ADVERTISEMENT

3 things post game

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
1. Cameron Ward generates a lot of very positive plays and some very negative plays. When added together, he’s obviously a net positive player. But if he could just eliminate taking sacks where he could throw the ball away, or run the ball when he has a lane, he’d be a lot more net positive. Eliminate the bottom half of those highly negative plays and we are probably 2-3 games better on the record. He’s frustrating polar in performance.

2. Refs were no help, but if we don’t run bubble screens on 3&12 we can go for it on 4th and 5. If we just catch the easy interceptions we prevent their TD. If Cam runs for the first instead of throwing an incomplete to Victor we probably kick an icing field goal. If we take advantage of our opportunities and stop making ridiculous mistakes, we pull ahead easily in that game. Rip off a 22 yard run and then throw it 3 times with the clock at 4 minutes? Refs suck and affect both sides, we did not control what we could have controlled.

3. Arbuckle needs some coaching. I like lots of his concepts, especially the pick plays and slants, but we rely way too much on little slot receivers trying to spring blocks for bubble screens. We have got to stop it. And the trick toss halfback pass every game has to stop.

Overall I thought the game was a strong indication of an improving team. I hope they can build on momentum into the offseason and sell their idea to recruits.

As for # 2. Worst call of the game. Not the roughing. Not the 5 holding calls to UWs zero. Nope…worst call of the game…on third and 17 in the first half we get…17 yards +/- 6 inches. Where do we get marked? A full F’n yard short. It goes to replay. It’s clear as day the ball was marked a yard short. What do they do? Respot and measure? Nope. Put it in the same GD spot. That’s when I knew the fix was in.

1. Cameron Ward generates a lot of very positive plays and some very negative plays. When added together, he’s obviously a net positive player. But if he could just eliminate taking sacks where he could throw the ball away, or run the ball when he has a lane, he’d be a lot more net positive. Eliminate the bottom half of those highly negative plays and we are probably 2-3 games better on the record. He’s frustrating polar in performance.

2. Refs were no help, but if we don’t run bubble screens on 3&12 we can go for it on 4th and 5. If we just catch the easy interceptions we prevent their TD. If Cam runs for the first instead of throwing an incomplete to Victor we probably kick an icing field goal. If we take advantage of our opportunities and stop making ridiculous mistakes, we pull ahead easily in that game. Rip off a 22 yard run and then throw it 3 times with the clock at 4 minutes? Refs suck and affect both sides, we did not control what we could have controlled.

3. Arbuckle needs some coaching. I like lots of his concepts, especially the pick plays and slants, but we rely way too much on little slot receivers trying to spring blocks for bubble screens. We have got to stop it. And the trick toss halfback pass every game has to stop.

Overall I thought the game was a strong indication of an improving team. I hope they can build on momentum into the offseason and sell their idea to recruits.
I have never seen a team that does so poorly on all the trick plays that we run. Even our backup QB, who really should know so much better, threw a trick play into triple coverage. As for this particular play, how many times have we heard the TV crews tell us that you should NEVER throw late back across the middle. So how much worse is it when you throw late all the way across the field to the opposite sideline? And if you are going to try something like that at least have someone that can put it on a line instead of an arc that resembles an eephus pitch or a 60 degree lob wedge?

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
I have never seen a team that does so poorly on all the trick plays that we run. Even our backup QB, who really should know so much better, threw a trick play into triple coverage. As for this particular play, how many times have we heard the TV crews tell us that you should NEVER throw late back across the middle. So how much worse is it when you throw late all the way across the field to the opposite sideline? And if you are going to try something like that at least have someone that can put it on a line instead of an arc that resembles an eephus pitch or a 60 degree lob wedge?

If the kid did what he was told to do that’s on the staff. If he freelanced, well that’s still on the staff.

It is just bad.

If the kid did what he was told to do that’s on the staff. If he freelanced, well that’s still on the staff.

It is just bad.
They got beat by 3 on the road against top 5 team while getting railroaded by the refs. They weren’t perfect, but your JV high school staff would have lost by 60.

Those aren’t bubble screens.

Overall I thought the game was a strong indication of an improving team. I hope they can build on momentum into the offseason and sell their idea to recruits. Candy Crush
However, you believe that if he could avoid certain negative plays, such as taking unnecessary sacks or not taking advantage of open running lanes, his impact on the team would be even greater.

Those aren’t bubble screens.
Gawd Gibby, can you just get off the bubble screen BS? Who the F cares?

I was just watching a Lord of The rings clip. The scene where Gandalf and Eomer show up at dawn and save Theoden and the rest of the Rohirim (spelling?) Gotta be one of the best scenes in movie history. "To the King!" sluiced those F-ing Orcs. Then the Ents finished them off.

But I guess the endless BS about bubble screens takes priority. Over great movie scenes, world murder and disasters and anything else. Rigt?

I was just watching a Lord of The rings clip. The scene where Gandalf and Eomer show up at dawn and save Theoden and the rest of the Rohirim (spelling?) Gotta be one of the best scenes in movie history. "To the King!" sluiced those F-ing Orcs. Then the Ents finished them off.

But I guess the endless BS about bubble screens takes priority. Over great movie scenes, world murder and disasters and anything else. Rigt?
gibby has appointed himsself board contrarian and antagonist

Good thread, Chugs. Thanks for starting it.

1. Agree re: Ward. Another year of college play is absolutely necessary for him before he tries to go pro. He is not ready yet.
2. It is easy to see mistaken choices in hindsight. You are right on all of it, but it is the nature of the game for this to happen more often than we like.
3. Arbuckle is still learning. I generally like what I see, but WSU was a great career move for him; he got more authority than most kids (yes, kids) his age. I got a career break like that and it was very beneficial. Arbuckle will continue to learn. I think his future is bright...but that is his future. Right now he needs to work on his present.

Last edited:
Good thread, Chugs. Thanks for starting it.

1. Agree re: Ward. Another year of college play is absolutely necessary for him before he tries to go pro. He is not ready yet.
2. I is easy to see mistaken choices in hindsight. You are right on all of it, but it is the nature of the game for this to happen more often than we like.
3. Arbuckle is still learning. I generally like what I see, but WSU was a great career move for him; he got more authority than most kids (yes, kids) his age. I got a career break like that and it was very beneficial. Arbuckle will continue to learn. I think his future is bright...but that is his future. Right now he needs to work on his present.
Yea, more OJT for underqualified guys who will jump ship at the first hint of a bigger payday, which will be practically any suiter going forward.

No one asked for your opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT