ADVERTISEMENT

Beginning of the end for the SEC?

Stretch 74

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
Maybe it is, if they are starting to go down the road of political correctness. This has to be a joke, selecting this person as Player of the Week.

BTW, I thought there are rules in place that require a specified number of practices before being allowed to take part in a contact situation. Did she meet that requirement or was it ignored in order to make this politically correct statement? I wonder....

Reactions: HCoug
What a publicity stunt. Frankly I'm surprised someone hasn't beaten them to the punch on this. I mean these days, all one has to do is say "I identify as a woman" and you'll be treated accordingly. I sure wish the owner of our company would identify as a minority woman so we would get some of those fat government contracts! But he's a 70 year old white guy who built his company from the ground up so we're at the bottom of the government pecking order!
(rant over)

Reactions: earldacoug
The kick off was a squib kick, does that really count? The left tackle could have done that. I find it amazing that the SEC is tacking credit for this "first woman" stuff. The red carpet was rolled out for this woman at Vandy, and very little mention of the woman that paved the way for her. Apparently no one remembers Katie Hnida, who actually kicked a couple of extra points in a D1 game, and suited up for a power 5 team, but left the power 5 team due to sexual harassment and rape. Katie had to fight her way up, no red carpet for this woman, she deserves far more credit for what she did 15-20 years than the Vandy player does today. Google Katie Hnida, and read a few stories, the hell she went through just 18 years ago, would never happen today.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
819e1649bbdc5fae2e89bb1ead792050.jpg

Let's petition to nominate Kathy Ireland to the collegiate all century team then.

Can y'all at least mark your political talk as such so I can just skip political threads? Thanks.

Don't be so sensitive. Talking about a particular play in a football game is not Political. And there is a difference between political discussions and discussions about being politically correct. If you look through each of the posts in the thread you will find no references to Democrats, Republicans, liberals, or conservatives.

I've dealt with too many bulls**t threads on this board this year (especially with a pandemic and election season) that I'm over it all.

Just throw an OT on the thread is all I'm asking.

FWIW, she's the lone kicker on the roster this week.

Reactions: sellas
Maybe it is, if they are starting to go down the road of political correctness. This has to be a joke, selecting this person as Player of the Week.

BTW, I thought there are rules in place that require a specified number of practices before being allowed to take part in a contact situation. Did she meet that requirement or was it ignored in order to make this politically correct statement? I wonder....

I am sorry that a feel good story causes you to go so hyperbolic and to top that off with a breitbart link.

Reactions: sellas
The thread remains incomplete until the (inapposite) "I bet she could kick better than the guys complaining on this thread" post. Always chuckle at those.

More generally, this isn't that big of a deal.

I've dealt with too many bulls**t threads on this board this year (especially with a pandemic and election season) that I'm over it all.

Just throw an OT on the thread is all I'm asking.

FWIW, she's the lone kicker on the roster this week.
She's a kicker.

On a football team.

In the SEC.

Why, pray tell, would that be OT on a football board?

You said it yourself: you're over it all, so just skip the thread if it bothers you that much.

But it is relevant to college football.

Reactions: HCoug and royhobbs2

Don't be so sensitive. Talking about a particular play in a football game is not Political. And there is a difference between political discussions and discussions about being politically correct. If you look through each of the posts in the thread you will find no references to Democrats, Republicans, liberals, or conservatives.

Ironic, considering that some of you are getting big mad about a girl kicking a football

I posted this on another forum, so apologies in advance for the redundancy.

I hope that Vandy kicker keeps her job for the remainder of the season. My 14 year old boys have been locked onto their video games in a zombie-like state since COVID hit, and laughing together at the ridiculousness of that kickoff last weekend was a breakthrough for us. Please let her try a 40 yard FG. Hell, let her handle punting duties too.

This issue harkens me back to a John McEnroe interview a few years ago when he was asked how Serena Williams would do if she competed on the men's tennis tour. McEnroe said she'd be ranked 700th in the world. Now, keep in mind this wasn't an unsolicited comment. He was asked how she'd do. Sure enough, news outlets were enraged at him and demanded an apology, which he refused to give.

So, yea. Think of me as the John McEnroe of this thread. That "kick," regardless of how the mainstream news outlets are positioning it, reaffirmed what most people think about women's athletics but are afraid to say publicly. Calling it a "historic moment" in women's athletics is a kick in the gut to all of the female athletes who really are true pioneers. Don't worry though, with the emergence of transgenderism, women will soon have their breakthrough moments in mens sports. Bio-women, however, will be begin to get phased out of high level amateur athletics (Olympics, major college sports) in the coming years.

She's a kicker.

On a football team.

In the SEC.

Why, pray tell, would that be OT on a football board?

You said it yourself: you're over it all, so just skip the thread if it bothers you that much.

But it is relevant to college football.

Considering the name of this thread is "Beginning of the end for the SEC?"...and it realistically nothing to do with the end of the SEC.

If this is what ends the SEC, then whoa Nelly.

Considering the name of this thread is "Beginning of the end for the SEC?"...and it realistically nothing to do with the end of the SEC.

If this is what ends the SEC, then whoa Nelly.
agree. The thread name is over the top.

That being said, I don't think anyone here, including myself, has an issue with a female playing for a D1 team per se. The issue arises from the #mememe generation creating a story where there isn't one, and as one other poster noted, lying their asses off while doing it. She isn't a groundbreaker, Katie Hnida was. She isn't actually even doing the job - at least not yet. She squib kicked.

I'm not saying that she can't kick off, but if the plan was to squib kick why spend a roster spot on someone who's not going to be on the team permanently? The answer is as a publicity stunt. Actually, thats giving them too much credit - I think they were actually so self absorbed that they hadn't even considered what Ms. Hnida had done before them and actually think they are the first.

I don't give two fcks if genderless Eliot Page comes out and kicks as long as they take the job seriously and aren't claiming to do what no one else has before them (which in this case, they actually would be since to my knowledge there hasn't been a non-binary trans D1 player before.)

I think the SEC thought their time was done when Mike Price took the Alabama job .

Hey, everybody else has weighed in. I don't think anybody can label me as reactionary under normal circumstances. So here goes.

When the decision is made to award "POTW" for a gimmick, rather than for actual performance, then it invites ridicule. She didn't kick it out of the end zone, or win the game with 4 field goals in windy conditions, or make the TD saving tackle when the rest of the coverage whiffed...or even manage the successful completion of an onside kick when everybody knows that it is coming. Those are all legitimate, achievement-based reasons to award player of the week to a kicker.

She was awarded POTW for showing up. From an achievement lens, that was it. I fully supported the idea that a school would go recruit their excellent goalie to handle place kicking when every kicker on the football roster was in quarantine. That is not a gimmick, that is necessity being the mother of invention. I applauded her appearance and effort. But POTW? That just demeans the award.

I'm sure some of you disagree. And for the record, I am also against participation trophies in youth sports past about the 2nd grade. I think that also sends the wrong message.

Hey, everybody else has weighed in. I don't think anybody can label me as reactionary under normal circumstances. So here goes.

When the decision is made to award "POTW" for a gimmick, rather than for actual performance, then it invites ridicule. She didn't kick it out of the end zone, or win the game with 4 field goals in windy conditions, or make the TD saving tackle when the rest of the coverage whiffed...or even manage the successful completion of an onside kick when everybody knows that it is coming. Those are all legitimate, achievement-based reasons to award player of the week to a kicker.

She was awarded POTW for showing up. From an achievement lens, that was it. I fully supported the idea that a school would go recruit their excellent goalie to handle place kicking when every kicker on the football roster was in quarantine. That is not a gimmick, that is necessity being the mother of invention. I applauded her appearance and effort. But POTW? That just demeans the award.

I'm sure some of you disagree. And for the record, I am also against participation trophies in youth sports past about the 2nd grade. I think that also sends the wrong message.
I agree. Has anyone mentioned they also lost 41-0? I think it’s great that a female played in a P5 game and should be celebrated but the POW thing is stupid. Also the old Herm line...”you play to win the game”. They got F’ing blown off the field, all of this celebration (especially from the Vandy side) despite this is a little insulting to sport IMO. If I was a linebacker on Vandy who got embarrassed on the field and everyone is celebrating like we won the Super Bowl I’d be extra pissed. I appreciate watching women’s sports when they are competing their asses off, even if the athleticism and skill level doesn’t rise to the men’s level, but all the post game hoopla around this for a team that got destroyed is a joke.

I don't disagree, necessarily. If there were no legitimately solid special teams performances in the SEC last week, then sure, acknowledge the moment. If a solid performance was slighted just to give it to the girl, then I'm not on board.

Either way, there's a number of ways I don't like how this was billed. It's all about creating new milestones and new distinctions. Women have occasionally kicked in college football for going on 25 years. They've even scored points - first in the NAIA (she's an eye doc now - actually got an exam from her once), then in D-1AA, then Katie Hnida in D-1A. This weekend, they decided that even though New Mexico is in the highest classification of CFB (D-1, or what used to be D-1A), it's not quite high enough, we have to create a new distinction and say it's the first woman to play in a Power 5 game.

Just another example of moving the goalposts to make something look significant again. It really shouldn't be that big a deal at this point. If they really want a big PR bump, line her up for a FG...and then fake it and have her run for a TD.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
It’s a kicker. The only people arguing over a kicker are you dummies in this thread.

No one cares about the kicker.

I think what was lost at first glance is that they just didn't run her out for a meaningless kick like previous women kickers. My understanding is she was their kicker, period. The fact that she got only one kick because they never scored and never got within FG range is also pretty remarkable. The kick she made was actually pretty skillful. It sounds like she will be their kicker again this week. I'm not sure if this is POTW material, but taking over a starting job in the SEC for two games is something. Plus, if the games weren't so deadly dull, this might not be such a big thing...

It’s a kicker. The only people arguing over a kicker are you dummies in this thread.

No one cares about the kicker.
Until the kicker misses a field goal and you lose 60-59

Reactions: COUGinNCW
Until the kicker misses a field goal and you lose 60-59

Was that the game Cal returned 2 kicks for touchdowns and Leach fired the special teams coordinator during the game?

Reactions: cougcowboy
Was that the game Cal returned 2 kicks for touchdowns and Leach fired the special teams coordinator during the game?

Yup, that’s the one. Leach managed to give up 60+ to Cal and UCLA, including what? 4 kick returns in 2 games?

He pissed away more games he should have won than won games he should have lost.

He's a frustrating coach on some levels. Top to bottom, the guy manages a football program as well as the very best in the business. Structure, discipline, conditioning, weight room, training table, accountability. He's top level in those areas.

What's frustrating is that his downsides have become significant, but they're also totally correctable. Tweak your damn offense to feature a more modern run/pass QB. Add 10-15% more running plays. They don't have to be between the tackles. Run your QB a bit. Fly sweep more. Simple stuff. Lastly, recognize that you're not as young as you used to be and lean more heavily on an OC who can help with in-game management. The addition of a more mobile QB and running plays will take care a lot of the end of game clock management, short yardage, and goal line issues.

He's just so damn stubborn.

He pissed away more games he should have won than won games he should have lost.
The only one that I think really fits in the latter category is the 2012 Apple Cup. I think the rest of the games he should have lost...he did.

Edit: 2017 Boise State too. Although you could also argue we never should have been so far behind.

He's a frustrating coach on some levels. Top to bottom, the guy manages a football program as well as the very best in the business. Structure, discipline, conditioning, weight room, training table, accountability. He's top level in those areas.

What's frustrating is that his downsides have become significant, but they're also totally correctable. Tweak your damn offense to feature a more modern run/pass QB. Add 10-15% more running plays. They don't have to be between the tackles. Run your QB a bit. Fly sweep more. Simple stuff. Lastly, recognize that you're not as young as you used to be and lean more heavily on an OC who can help with in-game management. The addition of a more mobile QB and running plays will take care a lot of the end of game clock management, short yardage, and goal line issues.

He's just so damn stubborn.

He either runs the ball more so the defense has to adjust or he will be run out of MSU in short order.

His stubbornness is now bordering ignorance. He is a magician whose crowd knows all the secrets.

He either runs the ball more so the defense has to adjust or he will be run out of MSU in short order.

His stubbornness is now bordering ignorance. He is a magician whose crowd knows all the secrets.

Biggs, rather than suggesting that his stubbornness borders on ignorance, I'd suggest that it borders on arrogance. Though they are not mutually exclusive....

Reactions: 79COUG
Biggs, rather than suggesting that his stubbornness borders on ignorance, I'd suggest that it borders on arrogance. Though they are not mutually exclusive....

Sure that too.

I dunno why he wouldnt line up with 3 backs (2 wrs as backs) and 2 wrs wide and run it down defenses throats. When they sub in the 4th DL shift two backs into the slot and run air raid at them with tempo to trap their bog bodies on the field.

Get creative to win some games. 6-7 his last year here and pissing away so many games or just not even scoring for shit was just lame.

Anyways, dead horse beaten.

Speaking of ignorance. It’s like you cued yourself.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Gib, did someone pee in your breakfast cereal again? Be happy. We are fortunate; we are Cougs. We liked the place where we spent some of the best years of our lives. We share enough of the bond that our experiences provided over that time and our subsequent following of events in Pullman that we are drawn to this board. Let's just all have a good time. I'm stressed enough about having to deal with the added layer of covid cr*p.

Gib, did someone pee in your breakfast cereal again? Be happy. We are fortunate; we are Cougs. We liked the place where we spent some of the best years of our lives. We share enough of the bond that our experiences provided over that time and our subsequent following of events in Pullman that we are drawn to this board. Let's just all have a good time. I'm stressed enough about having to deal with the added layer of covid cr*p.

He is a dope. You words won’t help.

Since you’re playing the even handed peacemaker role, what comments do you you offer Biggs? Or are you just letting him wallow in his ignorance?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT