ADVERTISEMENT

An optimistic view of the interior d-line...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
has it looking like this for the 2018 season:
Lolohea 6-3, 310 Jr./Tapa 6-2, 315 Sr./Mattox 6-3 290 rs-JR/ Echevarria 6-2 300 rs-fr/Crowder 6-3, 290 Fr.
Hobbs 6-6, 280 rs-Fr/Begg 6-5 275 Sr./Fernandez 6-2, 280 Sr./Comfort 6-0 285 Sr.

Misiona Aiolupotea-Pei, a JC transfer, is a wild card. The coaches have compared his explosiveness to Mata'afa's. Having watched his tapes, I understand why. With him, Mattox, Tapa, Echevarria, and Crowder, the overall numbers are better than a year ago. As seniors, Begg, Fernandez, and Comfort need to step up. Their summer conditioning (May-August) is critical.

That is why i wondered when a poster said that the D line would be smaller than last year. It looks like they may be bigger than last year.

Where has there been anything out of the WSU athletic department that indicates Tapa will be part of the program in the fall of 2018? I understand he was in the student directory for the fall semester of 2017.

But the real question is how on earth will we have anyone better then Laurenzi. You know the great laurenzi!!!

Where has there been anything out of the WSU athletic department that indicates Tapa will be part of the program in the fall of 2018? I understand he was in the student directory for the fall semester of 2017.

It's conjecture at this point. The directory lists him this year. The same directory does not list Tavares Martin Jr. or Isaiah Johnson-Mack. No one else has been given Tapa's jersey number (95). However, until his academic standing is restored, he won't officially be with the program, just as Leon Bender was out of the program - and WSU - in 1995. At least Tapa is still in school. If it turns out he's not with the program in August when practice resumes, the staff has been lining up replacements. Speaking of which, I have a hunch Will Rodgers will be moved inside at some point. He's 6-5, 255 pounds now, having gained about 30 pounds since last season. Leon Bender was once a 255-pound d-end.

No one knows anything about this. You, me, the athletic department and, for that matter, Tapa himself. All we know to be factual is that he is still trying to qualify academically. Considering his academic year one can reasonably deduce that he was slightly below the qualifying line and within shot of regaining academic approval. This is assuming that he did not totally blow off a semester resulting in a flurry of flunking grades. If, as I suspect, he is slightly below the line then a couple of decent reports to include some Bs or even an A, although that seems unlikely, would push him back into qualifying territory. As I mentioned, no one knows how this will result at this time, not even Tapa. The program would look foolish to put him back on the team at this point even if he were O.K. while knowing that another bad semester would boot him off again.

A question: Does anyone know if Tapa still has access to the tutoring available to the athletes? I doubt it but would like to know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT