ADVERTISEMENT

3 Cougs in the SB

I know 1982 had three. Mike Wilson was a good WR for San Francisco, Jack Thompson a backup in Cincy and one other guy - I think a TE for SFO. Could be others like Rypiens Redskins or when Bledsoe was a Patriot.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Not sure…but only 1 will actually be playing. Dillard and Minshew will have good seats, both in possibly their last game with the Eagles.
Dillard got into the title game, but it was limited. Hope he at least gets some limited run in the Super Bowl.

Don't care about the game. Worst matchup of all the possibilities.

I'm here for the Rihanna concert only.

Don't care about the game. Worst matchup of all the possibilities.

I'm here for the Rihanna concert only.
Weird. When I saw the music lineup, I thought this might be the worst one I'd ever seen. If I watch the game at all, I at least know that I can do something else at halftime.

As for the game...it's certainly not the matchup network execs would have hoped for. Two relatively small market teams with limited national following.

Competitively, I don't see that either team has a huge advantage on paper. Mahomes' ankle could be a factor, but in reality I think the Eagles are peaking at the right time. The Chiefs weren't dominant all season, and needed a fair amount of luck to get past Cincinatti. Philly has looked pretty good at times, and the way things worked out for them the NFC championship was practically a week off. They look like the favorite, but not by much.

The line right now is Philly -1.5.

I think it"s a compelling game, but of course, I'm a lifelong Chiefs fan. KC has more of a national following now than before, probably because of Mahomes and their string of success the past 5 years (bandwagon effect). Nonetheless, Kelce vs. Kelce & Andy Reid going against his old team are the storylines being pushed. I agree the Chiefs were not dominant this year but they were consistent & had arguably the league's toughest schedule. Their only losses were by 3 to Cincy, 4 to Buffalo, and a 3-point clunker early in the season to the Colts. If there was luck involved in their win Sunday, there was even more grit involved as they lost 2 of their best defensive players early in the game and 3 wide recievers to injury, not to mention a hobbled Mahomes. Philly had the good fortune of facing a 4th string QB. Both KC and Philly are excellent and deserving teams, both shared the best record in the NFL. It should be a great game.

Oh, and the halftime show? Great opportunity to replenish snacks and take a nice long BM.

Glad Cougar

I think it"s a compelling game, but of course, I'm a lifelong Chiefs fan. KC has more of a national following now than before, probably because of Mahomes and their string of success the past 5 years (bandwagon effect). Nonetheless, Kelce vs. Kelce & Andy Reid going against his old team are the storylines being pushed. I agree the Chiefs were not dominant this year but they were consistent & had arguably the league's toughest schedule. Their only losses were by 3 to Cincy, 4 to Buffalo, and a 3-point clunker early in the season to the Colts. If there was luck involved in their win Sunday, there was even more grit involved as they lost 2 of their best defensive players early in the game and 3 wide recievers to injury, not to mention a hobbled Mahomes. Philly had the good fortune of facing a 4th string QB. Both KC and Philly are excellent and deserving teams, both shared the best record in the NFL. It should be a great game.

Oh, and the halftime show? Great opportunity to replenish snacks and take a nice long BM.

Glad Cougar
The halftime show - with only a couple of historical exceptions - generally IS a nice long BM. This year more than average.

We had 3 starters in the Hawks Super Bowl against the Steelers. Trufant, Tobeck and Eaton.

Weird. When I saw the music lineup, I thought this might be the worst one I'd ever seen. If I watch the game at all, I at least know that I can do something else at halftime.

As for the game...it's certainly not the matchup network execs would have hoped for. Two relatively small market teams with limited national following.

Competitively, I don't see that either team has a huge advantage on paper. Mahomes' ankle could be a factor, but in reality I think the Eagles are peaking at the right time. The Chiefs weren't dominant all season, and needed a fair amount of luck to get past Cincinatti. Philly has looked pretty good at times, and the way things worked out for them the NFC championship was practically a week off. They look like the favorite, but not by much.

The line right now is Philly -1.5.
This feels like the game the NFL wanted...Glad pointed out the various storylines that will be driven into the ground.

Thank goodness it's not on CBS this year, so Jim Nantz doesn't lull me to sleep.

The halftime show - with only a couple of historical exceptions - generally IS a nice long BM. This year more than average.

I thought the point of the Super Bowl has been to somehow squeeze two halves of mostly overhyped football around an excessive, 30 minute music extravaganza looking for controversy?

I thought the point of the Super Bowl has been to somehow squeeze two halves of mostly overhyped football around an excessive, 30 minute music extravaganza looking for controversy?
I watched the movie Battleship (again) the other night. Never heard of Rihanna other than this movie. She is smoking hot.

I have zero interest in the game after seeing how obvious it was who the NFL wanted in the game.

Even the first game, i was like WTF...a lot of home cookin' going on while the game was still in question early on.

The second game, they didn't even try to hide it...and I'm not referring to the late hit out of bounds.

That was a flag.

I'm referring to two obvious holds on that play that they were flagging the Bengals for all night, a late hit on Burrow the series before, the intentional grounding when the Running back was not more than 5 yards away from the ball.

I think the only other time they were this obvious was the Steelers Seahawks Super Bowl.

That whole thing takes away from what is an interesting matchup.

And I'll take some Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction or Shakira over Rhianna

I have zero interest in the game after seeing how obvious it was who the NFL wanted in the game.

Even the first game, i was like WTF...a lot of home cookin' going on while the game was still in question early on.

The second game, they didn't even try to hide it...and I'm not referring to the late hit out of bounds.

That was a flag.

I'm referring to two obvious holds on that play that they were flagging the Bengals for all night, a late hit on Burrow the series before, the intentional grounding when the Running back was not more than 5 yards away from the ball.

I think the only other time they were this obvious was the Steelers Seahawks Super Bowl.

That whole thing takes away from what is an interesting matchup.

And I'll take some Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction or Shakira over Rhianna
Bengals were called for holding all night? They committed two holding penalties, both in the second half. KC committed two holding penalties, one that nullified a TD run early in the game resulting in only a FG. Hardly lopsided when it comes to holding penalties.

Regarding the Mahomes scramble and the "two obvious holds" on the play, it helps to know the rules of the game. Maybe you haven't heard of a rip move, which is a pass-rushing technique. Offensive linemen are allowed to counter it with blocks that would normally be called holding. The article below explains it pretty well:

No, that wasn't holding on the Mahomes scramble

Of course, as a Chiefs fan, I'm going to view the late hit on Burrow as an obvious flop and the extra down given to KC had no bearing on the game since the Chiefs ultimately punted on that drive anyway (and video clearly shows the back judge running and waving his arms for a timeout before the ball was snapped on that infamous third down play). The intentional grounding was a good call if you are a Chiefs fan and a bad call if you were a Bengals fan. Nonetheless, that call didn't stop the Bengals from converting a first down on the next play.

Blaming officials for a loss is a time-honored tradition among football fans. I've done my share of it in the past as well. But more often than not, a game is won by making plays, or in the case of the Bengals, by not making foolish late hits.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Bengals were called for holding all night? They committed two holding penalties, both in the second half. KC committed two holding penalties, one that nullified a TD run early in the game resulting in only a FG. Hardly lopsided when it comes to holding penalties.

Regarding the Mahomes scramble and the "two obvious holds" on the play, it helps to know the rules of the game. Maybe you haven't heard of a rip move, which is a pass-rushing technique. Offensive linemen are allowed to counter it with blocks that would normally be called holding. The article below explains it pretty well:

No, that wasn't holding on the Mahomes scramble

Of course, as a Chiefs fan, I'm going to view the late hit on Burrow as an obvious flop and the extra down given to KC had no bearing on the game since the Chiefs ultimately punted on that drive anyway (and video clearly shows the back judge running and waving his arms for a timeout before the ball was snapped on that infamous third down play). The intentional grounding was a good call if you are a Chiefs fan and a bad call if you were a Bengals fan. Nonetheless, that call didn't stop the Bengals from converting a first down on the next play.

Blaming officials for a loss is a time-honored tradition among football fans. I've done my share of it in the past as well. But more often than not, a game is won by making plays, or in the case of the Bengals, by not making foolish late hits.

Glad Cougar
Glad....I get by the letter of the law the 265 pound dude hit him late. But you cannot stop that quickly trying to pursue the guy. Just hate to see a game decided by that.

Glad....I get by the letter of the law the 265 pound dude hit him late. But you cannot stop that quickly trying to pursue the guy. Just hate to see a game decided by that.
Yeah, it's unfortunate but there would be equal outrage had it not been called. Mahomes had taken a step with both feet out of bounds. Ossai could clearly see he was getting to the sideline and could've eased up but he admitted that he was trying to get to him and hit him backwards which would've kept the clock running. I don't think the Cincy players or coaches blame the officials for calling that one, only the fans.

Glad Cougar

Ed, the late hit was dumb and deserved being called. This wasn't a case of a 265 lb man fighting the laws of physics. It was a 265 lb moron shoving a QB when he was clearly out of bounds.

The missed block in the back on the punt return is the pivotal missed call in my opinion. Some people say that it wasn't a block in the back because he was engaged from the front first....but if you watch the video and pause it, he was held up from behind, engaged from the front and then pushed from behind to take him out of position to make the play on the returner. Blatant missed call....but good for the Chiefs so my wife is happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT