ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Grinch

Urban Meyer has a natty and a 73-8 record at tOSU. He's not taking the gas pipe on something an assistant did.

The head coach at Kent State or Ohio University will take the fall.
And actually he has three Natties 2006 & 2008 Florida, and 2014 OSU. All the more reason why he stays as the Ohio State coach if he wants to. And if he doesn't want to stick around, with that kind of resume, he will be hired somewhere moments after the announcement of his departure from Columbus.

C'mon Ed. It differs in every possible way. Sandusky was an employee, ON CAMPUS, molesting a child. Witnessed by another employee.

Penn State and this deal are so different they should not even be mentioned in the same discussion.

In other news, Idaho's AD is still on leave after 4 months while his fate is determined by the State Board of Ed for his alleged poor handling of a 5 year old situation where the athlete in question was (appropriately) kicked off the team.
Loyal...why is it "different". It goes to reporting the behavior. Then the cover-up. If Urban did know why didn't he simply state he knew? If he tells the truth that he knew, that he didn't handle it appropriately I believe he is in a much safer position. But when the initial reaction is to lie, the question has to be asked---why?

Loyal...why is it "different". It goes to reporting the behavior. Then the cover-up. If Urban did know why didn't he simply state he knew? If he tells the truth that he knew, that he didn't handle it appropriately I believe he is in a much safer position. But when the initial reaction is to lie, the question has to be asked---why?

The "cover up" appears to be Meyer lied to the media at B1G media day. There really isn't any story here now except for the fact that Meyer was mean to the media and lied about something that was at least plausibly a confidential personnel matter. tOSU administration knew from at least the AD down.

You've noticed how the narrative has swung from Meyer didn't report, to Meyer had a dirt bag on staff and should have fired Smith a long time ago.

Reactions: etowncoug
The "cover up" appears to be Meyer lied to the media at B1G media day. There really isn't any story here now except for the fact that Meyer was mean to the media and lied about something that was at least plausibly a confidential personnel matter. tOSU administration knew from at least the AD down.

You've noticed how the narrative has swung from Meyer didn't report, to Meyer had a dirt bag on staff and should have fired Smith a long time ago.
Umm the media counts. There is a very simple way to answer the question ... I can’t comment on those personal matters . Will osu fire him? Probably not .

Well said, dgibbons. Provided Urban Meyer isn't lying about reporting this to administration (given his other lies, no guarantee), I don't see how he gets fired. He covered himself. People up the chain of command might be facing the gallows, but Urban did what was required of him.

A cover up would be a bad thing, but there appears to be nothing of that nature here. It depends on what the investigation turns up, but likely the only harm done is to Meyer's reputation.

Umm the media counts. There is a very simple way to answer the question ... I can’t comment on those personal matters . Will osu fire him? Probably not .

It's a bad look to be certain. He went out of his way to attack the press for asking the question.

But I'm also of the opinion the press (especially sports media) isn't concerned about getting the facts. Price and Leach both have been fired as a result of media witch hunts, which turned out to have flat out lies driving the narrative. I don't blame Urban Meyer on bit for flat out lying and daring the media to prove he was in some way connected to this. It backfired, partially. He will have to endure several weeks of bad press. However, early comparisons to Penn St make whatever his sins turn out to be look pretty tame. As a result, he probably survives.

It's a bad look to be certain. He went out of his way to attack the press for asking the question.

But I'm also of the opinion the press (especially sports media) isn't concerned about getting the facts. Price and Leach both have been fired as a result of media witch hunts, which turned out to have flat out lies driving the narrative. I don't blame Urban Meyer on bit for flat out lying and daring the media to prove he was in some way connected to this. It backfired, partially. He will have to endure several weeks of bad press. However, early comparisons to Penn St make whatever his sins turn out to be look pretty tame. As a result, he probably survives.
Price was fired because of a witch hunt? I love Mike Price, but he was fired for two reasons...he was an outsider and he was caught with a stripper. While the details were not clear, he was not where he should have been. Did you ever notice his wingman Casey Dunn has never really been heard from since the morning before the incident happened?

Price was fired because of a witch hunt? I love Mike Price, but he was fired for two reasons...he was an outsider and he was caught with a stripper. While the details were not clear, he was not where he should have been. Did you ever notice his wingman Casey Dunn has never really been heard from since the morning before the incident happened?

Again, media witch hunt. He was fired long before the details were clear. The facts as I remember them were Price got drunk and had a stripper back to his room. Nothing sexual happened. Press reports at the time alleged he was having aggressive sex with the stripper with her yelling "Roll tide" and him yelling "It's rolling, baby". Price sued Sports Illustrated for libel, but (of course) lost. In order to win a libel suit, you have to be able to prove the person knew what they were publishing was false.

Basically, it took an embarrassing story and turned it into such a PR nightmare they needed to fire him as coach. Because of incorrect facts.

Again, media witch hunt. He was fired long before the details were clear. The facts as I remember them were Price got drunk and had a stripper back to his room. Nothing sexual happened. Press reports at the time alleged he was having aggressive sex with the stripper with her yelling "Roll tide" and him yelling "It's rolling, baby". Price sued Sports Illustrated for libel, but (of course) lost. In order to win a libel suit, you have to be able to prove the person knew what they were publishing was false.

Basically, it took an embarrassing story and turned it into such a PR nightmare they needed to fire him as coach. Because of incorrect facts.

Wait....are you actually being serious? The PR nightmare was one of the most storied programs in the country having their coach get hammered and ending up in the room with the stripper. There is a "morals" clause in his contract, which he did not sign, that gives them cause to fire him. So the press had the fine details all wrong. Is that really important?

Not sure if you are married or not, but if you are and go to your significant other and ask if it really makes a difference if a married man is in the room with a stripper and nothing happened. The fine details of what acts happened did not matter. It goes to his judgement.

Ken Greene was asked to leave and there was no witch hunt.

Wait....are you actually being serious? The PR nightmare was one of the most storied programs in the country having their coach get hammered and ending up in the room with the stripper. There is a "morals" clause in his contract, which he did not sign, that gives them cause to fire him. So the press had the fine details all wrong. Is that really important?

Not sure if you are married or not, but if you are and go to your significant other and ask if it really makes a difference if a married man is in the room with a stripper and nothing happened. The fine details of what acts happened did not matter. It goes to his judgement.

Nuance. I'm sure Mrs. Price was quite upset with her husband over his behavior. As she had every right to be. His employer is a different story.

Steve Sarkisian was plastered on camera and wasn't fired by USC. It wasn't until he was showing up to the office drunk for most of the week that he got canned. If the media ran a bunch of fake reports about Sark's behavior that event like peeing in the corner or groping a female at the event, I bet he gets fired almost immediately.

Steve Sarkisian was plastered on camera and wasn't fired by USC. It wasn't until he was showing up to the office drunk for most of the week that he got canned. If the media ran a bunch of fake reports about Sark's behavior that event like peeing in the corner or groping a female at the event, I bet he gets fired almost immediately.
Are you really saying Price should have been retained and it is a fabrication of the media? Hey--- I saw Price's news conference when he was fired and I was hoping there was mercy and he would be retained, but also get that they fire coaches for ending up places they shouldn't be.

Oh I don't know about Kasey Dunn - he is at Oklahoma State.

https://okstate.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1555&path=football

And yeah I would not call the MP thing a witch hunt. Over-interested media maybe, but to me a witch hunt basically means making things up or grossly exaggerating....

Price had not signed a contract when Alabama fired him, so it didn’t matter if that clause was in his contract or not. There of course has been speculation that the stripper thing was a set up. I don’t know one way or the other, but I could see Price walking into a trap like that.

Price had not signed a contract when Alabama fired him, so it didn’t matter if that clause was in his contract or not. There of course has been speculation that the stripper thing was a set up. I don’t know one way or the other, but I could see Price walking into a trap like that.
Price dodged a bullet by getting caught with the stripper. My gut tells me he would have become 'Bama's CPW... instead Mike Shula gets to wear that crown.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
The pictures could be damning for the person that committed the assault. Urban Meyer didn't do that. Why couldn't Urban Meyer rely on a police report that had had been filed? Neither the AD nor the University president are law enforcement personnel. Sure, I guess they could insist that Smith could have been fired, even though no charges were actually brought at that time.

Per ESPN's talking heads this morning, tOSU may disagree with the media's assertion that Meyer was required to report anything under Title IX.

With that logic, Hitler didn’t do what Josef Mengele did at Auschwitz.

Look, Meyer enabled the beat downs. He should have come out and fired the guy. Unfortunately, he allowed her to continue to get beat. Nice job UM!

Having seen snippets of media interviews with Mrs. Smith, I have changed- or at least readjusted- my opinion on this matter. Suspect now strongly that you are right, that she is following the advice of an attorney. Her ex is not apparently the target of the potential lawsuit as he is no longer riding the gravy train. tOSU and Meyer are no doubt in the sight of the lawyer. Will be interesting to see how this develops. A messy situation for sure.

As far as who knew what and failed to report, I, being unaware of the facts and the state's laws regarding this, would rather not speculate.

So, she deserved the beat down? Or it didn’t happen and she’s lying? Which one?

With that logic, Hitler didn’t do what Josef Mengele did at Auschwitz.

Look, Meyer enabled the beat downs. He should have come out and fired the guy. Unfortunately, he allowed her to continue to get beat. Nice job UM!

I think the guy was gonna hit his wife whether he worked at OSU or Home Depot or McDonald’s. Pinning the blame on Meyer for her being hit is unfair. Did he need to report and take action? Yes. Your employer isn’t responsible for your actions or enabling them. All they can do is fire you and call the police.

I think you guys are quibbling over what a witch hunt is. Sports Illustrated was guilty of writing articles for dramatic effect to sell magazines, but I can say with confidence that Sports Illustrated didn't have an agenda against Mike Price with the intent to get him fired at Alabama. Hell, they would have loved having him there because he was willing to play the country bumpkin role on demand. Reading threads like this show how poisonous that Donald Trump is to our society. People now assume that every media article has an underlying agenda and that it's full of half truths geared towards that agenda and any time someone doesn't support an investigation, it's dubbed a witch hunt......even when there is a legitimate reason for the investigation.

Mike Price might have been taken down by a conspiracy against him, but it's his own fault that he was an alcoholic fool with a sh!tty wingman that put him in the position to get fired.

I was messing with Loyal on his definition of witch hunt.

Mike's biggest mistake was not signing his contract with Bama.

Reactions: TSKCoug
I think the guy was gonna hit his wife whether he worked at OSU or Home Depot or McDonald’s. Pinning the blame on Meyer for her being hit is unfair. Did he need to report and take action? Yes. Your employer isn’t responsible for your actions or enabling them. All they can do is fire you and call the police.

Right, they should have fired him in 2015. Instead they enabled him, paid him. The guy needed to be taught a lesson, which starts with the loss of his job. Or suspension as he goes through treatment. Bottom line, the institution should have done something.

Right, they should have fired him in 2015. Instead they enabled him, paid him. The guy needed to be taught a lesson, which starts with the loss of his job. Or suspension as he goes through treatment. Bottom line, the institution should have done something.

I agree. Ultimately though, the person being hit needs to take action and not excuse the behavior. I know it can be hard. You need to take action after the first time. You cant let it continue, escalate or excuse it. There is only so much an employer can do if the person being struck doesnt leave.

I agree. Ultimately though, the person being hit needs to take action and not excuse the behavior. I know it can be hard. You need to take action after the first time. You cant let it continue, escalate or excuse it. There is only so much an employer can do if the person being struck doesnt leave.

We don't know the specifics of the situation in true detail and we don't know what was said, but it is often very, very difficult for a victim of domestic abuse to escape the situation. Human psychology is all sorts of messed up anyway and when you have fear and pain brought into the equation, it's not always as easy as "Leave". What if she felt that he would kill her if she left him? What if her "friends" were telling her to stay because leaving would be worse? What if she felt that nobody believed her and that if she left without "proof", she would suffer from a legal standpoint? Even now, with concrete proof that the guy is a scumbag that beats on women, it's easy enough for an outsider to say that it's her fault for sticking around without knowing what her motivations were.

I say that knowing that her motivations might have been purely financial and she might end up being kind of a crappy person too.

This is where we disagree. He needs to be held accountable by law enforcement. Losing his job is losing your job. Put him behind bars. The university is not law enforcement. They can fire him sure but nothing changes behavior like losing your freedom.

Accountability lies at the feet of the person calling the police or not and law enforcement slapping cutfs on the perp. OSU can fire an employee but thinking that they should be accountable for more than that is over reaching and ludicrous. Urban Meyer is a football coach. How does being a football coach wrap him into accountability for someone else hitting their wife???

Or maybe spending some time in the Graybar Motel, but that didn’t happen.

This is where we disagree. He needs to be held accountable by law enforcement. Losing his job is losing your job. Put him behind bars. The university is not law enforcement. They can fire him sure but nothing changes behavior like losing your freedom.

Accountability lies at the feet of the person calling the police or not and law enforcement slapping cutfs on the perp. OSU can fire an employee but thinking that they should be accountable for more than that is over reaching and ludicrous. Urban Meyer is a football coach. How does being a football coach wrap him into accountability for someone else hitting their wife???

Interesting scenario: Urban Meyer fires Smith for his behavior but doesn't go to police. Would this be better or worse?

I think part of it comes from the fact that Urban Meyer is being paid almost $8 million per year with the expectation that he will run a football program that competes for national championships and doesn't embarrass the university. There's an expectation of performance in a lot of different areas when you are getting paid that kind of bank. And don't bullsh!t yourself, Meyer knew that Smith was an abusive piece of crap who beat on his wife and he kept him around anyway. When you think about it, Meyer keeping Smith would be no different than Leach keeping a player on the team that he knew had a habit of beating up women. Leach would have kicked the guy off the team and Meyer had an obligation to do the same and he didn't.

Right so, people believe Price that nothing happened. Who said so? well Price and a paid stripper and prostitute!. Somehow her word was to be believed or Prices?He was a complete idiot who did not deserve his wife.He blew his chance and for it being a setup,who picked the places he frequented? who was to know he was pursuing his destiny?Somehow to even defend his stupid actions is plain stupidity.Somehow to even equate this incident with domestic abuse is farfetched at best.Let sleeping dogs lie.

You have to call the police.You have to make sure law enforcement knows what is going on.
The "lawyer" semantics of this world. Spin spin spin. I heard Smith go on radio and tell the host that he was asked by Urban if he ever hit his wife. Smith told Urban "I know your policy, if any coach hits their spouse or girlfriend they are gone". The host missed the follow up...did you ever choke her, put your hands on her or any other act of violence.

Smith was probably telling the truth to Urban a the time. He never did hit her. But he could have choked her and that was probably ok.

Kayak, that is probably wise.

Having said that, what is contractually required is often not the same as what is required in the court of public opinion. And for celebrities and those who employ them, the court of public opinion is often just as relevant a judging venue as the legal system. Urban and every other P5 football coach knows that. To not factor that into their decision making process can have severe consequences.

So to update:
Eyewitness says that Courtney was the aggressor, not Zach.
Courtney's mom believes and supports Zach.
And supposedly, the police believe Courtney has a credibility issue.
We shall see how this all comes out.

All on Football Scoop and a proceeding link:

So to update:
Eyewitness says that Courtney was the aggressor, not Zach.
Courtney's mom believes and supports Zach.
And supposedly, the police believe Courtney has a credibility issue.
We shall see how this all comes out.

All on Football Scoop and a proceeding link:

She was so concerned about Zach coaching those impressionable young men that she didn't say a word about the 2015 incident until after her ex-husband was fired....

It will be interesting to see how ESPN pivots. Brett McMuphy was acting like this is personal.

Courtney might be just a bit cray cray.

Zach may have become physical with her, also - but she ain't right in the head.

Sounds like a Love Connection.

Where's Chuck Woolery when you need him?

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
I t
Courtney might be just a bit cray cray.

Zach may have become physical with her, also - but she ain't right in the head.

Sounds like a Love Connection.

Where's Chuck Woolery when you need him?
I think a special episode of Divorce Court with Hon Maury Povich presiding seems more appropriate, or local boy Jerry Springer

"In 2009, Zach Smith, an assistant coach at the University of Florida at the time, was arrested by the Gainesville Police Department after aggravated battery of a pregnant victim. The police report obtained by The Lantern states that Smith, “grabbed the victim by her t-shirt, picked her up and threw her into a bedroom wall.”

Yup, he's a peach. She's certainly the aggressor. Oh, and let's not forget that little precious' mom doesn't believe he EVER committed dv, so yeah, she's a gem too. Apple and tree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT