ADVERTISEMENT

Barber gone to the Carolina Panthers...

Coug95man2

Hall Of Fame
Dec 7, 2011
or so he/we thought.

It is now being reported that the Panthers have rescinded their offer, after they learned about his legal issues over last summer...

Daaaaaamn... that night is going to haunt him forever.

This is really odd and sad if true. How could they not know about his legal history? Surely a simple googling of his name would have informed them of the problem. If, as man2 reports, this is correct then that is some pretty sloppy vetting by their front office personnel. A cruel tease played upon him and his family. Yes, I know, he brought this on himself but this is approaching 'cruel and unusual' punishment for the crime.

Somebody else will give him a shot and a second chance to redeem himself. A DL that big and strong will not go unnoticed by the rest of the league. He may have to wait until his availability is determined by the legal process.

edit: Brands X and Y are reporting that this is correct.

Last edited:
This is a fail by the Carolina front office. How could they not know in this day and age. As a Seahawk fan, this type of incompetence is good news. As someone who is rooting for Robert Barber, this is bad news.

Hate to assume but in this article, it was very specific in it's wording. It says they didn't know about his "pending" case/trial. So I wonder if they knew about the incident but thought it was over and done with. A felony charge, found guilty, would be a bad investment. If he goes to jail, what would be the point? If he doesn't go to jail, he's still a PR issue, isn't he? Basically, is he worth the gamble of being guilty vs innocent?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article147888169.html

I also wonder (truly don't know but someone here might know more) if the NFL has issues with felons on the roster. I know over the past few years they've really been cracking down on the concept of "criminals in the NFL", kind of thing... Could this decision be influenced by that?

Also, I hate to cast stones... If it wasn't for the fact we all followed this story intensely and know his battle and all the details involved, we would only go with the blanket concept that he was in the middle of what could easily be described as a mob fight, several players involved, broken jaw, he was one that was left standing etc. etc. I can't judge someone for thinking he could be a liability, in several ways.

Regardless, this is sad. I don't think Barber is a thug, don't think he's a liability. BUT I am able to see the other side of this coin. Sad, all around because I think he could really help the Panthers.

Don't dismiss the possibility that this was a PR move by Carolina. Personally, I wish more teams, and even the league, would take a hardline with players who commit violent crimes. Not saying that Barber deserves this, but if you want to deter behavior, send a message to the Mixon's, Gregory's, Ray Rice's, etc. You do that, you don't play in our league.

Reactions: 79COUG
I wish Barber the best and hope that he gets an opportunity somewhere. I just wish that our players hadn't been so willing to throw down last summer and I hope the guys in the program look at Barber, Fehoko and Tago and realize that staying out of trouble is important than proving your manhood to someone who is irrelevant to you. Our football players let the gnats flying around their heads influence their decisions and they need to be better than that.

I know that Barber regrets the way that day played out and is no danger to anyone and I hope that he gets a chance to prove that. I'm glad that Luani has been able to put his bad night at the pizza joint behind him.

or so he/we thought.

It is now being reported that the Panthers have rescinded their offer, after they learned about his legal issues over last summer...

Daaaaaamn... that night is going to haunt him forever.
It will only haunt him until he is able to prove he can play well at the next level.

Aaron Hernandez was a first round talent picked up in the 4th round. His baggage was way heavier than Barber's. But I did hear a couple weeks ago from a local that the frat party wasn't the only incident and on one incident threatened to fight the police. But if he can play it will soon be forgotten.

It will only haunt him until he is able to prove he can play well at the next level.

Aaron Hernandez was a first round talent picked up in the 4th round. His baggage was way heavier than Barber's. But I did hear a couple weeks ago from a local that the frat party wasn't the only incident and on one incident threatened to fight the police. But if he can play it will soon be forgotten.

More "innuEDno" from the guy who cried a river defending Wulff's defense of Andy Roof.

More "innuEDno" from the guy who cried a river defending Wulff's defense of Andy Roof.
Good grief...What defense of Roof? The kid had problems beyond football. He got booted. Timing was bad, but he was kicked out by the university. What did Wulff argue? That he need a 5th chance?

No innuendo....it was well known Barber wasn't a choir boy. He got to play, and now the NFL is shying away after more research, or at least one team is.

I'm hearing Barber was found not guilty of Assault in the second degree. He was also found not guilty of Assault in the fourth degree.

A little misleading, Ed, assuming this is the incident in which his friend was arrested for throwing beef jerky at a car (yes, seriously). In that case, Barber thought an undercover cop was a mocking frat boy--the undercover cop was laughing at him--and Barber threatened him. He wound up getting arrested for harassing a police officer for that. If that's the one, which likely is the case, then I think the additional context is important. I agree he's not a choir boy, though, and that the NFL won't care much about any of this if he shows he can play.

Reactions: CPtheCoug
The two posters here who found Barber guilty have been proven wrong One wonders if Barber has a possible law suit ? If anything the NFL may yet offer him a free agent contract. This clears his name and people may stop taking potshots at him. Not Guilty

The two posters here who found Barber guilty have been proven wrong One wonders if Barber has a possible law suit ? If anything the NFL may yet offer him a free agent contract. This clears his name and people may stop taking potshots at him. Not Guilty

Who is Barber going to sue? WSU? The state? Whitman County? What's the basis of his lawsuit against any of them that would actually stick? The most likely result of him bringing a lawsuit is to keep a bad situation at the forefront longer and make him poison to NFL teams. He would be much better served to go back to Carolina and see if they will give him that shot now that he is clear.

A little misleading, Ed, assuming this is the incident in which his friend was arrested for throwing beef jerky at a car (yes, seriously). In that case, Barber thought an undercover cop was a mocking frat boy--the undercover cop was laughing at him--and Barber threatened him. He wound up getting arrested for harassing a police officer for that. If that's the one, which likely is the case, then I think the additional context is important. I agree he's not a choir boy, though, and that the NFL won't care much about any of this if he shows he can play.

Thanks for that back story. I had not heard that and changes my perception of the particular incident.

Just out of curiosity, how many run ins did Barber have? One was at a party where he got in a fight and was acquitted, one with a police officer. Are you saying he threatened the officer before the officer identified himself as such? Are there any other incidents or is that it?

And if he was drafted in the top four rounds no one would care even if he was found guilty.

He was found innocent on all charges ,if you failed to notice.Maybe they caught him jaywalking in the Palouse?

Who is Barber going to sue? WSU? The state? Whitman County? What's the basis of his lawsuit against any of them that would actually stick? The most likely result of him bringing a lawsuit is to keep a bad situation at the forefront longer and make him poison to NFL teams. He would be much better served to go back to Carolina and see if they will give him that shot now that he is clear.

Agreed. He won, vindication! Now its time to move on with life and work your way on the NFL playing field.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug

If I remember, he really didn't threaten him bodily, just words from across the street. It was something like "Get the F out of here or I will kick your ass." Honestly, I have heard something used similar many times without it being a real threat. He was a way to tell someone to mind their own business.

The sad part about this is that Sgt Schulz and the Student Conduct Board quietly slipped away into the night.. Their decisions and actions should have been rebuked by the Regents .They have given the University a black eye and i think that we may not have heard the last of this.

Just out of curiosity, how many run ins did Barber have? One was at a party where he got in a fight and was acquitted, one with a police officer. Are you saying he threatened the officer before the officer identified himself as such? Are there any other incidents or is that it?

And if he was drafted in the top four rounds no one would care even if he was found guilty.
Is there any proof of this or what he said. If not....it's an appeal to ignorance. If there was a video of him shoving a guy out of a pizza joint...I could understand the concern.

The sad part about this is that Sgt Schulz and the Student Conduct Board quietly slipped away into the night.. Their decisions and actions should have been rebuked by the Regents .They have given the University a black eye and i think that we may not have heard the last of this.
Senator Baumgartner has made it quite public that this is only the beginning. Because it's a state entity, the politics of it is deep. He is working hard to move on this and get things changed. Also realize, our very own Jeremiah Allison has been working with Baumgartner, not only as a job but I'd guess Allison would have great insight on this specific issue.

Is there any proof of this or what he said. If not....it's an appeal to ignorance. If there was a video of him shoving a guy out of a pizza joint...I could understand the concern.
Define proof? Other than any video we see of these players there is no proof. Is it proof if an officer saw it another way?

Did Keith Millard really beat up a pizza delivery guy or was that a made up story. Walden says it was fabricated? Did Millard really say to Minneapolis police my guns (arms) are stringer than your guns? Or do we have to have video.

Like I said if he was a top 4 round draft pick no one would care in the NFL. But there is enough history even though he was acquitted that North Carolina and other teams don't want the headache.

Define proof? Other than any video we see of these players there is no proof. Is it proof if an officer saw it another way?

Did Keith Millard really beat up a pizza delivery guy or was that a made up story. Walden says it was fabricated? Did Millard really say to Minneapolis police my guns (arms) are stringer than your guns? Or do we have to have video.

Like I said if he was a top 4 round draft pick no one would care in the NFL. But there is enough history even though he was acquitted that North Carolina and other teams don't want the headache.
Where's the proof that the officer found it another way? No proof.......just piling on.

Where's the proof that the officer found it another way? No proof.......just piling on.
Piling on what? He was acquitted. It becomes he said he said type of deal. Do I believe the police 100% of the time? Nope.

Piling on what? He was acquitted. It becomes he said he said type of deal. Do I believe the police 100% of the time? Nope.
You put out there, a bunch of questions that insinuate the kid could have said this or that, mighta had other incidents, etc. etc.. Then in a couple posts later, you actually defend him by saying he was acquitted and you don't believe the police 100% of the time.

You also say it's a "he said, he said" type of deal... Meaning who knows what is truth... So you're just throwing all these questions/assertions out there for WHAT reason? To expand all of our minds to the possibility of alternate truths? The kid could be a liability to any organization or is the cop a liability to the community? I mean... what is your point with this?

Reactions: CPtheCoug
Ed seems to be afraid to admit that he was wrong. There is always a qualifier behind his statements

You put out there, a bunch of questions that insinuate the kid could have said this or that, mighta had other incidents, etc. etc.. Then in a couple posts later, you actually defend him by saying he was acquitted and you don't believe the police 100% of the time.

You also say it's a "he said, he said" type of deal... Meaning who knows what is truth... So you're just throwing all these questions/assertions out there for WHAT reason? To expand all of our minds to the possibility of alternate truths? The kid could be a liability to any organization or is the cop a liability to the community? I mean... what is your point with this?
JG funny stuff. He was acquitted. Doesn't mean he didn't beat the crap out of someone. Nor does it mean this was his only action, including the incident with the police. It has been told to me there are more incidents.

I am glad the kid got his degree. I am glad he can move on. But for Baumgarten and Jack Thomspn as THIS as his rally cry seems to be misguided. I am at a gym in Seattle just last night and a parent brings this exact issue up. Said his daughter was at the house where Barber handled his business. The reason the prosecution lost in good part is kid who
Ed seems to be afraid to admit that he was wrong. There is always a qualifier behind his statements
Wrong about what? That he was acquitted?Nope. he was. Do I think he beat the crap out of a guy unnecessarily? Yep. Do I think is the case where Baumgarten and Thompson should beat up the police department? Nope. I think the cases of Casto and others are much more flagrant. Do I think players beating the crap out of people should be looked the other way? NO.

JG funny stuff. He was acquitted. Doesn't mean he didn't beat the crap out of someone. Nor does it mean this was his only action, including the incident with the police. It has been told to me there are more incidents. What if I told you there are three more incidents. Is he a VICTIM on each one of those as well.

I am glad the kid got his degree. I am glad he can move on. But for Baumgarten and Jack Thompson for this THIS to be their rally cry seems to be misguided. I am at a gym in Seattle just last night and a parent brings this exact issue up. Said his daughter was at the house where Barber handled his business. Said the football payers were lighting off fire crackers in the house and were asked to leave. One of the kids hammered asked Barber to leave. The reason the prosecution lost in good part is the kid blew 4 times the legal limit. Doesn't mean Barber didn't act inappropriate. And if this was Barbers only issue then yeah I would have zero caveats.

From what I understand from people who have been around this case and others, Barber hasn't been a saint. And the issue with the police...well there are two sides to the story. I have heard both sides.

Again, glad he can move on. Glad he will have the opportunity to move on. He can either take what he has learned and be productive, or take this as just another lesson he will be bailed out because he is an athlete. See Jeremy Stevens.

Keith Millard was a menace on campus. As was Junior Tupola. Walden made all kinds of excuses for him. The fact is Millard did all the crap and more because he never did have consequences for his actions. Same with Junior T. He was security for a drug dealer in California after he graduated. Fortunately he somehow turned it around.

Last edited:
JG funny stuff. He was acquitted. Doesn't mean he didn't beat the crap out of someone. Nor does it mean this was his only action, including the incident with the police. It has been told to me there are more incidents.

I am glad the kid got his degree. I am glad he can move on. But for Baumgarten and Jack Thomspn as THIS as his rally cry seems to be misguided. I am at a gym in Seattle just last night and a parent brings this exact issue up. Said his daughter was at the house where Barber handled his business. The reason the prosecution lost in good part is kid who

Wrong about what? That he was acquitted?Nope. he was. Do I think he beat the crap out of a guy unnecessarily? Yep. Do I think is the case where Baumgarten and Thompson should beat up the police department? Nope. I think the cases of Casto and others are much more flagrant. Do I think players beating the crap out of people should be looked the other way? NO.
Ever considered proofreading your posts?

Ever considered proofreading your posts?
Matter of fact I do and did. If you must know I starting writing that post. Computer "wasn't responding" and I wasn't done writing or proofing. Then when the computer "responded" I wrote a different post instead of the one you are reading. I didn't think it was posted as it became a "ghost writing ") for the lack of a better term. Somehow it got posted.

Matter of fact I do and did. If you must know I starting writing that post. Computer "wasn't responding" and I wasn't done writing or proofing. Then when the computer "responded" I wrote a different post instead of the one you are reading. I didn't think it was posted as it became a "ghost writing ") for the lack of a better term. Somehow it got posted.

Sometimes the person who imitates a fight gets the crap beat out of them. If i saw a massive man and people were swinging,.i would steer clear of the man. A man "gots to know his limitations'. That is true in many areas.

FWIW, I've had two friends serve on juries that acquitted people that they were almost certainly guilty because they didn't feel that the cops did a good job of investigating the case or that there wasn't enough evidence to justify sending someone to prison.

In one instance, a convicted drug offender was found with a camera bag full of weed and in another, a guy on parole was found with a gun in his vehicle. Both were found not guilty because the jury didn't feel convinced that they could say that reasonable doubt didn't come into play. In both instances, my friends said that they were personally 100% convinced that the guys did it, but from the stricly legal perspective, they were comfortable with letting them walk.

By the letter of the law, OJ didn't kill two people.....but everyone knows that he did it. Barber has no case against anyone just because he wasn't found guilty. His best move is to put it behind him. It would be best for everyone here to do the same. To pretend that he was anything other than an abusive dick when he beat up that guy last summer is just sticking your head in the sand. I'm glad that he is the position to move on now and hope he can and does.

Barber should get a good defamation law attorney and sue Eric C. Dickenson aka CougEd. Why would any Cougar fan work so hard to disparage a Cougar player who has been legally exonerated in a felony case? Shameless.

Sometimes the person who imitates a fight gets the crap beat out of them. If i saw a massive man and people were swinging,.i would steer clear of the man. A man "gots to know his limitations'. That is true in many areas.
Let me get this straight....what you are saying that Barber proved he was tougher than the kid who was hammered and was a buck 60. So the frat got what he deserved. I guess Barber can put that on his resume, he doesn't take crap from anyone. Now tell me how that plays in the NFL when you are a free agent? Can you tell me his pride in "defending" himself in walking away was worth the chance of going to the NFL?

Personally, my opinion it is smarter to walk away and play another day. But I get he has his limits at 1 in the morn.

Barber should get a good defamation law attorney and sue Eric C. Dickenson aka CougEd. Why would any Cougar fan work so hard to disparage a Cougar player who has been legally exonerated in a felony case? Shameless.
Yes, I disparaged the guy. Well, if he was working in the NFL maybe he could hire an attorney to file a case. Maybe Joseph the Banke-r you can fund him the money. But to do that you would probably have to use your real name instead of the fake name you give everyone. Then after an attorney would look at a "message" board and say "what did CougEd do to disparage Robert Barber". That he had other incidents? Court records my guess would show that. Also if you spoke to the Pullman police there might be another story. All I said it seems a bit of a stretch to make this the case Baumgarten takes a stand.

Glad he has a chance to move forward and if the NFL will take a chance good for him. But I will always say it is stupid to get into a fight. As proven, even though he won he lost.

Somehow Ed you just like to have the last word and cannot admit that you are wrong. i do not believe that if someone accosted you,that you would always react rationally . their are natural responses every human being has in them which come into play in such a situation.. The guy was acquitted. You seem to bring your daughter s opinion into the discussion as she "knows" what happened .Perhaps her opinions have been slanted by some of her friends? One could go on and on and you will never admit that a jury found him not guilty on all charges/

Somehow Ed you just like to have the last word and cannot admit that you are wrong. i do not believe that if someone accosted you,that you would always react rationally . their are natural responses every human being has in them which come into play in such a situation.. The guy was acquitted. You seem to bring your daughter s opinion into the discussion as she "knows" what happened .Perhaps her opinions have been slanted by some of her friends? One could go on and on and you will never admit that a jury found him not guilty on all charges/
El...my daughter wasn't there. Simply heard from a father's daughter who was. She was standing right there. I said he was acquitted. HE was always going to be acquitted as the kid in question blew a .32. IS there something else you would like me to say? He clearly got in a fight. One that there are disputes of what happened. But there is NO dispute this clearly jeopardizes his ability to make money at the next level. You clearly don't believe he should contain himself. I do. Not just for the university sake, but his own. And that is the way it is playing out. Having something on video that the NFL can see is much different than Millard beating up the pizza guy. Walden and Millard can always say "that didn't happen".

And there is no question the police get a little zealous in Pullman. An officer busting Casto in his own house smoking a bowl is a perfect example. The Wil Derting episode.

There have been enough fights in the last year that would indicate there is a tipping point. The kids either don't care about the consequences, they don't see the consequences as a deterrent, or there are none.

If a guy cant see his boiling point almost has to be life threatening, IE a gun or knife involved when there is a pro contract looming, then he didn't learn squat at WSU.

Let me ask you this. Outside of his struggles with class, how many events did Leon Bender find himself involved in?

Yes, I disparaged the guy. Well, if he was working in the NFL maybe he could hire an attorney to file a case. Maybe Joseph the Banke-r you can fund him the money. But to do that you would probably have to use your real name instead of the fake name you give everyone. Then after an attorney would look at a "message" board and say "what did CougEd do to disparage Robert Barber". That he had other incidents? Court records my guess would show that. Also if you spoke to the Pullman police there might be another story. All I said it seems a bit of a stretch to make this the case Baumgarten takes a stand.

Glad he has a chance to move forward and if the NFL will take a chance good for him. But I will always say it is stupid to get into a fight. As proven, even though he won he lost.

As in your idiot jowly brother threatening to slap people around in Pullman. More bad genetics?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT