ADVERTISEMENT

2020 QB from Montana

SDCoug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Hamilton, MT
I need to preface this question by stating that:
  • I generally don’t pay a lot of attention to recruiting.
  • The kid I’m asking about is in my son’s class and I’ve been watching him in football and basketball since grade school.
  • I’m buddies with his dad (also a Coug).
With that said, I don’t understand how Carson Rostad, the QB for my hometown Hamilton Broncs, isn’t getting more attention. His list of accolades is long. They include:
  • Three time all conference QB
  • Two time all State QB
  • Montana Gatorade POY - all divisions
  • Led team to Class A state championship two years in a row
  • He’s destroyed every class A QB record the state has, both single season and career, with one year to go. For reference Kegal was a class A guy.
  • He’s pretty damn fast and will run the ball
  • 4.0 GPA
  • Three year letterman in hoops as well
I’m not saying that Leach should be high on this kid. I'll never question his evaluation of QBs or finding those that fit his system. But Carson’s only looks are from the Griz and the Bobcats. Rosie is salivating to get him signed and I’m told that he is the Griz’s number one want.

My question is, why is he not on anyone’s radar? Is the state of recruiting hit the point that unless you are from a big city you are screwed? Or is it simply that the recruiting services can’t keep up with everyone in the country? Is the system broken? I do know he’s only got the two offers in state.

Gatorade POY link
Rivals link
HUDL link

To be clear, I’m not lobbying for the kid to be a Coug. I just don’t get why the only offers are from the home state schools. I feel like if this were the 80s or 90s he’d be gobbled up by the big dogs. Maybe I’m just biased because I know him.

Thoughts?

• The kid I’m asking about is in my son’s class and I’ve been watching him in football and basketball since grade school.
With that said, I don’t understand how Carson Rostad, the QB for my hometown Hamilton Broncs, isn’t getting more attention. His list of accolades is long. They include:
  • Two time all State QB
  • He’s destroyed every class A QB record the state has, both single season and career, with one year to go. For reference Kegal was a class A guy.
  • 4.0 GPA
I’m not saying that Leach should be high on this kid. I'll never question his evaluation of QBs or finding those that fit his system. But Carson’s only looks are from the Griz and the Bobcats. Rosie is salivating to get him signed and I’m told that he is the Griz’s number one want.

My question is, why is he not on anyone’s radar? Is the state of recruiting hit the point that unless you are from a big city you are screwed? Or is it simply that the recruiting services can’t keep up with everyone in the country? Is the system broken? I do know he’s only got the two offers in state.

Gatorade POY link
Rivals link
HUDL link

To be clear, I’m not lobbying for the kid to be a Coug. I just don’t get why the only offers are from the home state schools. I feel like if this were the 80s or 90s he’d be gobbled up by the big dogs. Maybe I’m just biased because I know him.

Thoughts?

Yes, your biased, but your thoughts on recruiting may also have some merit. In this day of instant-twitter access you would think less so than before. You say he is fast: How fast? And is he accurate? Leach's number one criteria. Completion percentage and number of interceptions?

Lots to do with the level of competition.

6'3", 205 lbs from Hamilton MT is going to get measured against a 6'3", 205 pounder from Orange County.

• Two time all State QB
  • 4.0 GPA

Gatorade POY link
Rivals link
HUDL link

Thoughts?

A few things...

First, Montana high school football isn't well thought of. All league in Montana doesn't mean a damn thing. Nothing. No value. If you're a legit BCS kid, none of those kind of accolades mean anything or separate you from anyone. Everyone has them. Everyone is all league, everyone has tons of yards or touchdowns or tackles. Look at every legit BCS kids stats. They're all blown up.

Second, what separates kids is DNA. If you're a 6'7" 280 pounder you're gonna stand out and get looks. If you're a QB, what about your stat line gets attention? 6'6"? Now you've got coaches interested. Run 4.5 in the 40? Now people are on the phone.

Third, he HAS TO CAMP. He has to go to schools summer camps and get in front of coaches. If he were my kid... He'd be at WSU, SC, TX and FL. I wanna know how he stacks up with QBs from big time recruiting areas. I want coaches to see him run drills with those kids from those areas. I want him to line up and throw balls to the same receivers. I want 4 and 5 star wide receiver prospects from Florida catches balls and hitting twitter about how great this kid from Montana is/was. That is the ONLY way to get any respect from Montana. If he were an offensive lineman it would be easier. Go to Alabama's camp. Get one on one with their big 5 star recruit they want. Run him the f*ck over and when he gets up fight his azz right there. Now you've got Saban's attention. And when that kid starts mouthing off, do it again. Stand there like Russell Crow in Gladiator asking if they're entertained. For real.

If you want respect coming from a small school in a state with little BCS talent you have to show up at a big time school's camp and literally take it from someone else. You have to make a name for yourself. Waiting and hoping isn't going to work. It's just not.

Now Im gonna watch his film...

• Two time all State QB
  • 4.0 GPA

Gatorade POY link
Rivals link
HUDL link

Thoughts?

Watch your boys film... then watch Gunner Cruz from his senior year. That's who he has to beat out at WSU.

Your friend is a good prospect. Runs well, runs the ball well, gets away from the pass rush well and can make throws. Im not sold on his arm strength. Im really not sold on the overall talent he is competing with and against. Not to say he wouldn't flourish against better kids. That's certainly possible. I'd like to see him at a camp with higher talent though.

He probably has a scholarship somewhere. How he fits into the QB market this year will probably determine where he goes. Also, he needs to camp.

Reactions: mikalalas
All the comments above cover it pretty well. I'll just add that after watching high school football in Kansas, it's hard for any kid from a smaller state like Montana (or Kansas) to get a lot of Power 5 conference attention. The state of Kansas puts out the occasional stud, and probably at a higher rate than Montana, but the overall talent level is just a heck of a lot lower so it's really difficult to evaluate a kid based on film. Sometimes, it's obvious that a kid is great. Sometimes, you can't be sure that it isn't the competition around him making a 5/10 look like an 8/10.

Reactions: Cougzz
Even an incredibly gifted athletic QB like Carson Wentz could only grab the attention of an FCS school despite all his attributes. That's what happens when you go to high school in Bismarck, North Dakota.

Glad Cougar

Even an incredibly gifted athletic QB like Carson Wentz could only grab the attention of an FCS school despite all his attributes. That's what happens when you go to high school in Bismarck, North Dakota.

Glad Cougar

It does beg the question of how Leaf and Kegel were such highly rated and sought-after recruits being from the backwoods - and 20+ years ago when we didn't have all the technology and communication that we have today. And Kegel was from Havre, Montana. I have been there, and that is about as far out in the sticks as you can get. Makes Pullman's location look like we are a suburb of LA.

It does beg the question of how Leaf and Kegel were such highly rated and sought-after recruits being from the backwoods - and 20+ years ago when we didn't have all the technology and communication that we have today. And Kegel was from Havre, Montana. I have been there, and that is about as far out in the sticks as you can get. Makes Pullman's location look like we are a suburb of LA.
Interestingly enough (for me anyway) Kegel Lost his last high school game in Hamilton. It was the state title game.

And yes, Havre is in the middle of nowhere out on the Hi-Line. Hamilton isn’t so big but Missoula is only 45 miles away.

Thanks for the various reads on this, guys.

I think Carson’s weight, bench, etc are up from the numbers shown on Rivals. I believe he was at two camps in the past month. One was an Elite 11 camp. The other was down in Arizona but it was just a one day deal. Seemed like more of a nfl combine type thing where they get numbers on you.

You guys are spot on about the talent he plays against. This past year, outside of two games against CFalls and the state championship game, I don’t think he took a snap in the fourth quarter. He usually had maybe one series in the third (though stayed in on D the whole game). Even with the short games he threw 42 touchdowns against 6 interceptions and ran for another ten TDs. Most every game was a complete blowout. Tough to grade a kid in that environment.

All of this stuff seems a lot different than when I was in high school in the early eighties. Seems like these days you’re a douche bag if you’re a helicopter parent and costing your kid opportunities if you’re not. Probably an over simplification but sounds like you have to take matters int your own hands out in the sticks.

Thanks for the various reads on this, guys.

I think Carson’s weight, bench, etc are up from the numbers shown on Rivals. I believe he was at two camps in the past month. One was an Elite 11 camp. The other was down in Arizona but it was just a one day deal. Seemed like more of a nfl combine type thing where they get numbers on you.

You guys are spot on about the talent he plays against. This past year, outside of two games against CFalls and the state championship game, I don’t think he took a snap in the fourth quarter. He usually had maybe one series in the third (though stayed in on D the whole game). Even with the short games he threw 42 touchdowns against 6 interceptions and ran for another ten TDs. Most every game was a complete blowout. Tough to grade a kid in that environment.

All of this stuff seems a lot different than when I was in high school in the early eighties. Seems like these days you’re a douche bag if you’re a helicopter parent and costing your kid opportunities if you’re not. Probably an over simplification but sounds like you have to take matters int your own hands out in the sticks.

It's cool that you can get exposure. Kind of a pain in the butt. But 30 years ago you pretty much played where you played. Now you can get on campus with kids from different states and see how you stack up at camps. High school football isn't like AAU basketball, summer league baseball or elite league soccer where the best all make it to one team and then travel to play other teams like them. You gotta do what you gotta do to make a name for yourself now.

Just to add-
High school sports are terrible to evaluate talent. The coaching, teammates and competition is so uneven. Other then football, pretty much every other sport just looks at the club season. High school glory doesn't hurt, but probably doesn't help.

Camps are key- getting a kid onto campus means everything.

Coaches are lazy. That is why they went into this business. The first thing they ask is what other offers your kid has. They want to wait until other schools offer, and then they have a sense if they should offer. Being the first to offer is too risky for most of these guys. If they are right, it attracts even bigger fish, and if they are wrong they just gave a scholarship to a kid that probably never sees the field, and their job is in jeopardy. Better to wait and offer kids that other P5 schools want, and if you get a couple you are a hero, and if not you are still a good judge of talent....

Athletic ability can be measured, at least to some extent. Speed, strength, even agility (indirectly).

What is between your ears cannot be measured; that is why competition is so important. It is not so much what you accomplish...you could be the best QB in the 2020 class but on a poor team in a tough league and not have a lot of success. But if someone were interested, they could learn a lot about what is between your ears by watching things like your decisions & your behavior. Leadership is incredibly tough to describe...almost a Potter Steward sort of thing ("I know it when I see it"); and it is counter-intuitive, but sometimes a leader is much easier to see on a team that is outmatched. Without competition it is much harder to see & evaluate that. I suspect that the Montana schools have a clearer picture of the kid; perhaps from alums who know him, perhaps from camps he has attended locally...who knows? Local knowledge is always good to have.

I'm guessing that his intangibles are good if the two local schools are that hot for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT