ADVERTISEMENT

37-for-49 for 451 yards and 3 TDs

I'm not trying to ruin you here, but c'mon man... when you have running backs that the best in the Pac would pickup without hesitation... they are considered great.

Borg and Williams can party in Coug land 24/7
Yeah weirdest take of the weekend. So they have to be successful in the NFL and/or get drafted to be considered great? So Derting wasn’t great? Gabe Marks? Hell by that logic Marquis Wilson was great but Gabe Marks wasn’t? Yeah, No.

Here’s the thing about the air raid… It is a qb centric offense. There isn’t a 1,000 yard back to lean on if your qb is having a tough night. The scheme doesn’t run the ball. The rotation of receivers, distribution of passes and multiple formations with a TE now diminish the chances of having a break out/go to receiver. If your qb is struggling, it’s likely gonna be a loss.

In a system so reliant on the qb, Ward just doesn’t get the margin for error. He has to remove these mistakes from his game for WSU to win out over all these teams on their schedule coming off bad/down years.
Or have an offensive line that frustrates the defensive front enough to make them sit in the corner and suck their thumbs.

Leach 100% knew what he wanted on his Oline. He got it most of the time

Or have an offensive line that frustrates the defensive front enough to make them sit in the corner and suck their thumbs.

Leach 100% knew what he wanted on his Oline. He got it most of the time

It is all pass blocking all the time. The Seahawks had no clue Abe was gonna run block like he did. Either Leach didn’t know too OR he just didn’t give a shit. Imagine Max running behind Abe 8 times per game?

I liked what I saw from Arbuckle’s run scheme last night. The OL needs power 5 competition to really evaluate what they can do. We may see a TE or 2 a lot this year….

Reactions: Cougini5591
It is all pass blocking all the time. The Seahawks had no clue Abe was gonna run block like he did. Either Leach didn’t know too OR he just didn’t give a shit. Imagine Max running behind Abe 8 times per game?

I liked what I saw from Arbuckle’s run scheme last night. The OL needs power 5 competition to really evaluate what they can do. We may see a TE or 2 a lot this year….
I think Jared Kartsetter from Ferris was a 4 star too

Yeah, I'll chime in.

Running game? What running game?

We don't have a standout running back and nobody ever said we did.

When was the last time we really had a good running back? Rueben Mayes, (and that was back in the 80's!)?

Max Borghi? Uhh...no. Jerome (The Ghost) Harrison? Uhh.....okay.

In fact, it won't surprise me that Ward will end up with the most rushing yards on many games this year, even though CJD doesn't want that to happen!

Jerome harrison ran for 1900 yards.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
We don't have a standout running back and nobody ever said we did.

When was the last time we really had a good running back? Rueben Mayes, (and that was back in the 80's!)?

Max Borghi? Uhh...no. Jerome (The Ghost) Harrison? Uhh.....okay.
You literally called "The Ghost" by his nickname. And he broke the conference record at the time with 16 100+ straight.

You understand that is a good thing in football, yes?

I’m not interested in seeing him play “well enough” to beat CSU. As a 3rd year starter, I want to see him polished, decisive, and in control. I want to see him in command of the offense and able to control the game. I do not want to see him fumbling snaps and botching handoffs. I want him to be a serious problem for a DC.

I don’t see any of that. I see money wasted on a pickup.
I see 50 points on the scoreboard.

I also see a “1” under the W column.

Reactions: mikalalas
You don’t. You either coach him better, bench him or you don’t have anyone else.
This! Doesn’t change the fact 20 yr old kids are making stupid mistakes in every CFB game. Yes, even when Bama is playing Georgia. Agreed if Ward continues to be careless with the ball after you’ve coached the hell out of him, you need to hold him accountable. That’s a life lesson.

This! Doesn’t change the fact 20 yr old kids are making stupid mistakes in every CFB game. Yes, even when Bama is playing Georgia. Agreed if Ward continues to be careless with the ball after you’ve coached the hell out of him, you need to hold him accountable. That’s a life lesson.

The Clemson running back who gacked up the ball on the Duke 1 yard line is 21 years old. Their QB will be 20 years old in three weeks and couldn't come through in the clutch. Will Shipley, let a late pass slip through his hands and get picked.....he's 21 years old. Apparently, Clemson should fire Dabo and his staff because their players made mistakes that cost them a game. Every play and every game MUST BE PERFECT!

The Clemson running back who gacked up the ball on the Duke 1 yard line is 21 years old. Their QB will be 20 years old in three weeks and couldn't come through in the clutch. Will Shipley, let a late pass slip through his hands and get picked.....he's 21 years old. Apparently, Clemson should fire Dabo and his staff because their players made mistakes that cost them a game. Every play and every game MUST BE PERFECT!
I agree, one mistake, hit the shower

Back to Ward I think this Saturday will be a good barometer for how far he’s come. It’s tough to say against a CSU. Outside the fumbles (at least one of which was on the center) and pass at the goal line (I’ve seen NFL all pros do that same thing) he had damn near a perfect game. Yes those mistakes will be killers against the conference elite there’s no question. Luckily that’s not who we played Saturday.

I for one think he’s a different QB than last year despite the handful of gaffs on Saturday. His footwork is way better, he’s stepping up in the pocket instead of bailing out into edge pressure. We will probably need 30-35+ to beat Wisconsin. He will need to have a very good game and minimal errors to win.

Back to Ward I think this Saturday will be a good barometer for how far he’s come. It’s tough to say against a CSU. Outside the fumbles (at least one of which was on the center) and pass at the goal line (I’ve seen NFL all pros do that same thing) he had damn near a perfect game. Yes those mistakes will be killers against the conference elite there’s no question. Luckily that’s not who we played Saturday.

I for one think he’s a different QB than last year despite the handful of gaffs on Saturday. His footwork is way better, he’s stepping up in the pocket instead of bailing out into edge pressure. We will probably need 30-35+ to beat Wisconsin. He will need to have a very good game and minimal errors to win.
I'm actually concerned about our defense stopping the run. Last Saturday was not a good test at all, as CSU is a really bad football team. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Saturday will be huge test and will reveal that we can't stop the run.

I think Wisconsin is going to run it down our throats. Hope I'm wrong.

It should have been 70-0. And 20 year old kids aren’t allowed to make any mistakes. You new here?
You mean 70-0 at the coin flip, right? Otherwise you need to raise your expectations. It's fans like you that have screwed this program. The fans that buy tickets and donate are dummies that don't know football.

Greyhound tickets home for all of them!

Aaand…he’s leading the nation in yards. Now I know points are more important than yards and they left some points on the field sure…but lets at least give the kid one more week 😂

I'm actually concerned about our defense stopping the run. Last Saturday was not a good test at all, as CSU is a really bad football team. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Saturday will be huge test and will reveal that we can't stop the run.

I think Wisconsin is going to run it down our throats. Hope I'm wrong.

WSU only had Devin Richardson, and Thornton, playing well at Linebacker.

There is a HUGE hole at linebacker, with only 2 of the 3 linebackers playing good.

That means that a good running team, can expose that hole.

The D line is pretty good, and helps cover that linebacker hole.

The truly elite running teams will be hard for the defense to stop, and will need a offense clicking on all cylinders to have a chance.

The hole at linebacker, making it harder to stop the run, and the inability to run the ball, due to bad run blocking of the O Line, were the biggest concerns.

The errors, mistakes, etc, will probably be cleaned up in time, and the offense, WR's, Cam, ARBUCKLE, sure put a hell of a lot of offense, stats, points, etc, on the board(550 yards(450 pass yards(50 QB rushing yards(50 points), etc

There is a HUGE hole at linebacker, with only 2 of the 3 linebackers playing good.

The truly elite running teams will be hard for the defense to stop, and will need a offense clicking on all cylinders to have a chance.

The hole at linebacker, making it harder to stop the run, and the inability to run the ball, due to bad run blocking of the O Line, were the biggest concerns.

The errors, mistakes, etc, will probably be cleaned up in time, and the offense, WR's, Cam, ARBUCKLE, sure put a hell of a lot of offense, stats, points, etc, on the board(550 yards(450 pass yards(50 QB rushing yards(50 points), etc
We only gave up like 30 yards rushing. I know it’s only CSU and this isn’t the Palouse posse but thought the whole defense played pretty damned well. Yeah Wisconsin will run for 150 + on us, they are Wisconsin. Key is to not let them convert third downs and keep our defense from wearing down 2nd half. I said it before the season and still maintain we will need 35 to win this game. This will be a completely different game than the one in Madison. Bet the over.

Cougar defense started and played most of the game in a 4-2-5 alignment which is why you only notice stats from two LBs (Richardson and Thornton). With Wisconsin's running game, it's possible WSU goes with a 3rd linebacker but I'm not sure. Mellusi is a quality RB for the Badgers and had 157 yards last week.

Glad Cougar

Yup. No worries flat I thought the same thing when I first saw it.

So yeah we’ve got the QB with the most yards in the country and A 50 spot in week one and people are bitching. Fan is short for fanatic.
Exactly my point for starting the thread. The kid is amazingly talented. The OL last year was deplorable. He had NO TIME back there and still a select group of idiots were (and are) continually calling for the backup. Ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT