ADVERTISEMENT

Beer sales

kayak15

Hall Of Fame
Apr 17, 2012
Mercer Island
Anyone have any in formation on how this is going? We were told that this would be implemented last September and then it seemed to peter out. I have seen little information since. We could certainly use the added income. If we cannot get the alumni to open their wallets for the CAF, maybe they will for beer.

Anyone have any in formation on how this is going? We were told that this would be implemented last September and then it seemed to peter out. I have seen little information since. We could certainly use the added income. If we cannot get the alumni to open their wallets for the CAF, maybe they will for beer.

Generally speaking I believe what happened was our request had early sign off (approval) from low ranking managers/employees in which they then sent our preliminary approved request up the chain of command for final approval. The top-dogs, apparently, flipped out over the speed in which our request was approved. They demanded more analysis and other considerations before final approval. It is my understanding that WSU is still working to fulfill their requests for additional information.

Hopefully we get approval before this season (and for other sporting events too, IE: Soccer).

This would definitely help the Athletic Department's bottom line.

Reactions: kayak15
Generally speaking I believe what happened was our request had early sign off (approval) from low ranking managers/employees in which they then sent our preliminary approved request up the chain of command for final approval. The top-dogs, apparently, flipped out over the speed in which our request was approved. They demanded more analysis and other considerations before final approval. It is my understanding that WSU is still working to fulfill their requests for additional information.

Hopefully we get approval before this season (and for other sporting events too, IE: Soccer).

CP, in soccer there has been a bit of a "work-around". Can't say it's benefiting the Athletic Dept but it was nice to get a drink! If you go across the street, there was a mobile stand that served alcohol... at least they were last year. Over in that small, outside parking lot next to the entrance to the underground parking. Great food, too.

Thanks for the response. After over 100 views and no answers, I was reaching the conclusion that nobody really knew. Your post reflects my suspicion that it was still stuck in the state bureaucracy.

Thanks also to man2. Nice to know about the soccer stand.

Thanks for the response. After over 100 views and no answers, I was reaching the conclusion that nobody really knew. Your post reflects my suspicion that it was still stuck in the state bureaucracy.

Thanks also to man2. Nice to know about the soccer stand.

Listening to Moos on the radio this morning. When talking about Martin Stadium season ticket renewals one of the radio guys said something along the lines of: "Any other questions? Beer? Naaahhh I won't ask you about that now. We will go ahead and pester Olympia about that come July/August..."

Moos stayed silent the whole time, maybe a chuckle or two. Not sure if we should be worried about the lack of updates or not!

They've had beer sales in Century Link for WSU games. You had to be in a beer garden. I am curious if this concept would be more appealing to liquor control. The only problem would be the stands would be empty...everyone would be in the beer gardens.

They've had beer sales in Century Link for WSU games. You had to be in a beer garden. I am curious if this concept would be more appealing to liquor control. The only problem would be the stands would be empty...everyone would be in the beer gardens.
Ugh. TV cameras showing a lot of empty seats. Not a pleasant sight and one that we and surely Moos would not want.

I'm guessing this has something to do with Washington State law. Oregon State has beer sales, no problem. But reading the tea leaves, I'm guessing WA laws have some sort of equivalent to "We can't have beer sales in the state legislature, which is state owned, so we can't have beer sales at Martin" kinda thing... One question that would quickly and easily throw my theory into the garbage is... Does the Ewe have alcohol sales?

I'm guessing this has something to do with Washington State law. Oregon State has beer sales, no problem. But reading the tea leaves, I'm guessing WA laws have some sort of equivalent to "We can't have beer sales in the state legislature, which is state owned, so we can't have beer sales at Martin" kinda thing... One question that would quickly and easily throw my theory into the garbage is... Does the Ewe have alcohol sales?

If I remember correctly they do. They have a beer garden that opens till half time, then closes. They also serve alcohol in the premium seating areas. Sound familiar?

You might be on to something. Washington has a history of some unusual alcohol laws (AKA the blue laws). Bars closed on Saturday at midnight and reopened at 6:00am on Monday with no beer or wine sold elsewhere during these hours. Taverns were required to have a large window exposing the drinking area. That way the public could keep an eye on the unwashed riff-raff within. Cocktail lounges, on the other hand, could have no windows exposing the drinking area. Gentlemen of class, distinction and taste should be allowed to sip their potions in comfort and solitude. Those who may think that I am full of it again may take a close look at any tavern or cocktail lounge dating prior to 1960 or so. Also no bars within one mile of colleges. The Blue Moon in Seattle was the closest bar from the u for many years. These "blue laws" eventually were abolished one at a time. So man2 may have stumbled upon something. There may be some obscure state law obstructing beer sales to the general public (the riff-raff) in state owned athletic facilities. It would not surprise me. If you have a free couple or more hours, ask me about the hypocrisy I have observed in Seattle during my adult life regarding enforcement of "vice" laws.

It was approved and signed off within the university. But someone forgot to include the Liquor board in the conversations, and they did not agree with WSU's plans. Not sure what the status is at this point, but word is that the two sides were not particularly close to an arrangement last fall.

Reactions: CPtheCoug
It was approved and signed off within the university. But someone forgot to include the Liquor board in the conversations, and they did not agree with WSU's plans. Not sure what the status is at this point, but word is that the two sides were not particularly close to an arrangement last fall.

The individual who was in charge of that should be guillotined!

Heres the last article I could find DURING the football season. Beyond this, I didn't really find anything worthy or enlightening.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/nov/25/beer-sales-not-happening-at-apple-cup-game/

So it sounds like Ewe doesn't have beer sales within the general seating. Also sounds as if beer sales is an uphill battle in general seating. I've always assumed that due to the elaborate beer garden, especially in Corvallis, that they had general seating beer sales. Maybe they don't. Never been there.

2 points in conjunction with Oregon/OSU:
1. Minimum, why couldn't WSU find a way to make a beer garden, then? It seems the Liquor board has specific concerns regarding "control" of consumers. Beer Gardens provide that! Over in the end zone, make a second deck on top of the concessions, sandwiched between the Jumbotron and the first floor? Cripes, even extend it out over the stands so the stands over there are "covered". That would add value to those stands, as well!
2. If they do have general seating beer sales at OSU and UO, WSU would be wise to see if they'd be willing to share the answers they used to assuage the Liquor Board in Oregon.

Just general thoughts...

2 points in conjunction with Oregon/OSU:
1. Minimum, why couldn't WSU find a way to make a beer garden, then? It seems the Liquor board has specific concerns regarding "control" of consumers. Beer Gardens provide that! Over in the end zone, make a second deck on top of the concessions, sandwiched between the Jumbotron and the first floor? Cripes, even extend it out over the stands so the stands over there are "covered". That would add value to those stands, as well!
2. If they do have general seating beer sales at OSU and UO, WSU would be wise to see if they'd be willing to share the answers they used to assuage the Liquor Board in Oregon.

Just general thoughts...

Thoughts:

1. If I'm WSU, I don't want fans standing in a beer garden all game. I want them in their seats watching the game, cheering, making an impact. Apples to oranges a bit here - but watching the Spring Game on TV it looked like no one was there, but from the sounds of it, there was a pretty good turnout, but lemme guess where all the fans were standing...I'm going to go with the Beer Garden. If someone can confirm or refute my claim in attendance, please feel free.

Additionally, I don't really want "tents" in the stadium again. It looked horrible the year before building the FOB. I want them the AD create a better atmosphere, but my two cents is a beer tent would take away from it. Even with the possible revenue it could create.

2. 100% on the sentiment there. I do not believe there's an option to purchase beer in the general stadium at those universities; I don't recall that being an option at OSU when I was there last fall.

If I remember correctly they do. They have a beer garden that opens till half time, then closes. They also serve alcohol in the premium seating areas. Sound familiar?

They have that endzone area that serves beer at halftime, but it's outside the stadium. Pretty much exactly the same as Martin.

Thoughts:

1. If I'm WSU, I don't want fans standing in a beer garden all game. I want them in their seats watching the game, cheering, making an impact. Apples to oranges a bit here - but watching the Spring Game on TV it looked like no one was there, but from the sounds of it, there was a pretty good turnout, but lemme guess where all the fans were standing...I'm going to go with the Beer Garden. If someone can confirm or refute my claim in attendance, please feel free.

Additionally, I don't really want "tents" in the stadium again. It looked horrible the year before building the FOB. I want them the AD create a better atmosphere, but my two cents is a beer tent would take away from it. Even with the possible revenue it could create.

2. 100% on the sentiment there. I do not believe there's an option to purchase beer in the general stadium at those universities; I don't recall that being an option at OSU when I was there last fall.
You are correct. The beer garden was very full at the Spring Game. Which did contribute to the empty look.

Regarding the beer garden, I can't IMAGINE going back to tents. If we were going to do something, it better be something well done. NOT tents. Meaning serious construction, meaning overhead.

When the potential sales of beer could bring in 1 million bucks a year... I'll be honest, I'm on the fence regarding if I care that the seats look empty. An additional 1 mill in WSU's pocket is nothing to sneeze at. But I get your point, too.

I think I might have a good suggestion that would work........ In the past, when have Coug fans typically left the game? Halftime....... I suggest keeping beer sales at halftime only by reopening the Field House (reentry configuration is a given) with cash only sales (have ATMs on site.. another revenue generator) as to reduce wait times. Maybe this is done already? IDK.

I love this idea.

I would add seats to it though. Maybe four total rows (in front closer to the field) and then a spacious curved open area for beer tables and cocktail height tables (sort of like Mariners Safeco Field centerfield beer garden). I'd leave the space as open as possible and over engineer it so as for big games they can close the beer garden to erect more seating (temporary bleachers).

If WSU were to build a platform in the east endzone and place a beer garden there, the east endzone would always be full.

Reactions: CPtheCoug
Same guy who did the revenue projections on the stadium debt and ops Bldg.

So, what were the revenue projections for the addition of club seats and boxes? I vaguely recall WSU said the addition would bring in $3.5 million to $4 million, and the TV revenue would eventually top $21 million. If WSU is short of that, then how short? Or has it matched or exceeded those figures, assuming those were the actual projections?

Same guy who did the revenue projections on the stadium debt and ops Bldg.

What were the exact projections? How far off are we? Does principal paid on long term debt show up in the income statement? It doesn't? If not then why are we losing money? If we never remodeled the stadium/FOB would we be income positive? Can you be sure? You can't? Then stop talking out your ass man. Lol

What were the exact projections? How far off are we? Does principal paid on long term debt show up in the income statement? It doesn't? If not then why are we losing money? If we never remodeled the stadium/FOB would we be income positive? Can you be sure? You can't? Then stop talking out your ass man. Lol

And you can't be sure the other way - the only thing you can be sure of are the numbers that are published and the last budget surplus in the WSU athletic department was in 2010.

You can also be sure if you add principal payments, that cash had to come from somewhere (hint: the university general or contingency fund). Which means things are actually WORSE in terms of the athletic department's ability to perform financially as a stand alone entity. Two very simple lines on Cash Flow Statement: Payments on Long-term Debt (the money paid on the debt) , Proceeds from related-party (the money loaned from the university to the athletic department to make the payment). You really went down the wrong pathy on that one. Fund accounting works slightly differently than that - but in genera terms, that is what is going on for those familiar with a Statement of Cash Flows in the private sector. I work in forensic accounting - let's not even argue on this unless you want to pay my normal fee structure.

SEVEN years of talking out of my ass and farting red ink. And per President Schulz, another 3 years before break-even. All under the watch of the messiah.

Mark it down in ink - if break even doesn't happen within those three years, the messiah will be put out to pasture. Literally. In Valleyford where purportedly there are some cattle to go along with the hat.

And you can't be sure the other way - the only thing you can be sure of are the numbers that are published and the last budget surplus in the WSU athletic department was in 2010.

You can also be sure if you add principal payments, that cash had to come from somewhere (hint: the university general or contingency fund). Which means things are actually WORSE in terms of the athletic department's ability to perform financially as a stand alone entity. Two very simple lines on Cash Flow Statement: Payments on Long-term Debt (the money paid on the debt) , Proceeds from related-party (the money loaned from the university to the athletic department to make the payment). You really went down the wrong pathy on that one. Fund accounting works slightly differently than that - but in genera terms, that is what is going on for those familiar with a Statement of Cash Flows in the private sector. I work in forensic accounting - let's not even argue on this unless you want to pay my normal fee structure.

SEVEN years of talking out of my ass and farting red ink. And per President Schulz, another 3 years before break-even. All under the watch of the messiah.

Mark it down in ink - if break even doesn't happen within those three years, the messiah will be put out to pasture. Literally. In Valleyford where purportedly there are some cattle to go along with the hat.

LOL more like forensic googling.

Allocated revenue from the University 'parent' does not show up on the athletic department's balance sheet a "due to related..." after receipt of funds. I also love how you refuse to give ground on my point about non-cash expenses over the previous week or so, but then try to lecture me on statement of cash flows lol.

Your prediction is also broad and irrelevant. Moos is aging and has been at wsu a number of years now. Green or red he's out in five or less... I mean the dude came out of retirement for this gig.

Last edited:

Allocated revenue from the University 'parent' does not show up on the athletic department's balance sheet a "due to related..." after receipt of funds. I also love how you refuse to give ground on my point about non-cash expenses over the previous week or so, but then try to lecture me on statement of cash flows lol.

Your prediction is also broad and irrelevant. Moos is aging and has been at wsu a number of years now. Green or red he's out in five or less... I mean the dude came out of retirement for this gig.

Uh--no, I have several decades worth of professional certifications, education and experience in the field. People have gone to jail because of my findings.

And go back and read what I wrote relative to 'similar to the private sector'. Not everyone is familiar with fund accounting concepts. But, indeed the university is footing the bill for those debt payments because the athletic department cannot generate the funds necessary to operate and service its debt on its own.

What non-cash expenses am I refusing to acknowledge? I said I was willing to grant allocation of out-of-state tuition, maybe even all tuition costs - there still remains an operating deficit in the department.

Allocation of university overhead isn't something that can just go away. Those expenses are allocated from the university for the portion attributable to the athletic department usage - just as every other entity within the system- stuff like janitorial payroll, utilities, etc - that is normal practice. Unless you are suggesting the dollars spent for things like the cleaning and maintaining the the football operations building doesn't really happen and the janitors are doing that out of the good of their heart. Those types of costs are hard dollars spent and run through a centralized accounting system operated by the university.

So, who in fact, is refusing to 'give ground'?

Keep getting further and further out of your element.

Uh--no, I have several decades worth of professional certifications, education and experience in the field. People have gone to jail because of my findings.

And go back and read what I wrote relative to 'similar to the private sector'. Not everyone is familiar with fund accounting concepts. But, indeed the university is footing the bill for those debt payments because the athletic department cannot generate the funds necessary to operate and service its debt on its own.

What non-cash expenses am I refusing to acknowledge? I said I was willing to grant allocation of out-of-state tuition, maybe even all tuition costs - there still remains an operating deficit in the department.

Allocation of university overhead isn't something that can just go away. Those expenses are allocated from the university for the portion attributable to the athletic department usage - just as every other entity within the system- stuff like janitorial payroll, utilities, etc - that is normal practice. Unless you are suggesting the dollars spent for things like the cleaning and maintaining the the football operations building doesn't really happen and the janitors are doing that out of the good of their heart. Those types of costs are hard dollars spent and run through a centralized accounting system operated by the university.

So, who in fact, is refusing to 'give ground'?

Keep getting further and further out of your element.

Lol you are literally not talking about anything impactful anymore. You are sprouting off random definitions and bragging about yourself. That's not going to win any disagreements man.

Last edited:
Reactions: YakiCoug
Lol you are literally not talking about anything impactful anymore. You are sprouting off random definitions and bragging about yourself. That's not going to win any disagreements man.
Without getting into the particular merits of anyone's argument, I'll tell you that Observer is right. The university is being forced to tighten its belt across the board because the athletic department has dug such a big hole. All campuses are cutting budgets again this year, trying to make up some cash. Positions are going unfilled, some campuses have new buildings being built with no new support staff (maintenance, custodians, etc.) being hired to service them (which is creating issues with union contracts). Class sizes are bumping up because filling faculty positions is being postponed (which is creating issues with faculty).

The legislature's tuition reduction hits at the same time, so WSU is overspent and now also has less revenue, so things aren't so rosy. It's not quite as bad as the recession of 2008-2011 - there's still a little money for training and reasonable travel - but things are getting looked at more closely now.

Without getting into the particular merits of anyone's argument, I'll tell you that Observer is right. The university is being forced to tighten its belt across the board because the athletic department has dug such a big hole. All campuses are cutting budgets again this year, trying to make up some cash. Positions are going unfilled, some campuses have new buildings being built with no new support staff (maintenance, custodians, etc.) being hired to service them (which is creating issues with union contracts). Class sizes are bumping up because filling faculty positions is being postponed (which is creating issues with faculty).

The legislature's tuition reduction hits at the same time, so WSU is overspent and now also has less revenue, so things aren't so rosy. It's not quite as bad as the recession of 2008-2011 - there's still a little money for training and reasonable travel - but things are getting looked at more closely now.

Wait...Observer is right?!?

Who knew? And thanks for acknowledging. Your points are correct - the university as a whole is bearing the burden of the AD.

BTW, I never used the words 'allocated revenue". Talk about making stuff up and spouting off where there's no concept.

Revenue is rarely if ever allocated. Expenses and overhead virtually always are.

I used the words "Proceeds from Loan, related party". In fund accounting, it would be considered a "Due To General Fund/University/Contingent Fund" -wherever the source of funds used to pay on the debt came from.

Right about what exactly? There was never a dispute about the University issuing funds to the Athletic Department....

BTW, I never used the words 'allocated revenue". Talk about making stuff up and spouting off where there's no concept.

Revenue is rarely if ever allocated. Expenses and overhead virtually always are.

I used the words "Proceeds from Loan, related party". In fund accounting, it would be considered a "Due To General Fund/University/Contingent Fund" -wherever the source of funds used to pay on the debt came from.

That's not how the University accounts for it, if you actually looked at their annual reports you would know this already...

This is getting cyclical...

Reactions: YakiCoug
That's not how the University accounts for it, if you actually looked at their annual reports you would know this already...

This is getting cyclical...

I have - and you continue to fail to read what I wrote in equating it to a private sector Statement of Cash Flows.

The Athletic Department is $50.7 million in the hole to the the university. It will be approaching $66 million by 2019.

All is well, because the guy who ran that will be gone because he came out of retirement in the first place - which he didn't because he was fired at Oregon. Technically he resigned and was bought out. Call that a 'retirement' if you like. That's semantics. He was broomed out the door at Oregon.

All is well indeed. Enjoy worship service at the temple.

I have - and you continue to fail to read what I wrote in equating it to a private sector Statement of Cash Flows.

The Athletic Department is $50.7 million in the hole to the the university. It will be approaching $66 million by 2019.

All is well, because the guy who ran that will be gone because he came out of retirement in the first place - which he didn't because he was fired at Oregon. Technically he resigned and was bought out. Call that a 'retirement' if you like. That's semantics. He was broomed out the door at Oregon.

All is well indeed. Enjoy worship service at the temple.

I ignore your posts because they are garbage! You are repeating titles and definitions, and then mistake elevator analysis for actual substantial conversation, you aren't saying anything! You provide no context or show any sign of understanding perspective. Then you layer on false implications that I worship Moos? You kidding me?

I ignore your posts because they are garbage! You are repeating titles and definitions, and then mistake elevator analysis for actual substantial conversation, you aren't saying anything! You provide no context or show any sign of understanding perspective. Then you layer on false implications that I worship Moos? You kidding me?

No.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT