ADVERTISEMENT

Am I the only cynic that feels like the Pac-12 might botch this expansion strategy....

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
....I would have presumed we'd have like 8 schools lined up prior to making the we are recreating the conference pitch. Although it sounds like UNLV and Utah State are ready to jump.

Botched in the sense of being irredeemably screwed (like not being able to get 8 at least arguably reasonable programs)? I doubt it.

Disappointing relative to what seemed not just possible, but likely, a few days ago? Yeah, especially if you were on board with going with a national conference that might grow into a legitimate P5 conference someday, although my feelings were mixed on that in various ways.

Really disappointing if we somehow don't get UNLV and instead pay a lot of money to get Utah State? Yes.

Botched in the sense of being irredeemably screwed (like not being able to get 8 at least arguably reasonable programs)? I doubt it.

Disappointing relative to what seemed not just possible, but likely, a few days ago? Yeah, especially if you were on board with going with a national conference that might grow into a legitimate P5 conference someday, although my feelings were mixed on that in various ways.

Really disappointing if we somehow don't get UNLV and instead pay a lot of money to get Utah State? Yes.
being stated that Utah State has some big donors stepping up to help finance the transition to Pac-12....

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
You prove my point. UNLV is staying in the MWC. UNLV to the Pac-12 should have been tee'd up.
I disagree. The P12 was always better off skimming the top of the MWC. They just lost Boise, SDSU, Fresno, Colorado State and Utah State. No matter who we add as the 8th team, we’re assured of having the best West Coast conference.

It’s much better that we hold pat at 8 programs. We have flexibility now. An eventual East/West merger with the AAC seems inevitable.

Reactions: kougkurt

Jim Williams, and lots of sources, have said, reported that PAC 6 has offered official invites to Memphis, Tulane, USF, UTSA, and that those colleges are mulling, deciding if they want to accept the offer, invite, join PAC, etc.

It's also been reported that USF is probably not interested, that Memphis is 50/50 interested, not interested, is taking its time to wait and see if joining PAC worthwhile, and to see if ACC, will fall apart, invite them to join ACC soon. Tulane is interested, and might semi probably join PAC, but is just double checking to see that Joining PAC is worth it. UTSA is very interested, and probably join PAC, very soon.

PAC 6, will probably invite UNLV, if Memphis an or Tulane say no to PAC 6.

If Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, joins PAC 6, the PAC 6 might or might not target UNLV.

IF UNLV, attaches itself to Nevada, then even if PAC 6 would invite UNLV, PAC 6 rightfully won't take UNLV, IF IF UNLV attached to Nevada, and IF IF PAC 6 had to take Nevada the BOTTOM DWELLER, to get UNLV.

If UNLV wants to join PAC 6, they need to not only not attach to Nevada, but make clear to PAC 6, that they not attached to Nevada.

As good as UNLV is, UNLV is not worth taking Nevada, and UNLV, is not as good as Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, Cal(might join PAC if ACC falls apart), SMU(Might join PAC if ACC falls apart).

Jim Williams, and lots of sources, have said, reported that PAC 6 has offered official invites to Memphis, Tulane, USF, UTSA, and that those colleges are mulling, deciding if they want to accept the offer, invite, join PAC, etc.

It's also been reported that USF is probably not interested, that Memphis is 50/50 interested, not interested, is taking its time to wait and see if joining PAC worthwhile, and to see if ACC, will fall apart, invite them to join ACC soon. Tulane is interested, and might semi probably join PAC, but is just double checking to see that Joining PAC is worth it. UTSA is very interested, and probably join PAC, very soon.

PAC 6, will probably invite UNLV, if Memphis an or Tulane say no to PAC 6.

If Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, joins PAC 6, the PAC 6 might or might not target UNLV.

IF UNLV, attaches itself to Nevada, then even if PAC 6 would invite UNLV, PAC 6 rightfully won't take UNLV, IF IF UNLV attached to Nevada, and IF IF PAC 6 had to take Nevada the BOTTOM DWELLER, to get UNLV.

If UNLV wants to join PAC 6, they need to not only not attach to Nevada, but make clear to PAC 6, that they not attached to Nevada.

As good as UNLV is, UNLV is not worth taking Nevada, and UNLV, is not as good as Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, Cal(might join PAC if ACC falls apart), SMU(Might join PAC if ACC falls apart).
Geezus Mik, you are about 8 hours behind.

Reactions: MikeFingLeach
I disagree. The P12 was always better off skimming the top of the MWC. They just lost Boise, SDSU, Fresno, Colorado State and Utah State. No matter who we add as the 8th team, we’re assured of having the best West Coast conference.

It’s much better that we hold pat at 8 programs. We have flexibility now. An eventual East/West merger with the AAC seems inevitable.

Jim Williams said that invites have been made to Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, USF.

Only rumor, innuendo, etc, has said that Utah St join PAC 6.

It's Utah State in now is the rumor. Memphis, Tulane, UTSA and USF have declined. Spot for one more in football.

It's Utah State in now is the rumor. Memphis, Tulane, UTSA and USF have declined. Spot for one more in football.

That's just rumor, and it, that contradicts what Jim Williams, others have reported.

Memphis is 50/50 interested, not interested, and is playing the wait and see game, to see if ACC falls apart soon, and invites them soon. If that takes too long, Memphis will probably join PAC 6. But for now, Memphis is temporarily declining with the caveat, that they might probably join later, depending on what happens.

Tulane is interested, but double checking to see if it worth joining PAC. Tulane semi might semi probably join PAC 6, in a few days, few weeks, few months.

UTSA is very interested in joining PAC 6, and is expected to join PAC 6 in a few days, 1,2 weeks.

USF has flat out said that they are not interested, and won't be interested in future.

PAC 6 might or might not take UNLV depending on if UNLV attached to Nevada, and depending on how this sorts out.

PAC 6 is not going to take Utah St, UNLESS Memphis, Tulane, UTSA clearly say permanent no, AND if Cal, SMU say a clear, permanent no, even if ACC falls, apart, AND if UNLV either say no, or if PAC 6 say no to UNLV, if UNLV attached to Nevada, AND if Texas St, says no to PAC 6.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
I believe the money was too steep for Memphis, Tulane, and USF to exit the AAC unless the Pac12 was willing to pay it and I read we only offered partial payment. How much that would be, IDK but SMU paid $25MIL to early exit.

The local Las Vegas newspaper had already reported UNLV to stay in the MWC. Now this:

Ok that's the first reported source that I have seen about Utah St joining PAC 6. All I have seen is rumors of that.

Guess that means that PAC 6, is not going to wait for Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, Cal, SMU to play the WAIT AND SEE game.

Also guess that means that the PAC 6 targeted Utah St to try to get UNLV.

And I guess that means that UNLV is not attached to Nevada anymore, and that UNLV going to join PAC 6 soon.

So guess that means the PAC 8 will be BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV, Utah St, CSU, WSU, OSU.

And that PAC 8 will probably try to get UTSA, Texas St, Memphis, Tulane, Cal, SMU later far off into the future.

Ok that's the first reported source that I have seen about Utah St joining PAC 6. All I have seen is rumors of that.

Guess that means that PAC 6, is not going to wait for Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, Cal, SMU to play the WAIT AND SEE game.

Also guess that means that the PAC 6 targeted Utah St to try to get UNLV.

And I guess that means that UNLV is not attached to Nevada anymore, and that UNLV going to join PAC 6 soon.

So guess that means the PAC 8 will be BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV, Utah St, CSU, WSU, OSU.

And that PAC 8 will probably try to get UTSA, Texas St, Memphis, Tulane, Cal, SMU later far off into the future.
We aren't there yet. The latest ESPN news said that UNLV has reopened discussions with the Pac12. Hopefully we know soon.

You prove my point. UNLV is staying in the MWC. UNLV to the Pac-12 should have been tee'd up.
Past performance is no guarantee of future results - but the Pac 12 has killed themselves in the foot on more than one occasion.

So, yeah. They’ll mess it up somehow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT