ADVERTISEMENT

Are you starting to understand why TT got tired of Leach?

I hope that Leach is in Pullman for another 5 years. I did not like the effort in the AC,but the cougs had an excellent season. Leach has done a great job here.I also like Grinch and hope his crew is back for another season. i d like to see a couple of D line recruits as well as a different MLB. He just seems to lack the quickness one wants at that position.If the cougs win their bowl all the fans should celebrate this season at that time.I think that Cracraft s loss hurt the cougs chances as he was able to get open when the D concentrated on Marks.

Apparently Leach didn't knock off #1 Texas in 2008, giving Texas their only loss that year, or play in the Cotton Bowl. He also didn't get the team as high as #10 and play in the Cotton Bowl in 2005. He wasn't a missed FG from playing in the Pac-12 championship last year, either, or playing for a spot in it this past week, either. I'm sure we could bring in a lot of guys who would recruit better and step things up to win the Pac-12 every year, right? Just silly.

If that's the case that's the definition of delusional.

Don't get me wrong I hate losing to huskies as all cougs do, but they have always had an embarrassment of riches and always brought mediocrity out with it. Finally they have a good coach, and well they are a good team as much as I hate to say it/see it.

We on the other hand are a program that is building towards a great program.

According to the filings by the athletic department

We spend about 16.6 million dollars on football / year.

or about 2.075 million per win (8 wins) during season play.

UW spends about 29.1 million dollars on football / year
or about 2.91 million per win (10 wins) during season play.

So we actually are definitely doing more with less and as long as we keep building we'll be just fine in the future.

Not only that, but I believe we have higher expenses than most schools (travel costs more to/from Pullman, and we have to bring in more kids from out of state to get them on scholarship than just about any other school), and we have the inherent disadvantage of being in Pullman, which outweighs dollars spent. UW could spend the same we do and still have a tremendous advantage over us given various factors. This WSU staff deserves a ton of credit.

I don't think much of uw. And I've been to LA countless times. No thank you to SC or UCLA. And I've lived in Austin, Texas. I'd pass on UT.

Go out and find kids that want a college town atmosphere and show them the premier college town in America. Enough excuses of why Pullman isn't or hasn't or wasn't or will never be. WSU has been much closer to Rose Bowls and national titles then a lot of other schools.

WSU is a damn fine school. There are no disadvantages.

I don't think much of uw. And I've been to LA countless times. No thank you to SC or UCLA. And I've lived in Austin, Texas. I'd pass on UT.

Go out and find kids that want a college town atmosphere and show them the premier college town in America. Enough excuses of why Pullman isn't or hasn't or wasn't or will never be. WSU has been much closer to Rose Bowls and national titles then a lot of other schools.

WSU is a damn fine school. There are no disadvantages.

I'm not going to be baited into writing a lengthy exposition as to why you're wrong here--the better job I do, the more I trash the school we both love--and I agree that WSU is a great school with a lot to sell. The unique nature of the college town atmosphere can be a selling point.

That said, decades of recruiting cut against your argument, as would any kind of survey of recruitable athletes. The thoughts and preferences of recruitable athletes in 2016 are the relevant matters, not what you or I think or prefer.

There also is very little talent in WSU's "natural" recruiting area, which is a related but distinct issue.

Wilner was on Twitter a couple weeks ago, speaking about RichRod in Tucson, saying that A-level coaches become B-level coaches when they have to get on a plane to bring in their recruiting classes. Well, if that's true in Tucson, it sure is in Pullman. That's just one guy's opinion, but it seems to reflect prevailing sentiment.

Like you, though, I hope WSU's staff can go out there, figure out which kids (and which kids' parents, as that also is relevant) prefer a real college town and safe environment, and load up on as many of them as possible.

As a bottom line, you're somewhat out there if you want to say Pullman presents zero disadvantages, but I'm all for pushing staffs to recruit very good talent to WSU notwithstanding the circumstances.

Reactions: chipdouglas
Leach's weaknesses are more than just recruiting. I really watched this game, to see if I was right about suggesting that he had a definite ceiling. I was. Twice, while the game was still in reach, he called ALL running plays, in effect taking the ball completely out of Falk's and Mark's hands and placing it in the weakest weapon set. Two first and goals. Zero points. About as dumb as it gets. Now a caveat: I suppose it is "possible" that Falk audibled out of any pass plays that Leach called, and if that happened, then it is on Falk. But I just don't see a QB going COMPLETELY away from throwing the ball! So, outside that remote possibility, those two series told me all I need to know about Leach. He is a good coach. He is not a great coach. I agree that the cougar players (outside of the Gabe Marks WR clinic that he put on) were hopelessly outmatched. WHat does it say when a mediocre player like Pelleur (and I am being kind) has the most tackles?? He spent the day watching husky runners' backsides, picking up his jock, and generally giving a Herman Munster impression. And the rest of the defense was the Little Sisters of the Poor's Finishing School for girls. They looked gawdawful. So I grant that he really needs to get better athletes in there. But that doesn't account for his brain dead play calls when they got close.

Oh, yeah, yeah, I get the obvious "but the field shrinks" in the red zone whine. But that doesn't mean you just suddenly pretend that you're the 1967 Buckeyes. They went completely away from their strength, and I guess they thought their press clippings were real about their "running game" (Yes, we ARE a running team! malarkey).

Finally, I counted THREE separate instances in which WRs and RBs actually SHRUNK from contact as they saw a tackler coming. They deserve nothing but ridicule for that. It costs the cougs THREE separate first downs. That was like watching your high school boy get beaten up by a junior high girl. Just embarrassing.

If you listen to the post game interviews, Falk said he went with the run in the goal line situations because he thought it was our strength. Leach said based on how UW lined up that we should have passed the ball.

If that's the case that's the definition of delusional.

Don't get me wrong I hate losing to huskies as all cougs do, but they have always had an embarrassment of riches and always brought mediocrity out with it. Finally they have a good coach, and well they are a good team as much as I hate to say it/see it.

We on the other hand are a program that is building towards a great program.

According to the filings by the athletic department

We spend about 16.6 million dollars on football / year.

or about 2.075 million per win (8 wins) during season play.

UW spends about 29.1 million dollars on football / year
or about 2.91 million per win (10 wins) during season play.

So we actually are definitely doing more with less and as long as we keep buildiebng we'll be just fine in the future.

I like the dollar per win parameter. It is a good datapoint. However, I'd limit that to conference games only.

Look at how much UCLA has underperformed too given all the 4* recruits they have.

I'm not going to be baited into writing a lengthy exposition as to why you're wrong here--the better job I do, the more I trash the school we both love--and I agree that WSU is a great school with a lot to sell. The unique nature of the college town atmosphere can be a selling point.

That said, decades of recruiting cut against your argument, as would any kind of survey of recruitable athletes. The thoughts and preferences of recruitable athletes in 2016 are the relevant matters, not what you or I think or prefer.

There also is very little talent in WSU's "natural" recruiting area, which is a related but distinct issue.

Wilner was on Twitter a couple weeks ago, speaking about RichRod in Tucson, saying that A-level coaches become B-level coaches when they have to get on a plane to bring in their recruiting classes. Well, if that's true in Tucson, it sure is in Pullman. That's just one guy's opinion, but it seems to reflect prevailing sentiment.

Like you, though, I hope WSU's staff can go out there, figure out which kids (and which kids' parents, as that also is relevant) prefer a real college town and safe environment, and load up on as many of them as possible.

As a bottom line, you're somewhat out there if you want to say Pullman presents zero disadvantages, but I'm all for pushing staffs to recruit very good talent to WSU notwithstanding the circumstances.

425, it's not decades. You're wrong. It's 100 years! Let's be honest, WSU hasn't decided it really wanted to offer support and fund its football program until Mike Leach was hired. What hurts recruiting isn't location or local talent base. What hurts recruiting is body language. WSU has coaches that sell the school, come on up and check it out.... Kids show up and see port a potty toilets outside the stadium. They saw a press box that was 40 years old. They saw a weight room that looked like a dungeon. They saw nothing at WSU that was better then the high school they were coming from. No matter what any WSU coach said, the facilities and university betrayed them. WSU was not a place that was committed to winning football games. At all.

As for local talent, how did Oregon have such a great streak? How has Nebraska or Iowa ever won any games? How did North Dakota State do it? Even on a smaller scale, how has Carroll College in Montana won titles at the NAIA level? How did Charlie Strong win what, 15 games at Texas? How did Auburn go winless in SEC play after winning a national title? How did WSU, a school in the middle of nowhere, beat Miami in a bowl game??? Miami, a school that is arguably in the middle of everywhere!!

Location doesn't matter. Local recruits doesn't matter. It's all a BULLSHIT story meant to run down schools that don't have a large urban area to recruit from.

Tech fans never got tired of Leach. They still hate the James family for helping get Leach out of Lubbock. They also treated Tubberville so negatively that he left for a lesser job at Cincinnati. Tech fans would take Leach back in a heartbeat if they had their way.

As for Leach at Wazzu, he has done an A+ job. Yeah it took him until year 4 to have a winning season, but he inherited one of the worst situations in college football history following a guy who was 9-40 and 4-32 in league. All losses are hard especially ones to your rival, but the results have been impressive nonetheless. If someone told you when Leach was hired that it would take a few years, but in years 4 and 5 WSU would go 17-8, 13-5 in conference with dominant wins over Stanford and Oregon, plus two wins over ucla and asu you would take it every time. You could make the case Wazzu has been the best team in the Pac 12 over the past 2 seasons. Washington and Colorado have been great this year, but were not last year. Oregon and Stanford both took step backs this year.

Leach has taken the Cougars from the laughingstock of college football to a team that is relevant nationally with a high powered offense that routinely beats big name programs. Hopefully he stays in Pullman for a longtime. Chris Petersen may have his number, but nobody else in the Pac does.

Tech fans never got tired of Leach. They still hate the James family for helping get Leach out of Lubbock. They also treated Tubberville so negatively that he left for a lesser job at Cincinnati. Tech fans would take Leach back in a heartbeat if they had their way.

As for Leach at Wazzu, he has done an A+ job. Yeah it took him until year 4 to have a winning season, but he inherited one of the worst situations in college football history following a guy who was 9-40 and 4-32 in league. All losses are hard especially ones to your rival, but the results have been impressive nonetheless. If someone told you when Leach was hired that it would take a few years, but in years 4 and 5 WSU would go 17-8, 13-5 in conference with dominant wins over Stanford and Oregon, plus two wins over ucla and asu you would take it every time. You could make the case Wazzu has been the best team in the Pac 12 over the past 2 seasons. Washington and Colorado have been great this year, but were not last year. Oregon and Stanford both took step backs this year.

Leach has taken the Cougars from the laughingstock of college football to a team that is relevant nationally with a high powered offense that routinely beats big name programs. Hopefully he stays in Pullman for a longtime. Chris Petersen may have his number, but nobody else in the Pac does.

Losses bring out the idiot in people. I've mostly avoided reading most of the posts for this reason. I read yours because I knew it would have an outsiders perspective. What is really nice is that most of the team returns for the 2017 season. WSU is primed for another successful season.

Reactions: Coug95man2
Finally, I counted THREE separate instances in which WRs and RBs actually SHRUNK from contact as they saw a tackler coming. They deserve nothing but ridicule for that. It costs the cougs THREE separate first downs. That was like watching your high school boy get beaten up by a junior high girl. Just embarrassing.

I guess if the junior high girl is a future NFL player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT