ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Games

OrangeGravy

Head Coach
Nov 13, 2017
From a fan perspective ONLY. To most, again MOST fans, do bowl games even mean anything anymore? I'm not getting into how much they mean to the players and program. That can't be argued against for the most part.

Outside of the few big bowl games (even these are devalued now in my opinion) do most fans even care anymore? I know I don't. I'd be just as satisfied with the 7/8/9/10 win season if it ended after the last game. I can passively watch a few of them, but even ours I'll just have it on. It's not an event. Only the 2 fan bases involved even remember or care who won.

Again, I'm not speaking to what it means to the program/team/players. This is more of a Macro college football question.

If you mean do they mean anything to fans in terms of being able to see the team play on TV?

Or are you asking about actually attending a bowl?

If the former, then definitely they have meaning. One more chance to enjoy football season.

If the latter, it depends upon the city in which the bowl is held. Certain locations definitely hold more appeal than others!

From a fan perspective ONLY. To most, again MOST fans, do bowl games even mean anything anymore? I'm not getting into how much they mean to the players and program. That can't be argued against for the most part.

Outside of the few big bowl games (even these are devalued now in my opinion) do most fans even care anymore? I know I don't. I'd be just as satisfied with the 7/8/9/10 win season if it ended after the last game. I can passively watch a few of them, but even ours I'll just have it on. It's not an event. Only the 2 fan bases involved even remember or care who won.

Again, I'm not speaking to what it means to the program/team/players. This is more of a Macro college football question.

Im going to be in Phoenix from December 22 to 27. The Cheez It Bowl is on the evening of the 27th. So, I’m certain that the Cougs will make the Cheez It.

I've gone to the last four bowl games and as a fan, I have enjoyed the excuse to go to San Diego, San Francisco (complicated but we bought airline tickets expecting to be at the Redbox Bowl instead of Holiday Bowl in 2017), and San Antonio. As mentioned above, destination matters. We'll strongly consider going to Fort Worth if we end up there because I'd love to see TCU's stadium in person and it's an easy drive for me. If we end up in Memphis (another hypothetical).....I'd think about going.

I always enjoy one last opportunity to see our team play before we spiral into the pit of despair that is WSU basketball. That said, I don't really feel like we'll make the trip to any of the lower tier Pac-12 bowls. I'll watch them on TV and root for the Cougs and I wouldn't want to get rid of bowl games, but I'm ready to take a break from spending a pile of money on a trip at the end of the year to go to cities and stadiums that I've been to recently.

Reactions: Fab5Coug and walzuu

Two more weeks of practice is always huge for a program like ours with limited depth.

from a fan perspective of course I’d rather Cougs be in a top tier bowl but I’m kinda excited about a quick trip to Vegas or Phoenix. Easy, cheap to get to, nice weather, Vegas with a bunch of Cougs would be epic.

Reactions: metprof
So many bowls that now its embarrassing to not make it to one.
I agree and that's part of my point. It's not even an accomplishment anymore. It's more a low water mark. Making a bowl game used to mean you had a great season. Now it's hopefully just the a program's floor.

Hell yeah they mean something. Extra reps, extra trophies, bragging rights

Some are better than others but rumors of their demise have been greatly exaggerated

Extra reps of course. I'm not speaking about for the team/players. This is just from a fan's perspective. Trophies/bragging rights, I would extend to being relevant to the team/players unless it's a bigger bowl and/or against a big time name program. Bragging rights in my mind for beating Iowa State last year ( I can't even remember which bowl it was ) only extends to the players.
It's always better to win than to lose for the kids and for the fans. For me personally, Unless the bowl matchup brings some cache' if you win or the bowl game itself brings some cache', it's meaningless. No game is meaningless for the kids. I'm only talking about fans. Using last year's bowl game as an example again. It was a lose/lose game in my mind for both teams. Zero cred for winning and losing tarnishes your good season in the greater CFB perception world. I'd rather have the season end at 10 wins than play that game as a fan. If there weren't 50 bowl games and it was hard to make it to one my outlook would be different.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Extra reps of course. I'm not speaking about for the team/players. This is just from a fan's perspective. Trophies/bragging rights, I would extend to being relevant to the team/players unless it's a bigger bowl and/or against a big time name program. Bragging rights in my mind for beating Iowa State last year ( I can't even remember which bowl it was ) only extends to the players.
It's always better to win than to lose for the kids and for the fans. For me personally, Unless the bowl matchup brings some cache' if you win or the bowl game itself brings some cache', it's meaningless. No game is meaningless for the kids. I'm only talking about fans. Using last year's bowl game as an example again. It was a lose/lose game in my mind for both teams. Zero cred for winning and losing tarnishes your good season in the greater CFB perception world. I'd rather have the season end at 10 wins than play that game as a fan. If there weren't 50 bowl games and it was hard to make it to one my outlook would be different.
Ive chimed in many times on this: do not care for the "werew making miney for some no-name sponsor and all their cronies" bowl. I mean, with all the talk of the players being exploited vis a vis paying them in CA, these lower teir bowls are the epitome of exploitation.

I fully inderstand the benefits for the team - the school not so much. Usually its a net negative as far as money is concerned. As a fan its a lose-lose : if we win we shoulda won; if we lose its "how could you".

Cheezeit looks to be any one of the B12 also-rans not named Baylor or OK. Vegas will be Trucker JC.

Outside of the playoff and the other two Big 6 bowls, they really hold no interest for me ither than one more chance to roit for my team. But playing for the coveted Cheezeit memorial trophy doesnt really get me fired up.

They are important

Bowl games do mean something.

The mean 1 last chance to see your team play before the season is over usually playing a team they hadn't played before regularly which is exciting.

So far we've played the following in the Leach era-

Colorado State
Miami
Michigan State
Minnesota
Iowa State

All interesting teams that we normally wouldn't play in a 12 game season, and that's part of the fun.

Also we get a almost an extra two weeks of practices (which is critically important for next year's development)

And we have gotten to travel to the following places to see us play

El Paso
San Diego x 2
San Antonio
New Mexico

That's exciting to go places.

Yes the big bowls are cool, yes the National title is the most important, but not every team gets to play in those games, and thus bowl season exists and it's fun. It's one more game to enjoy the team and school you love in a different setting against a different opponent

I agree and that's part of my point. It's not even an accomplishment anymore. It's more a low water mark. Making a bowl game used to mean you had a great season. Now it's hopefully just the a program's floor.
Yes, but if we go to a bowl this year, I don't care what bowl, I don't care if it's played in a high school stadium, I will be glad we are there and I will shut up and enjoy the game.

Reactions: metprof
I dunno Petey is pretty proud of his Heart of Dallas Bowl trophy.

There was a graphic during the game yesterday showing Stanford as having the longest bowl streak in the conference at 10 with WSU being number 4, with 4. Assuming Stanford's streak is done, having the 3rd longest streak in conference is a nice little recruiting tool.

There was a graphic during the game yesterday showing Stanford as having the longest bowl streak in the conference at 10 with WSU being number 4, with 4. Assuming Stanford's streak is done, having the 3rd longest streak in conference is a nice little recruiting tool.

And that runs 100% counter to the arguments above that making a bowl game is embarrassing. FWIW, if it's so damned easy to make a bowl game, how is that 4 in a row puts us in the upper rung of the conference? (not directed at COUGinNW).

Man, even the Alamo Bowl is a "no name", "who cares" bowl to you? So, pretty much playoffs and NY6 bowls only? That's a high bar.

Ive chimed in many times on this: do not care for the "werew making miney for some no-name sponsor and all their cronies" bowl. I mean, with all the talk of the players being exploited vis a vis paying them in CA, these lower teir bowls are the epitome of exploitation.

I fully inderstand the benefits for the team - the school not so much. Usually its a net negative as far as money is concerned. As a fan its a lose-lose : if we win we shoulda won; if we lose its "how could you".

Cheezeit looks to be any one of the B12 also-rans not named Baylor or OK. Vegas will be Trucker JC.

Outside of the playoff and the other two Big 6 bowls, they really hold no interest for me ither than one more chance to roit for my team. But playing for the coveted Cheezeit memorial trophy doesnt really get me fired up.

I wonder if some of the seniors who played in that New Mexico Bowl feel like they were being exploited. What did Nolan Washington or Damante Horton or Casey Locker think about it?

Reactions: taf88
I have a different take on the Bowl games. To me is does not matter what bowl game we go to. All the bowl games are televised and I travel when I can. If one of our players can make that one impressive play or have an outstanding day stat wise to get noticed for draft day it is all good. Plus it helps with recruiting if we continue going to bowl games. It about everyone enjoying their time at WSU as a player, student and a fan.

I wonder if some of the seniors who played in that New Mexico Bowl feel like they were being exploited. What did Nolan Washington or Damante Horton or Casey Locker think about it?

I have a feeling they enjoyed their swag and the experience, since it was their only opportunity. But I haven’t asked.

In addition to all the other points made, I just like having more football on TV. Even random lower-tier bowls are better (to me) than curling, women's tennis, NBA basketball, chipmunks on waterskis, or whatever other garbage would be on instead.

If someone doesn't value a particular bowl or think it's that big of a deal, no problem. I don't understand calls to get rid of the games, though. Who is harmed if some mediocre MAC team plays a mediocre ACC team in some random bowl? Those who want to watch can, and those who think there are too many games and don't want to aren't forced to.

I enjoy whatever bowl game we go to because its one more chance to see players who are going to graduate and go on with their lives and to develop younger players and of course, see the team for one more year. Of course it also helps recruiting so I will always do what I do if we go to one this year - buy a couple of bowl game t-shirts for my kid and me, figure out a way to watch the game and cheer them on because they are my team and the school I went to. I really don't care what bowl they go to, I want one more chance to cheer them on.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I couldn't give a rat's ass about the 2nd, 3rd, 4th tier bowls.......unless we're playing in it. Then I'll stuff my fat ass in a plane seat and go see it because it's THE bowl game.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT