talent evaluator. Listing him as a candidate shows a bias towards "experience" without evaluating how meaningful that experience has been.
Kelley and Shaw have at least been good at one point but both seem burnt out. They understand the game but don't have the fire necessary to win here.

What is the capacity for Cal? It is the second worst job in the league, only ahead of Arizona. And you’re mixing in a covid season which is variable because it hits all teams differently. His recruiting is narrow. Not everyone gets into Cal.

Some guys are at schools that are only gonna go so far. Cal is a school that is committed to being average at best. I wouldn’t crucify Wilcox for his record at Cal.

The thing I've always liked about JDL was his understanding, even going back to last year, of how to sell a play at the line of scrimmage. He's incredibly adept at that compared to most collegiate QBs I've seen, which explains why his TD numbers are as strong as they are. Now, as you've pointed out, will he continue to develop the weaker aspects of his game? That remains to be seen, but for this season and with our current QB depth chart, there's nobody that can hold a candle to him and what he brings to the offense. He plays fast and he brings energy to the the team on both sides of the ball. That's why I was so adamant in my support of JDL earlier in the season. I still have no idea what TF went on during the Utah State game regarding the QB substitutions.

So while I of course share your trepidations, I'll ask a tangent question. With a nucleolus of JDL, Stribling, Ollie, Hobert, Moore, and maybe even Harris and Borghi returning next season on COVID years, shouldn't Dickert be able to plug in the holes and keep the program at at least a 7-5 mark next season? It won't be a slam dunk, as our non conference schedule includes Wisconsin and Colorado State, but we should certainly be in the mix for a respectable showing next year. That's a big reason why I don't want to mess with replacing Dickert unless we have a pretty big name candidate ready to step in.
Well losing our tackles will be a problem. I would say no problem replacing ryan, but he has played well his last three games. I wonder how much having Greene back at center helped the line play.

WE need a RB, Jackson and Harris are tough to replace. I think our Dline comes back, and we lose a good portion of our secondary. But I feel pretty confident with Banker there they will play well. Smith Wade has the foot speed to play in the PAc 12.

Who are we better than in 2022. Cal-Probably. Stanford probably. OSU? Arizona? ASU? So I would think they would go 6-6 and get to a bowl game. They desperately need to get some DT's that has some size.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Who are we better than in 2022. Cal-Probably. Stanford probably. OSU? Arizona? ASU? So I would think they would go 6-6 and get to a bowl game. They desperately need to get some DT's that has some size.
That's obviously impossible to say at this point, but I think it's fair to say that we'll be able to at least hold our own with the following teams:

Idaho, Colorado State, Utah, at Arizona, at Oregon State, Oregon, Cal, at Stanford, UW, ASU.

Games at Wisconsin and USC look historically difficult, so I left those off, but other than that, I can envision 6 or 7 wins next season. Heading into this year, I didn't feel that way.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Well WSU appointed Dickert their DC, as interim HC just 3 weeks ago. The UW promoted Lake their DC to head coach about 2 years ago. In just 3 weeks Dickert has shown great respect and skill as a coach, and a leader, to his University, his opponents, and his players. And has shown the ability to get the most of out his players and quickly earned their respect in an extremely difficult situation. Which far exceeds anything we have seen from Lake in the past 2 years. Does it mean Dickert should be head coach, don't know that we have the answer to that yet, but I think we have the answer on Lake. Most UW fans were rejoicing with the Rolo/Anti Vax story, in the end their problems may be bigger than ours. As my Dad used to say, " don't spend a lot of time celebrating your opponents misfortune, your own could be worse"

Last edited:
Reactions: SDCoug
There are a lot of unknowns, but there always will be. Everybody thought they knew Urban Meyer...
There is literally no way to predict which coach will succeed or fail in a new job, and in the long run most end up failing.
Dickert has exceeded all expectations, and nobody can deny the players have responded well.
I just think having our new head coach already in Pullman, already coaching our team, is a tremendous advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT