ADVERTISEMENT

Bad news for USC

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
I just read that starting QB JT Daniels is out for the season after tearing his ACL. Hate seeing that happen to any kid. Their backup is a true freshman.

This obviously wont help Helton save his job. Their next 5 games are absolutely brutal.

Stanford
At BYU
Utah
At UW
At Notre Dame

Last edited:
I just read that starting QB JT Daniels is out for the season after tearing his ACL. Hate seeing that happen to any kid. Their backup is a true freshman.

This obviously wont help Helton save his job. Their next 5 games are absolutely brutal.

Stanford
At BYU
Utah
At UW
At Notre Dame

Helton tried his best to lose to Fresno last night. His fate was sealed regardless.

Reactions: wazzubruce

Stanford
At BYU
Utah
At UW
At Notre Dame

Yeah......the USC job is probably going to be open at the end of the season. 5-7 sounds about right with the Daniels news. Of course, Iowa State has had QB injuries two years in a row to find that their backup QB was better than the starter.

And this stirs up my inner paranoia. Now that SC has implemented the air raid, will they look to the master to turn their program around? :eek:

No. He has so many disciples now that they'd look there first. Think more like emptying the piggy bank for Lincoln Riley. Paying his buyout and paying him $8m/year is more USC's style than hiring Mike Leach, especially after all the misfires they've had. Most likely will be Urban Meyer.

And this stirs up my inner paranoia. Now that SC has implemented the air raid, will they look to the master to turn their program around? :eek:

Nope. Bob Stoops or Urban Meyer. SC wants coaches with titles. I don't see them going back to the well of assistants. I also don't see them hiring a guy that isn't proven as a head coach.

They'd be more likely to pursue Petersen than Leach.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
Nope. Bob Stoops or Urban Meyer. SC wants coaches with titles. I don't see them going back to the well of assistants. I also don't see them hiring a guy that isn't proven as a head coach.

They'd be more likely to pursue Petersen than Leach.

Agree with Biggs. I'd be more concerned about FSU firing Taggert and going after Leach then $C. Luckily, I think FSU is cash strapped right now.

Agree with Biggs. I'd be more concerned about FSU firing Taggert and going after Leach then $C. Luckily, I think FSU is cash strapped right now.

FSU might do it.

Honestly though, if Im an AD hiring, there comes a time when Im looking for the next Mike Leach. Coaches just don't have a lot of opportunity once they hit 60.

If Im FSU or UofTennessee or SC.... I make a run at Holgorsen.

The alums will want Urban Meyer.

This.

Whether he would take it or not remains to be seen. I thought his “health issues” were the reasons why he left coaching. Personally, the job I think he would return to the sidelines for is Notre Dame. However, now that Kelly has seemingly righted that ship, I don’t see that happening unless the bottom falls out.

Anything is possible but I do not see it as a good fit at all. Square plug meets round hole. CML likes walking to work and having as little media attention as possible. L.A. is about as far from that as possible. Others have mentioned Urban Meyer as a possibility and I agree. Either him or another HC currently under employment at another school. Their alumni want flash and Mike has been described many ways but flash? No. But then USC's AD has a poor history of selecting coaches so who knows?

This.

Whether he would take it or not remains to be seen. I thought his “health issues” were the reasons why he left coaching. Personally, the job I think he would return to the sidelines for is Notre Dame. However, now that Kelly has seemingly righted that ship, I don’t see that happening unless the bottom falls out.
Meyer left his HC position at Florida for health reasons and then popped up a couple of years later at tOSU. Could it happen again? No idea. Maybe with surgery and/or medication he will become well enough for another return.

One game into the season and we are already worried about Leach? Sure, lots of programs should be interested, but 1) not this season, 2) pc in LA stands for just plain crazy, 3) Trump, 4) age, 5) does he really want to rebuild another program? and 6) yeah, lots of talent at SC, but it was Helton who wanted the air raid not the fans.

Reactions: KingTrump
The interesting thing about this discussion is that Coach Leach has been a head coach for 18 years and he has never actually left schools on his own. Yes, I know Tennessee, but he never left.

There's also the NFL. What if the Air Raid proves successful under Kliff at Arizona? I'm sorta hoping Arizona doesn't do well.

There isn't a kid in SoCal that won't talk to a SC coach. You'll get in every living room, every coaches office, every classroom.

SC needs to take a long look at what PC did to get them to the top of college football. Then find a guy similar. Hiring old assistant coaches isn't it. Hiring a guy off someone's staff to bring that programs formula isn't it.

Texas A&M wanted a big time coach that had won a title to be their coach. Not an up and coming assistant. They went out and got one.

SC needs to do the same or it will be the same result.

They're fools if they don't have Saban's agent on the phone...

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Regarding the original subject, hate to see a kid go down.
The ONLY kid I was ever NOT sorry to see get hurt was Gustin at SC last year.
Karma's a bitch.

There isn't a kid in SoCal that won't talk to a SC coach. You'll get in every living room, every coaches office, every classroom.

SC needs to take a long look at what PC did to get them to the top of college football. Then find a guy similar. Hiring old assistant coaches isn't it. Hiring a guy off someone's staff to bring that programs formula isn't it.

Texas A&M wanted a big time coach that had won a title to be their coach. Not an up and coming assistant. They went out and got one.

Or they can ask DO double G

Very bad news for SC, but there may be a partial pewter (not really silver) lining for them. They will be forced to utilize the kids on staff for the purpose for which they were originally recruited (power football) out of a shotgun, pass first offense. When your QB is inexperienced (talented kid, and I think he will probably make it in the long term), you give him easy targets. That means that the inside receivers get a work out, and you might even use a TE from time to time...maybe even a split TE. I'm not in the group putting the death knell on their season. I think 7 wins is likely and 8 is possible. Heck, look at how weak the South seems to be this year. If Helton can win 8 with a true frosh back up QB, he will still be here next season.

Very bad news for SC, but there may be a partial pewter (not really silver) lining for them. They will be forced to utilize the kids on staff for the purpose for which they were originally recruited (power football) out of a shotgun, pass first offense. When your QB is inexperienced (talented kid, and I think he will probably make it in the long term), you give him easy targets. That means that the inside receivers get a work out, and you might even use a TE from time to time...maybe even a split TE. I'm not in the group putting the death knell on their season. I think 7 wins is likely and 8 is possible. Heck, look at how weak the South seems to be this year. If Helton can win 8 with a true frosh back up QB, he will still be here next season.

8 wins isn't what SC wants. 8 wins might as well be 4.

SC doesn't spend all that money to not win conference titles and not be a national power.

At some point Helton is who he is. He ain't the guy that is gonna get them there. If they keep him after winning 8 this season, that's likely good news for the rest of the conference.

Saban at USC? I shudder to think what that would do to the balance of power. He’d have them in the national championship game in a couple of seasons, I suspect.

Saban at USC? I shudder to think what that would do to the balance of power. He’d have them in the national championship game in a couple of seasons, I suspect.
So long as the recruiting follows—right now the SEC is cherry picking the west of the best talent.

Maybe 1 season. He’d full gaps with the JC kids and take down #1 thru however many scholarships he had left to offer on the top 100 list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT