ADVERTISEMENT

Just to pass the time - NIT decliners

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Been thinking about this. While I can understand some of the bigger programs getting all butt hurt about the NCAA, here's a thought. Since the NCAA is supposedly paying the way, why not accept the bid and use it to play your younger players that have been warming the bench all year? Not like the whole starting 5, but giving solid minutes throughout the game would IMHO be huge for these guys. Still try to win the game(s), even better if you get 2 or 3 to really give some quality time to them.

Been thinking about this. While I can understand some of the bigger programs getting all butt hurt about the NCAA, here's a thought. Since the NCAA is supposedly paying the way, why not accept the bid and use it to play your younger players that have been warming the bench all year? Not like the whole starting 5, but giving solid minutes throughout the game would IMHO be huge for these guys. Still try to win the game(s), even better if you get 2 or 3 to really give some quality time to them.

It doesn't make sense to me that teams would skip the NIT. I like the idea of dedicating it to the kids who are developing even if you aren't otherwise interested. Of course, arrogance is a powerful driver for some people.

Reactions: kougkurt
That’s great for the kids and possibly for the team development but does anyone want to watch what would amount to almost a JV game? NIT screwed up imo with their new emphasis on getting more big conference schools from the middle or even lower half of their leagues. Oftentimes teams like that have had a disappointing season and are ready for it to be over. While on the other side of the coin small conference schools would be ecstatic about an invite and their fan base would be thrilled to support the team.

What I've come to understand is a lot of teams want to focus and get a jump start on the portal, keeping the team together, etc.

That’s great for the kids and possibly for the team development but does anyone want to watch what would amount to almost a JV game? NIT screwed up imo with their new emphasis on getting more big conference schools from the middle or even lower half of their leagues. Oftentimes teams like that have had a disappointing season and are ready for it to be over. While on the other side of the coin small conference schools would be ecstatic about an invite and their fan base would be thrilled to support the team.
WSU starts 3 freshmen when Chineylu starts.....they aren't JV

Your post stated playing time would be given to bench warmers.

“it to play your younger players that have been warming the bench all year?”
The point was that just because they are freshmen doesn't mean that they are JV players, as mentioned in another post. I'm sure that the freshman and other benchwarmers for some of those decliners might be some pretty good ballplayers.

The point was that just because they are freshmen doesn't mean that they are JV players, as mentioned in another post. I'm sure that the freshman and other benchwarmers for some of those decliners might be some pretty good ballplayers.
Fair enough

And not suggesting that they start the 5 guys at the end of the bench. Rather spot them in 1 or 2 at a time and get them meaningful minutes while still trying to win. Moot point now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT