ADVERTISEMENT

A game should NEVER be decided on a coin toss.

That game wasn't decided by a coin toss. It was decided by the Chiefs lack of defense when it mattered. They only gave up 17 points in the first 56 minutes of the game but gave up 20 points in the last eight minutes. The refs sucked and were a factor, but they've had a terrible defense all year and it bit them in the arse during crunch time.

That game wasn't decided by a coin toss. It was decided by the Chiefs lack of defense when it mattered. They only gave up 17 points in the first 56 minutes of the game but gave up 20 points in the last eight minutes. The refs sucked and were a factor, but they've had a terrible defense all year and it bit them in the arse during crunch time.
So should a hoops game be decided by the first made basket in OT? What is the difference?

Reactions: metprof
So should a hoops game be decided by the first made basket in OT? What is the difference?

Scoring occurs frequently in basketball. The same five players play both offense and defense in basketball. In football, every team has an offense and a separate defense. Both of those are huge differences.

The offense is not more important than the defense. The Chiefs defense didn't do their job in overtime. They lost.

NFL rules suck! I watched the whole game to have it decided by a coin toss. It's no wonder I really don't watch the NFL anymore. The only FAIR way in OT, is that both teams get an opportunity! That sucked!

I’m a huge Pats fan, but I hate the OT rule. At the end of the game, the defenses are gassed. It’s a huge advantage to the coin toss winner. Silly. Do the college thing and give them each a turn with the ball on the 50.

With that said, the Pats converted 3 huge 3rd and 9s in OT. Wow.

NFL OT sucks.

The college model is so much better. You may have to adjust starting point on the field - or just do alternating possessions which start with a kickoff.

Anybody who watched the epic LSU/A&M 7 OT game knows that was some drama compared to yesterday's pro games.

I get your point and I agree that the NFL rule sucks. I do think that both teams should get the chance to score. However, it's a little bit harder to score a touchdown on your first possession in football than it is to make a basket in basketball. If the Chiefs hadn't sucked on defense in the clutch, they would have won that game.

As damning as the coin toss was the bad call on the "roughing the passer" that went against KC, the missed "roughing the passer" when a Patriots player hit Mahomes in the head, the "catch" where the ball was clearly moving around, hit the ground, but was ruled a catch anyway and the overturn of Edelman touching the ball even though there wasn't a clear angle showing that it didn't graze him (that one was the least frustrating). All those calls were more meaningful and disappointing than the coin toss. KC still had a chance to win the game and couldn't do it.

My enjoyment of NFL football has been in decline for years. It has nothing to do with the kneeling, because I couldn't care less about that, but just the general sense that it's a manufactured product that's only about money and marketing and nothing to do with the sport itself. The NFL overtime rules were changed recently to what they are now, because the old rules ended the game on a field goal too, so they are slowly trudging in the right direction, but it's going to take time. For me, this Super Bowl is completely meaningless and I have no desire to watch it. Unfortunately for me, my wife is home for the Super Bowl for the first time in five years (she's a nurse and has been stuck working that weekend for years), and she has told me that I will watch it, whether I like it or not.......o_O.

NFL rules suck! I watched the whole game to have it decided by a coin toss. It's no wonder I really don't watch the NFL anymore. The only FAIR way in OT, is that both teams get an opportunity! That sucked!
The game was not decided by a coin toss. The game was decided because KC could not come up with a stop.

What about the NFC game? Same rules. Was that decided by a coin toss?

The game was not decided by a coin toss. The game was decided because KC could not come up with a stop.
But you can also say the Pats D also sucked for giving up a 2 possession lead & letting the Chiefs get into FG range in < 39 seconds left in reg.

But you can also say the Pats D also sucked for giving up a 2 possession lead & letting the Chiefs get into FG range in < 39 seconds left in reg.
Yes, you can. Not sure how that relates to the subject. But, yes you can.

I don't know about "sucked." I think it's more accurate to say they held the best offense in the NFL in check for as long as they could, then they tired.

It’s not. Statistically your odds of scoring a TD in that situation are pretty low. The onus is on the defense to get a stop.

I didn’t like it when a FG could decide the game because kickers can hit from 55 yards pretty easily these days. No problem with the way the rules are now where it has to be a TD to win it.

Reactions: Coug1990
I don't think games are decided by the coin toss, but there is a significant advantage gained by winning it. I personally don't like the college or the NFL model. Having said that, I also don't really care if a game ends in a tie (regular season) so I'd either play OT at all levels like the 4th quarter, 15 minutes on the clock and play it out. If college doesn't want to play it out, go back to the old days, game ends in a tie. I also get I'm a bit different on this topic.

I don't like the way they handle it in the NFL either. I prefer the college/high school approach to OT.

But... how about this different approach... just for the hell of it. In the '80s, during an A division IMs championship game, we were tied with the Sigma Nu house at the end of the game. To settle it we had four plays to get as many yards as we could. Then they had four plays to get past our original line of scrimmage. Short, sweet, and simple.

I don't think games are decided by the coin toss, but there is a significant advantage gained by winning it. I personally don't like the college or the NFL model. Having said that, I also don't really care if a game ends in a tie (regular season) so I'd either play OT at all levels like the 4th quarter, 15 minutes on the clock and play it out. If college doesn't want to play it out, go back to the old days, game ends in a tie. I also get I'm a bit different on this topic.

I don't like the College model either. They should just revert back to having ties, except in the playoff games of course. NFL? same thing. Or just keep playing from wherever you are when regulation ends until someone scores or the additional 15 minutes expires.

First, agreed, the NFL OT rules really stink and are a blot on the NFL game.

Second, the Chiefs choked on D at the end of the game in almost exactly the same manner against the Chargers when they lost at home late in the season. Two performances like that at the end of the season means they simply were not quite good enough to get to the Super Bowl.

The argument to me isn't about whether KC had a chance to stop the Patriots, and couldnt. The argument is whether KC would have done the same thing to the Patriots had KC won the toss. The play out in the 4th quarter suggests they likely would. In that respect the coin toss likely did determine the winner

I heard an interesting perspective about how the collegiate OT rule wouldn't be a good idea in the NFL, and it's especially true in the playoffs. Having a game potentially go into 5+ OT sessions in professional football, and then having the winner play the following week would be an incredible disadvantage to them. It made me think that maybe the current rule isn't so bad. Manage your time outs at the end of regulation better. KC had the ball with 11 seconds left at the Pats 20, but with no timeouts they chose to kick the tying FG. They could have taken another shot at the endzone. Then, while they did lose the toss, they allowed NE to drive down the field and complete three consecutive 3rd and 9s.

They were the home team. They allowed NE to completely dominate the 1st half, and as a result, it wore out their defense. They didn't touch Brady all game, while Mahommes was under constant pressure throughout. There were some sketchy calls late, but NE certainly put together a game plan deserving of the victory. Hell, if you want to talk about no calls, try watching Gronk run routes downfield. Every play, he has a DB hanging on him like a kid wrestling with their Dad at the park. They could literally call illegal contact on almost every play. It's crazy how dominant he his.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT