ADVERTISEMENT

Yogi likes WSU’s CFP chances in 2024

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
Per Brand X:

Coach Roth is one of the best around as far as analyzing and evaluating Pac-12 football programs — and he is very high on Coach Jake Dickert and the Cougs for this coming season.

“When I see the amount of players that did not leave, I see the players that came in, I see the system and the coaching staff that is here … And then you look at the slate of games and where they’re slotted. I don’t think this team is going to take a lot of time to build,” Coach Roth said.

“So if they can get through and beat Texas Tech, which I think is possible, if they can beat their rival in the Apple Cup here in Seattle in the Seahawks’ stadium, which is possible," he added. "Remember, they were a snap or two away from beating a team that went to the national title … They’re going to be the darlings in college football. And I know it’s bold, but I’m not afraid to say the Cougs have a real shot of going to the playoff next year. They just do.”

Exciting stuff from Yogi, who was back in the Evergreen State to support a Coug fundraiser

Last edited:
Reactions: 702coug
Coach Roth is one of the best around as far as analyzing and evaluating Pac-12 football programs — and he is very high on Coach Jake Dickert and the Cougs for this coming season.

“When I see the amount of players that did not leave, I see the players that came in, I see the system and the coaching staff that is here … And then you look at the slate of games and where they’re slotted. I don’t think this team is going to take a lot of time to build,” Coach Roth said.

“So if they can get through and beat Texas Tech, which I think is possible, if they can beat their rival in the Apple Cup here in Seattle in the Seahawks’ stadium, which is possible," he added. "Remember, they were a snap or two away from beating a team that went to the national title … They’re going to be the darlings in college football. And I know it’s bold, but I’m not afraid to say the Cougs have a real shot of going to the playoff next year. They just do.”

Exciting stuff!

As much as I would like if that were to come true, I'm not sold on WSU going to CFP this coming season.

8-4, 9-3, 10-2 is realistic. But going 11-1, 12-0 and thus going to CFP, is NOT realistic, even semi probable, etc.

11-1, 12-0, CFP, 2-10, 3-9, 4-8 is very unlikely.

8-4, 9-3, 7-5, 6-6, 10-2, 5-7 is a more very likely RANGE.

8-4, 9-3, 7-5 is the MOST LIKELY RANGE.

Last edited:
As much as I would like if that were to come true, I'm not sold on WSU going to CFP this coming season.

8-4, 9-3, 10-2 is realistic. But going 11-1, 12-0 and thus going to CFP, is NOT realistic, even semi probable, etc.

11-0, 12-0, CFP, 2-10, 3-9, 4-8 is very unlikely.

Keep in mind that WSU has a BAD O LINE. has a brand new less experienced O Line coach that will probably be learning on the job on, about how to be a high G5/low P5 level O Line coach, having to either start last seasons BACK UP QB, or getting a transfer QB to start, a Semi DECIMATED WR corp, that replaced by a lot of HS INEXPERIENCED, UNTRIED WR's.

Now it isn't all bad, and there is a lot of good, talent on, coming back, and Smith is a pretty good recruiter, that will probably fill holes, and he is not done recruiting, and he could easily get some awesome recruits, and the MTN schedule is a EASIER SCHEDULE then typical PAC 12 schedule, and because of that WSU will probably go 8-4, 9-3, 7-5, etc.

But that's probably not enough for WSU to go 11-1, 12-0 to CFP.

While Roth was a coach, and semi credible, Roth, either hasn't done enough research to see why WSU won't do that good, or he got caught up in hype, excitement, or he is FLUFFING A FLUFF piece to get WSU fans excited, reading his content, seeing ads, etc.

Per Brand X:

Exciting stuff from Yogi, who was back in the Evergreen State to support a Coug fundraiser
Interesting. You are breaking in a new QB. Despite your take on Cam Ward he’s regarded as one of the most talented QBs returning in CFB this year. I like Mateers potential but I’m not sold he steps in and is better than Ward. The OLine was a hot mess last year. Probably a bit of a stretch to say we have a good shot at the CFP. If we beat TTU and UW we probably have a decent team so ok. The AC looks a lot more interesting with UWs offseason implosion. No reason we can’t win that one.

11-0, 12-0, CFP, 2-10, 3-9, 4-8 is very unlikely.

Mik just discovered the bell curve.

Congratulations, Mik.

Mik just discovered the bell curve.

Congratulations, Mik.
I think a 5-10 win range is bankable.

The only way we could even be in the conversation for the CFP is if we go undefeated and TT and uw go on to have great seasons as well. So that bubble will likely be burst by the 3rd week.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT