ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest game since March 7, 1983? Bigger?

Cougsocal

Hall Of Fame
Sep 5, 2010
Call me old school, but in my mind you are the real conference champion if you win the 10 week, round robin slog, the 18 or 20 game competition against your brethren, not by winning 3 games in Las Vegas over a weekend. I know that is sacrilege these days. But if you are like me, and believe that championships are really won by beating the man who beat the man, figuratively, and not during a made for TV spectacle, you have to go back to "the game," March 7, 1983, when late in the year, the second place Cougs played first place Ucla with a conference championship on the line, for a Cougar basketball game to have so much meaning. It is now the 11-3 Mildcats, "the conference destroyer" against our beloved "conference torch holding" 11-4 Cougs. Frankly, this game has more meaning than 1983, as it is the last one, in a world that is hell bent on destroying everything that made college sports "the passion" that American pro sports are not.

Cherish the moment!

Call me old school, but in my mind you are the real conference champion if you win the 10 week, round robin slog, the 18 or 20 game competition against your brethren, not by winning 3 games in Las Vegas over a weekend. I know that is sacrilege these days.
Not sacrilege at all. I think you'll find many, including me, that feel the same.

For the most part I agree but the ladies winning the PAC12 tournament last year was a lot of fun and special.
It’s really quite simple. When the Cougs finish first in season conference, we are conference champions. When we win the conference tourney we are conference champions. The conference is there for the taking. Although zona is a very good team, this Coug team can beat them. Would be a special win.

Reactions: Coug4 life
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT