ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Grinch

Well I don't know exactly what Urban Meyer knew or didn't it's not like HE did it, but then again Briles went down for covering up rape, so who knows where this goes. There's no excuse for this crap though. It shouldn't even be an issue in 2018, but some people are just morons I guess. Look if you don't like your wife. Divorce her, move on. Don't hit her like a coward. And if Urban knew and did nothing or whatever he'll be in trouble. How much who knows.

I just miss the good ole days where the scandal was a coach got caught with his young mistress with a nice pair of tits after he wrecked his motorcycle. Those were the days.

"Anyone who had knowledge". Knowledge of what? That someone said something happened? What if nothing had really happened, and you go "report" the non-incident and the guy gets fired unfairly? Can he sue you for causing it?

And yeah I agree with you gibbons. Those are legal words.

So this woman (my example above is not implying that her story is false) has getting serially abused from 2009 to 2015. All the wives knew. And none of THEM called the cops? Including the abused wife? In 6 years? And she stuck with the guy? WTH? Ever hear of the words lawyer and divorce?

Speaking of duties to report, what state was it in recently (down South I think) where a guy was out in a pond drowning, calling for help and a group of teens on the shore laughed at him and recorded him as he drowned? And they got off scott-free because that state has no law that you have to help someone in trouble. They didn't even tell anyone there was a dead guy out in the pond, took a couple of days to find him.

Reading comprehension helps, especially on this site. "As a public employee..."

That would disqualify 90% of the people you used as examples in your post who don't have a duty to report.

What would prompt her to say something now? What could be her motivation?

I'm not trying to pick on the wife (much), but exactly did you want do have done in 2015? And why bring it up now? What's the point? Doesn't help you any (see pariah, bye bye support above). The Ohio cops were called 9 times over the years but no arrest in any incident. What? What?

Think about that for a second: 9 times and not a single arrest. In the state of WA, if the cops come for a DV, someone is REQUIRED to go to jail. Yet, the cops showed up there and did nothing, ever. Despite the photos that show her having been choked - I'm assuming they would have seen her red marks or bruises. Surely they weren't keeping things on the low because he's a fb coach.... NOOOOOOOO, that NEVER happens.

Certainly other football staff didn't call her and tell her not to press charges - or wait, they did.

Certainly there couldn't have been a feeling of hopelessness since the her entire fcking world was colluding against her and siding with her abuser... nah, that never happens when there is wealth and power involved.

Look, I'm going to give full disclosure here: someone close to me was a victim of dv, and he nearly killed her the last and final time. That man was a piece of human excrement, and so is this woman's husband. Idgaf if those people had a "duty" as public employees or not to report it, they have a duty as human beings to report it, intervene... do something - especially if they know its true (which is appears they did.) Making it even more disgusting is the reason nobody took action (including the police) - to protect a football team. Sound familiar?

Nothing will change. Ohio State cannot afford to fire him Even if they did he would sue them and would win. Is it right? of course not but when one sees how lawyers can twist and change things one sees how impossible our legal system is.

Title IX is about equal access and opportunity in educational programs and activities. Extending it to coaches wives is a pretty big stretch.

A football coach would absolutely be a mandatory reporter, but it depends on what information it can be showed he had. A second- or third-hand mention of abuse isn’t a report, it’s gossip. Even in that event, CYA says pass it along to the campus EEO investigators, but the requirement to do so is much more grey.

That’s what Title IX was about (emphasis on was).

Nothing will change. Ohio State cannot afford to fire him Even if they did he would sue them and would win. Is it right? of course not but when one sees how lawyers can twist and change things one sees how impossible our legal system is.

He just signed a new contract which includes this type of infraction. They will fire him.

Hey, a couple years out of colllege football and he’ll be looking to rebuild his career; probably at some quiet, remote, small town outpost in the middle of nowhere. Hmmmmmmm.

I agree that you have to say something. But ultimately you have no proof that he did it. You only have a complaint. So you speak up and tell the police and hand it over to them. Tell the univeristy admin too. It’s your reaponsibilty to speak up. You are a football coach. You are not an investigator.

If I were the head coach of a Power 5 team tomorrow, in my first starf meeting I am going to be direct about behavior. If you put our overpaid and get rich quick jobs at risk, youre fired. No one is covering up jack squat. We are not going to lose our zillion dollar paychecks hiding someone else’s bad decisions. You not only lose your job as a head coach but everyone gets fired too. Unfair.

Post of the day! Amen.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
One thing to point out- the 2015 incident was reported to the police by the victim. Assuming Meyer knew everything about everything, why does he need to report something to the police that he knows has already been reported to the police?

One thing to point out- the 2015 incident was reported to the police by the victim. Assuming Meyer knew everything about everything, why does he need to report something to the police that he knows has already been reported to the police?

His wife received pictures of the results of the beat down. Those pictures were damning. Urban didn’t inform the AD, or the President of the University. He had a title IX responsibility and failed. Per his contract, he can be fired.

His wife received pictures of the results of the beat down. Those pictures were damning. Urban didn’t inform the AD, or the President of the University. He had a title IX responsibility and failed. Per his contract, he can be fired.

Oh that is messed up. He probably is gone then.

The pictures could be damning for the person that committed the assault. Urban Meyer didn't do that. Why couldn't Urban Meyer rely on a police report that had had been filed? Neither the AD nor the University president are law enforcement personnel. Sure, I guess they could insist that Smith could have been fired, even though no charges were actually brought at that time.

Per ESPN's talking heads this morning, tOSU may disagree with the media's assertion that Meyer was required to report anything under Title IX.

Per ESPN's talking heads this morning, tOSU may disagree with the media's assertion that Meyer was required to report anything under Title IX.

Even if that's the case, the optics of this are very bad vis a vis him denying everything and then being shown to be a liar.

Even if that's the case, the optics of this are very bad vis a vis him denying everything and then being shown to be a liar.

Of course. But, without a violation of the law there is no basis to terminate his contract for cause. That was the media buzz yesterday. Brett McMurphy flat out said yesterday that he thought Meyer would be terminated for cause for violating Title IX and the about the mountains of evidence he had.

And it has to be said that lots of coaches flat out lie to the media about all kinds of stuff all the time. Leach lies every time he's asked about an injury.

How about the policy is that if the victim reports the crime to university employee, the university employee is supposed to tell the victim to report the crime to the police? In other words, the university's policy is that victims of crime resort to law enforcement and the not the university.

Yes indeed. Law enforcement should be the ones dealing with the crime.

But, when a FELONY is alleged to have been committed by an employee of the university, that university can't ignore that, either. And THAT is what I was referring to, not the victim, but what happens to the "alleged perpetrator" of that felony? Just narrowing the focus of the particular discussion a bit.

I'm not at all calling for witch hunts and railroading of individuals based on any "he said/she said" basis. We all have probably read of accusations made that prove to be false. Though, domestic violence is a crime that is known to be vastly more under-reported than falsely accused. The whole dynamic of spousal/domestic violence/abuse is a tangled web that can boggle the mind. I won't even get into that aspect. I'm in no way an expert, though I have had course-work involving the subject and I'm in one of those professions where "reporting is mandatory" for suspected abuse.

But, these days, I have to think most large entities (businesses, corporations, universities, etc, etc) have to have some mechanism for dealing with one of their employees being accused of a felony charge?

Do they immediately suspend that individual and await the outcome of an investigation? Do they wait for a preliminary investigation, to determine the possible validity of the accusations? Do they wait for actual charges to be filed?

It just SEEMS to me that these days, people are "suspended pending results of an investigation" quite often. At least in cases involving serious felony type accusations?? The university shouldn't be making those decisions "on the fly", as things come up. They should have a policy in place before the fact.

And, yeah, there are lots of hypotheticals that can make any situation even more complicated. We live in an imperfect world and our systems reflect that fact.

Of course. But, without a violation of the law there is no basis to terminate his contract for cause. That was the media buzz yesterday. Brett McMurphy flat out said yesterday that he thought Meyer would be terminated for cause for violating Title IX and the about the mountains of evidence he had.

And it has to be said that lots of coaches flat out lie to the media about all kinds of stuff all the time. Leach lies every time he's asked about an injury.

Whether or not they terminate him with cause, ie they have to pay him out, I don't think the optics of this will allow tOSU to continue to employ him and unfortunately they'll be on the hook for his contract. I've been wrong before, though.

It shouldnt even be up to the head coach. He coaches football. His wife should call the police and then it is an issue for the university admin. Whether the head coach knows or doesnt know shouldnt matter. You beat your wife and the President fires you. End of discussion. Football coaches are exactly that, football coaches. Why they are given so much say in handling punishment is assinine.
How does that differ from the Penn State situation ?

How does that differ from the Penn State situation ?

C'mon Ed. It differs in every possible way. Sandusky was an employee, ON CAMPUS, molesting a child. Witnessed by another employee.

Penn State and this deal are so different they should not even be mentioned in the same discussion.

In other news, Idaho's AD is still on leave after 4 months while his fate is determined by the State Board of Ed for his alleged poor handling of a 5 year old situation where the athlete in question was (appropriately) kicked off the team.

I presume all these coaches have some kind of standard of conduction clause in their contracts. If someone alerted Urban to this and Urban swept it under the rug, then this is a problem. I think the duration of time is the key here. The abuse took apart in 2015 and Myer didn't can him until a few weeks ago. Ohio State has been arguably reviewing this thoroughly.

I would expect that Meyer issues a resignation along the lines of he's innocent of any wrong-doing, always does what's best to protect anyone around the program, etc. He's resigning as he's doing what's best for the student athletes and this program at this time. Urban makes comments that this team doesn't need any off the field distractions surrounding their coach.

I presume all these coaches have some kind of standard of conduction clause in their contracts. If someone alerted Urban to this and Urban swept it under the rug, then this is a problem. I think the duration of time is the key here. The abuse took apart in 2015 and Myer didn't can him until a few weeks ago. Ohio State has been arguably reviewing this thoroughly.

I would expect that Meyer issues a resignation along the lines of he's innocent of any wrong-doing, always does what's best to protect anyone around the program, etc. He's resigning as he's doing what's best for the student athletes and this program at this time. Urban makes comments that this team doesn't need any off the field distractions surrounding their coach.

No resignation without getting all or most of the money guarantied in his contract. Sounds like he's due $38 million.

C'mon Ed. It differs in every possible way. Sandusky was an employee, ON CAMPUS, molesting a child. Witnessed by another employee.

Penn State and this deal are so different they should not even be mentioned in the same discussion.

In other news, Idaho's AD is still on leave after 4 months while his fate is determined by the State Board of Ed for his alleged poor handling of a 5 year old situation where the athlete in question was (appropriately) kicked off the team.

Loyal, you are right and you are wrong. You are right in that there are certainly differences with Sandusky...use of allocated Univ office space is one thing that comes to mind...and of course we are talking about minors in Sandusky's case. I don't think that was the case with Urban's assistant.

But...you are wrong if you view this through a 1980's periscope. Sexual misconduct and violence against women have elevated over the past few years to being treated with the seriousness that you would have treated it if it were your sister or daughter and you caught the ba**erd out back of the bar in yesteryear. Only now it is public and judicial system, not private beatings and (seriously intended) death threats. If in fact Meyer knew and did nothing, in today's environment it amounts to having condoned the action. We can b*tch and moan all we want about that, but it is reality. About half of my customers are Hollywood related, and I can tell you from first hand experience that the pendulum is swinging hard back in the other direction compared to a decade or two ago. Meyer's very prominence guarantees that he will be burned for that just as badly as the long list of other celebrities...and yes, he is a celebrity, and with that comes exposure and lack of protection, just like in Hollywood, or the USC administration (check that out; what a meltdown) or network news or politics or any other "celebrity" position. In the old days that would have come with some asbestos underwear. Today, the flame thrower hits the exposed celebrity full on. In many of those respects, Sandusky is not a terrible comparison. Top PSU administrators knew about the situation and did very little. At this point it appears that Urban buddy did the same.

Sure, I take Biggs point that it is a police matter, and I even mostly agree. But nobody reported it to the police, and today that makes them complicit. If your neighbor's wife was getting beat up and she came to you for help and you turned her away....then the next day she was in the emergency room....don't tell me that you would not be complicit in some way. And at tOSU, public perception is reality. It has taken USC 3 years to figure out that all the politically protected molesters in their Univ & Medical Center admin positions have put them in a vulnerable position. They had a very public defenestration of one of the officials earlier this year...and the front page story in the LA Times last week discussed why that poor excuse for a human is still IN THE JOB, after having publicly being fired months ago. The press won't drop this. tOSU may choose to obfuscate & try to distract people...but ultimately it will work out for them the same way that it is working out for USC. USC is getting murdered in the court of public opinion, and they can't find a way to stop the blood loss. Unless they are morons, tOSU will learn from their experience.

Loyal, you are right and you are wrong. You are right in that there are certainly differences with Sandusky...use of allocated Univ office space is one thing that comes to mind...and of course we are talking about minors in Sandusky's case. I don't think that was the case with Urban's assistant.

But...you are wrong if you view this through a 1980's periscope. Sexual misconduct and violence against women have elevated over the past few years to being treated with the seriousness that you would have treated it if it were your sister or daughter and you caught the ba**erd out back of the bar in yesteryear. Only now it is public and judicial system, not private beatings and (seriously intended) death threats. If in fact Meyer knew and did nothing, in today's environment it amounts to having condoned the action. We can b*tch and moan all we want about that, but it is reality. About half of my customers are Hollywood related, and I can tell you from first hand experience that the pendulum is swinging hard back in the other direction compared to a decade or two ago. Meyer's very prominence guarantees that he will be burned for that just as badly as the long list of other celebrities...and yes, he is a celebrity, and with that comes exposure and lack of protection, just like in Hollywood, or the USC administration (check that out; what a meltdown) or network news or politics or any other "celebrity" position. In the old days that would have come with some asbestos underwear. Today, the flame thrower hits the exposed celebrity full on. In many of those respects, Sandusky is not a terrible comparison. Top PSU administrators knew about the situation and did very little. At this point it appears that Urban buddy did the same.

Sure, I take Biggs point that it is a police matter, and I even mostly agree. But nobody reported it to the police, and today that makes them complicit. If your neighbor's wife was getting beat up and she came to you for help and you turned her away....then the next day she was in the emergency room....don't tell me that you would not be complicit in some way. And at tOSU, public perception is reality. It has taken USC 3 years to figure out that all the politically protected molesters in their Univ & Medical Center admin positions have put them in a vulnerable position. They had a very public defenestration of one of the officials earlier this year...and the front page story in the LA Times last week discussed why that poor excuse for a human is still IN THE JOB, after having publicly being fired months ago. The press won't drop this. tOSU may choose to obfuscate & try to distract people...but ultimately it will work out for them the same way that it is working out for USC. USC is getting murdered in the court of public opinion, and they can't find a way to stop the blood loss. Unless they are morons, tOSU will learn from their experience.

Good discussion. But this whole thing seems weird. I just read yet another article on it. In the main 2015 incident:

Courtney Smith separated from him in 2015 after eight years of marriage, hoping it would end the abuse, but it didn't, she said. In the 2015 incident, Zach Smith came to her house wanting to take their son, but it wasn't his parenting night. She told him no, she recalled.
"When I stood up to him, he didn't like it. He took me and shoved me up against the wall with his hands around my neck -- something he did very often. My daughter was clinging to my leg," she told Stadium. She called police after he left with their son, but Zach Smith was never charged, she said. "I don't know what happened," she added.

It sounds as if the "pictures" (I saw them elsewhere and they are certainly damning) are from another incident. If it is the same incident as above, how was he not arrested? What? What?

In 2015, I came forward with it. I told Shelley. I sent her some pictures. I spoke to her on the phone," Courtney Smith told Stadium.

And if Urban did know:
Urban Meyer would ask her questions -- How are you doing? Is everything OK? -- that led her to believe the coach's wife had conveyed the allegations. then this was apparently after she was separated/divorced. So what did she want then? Why not go public then?

The reported other incidents between 2015 and 2018 appear to be pretty much harassing or stalking (she thought someone was following her in one report). The guy says the police will back his version once they get in court. The incident that got him fired? He pulled into her driveway when transferring kids, and he was not supposed to pull into her driveway. So he was arrested. How does that get him arrested but beating her up when separated doesn't? What? What?

So my final analysis on this: No question she was an abused spouse, and her ex-husband was a horrible human being. Which leads us back to the question of what do we do with people like that - kill them? If he deserved to be fired last month, then he clearly deserves to never hold a job again, anywhere. Right? We've had this discussion before regarding other people. I don't have an answer for that.

Anyway, my analysis is that she did not want him fired because of the financial angle. Even after the divorce - she needed/wanted the child support and whatever else you get on Ohio. Nowhere do I read that she wanted him fired after his arrest last month, but he did get fired. Well, that changed everything. Now she goes public, because she wants money from OSU. As another poster (gibby?) said earlier in the thread.

And nowhere am I trying to villianize the woman. She's doing what she thinks she needs to do for herself and kids. And did all along. But that doesn't make Urban the bad guy. Nowhere do we read that the wife wanted action taken in 2015. Or last month. So what exactly did Urban do wrong?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/02/us/u...versity-assistant-zach-smith-abuse/index.html

Good discussion. But this whole thing seems weird. I just read yet another article on it. In the main 2015 incident:

And nowhere am I trying to villianize the woman. She's doing what she thinks she needs to do for herself and kids. And did all along. But that doesn't make Urban the bad guy. Nowhere do we read that the wife wanted action taken in 2015. Or last month. So what exactly did Urban do wrong?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/02/us/u...versity-assistant-zach-smith-abuse/index.html
What he did wrong is that he did nothing. If he knew this was going on, he had an obligation to report it within the university system, regardless of whether the wife wanted action taken. Or at least, that's the way it's portrayed.

The question I have not been able to answer, based on the articles I've seen, is if there was a clear and true obligation to report. I don't believe an obligation exists under Title IX, unless the wife was also a student. If any of the assaults took place on campus property, then there could be some duty to report. And I don't know Ohio employment law, whether a supervisor is obligated to report an employee's legal issues.

Right now, it seems like his great sin may be that he didn't "see something, say something."

What he did wrong is that he did nothing. If he knew this was going on, he had an obligation to report it within the university system, regardless of whether the wife wanted action taken. Or at least, that's the way it's portrayed.

The question I have not been able to answer, based on the articles I've seen, is if there was a clear and true obligation to report. I don't believe an obligation exists under Title IX, unless the wife was also a student. If any of the assaults took place on campus property, then there could be some duty to report. And I don't know Ohio employment law, whether a supervisor is obligated to report an employee's legal issues.

Right now, it seems like his great sin may be that he didn't "see something, say something."

And why the hell should he think he needed to report it within the University system when the cops were involved? If the cops didn't think crimes were committed who is OSU to decide otherwise? I know, I know, Title IX, etc. But think about it. You get investigated (not arrested in 2015, apparently) for something by the cops. Someone hears about it and tells your boss, who tells his boss or HR or whoever. The cops decide it is not worthy of even an arrest. But your employer, with no evidence, decides otherwise and fires you? Is that right or fair?

And why the hell should he think he needed to report it within the University system when the cops were involved? If the cops didn't think crimes were committed who is OSU to decide otherwise? I know, I know, Title IX, etc. But think about it. You get investigated (not arrested in 2015, apparently) for something by the cops. Someone hears about it and tells your boss, who tells his boss or HR or whoever. The cops decide it is not worthy of even an arrest. But your employer, with no evidence, decides otherwise and fires you? Is that right or fair?
Yes, that about sums it up. Same applies to students.

The more probable reason why he wasn’t arrested earlier was because the wife told the police she didn’t want to press charges.

The more probable reason why he wasn’t arrested earlier was because the wife told the police she didn’t want to press charges.

So Urban deserves to be fired because he didn't go to the OSU Admin and do exactly what the wife didn't want - get hubby fired.

Or take it on himself to do exactly what she didn't want - fire hubby himself.

This is so f-ed up on so many levels. Now I see we have a blue ribbon panel to investigate something that should take about one day. See below.

You know, if I was Urban I think I would come out publicly, call BS on all of this, and demand to be reinstated or fired immediately. And lawyer up big time. The coach should have been arrested and convicted. Multiple times apparently. The wife should have divorced him back in 2009. She did in 2015. Her biggest talking point is that "all the wives knew?". Well where the hell were all of them all these years? And WTF did Urban Meyer do wrong in the last 9 years?

The group will comprise three current members of the board of trustees (Alex Fischer, Janet Porter and Alex Shumate), as well as three people not associated with the university (former Ohio House Speaker Jo Ann Davidson, former acting U.S. Deputy Attorney General Craig Morford and former U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio Carter Stewart). It will direct the investigation, which is being conducted by the university's office of compliance and integrity.

So Urban deserves to be fired because he didn't go to the OSU Admin and do exactly what the wife didn't want - get hubby fired.

This is so f-ed up on so many levels. Now I see we have a blue ribbon panel to investigate something that should take about one day. See below.

You know, if I was Urban I think I would come out publicly, call BS on all of this, and demand to be reinstated or fired immediately. And lawyer up big time. The coach should have been arrested and convicted. Multiple times apparently. The wife should have divorced him back in 2009. She did in 2015. Her biggest talking point is that "all the wives knew?". Well where the hell were all of them all these years? And WTF did Urban Meyer do wrong in the last 9 years?

The group will comprise three current members of the board of trustees (Alex Fischer, Janet Porter and Alex Shumate), as well as three people not associated with the university (former Ohio House Speaker Jo Ann Davidson, former acting U.S. Deputy Attorney General Craig Morford and former U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio Carter Stewart). It will direct the investigation, which is being conducted by the university's office of compliance and integrity.

The problem for Urban is that it's starting to sound like he just might be kind of a domineering a-hole and that it's possible that he used his position to keep things quiet "For the good of the program". He had a contractual obligation to report the abuse and didn't. One of my co-workers said that his mental health breakdown that led to his leaving Florida was actually him leaving quietly after knocking up a cheerleader. Urban Meyer's wife knew about the abuse and what are the odds that she kept it from him? In a lot of ways, it's starting to look like things are boiling up against a guy who's public persona masked a far darker person.

The problem for Urban is that it's starting to sound like he just might be kind of a domineering a-hole and that it's possible that he used his position to keep things quiet "For the good of the program". He had a contractual obligation to report the abuse and didn't. One of my co-workers said that his mental health breakdown that led to his leaving Florida was actually him leaving quietly after knocking up a cheerleader. Urban Meyer's wife knew about the abuse and what are the odds that she kept it from him? In a lot of ways, it's starting to look like things are boiling up against a guy who's public persona masked a far darker person.

There have been rumors that Urban had relationships with his QBs too.

If he knew, he had a duty to report it to the university. Check section IV.D.2 in below link. If he knew, didn't report it and then also lied about not knowing it, things aren't looking up for him.

https://hr.osu.edu/wp-content/uploads/policy115.pdf

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
If he knew, he had a duty to report it to the university. Check section IV.D.2 in below link. If he knew, didn't report it and then also lied about not knowing it, things aren't looking up for him.

https://hr.osu.edu/wp-content/uploads/policy115.pdf

His wife is also on faculty at tOSU, so the same standard applies to her, and she actually received the direct texts and photos from the victim.

This isn't going to end well for the Meyer's.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
His wife is also on faculty at tOSU, so the same standard applies to her, and she actually received the direct texts and photos from the victim.

This isn't going to end well for the Meyer's.

It won’t end well. He’s done IMO. Grinch should also start working his contacts. The new coach will want his own coordinators.

Maybe, but he's safe this year.
Doubt it.

Didn’t know his wife was faculty. Since it’s already known she was informed, and she didn’t pass it along, she’s done. He’ll resign in protest/solidarity...knowing that he’s probably next. It’s pretty difficult to believe that his wife didn’t tell him about it. Also tough to swallow that he didn’t know about the various police contacts, or should have known.

This should go bigger too. With the police contacts, someone in the athletic department “should have known” too.

What’s going to get them is “The university community seeks to eliminate sexual misconduct through education and by encouraging everyone to report concerns or complaints, including third parties when the accused is a member of the university community.”

And

“The university has a compelling obligation to address allegations and suspected instances of sexual misconduct when it knows or should have known information that would lead a reasonable person to believe that this policy has been violated.”

Doubt it.

Didn’t know his wife was faculty. Since it’s already known she was informed, and she didn’t pass it along, she’s done. He’ll resign in protest/solidarity...knowing that he’s probably next. It’s pretty difficult to believe that his wife didn’t tell him about it. Also tough to swallow that he didn’t know about the various police contacts, or should have known.

This should go bigger too. With the police contacts, someone in the athletic department “should have known” too.

What’s going to get them is “The university community seeks to eliminate sexual misconduct through education and by encouraging everyone to report concerns or complaints, including third parties when the accused is a member of the university community.”

And

“The university has a compelling obligation to address allegations and suspected instances of sexual misconduct when it knows or should have known information that would lead a reasonable person to believe that this policy has been violated.”

I was saying that Grinch is safe for this year. This all happened before he joined the staff, and they'll need to keep some coaches on staff through the season.

I was saying that Grinch is safe for this year. This all happened before he joined the staff, and they'll need to keep some coaches on staff through the season.

Agree 100%. They will likely run with an interim coach through the end of the season with most of the assistants staying until the next coach is hired......or they find a better opportunity

This isn't directed at your, more for the good of the order during the dog days of summer.

Do you think she's doing these interviews now, out of the goodness of her heart? Or do you think maybe she's interested in a settlement from Meyer and/or tOSU? Remember, the context of all this is that she apparently stuck with this guy for years of abuse. Her former husband has been fired from his high-paying job. Where is the child support and spousal support going to come from?

Separate the wife beating from what others are legally required to do if they become aware of it. No one is defending the wife beater. From what I'm gathering he was fired in July 2018. Charges were brought against him in May of 2018 (these charges apparently arise from some criminal trespass incident, it sounds like this is something different than the 2015 assault). The incident occurred in 2015.

For the sake of discussion, let's say the former Mrs. Smith's father, mother, sister or brother is a state employee in a state where they were legally required to report the abuse, but did not. What are your feelings about that?

Having seen snippets of media interviews with Mrs. Smith, I have changed- or at least readjusted- my opinion on this matter. Suspect now strongly that you are right, that she is following the advice of an attorney. Her ex is not apparently the target of the potential lawsuit as he is no longer riding the gravy train. tOSU and Meyer are no doubt in the sight of the lawyer. Will be interesting to see how this develops. A messy situation for sure.

As far as who knew what and failed to report, I, being unaware of the facts and the state's laws regarding this, would rather not speculate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT