ADVERTISEMENT

Any sense on whether Scott makes it past this weekend?

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
It feels to me that the AD's and their Presidents together is an opportunity to effect change.

It also feels like enough behind the scenes work could have been done by the collective AD's to get him out or force change.

It feels to me that the AD's and their Presidents together is an opportunity to effect change.

It also feels like enough behind the scenes work could have been done by the collective AD's to get him out or force change.

There is a good article from Wilner (note sure the link below will work). Basically, CU's President DiStefano became the Chairman of the Pac-12 board, formed some subcommittees, is reigning Larry in and the ADs are more involved.

Larry may have a chance to prove himself a changed man, but the days of telling the ADs to eat cake are over. The new "culture" is that Scott and the Pac-12 staff work for the universities. It's not Larry's kingdom. Edit to add- a few interesting lines from DiStefano in there (one was when asked about Larry's future he basically said "he has a contract").

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/03...icy-the-inside-story-of-a-pac-12-power-shift/

Last edited:
One of the comments on this article, with no confirmation on my part... The new ACC network, in partnership with ESPN, was picked up quickly by Directv...

One of the comments on this article, with no confirmation on my part... The new ACC network, in partnership with ESPN, was picked up quickly by Directv...

Yeah, that was the tradeoff of not partnering with ESPN, we would not have their negotiating power with DTV.

Yeah, that was the tradeoff of not partnering with ESPN, we would not have their negotiating power with DTV.

That was a big tradeoff. There were others, too, such as getting better coverage on "big" ESPN or other ESPN networks, avoiding massive startup and ongoing operations costs, getting tens of millions of more dollars in the door immediately and for 13 years between establishment of the Pac-12 and when/if Larry finally gets a better deal in 2024, and getting better cross-promotion on other ESPN properties. Those are the others I can think of off the top of my head. Of course, doing that wouldn't allow Larry to claim he's running a media empire in the same way he does now, justifying--to him, at least--his crazy comp and lavish perks.

That was a big tradeoff. There were others, too, such as getting better coverage on "big" ESPN or other ESPN networks, avoiding massive startup and ongoing operations costs, getting tens of millions of more dollars in the door immediately and for 13 years between establishment of the Pac-12 and when/if Larry finally gets a better deal in 2024, and getting better cross-promotion on other ESPN properties. Those are the others I can think of off the top of my head. Of course, doing that wouldn't allow Larry to claim he's running a media empire in the same way he does now, justifying--to him, at least--his crazy comp and lavish perks.
ESPN was smart, too. Make no mistake, there is massive leverage now. They now have an example for all other potential networks. "Look and see what happens when you don't partner with us." We inadvertently made the giant bigger and more powerful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT