ADVERTISEMENT

Beavs getting whipped by CSU..

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008
44-27 with 9 minutes left.
Yikes. Thought they were going to be better this year.

44-27 with 9 minutes left.
Yikes. Thought they were going to be better this year.

The Beaver defense isn't making me a believer. And if you get up on them early, their biggest weapon - Nall - goes away.

The Beaver defense isn't making me a believer. And if you get up on them early, their biggest weapon - Nall - goes away.
Yeah, that defense seems to have some holes--everywhere. Luton does look like an improvement at QB, though.

Beavs hung in there early and should of been leading at halftime, but they got steamrolled in the 2nd half. Looked like they had serious conditioning problems.

Bad defense and an easy offense to game plan. Stop Nall, stop the Beavs.

Was CSU supposed to be a good MWC team this year orBeavs just that bad?

CSU has a good program, and they were debuting their new stadium. Lots of energy, and the altitude and heat wore down OSU.

Strange gameplan by the Beavs. They abandoned the run way too early and tried to play a wide open passing scheme. If they do that against us, we'll beat them by 3TDs. If they stick with pounding the run and using play-action, they can compete.

CSU has a good program, and they were debuting their new stadium. Lots of energy, and the altitude and heat wore down OSU.

Strange gameplan by the Beavs. They abandoned the run way too early and tried to play a wide open passing scheme. If they do that against us, we'll beat them by 3TDs. If they stick with pounding the run and using play-action, they can compete.

Agreed on all counts, only to add that a lot of people wrote us off after we started 0-2 last year. I could see us looking way past them this year.

One other thing: I find Gary Anderson to be unsettling. Dude seems wound way too tight. Seems like a time bomb.

Last edited:

Anderson's stated goal was to incorporate more aspects of the Air Raid into his offense. That's going to be a work in progress, if it happens with much success at all?

I agree that their best weapon, at this point, is Nall (and maybe the RB transfer from Oregon?). Do what you do best - run the ball with enough success, mix in some short stuff to the TE and RB, so that the other team starts selling out to stop it....THEN start chucking it downfield.

OSU's defense looked vulnerable from the start. Especially when CSU ran to the left. Eventually OSU got worn down with heat, altitude and maybe lack of depth.

But a loss in the season opener doesn't mean the season's over. The Cougs are "poster children" for that. People get so willing to make definitive statements based on a small sample size. We have started 0-5 under Leach but have had some pretty darn good seasons after those games.

Anderson is a really respected coach.

I expect, if they can avoid injuries, that they greatly improve over the next few weeks.

Or maybe not? Maybe this will turn into a clusterbleep season for them?

All I'm saying is we would be wise to avoid jumping to too many conclusions based on one game.

Agree with Wasichus. Anderson is a good one and I believe that he will get the beavs back on track eventually. Still a work in progress down in Corvallis.

Also agree with conclusions after the first game. Same applies to Stanford. Are they really that good or is Rice that weak? Either is possible and I drew no conclusions at all from that game.

It sucks at every level if you don't have a really good QB. The Beavs need to settle that position if they hope to compete, as their defense isn't good enough to lean on. How many consecutive seasons has OSU started a new QB?

Last edited:
It sucks at every level if you don't have an really good QB. The Beavs need to settle that position if they hope to compete, as their defense isn't good enough to lean on. How many consecutive seasons has OSU started a new QB?
Especially considering that Anderson wants to incorporate some aspects of the air raid in OSU's offense. As we have all seen, the coordination between the QB and the receivers is ingrained by repetition. If Anderson is, as reported, considering a Leach style aspect to the Beav's offense then he will need a QB with considerable time with his team before any positive results emerge.

In fairness to Anderson, fans often make the mistake of expecting linear progression after a coaching hire. "Year 1 was improved, so year 2 will be even better." Of course, that isn't usually the case.

It's going to take some time, but I won't write them off just yet.

Agree with Wasichus. Anderson is a good one and I believe that he will get the beavs back on track eventually. Still a work in progress down in Corvallis.

Also agree with conclusions after the first game. Same applies to Stanford. Are they really that good or is Rice that weak? Either is possible and I drew no conclusions at all from that game.

We can conclude that Rice is terrible.

In fairness to Anderson, fans often make the mistake of expecting linear progression after a coaching hire. "Year 1 was improved, so year 2 will be even better." Of course, that isn't usually the case.

It's going to take some time, but I won't write them off just yet.[/QUO
if this season continues on the same path Anderson will get next year to make major strides or his seat will be on fire, maybe even a firing, which would put them back to square one

It's going to take some time, but I won't write them off just yet.
I wouldn't write them off either. But isn't this a prime example of how the alum, the fans, the schools want some sort of change. And then this happens... Be careful what you wish for. Coaching changes aren't always a good thing. It's a gamble. And while administrators and Athletic Directors know it, it sure seems like the general public may not see the same risks.

I wouldn't write them off either. But isn't this a prime example of how the alum, the fans, the schools want some sort of change. And then this happens... Be careful what you wish for. Coaching changes aren't always a good thing. It's a gamble. And while administrators and Athletic Directors know it, it sure seems like the general public may not see the same risks.

Sincerely,
Jeff Tedford

No question about it, but the season isn't over yet for the Beavs. They didn't have a great year last season, but they bounced back last season and finished respectably. Here were their last 5 games of last season:

WSU 31-35 Blew a huge 1st half lead
at Stan 15-26
at UCLA 24-38
Arizona 42-17
Oregon 34-24

Most people in the circles thought that the Anderson was great. If it doesn't pan out, so be it. Like I said earlier, he needs to address the QB position. I know that sounds like the most rudimentary arm chair advice, but you can't be successful in our conference as a team like WSU, OSU, Cal, Colorado, etc. without exceptional QB play. Anderson needed (and still needs) a shiny freshman QB to build around.

If this season melts down, and it very well may, he'll be on a very hot seat next season and starting over again at the QB position. Unless Luton, already a junior and a JC transfer from Idaho, pulls it together.

I know NOTHING about coaching football, but the very, very, very first thing I'd do if I were hired would be to find a young QB to build around. Even I could recruit the QB position for a P12 program.

Reactions: Coug95man2
No question about it, but the season isn't over yet for the Beavs. They didn't have a great year last season, but they bounced back last season and finished respectably. Here were their last 5 games of last season:

WSU 31-35 Blew a huge 1st half lead
at Stan 15-26
at UCLA 24-38
Arizona 42-17
Oregon 34-24

Most people in the circles thought that the Anderson was great. If it doesn't pan out, so be it. Like I said earlier, he needs to address the QB position. I know that sounds like the most rudimentary arm chair advice, but you can't be successful in our conference as a team like WSU, OSU, Cal, Colorado, etc. without exceptional QB play. Anderson needed (and still needs) a shiny freshman QB to build around.

If this season melts down, and it very well may, he'll be on a very hot seat next season and starting over again at the QB position. Unless Luton, already a junior and a JC transfer from Idaho, pulls it together.

I know NOTHING about coaching football, but the very, very, very first thing I'd do if I were hired would be to find a young QB to build around. Even I could recruit the QB position for a P12 program.

No offense, but this kind of falls into the "no S" category. That's what every new hire coach does. Even Wulff got Tuel in his first real class.

No offense, but this kind of falls into the "no S" category. That's what every new hire coach does. Even Wulff got Tuel in his first real class.

No offense taken. I agree. I mean, even big name coaches are only given 3-4 years to turn things around. You can't afford to kick sand with JC transfers from Idaho and converted WR's.

It would really be unfair for Anderson not to be given a long leash in his time in Corvallis. The Beaver alumni may need to be reminded that he gave up a HC position at a prime school like Wisconsin to come to OSU. That alone should be to his credit and appreciation in the Willamette Valley.

Yes, he has yet to find a QB to be the pillar of his offense. He has come in 2nd and 3rd in the recruiting wars for that slot. Shades of Bill Doba's staff's recruiting prowess. Not sure why that is.

His resume is fairly impressive. Good work done at Utah State and Wisconsin and I suspect and hope that he does the same with the Beavs.

I have a soft spot in my heart for OSU. Our cousins. The little guys amidst the larger and richer powers of the west coast.

It would really be unfair for Anderson not to be given a long leash in his time in Corvallis. The Beaver alumni may need to be reminded that he gave up a HC position at a prime school like Wisconsin to come to OSU. That alone should be to his credit and appreciation in the Willamette Valley.

Unfortunately, fairness has nothing to do with it. If the Beavs stumble this year, again next season, Anderson is gone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT