ADVERTISEMENT

37-for-49 for 451 yards and 3 TDs

491 yards and four touchdowns.

First game, on the road.

Scored more points each quarter.

I think I’ll choose to be pleased with today’s performance.
In general the offense was picking up huge chunks and he was making great decisions and on time throws.

It’s fair to say some of the slop needs to get cleaned up and that overthrow on the lay up at the goal line was rough. The objective is to score points not get 600 yards and the offense left some points on the field. You can get away with that against CSU but better teams will punish you for that.

Overall hard to be salty for game 1. I was at game 1 last year and this was light years better.

Reactions: mikalalas
Still makes rookie mistakes after 30+ starts. Unacceptable. Can’t be a leader when you make this many dumb mistakes. He has to be better.

Biggs is the abusive husband. Nothing is good enough for him. I think Ward did well enough. Especially with a new OC.

Raise your standards. Attitudes like yours hold football programs back. WSU is better off without you.

Biggs is the abusive husband. Nothing is good enough for him. I think Ward did well enough. Especially with a new OC.
I’m not interested in seeing him play “well enough” to beat CSU. As a 3rd year starter, I want to see him polished, decisive, and in control. I want to see him in command of the offense and able to control the game. I do not want to see him fumbling snaps and botching handoffs. I want him to be a serious problem for a DC.

I don’t see any of that. I see money wasted on a pickup.

I’m not interested in seeing him play “well enough” to beat CSU. As a 3rd year starter, I want to see him polished, decisive, and in control. I want to see him in command of the offense and able to control the game. I do not want to see him fumbling snaps and botching handoffs. I want him to be a serious problem for a DC.

Am I not the only one that thinks he isnt that good??? Couldn’t be…

Actually it’s cheapskates like you that have held the program back for decades.
I saw someone griping about the CBSSN coverage on Facebook. It’s the fans who never went to games or donated less than they could have that are the real reasons that we got left behind.

We have a Mountain West fan base whether we like it or not.

3rd year starter? I guess that's true if you count his time at Incarnate Word. In that case, he's actually a 4th year starter since he was the #1 guy at IWU during the shortened COVID season. Nonetheless, he has things to clean up but it's hard for me to ignore 500 yards of production and 4 TDs. Those are good numbers by anyone against anybody at anytime.

Glad Cougar

I think it’s interesting there’s all this scrutiny about Ward and the passing game after 450 yards…we all saw the bumbles and yes they need to be cleaned up. But anyone want to talk about the running game? If I’ve got concerns right now that’s 1a and 1b. I like the QB runs in this offense but you don’t want ward being your leading rusher.

bad saps hae a tendancy to be fumbled, the center needs to get his act together

3rd year starter? I guess that's true if you count his time at Incarnate Word. In that case, he's actually a 4th year starter since he was the #1 guy at IWU during the shortened COVID season. Nonetheless, he has things to clean up but it's hard for me to ignore 500 yards of production and 4 TDs. Those are good numbers by anyone against anybody at anytime.

Glad Cougar

Glad, your comment about his stats are fair. It doesn't tell the the story though. He is still making mistakes that you see in jv high school football. The top half of his game is the yards and td’s… the bottom half of his game is bone head, game is too big for him mistakes that cost you games. He has to eliminate that stuff or his play will be the reason WSU loses.

I saw someone griping about the CBSSN coverage on Facebook. It’s the fans who never went to games or donated less than they could have that are the real reasons that we got left behind.

We have a Mountain West fan base whether we like it or not.
Attendance and donation levels are meaningless to the networks. Market and market potential are what matters.

We got left behind in 1890, when they picked Pullman for the university.

I think it’s interesting there’s all this scrutiny about Ward and the passing game after 450 yards…we all saw the bumbles and yes they need to be cleaned up. But anyone want to talk about the running game? If I’ve got concerns right now that’s 1a and 1b. I like the QB runs in this offense but you don’t want ward being your leading rusher.
Yeah, I'll chime in.

Running game? What running game?

We don't have a standout running back and nobody ever said we did.

When was the last time we really had a good running back? Rueben Mayes, (and that was back in the 80's!)?

Max Borghi? Uhh...no. Jerome (The Ghost) Harrison? Uhh.....okay.

In fact, it won't surprise me that Ward will end up with the most rushing yards on many games this year, even though CJD doesn't want that to happen!

Last edited:
I listened to the coaches show Thursday night and Dickert was talking about the new Strength coach and his impact and he mentioned Ward has really embraced it. To me, he looked leaner and more cut than last season and seemed faster as well. The threat of him running for 6-12 yards is really going to open up the offense. He also has a better receiving core IMO. They are quicker and bigger and how many drops did you see yesterday?

Sure there are some things to clean up starting with the bad snaps and some accuracy issues though I’ll chalk the miss on play action at the goal line to an adrenaline rush he got when he saw how well the play worked and how wide open he was.
I predict WSU will be in top 5 in the league for offense. I also predict a lot of you will be bitching about that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll chime in.

When was the last time we really had a good running back? Rueben Mayes, (and that was back in the 80's!)?

In fact, it won't surprise me that Ward will end up with the most rushing yards on many games this year, even though CJD doesn't want that to happen!

Harrison was an amazing running back.

Yeah, I'll chime in.

It is hard to be a standout running back when you don’t get to carry the ball.

To shit on Borghi and the Ghost? You’re a dummy.

Reactions: Cougini5591
I listened to the coaches show Thursday night and Dickert was talking about the new Strength coach and his impact and he mentioned Ward has really embraced it. To me, he looked leaner and more cut than last season and seemed faster as well. The threat of him running for 6-12 yards is really going to open up the offense. He also has a better receiving core IMO. They are quicker and bigger and how many drops did you see yesterday?

Sure there are some things to clean up starting with the bad snaps and some accuracy issues though I’ll chalk the miss on play action at the goal line to an adrenaline rush he got when he saw how well the play worked and how wide open he was.
I predict WSU will be in top 5 in the league for offense. I also predict a lot of you will be bitching about that.

More excuses for bad play. Top 5 for offense means nothing if you don’t win.

WSU has 7 teams on the schedule that were bad last year. That is where the wins are. That is where the stats will be.

They make their name against good competition, not bad.

Yeah, I'll chime in.

That’s a bit harsh. Harrison should have won the Heisman. Borghi WTF? Dude was a great back. He lost something after his injury. Michael Black. The three headed monster of Wicks, Morrow, and Williams. Is your criteria whether or not they succeed in the NFL to be a “good” college back??

Back to the present, Watson is plenty capable and had over 1K APY. Not a game breaker but can certainly run for 100 in any game. Jenkins ran all over USC last year. Yeah he’s pretty good.

The run blocking sucked, nobody got to the second level. There were two backers untouched on damn near every run. Wards exchange on the read option is cringeworthy. That’s why they couldn’t pick up chunks on the ground.

Reactions: random soul

I agree we will be in the top 5 in offense. I’m fine with a QB taking an easy keep for 8-12 yards and sliding or running OB, and it will open up passing lanes. Here’s the problem. Half of his carries he got wrecked, awkwardly bent up, etc. he won’t make it through the season.

As for the receivers. Great hands and on the same page as Ward. I did not see any game breaking speed which is worrisome. If your offense is heavy pass, you better be able to stretch the field vertically. Not sure they have a guy that can do that.

I agree we will be in the top 5 in offense. I’m fine with a QB taking an easy keep for 8-12 yards and sliding or running OB, and it will open up passing lanes. Here’s the problem. Half of his carries he got wrecked, awkwardly bent up, etc. he won’t make it through the season.

As for the receivers. Great hands and on the same page as Ward. I did not see any game breaking speed which is worrisome. If your offense is heavy pass, you better be able to stretch the field vertically. Not sure they have a guy that can do that.

They smartly used Mateer near the goal line to run the ball in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cougini5591
More excuses for bad play. Top 5 for offense means nothing if you don’t win.

WSU has 7 teams on the schedule that were bad last year. That is where the wins are. That is where the stats will be.

They make their name against good competition, not bad.
We’ll see how good the D is but if they are decent, a top 5 Offense with good special teams should win you 8 games which for an underfunded under supported school like WSU is pretty respectable.

We’ll see how good the D is but if they are decent, a top 5 Offense with good special teams should win you 8 games which for an underfunded under supported school like WSU is pretty respectable.

Good special teams? Like the special teams that gave up a 98 yard touchdown last night?

How many league wins? Cause while wins against the CSU JV team and Northern Colorado JV team may be nice, the proof is in wins against other power 5 teams. The proof is in league wins.

Enough excuses. Excuses are the new WSU mascot. WSU plays power 5 football, for now anyways, there are no asterisks after losses because the other school had more this or more that. Enough excuses.

The “standout” is you and how dumb you are for running down Borghi and Ghost.
I acknowledged Ghost was good.

What are you looking for a fight? Move on. We haven't had a standout Running Back at Washington State for decades.

Bhorgi was great at times. Leach should have given him the ball more.

What are you looking for a fight? Move on. We haven't had a standout Running Back at Washington State for decades.

I'm not trying to ruin you here, but c'mon man... when you have running backs that the best in the Pac would pickup without hesitation... they are considered great.

Borg and Williams can party in Coug land 24/7

Im not looking for a fight. Im pointing out that you don’t know a damn thing and saying Borghi wasn’t a standout or manufacturing a way to diminish him is horse shit. You should stfu and move on to another topic. You don’t know wtf you’re talking about when you dump on Max.

And your podcast sucks.

Glad, your comment about his stats are fair. It doesn't tell the the story though. He is still making mistakes that you see in jv high school football. The top half of his game is the yards and td’s… the bottom half of his game is bone head, game is too big for him mistakes that cost you games. He has to eliminate that stuff or his play will be the reason WSU loses.
That's a reasonable response and I agree with you that vs. Wisconsin or Pac-12 play, those kinds of mistakes will be a lot more costly. Ward absolutely needs to eliminate the unforced errors.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: BiggsCoug
That's a reasonable response and I agree with you that vs. Wisconsin or Pac-12 play, those kinds of mistakes will be a lot more costly. Ward absolutely needs to eliminate the unforced errors.

Glad Cougar

Here’s the thing about the air raid… It is a qb centric offense. There isn’t a 1,000 yard back to lean on if your qb is having a tough night. The scheme doesn’t run the ball. The rotation of receivers, distribution of passes and multiple formations with a TE now diminish the chances of having a break out/go to receiver. If your qb is struggling, it’s likely gonna be a loss.

In a system so reliant on the qb, Ward just doesn’t get the margin for error. He has to remove these mistakes from his game for WSU to win out over all these teams on their schedule coming off bad/down years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT