ADVERTISEMENT

37-for-49 for 451 yards and 3 TDs

Cougar defense started and played most of the game in a 4-2-5 alignment which is why you only notice stats from two LBs (Richardson and Thornton). With Wisconsin's running game, it's possible WSU goes with a 3rd linebacker but I'm not sure. Mellusi is a quality RB for the Badgers and had 157 yards last week.

Glad Cougar

DEPTH.

Devin and Thornton can't play 100% of the minutes.

CSU was GASHING semi successfully, with the RUN, whenever Devin, Thornton, weren't in the game, in certain situations.

If Devin, Thornton had been involved in those certain situations, instead of back ups, the defense vs the run would have been better.

Wisconsin is going to EXPOSE that problem.

WSU NEEDS a good 3rd LB for back up and for those situations when SCHMEDDING, Dickert, decide to go with 3 LB's

LAST thing WSU needs is a LB HOLE at 3rd LB.

We only gave up like 30 yards rushing. I know it’s only CSU and this isn’t the Palouse posse but thought the whole defense played pretty damned well. Yeah Wisconsin will run for 150 + on us, they are Wisconsin. Key is to not let them convert third downs and keep our defense from wearing down 2nd half. I said it before the season and still maintain we will need 35 to win this game. This will be a completely different game than the one in Madison. Bet the over.

And those 30 yards happened in 3,4,5,6 plays when Devin, Thornton weren't on the field.

And it was more then 30 yards rushing by the CSU RB, as the 30 number was the NET number after NEGATIVE runs by the QB, RB.

The GROSS yardage by CSU RB or RB's, was about 45 to 55 yards. And it was about 3,4,5,6 plays that accounted for most of that, as 2,3, etc plays went for about 1,2,3 yards.

The RB or RB's were averaging about 5.5 to 7.5 to 10 yards per carry, in certain situations, when Devin, Thornton were not in the game.

Devin, Thornton weren't usually giving up those kind of runs. There might have been 1 run like that, that they gave up, but it's not the norm.

Not having a 3rd LB, is a HUGE hole.

And that hole is going to continue to be exposed, as it was exposed by CSU.

Why CSU stopped running the ball in those certain situations, when Devin, Thornton were not on the field, while the score was semi close, is a head scratcher, as they were doing so successfully.

You must have been watching something different. I saw runs getting stuffed for no gain, 2 yards, in the backfield on 4th and short. It’s hard to stop the run in college, no matter who you are playing. Wisconsin will run the ball for sure and get their yards but I saw nothing against CSU I’d call concerning.

You must have been watching something different. I saw runs getting stuffed for no gain, 2 yards, in the backfield on 4th and short. It’s hard to stop the run in college, no matter who you are playing. Wisconsin will run the ball for sure and get their yards but I saw nothing against CSU I’d call concerning.

WSU was doing that, stuffing the run, most of the time.

But whenever Devin or Thornton left the field, combined with certain situations, WSU gave up about 45 to 55 yards in about 3,4,5,6,7 carries by CSU RB, RB's.

Most of the time they were fine.

And Wiscy types will certainly successfully run against WSU, especially when Devin, Thornton are out.

But when Devin, Thornton are in, they can limit Wiscy's running attack.

But the problem will be about Midway thru the 3 rd quarter, as Devin, Thornton come out for breaks more and more.

And even teams as bad as CSU, can successfully run the ball, when Devin, Thornton, are out, and during the whole 4th quarter.

Because there is only Devin, Thornton in LB corp that play well so far, the defense vs the run, will absolutely be GASSED, mid 3 rd Quarter, by 5-7, 6-6, 7-5, 8-4, 9-3, 10-2, etc programs, and if not by Mid 3rd quarter, then whole 4th quarter.

And those 30 yards happened in 3,4,5,6 plays when Devin, Thornton weren't on the field.

And it was more then 30 yards rushing by the CSU RB, as the 30 number was the NET number after NEGATIVE runs by the QB, RB.

The GROSS yardage by CSU RB or RB's, was about 45 to 55 yards. And it was about 3,4,5,6 plays that accounted for most of that, as 2,3, etc plays went for about 1,2,3 yards.

The RB or RB's were averaging about 5.5 to 7.5 to 10 yards per carry, in certain situations, when Devin, Thornton were not in the game.

Devin, Thornton weren't usually giving up those kind of runs. There might have been 1 run like that, that they gave up, but it's not the norm.

Not having a 3rd LB, is a HUGE hole.

And that hole is going to continue to be exposed, as it was exposed by CSU.

Why CSU stopped running the ball in those certain situations, when Devin, Thornton were not on the field, while the score was semi close, is a head scratcher, as they were doing so successfully.
CSU running backs had 18 carries for 45 yards. That doesn't count the QB's two runs for -8 yards (sacks). The longest carry by a CSU running back was 6 yards, once. Nobody on CSU averaged 5.5 to 7.5 to 10 yards per carry, in any situation, let alone when Thompson and Thornton weren't in the game. I'm not dismissing your concern for linebacker depth, especially vs. Wisconsin. But there was absolutely nothing in the Colorado State game that suggests there's a problem with the LB corps. It could be a problem against a really good rushing team like the Badgers. We'll just have to see.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
CSU running backs had 18 carries for 45 yards. That doesn't count the QB's two runs for -8 yards (sacks). The longest carry by a CSU running back was 6 yards, once. Nobody on CSU averaged 5.5 to 7.5 to 10 yards per carry, in any situation, let alone when Thompson and Thornton weren't in the game. I'm not dismissing your concern for linebacker depth, especially vs. Wisconsin. But there was absolutely nothing in the Colorado State game that suggests there's a problem with the LB corps. It could be a problem against a really good rushing team like the Badgers. We'll just have to see.

Glad Cougar
Thank you glad this is what I thought I saw. You put it much more eloquently. Fact remains Wisconsin is a different beast. We ain’t keeping them to 45 yards. If we “hold them” under 200 rushing we are probably in the game. That’s what they do. The LBs will need to bring it Saturday no question. Hell the entire 11…takes 3-4 guys to bring these kids down sometimes. Need some crowd noise too, a few false starts to get them in long situations and out of their element.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT