ADVERTISEMENT

Brand X: Ann McCoy "uniquely qualified" to lead WSU Athletics into Pac-2 era

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
The article says Mrs. McCoy went on a statewide media tour in May, a likely indicator Dr. Schultz will promote her from "interim AD" before too long.

From the article:

"McCoy came into the blitz with a series of victories to direct the narrative. Since taking over for Pat Chun on March 27, she wrapped up a contract with The CW Network and FOX Sports to broadcast the Cougars' six home football games; announced a two-year home in the Mountain West for Cougar baseball and swimming; hired two new head coaches; and extended Kamie Ethridge."

Brand X says Ann came across as "knowledgeable, skilled, measured and personable. That's the holy quad of professionalism for an athletic director."

So far, so good.

She's been at WSU for a long time. Nice to see Dr. Schultz reward someone for being loyal.

12469295.png

Last edited:
The article says Mrs. McCoy went on a statewide media tour in May, a likely indicator Dr. Schultz will promote her from "interim AD" before too long.

From the article:

"McCoy came into the blitz with a series of victories to direct the narrative. Since taking over for Pat Chun on March 27, she wrapped up a contract with The CW Network and FOX Sports to broadcast the Cougars' six home football games; announced a two-year home in the Mountain West for Cougar baseball and swimming; hired two new head coaches; and extended Kamie Ethridge."

Brand X says Ann came across as "knowledgeable, skilled, measured and personable. That's the holy quad of professionalism for an athletic director."

So far, so good.

She's been at WSU for a long time. Nice to see Dr. Schultz reward someone for being loyal.

12469295.png
Well Brand X is in full kiss-ass mode again. Where to start.

"Before becoming WSU interim AD, she oversaw all aspects of day-to-day operations in WSU athletics." Really. So what were Chun and all the other Associate AD's doing?

Why didn't Chun take her with him? Why didn't Sterk? Why didn't Moos? He took John Johnson with him. Kamie got the typical one-year extension. Earth-shattering. Our entire BB team left, and we hired a Big Sky coach. Major victory! We limped into the lame CW TV contract. Wow! She has done wonders drumming up Cougar support for the Apple Cup. Oh, wait, we have sold 1,700 tickets.

Speaking of Johnson, who has been the AD at 3 stops along with 15 years as WSU's #2 guy, he recently resigned from PSU to get closer to ailing parents. I assume that means Spokane where he grew up. Well Pullman is pretty close to Spokane.

"Uniquely qualified". Oh, in what ways?

I could go on all day.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
Well Brand X is in full kiss-ass mode again. Where to start.

"Before becoming WSU interim AD, she oversaw all aspects of day-to-day operations in WSU athletics." Really. So what were Chun and all the other Associate AD's doing?

Why didn't Chun take her with him? Why didn't Sterk? Why didn't Moos? He took John Johnson with him. Kamie got the typical one-year extension. Earth-shattering. Our entire BB team left, and we hired a Big Sky coach. Major victory! We limped into the lame CW TV contract. Wow! She has done wonders drumming up Cougar support for the Apple Cup. Oh, wait, we have sold 1,700 tickets.

Speaking of Johnson, who has been the AD at 3 stops along with 15 years as WSU's #2 guy, he recently resigned from PSU to get closer to ailing parents. I assume that means Spokane where he grew up. Well Pullman is pretty close to Spokane.

"Uniquely qualified". Oh, in what ways?

I could go on all day.
“Uniquely qualified” = she’s in Pullman already, and we can hire her for less than anyone else.

We need new blood. It's that simple. We are in a situation where we need new thinking, new leadership and a new vision. I am sure she's nice and all, but WSU athletics is mediocrity and unfortunately, she's a part of the reason for mediocrity.

Reactions: 425cougfan
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different results. Meh. Sounds like classic WSU. The only time they have ever stepped out of the box was hiring Mike Leach, which worked out nicely.

Puff piece building support for a cheap internal promotion of a career subordinate ... man, that is hard to imagine from Brand X.

Well hey, everyone seems to agree on this topic. Except one poster, but Pete doesn't count. :)

:)

Well I'm no expert - that's for sure.

Just think it's nice to see a person like Mrs. McCoy who's been loyal to WSU for a long time get an opportunity. I wish her the best and hope it works out for everyone

Puff piece building support for a cheap internal promotion of a career subordinate ... man, that is hard to imagine from Brand X.

425, I try to read Brand X on a regular basis (they seem to have more news articles than CougZone)_ and they do tend to have an optimistic tone which I admit I appreciate.

It did seem like Brand X had it out for Coach Leach, but I never really heard a reason why. I don't know if it was personal or they didn't like his style of play or something else unrelated to football?

425, I try to read Brand X on a regular basis (they seem to have more news articles than CougZone)_ and they do tend to have an optimistic tone which I admit I appreciate.

It did seem like Brand X had it out for Coach Leach, but I never really heard a reason why. I don't know if it was personal or they didn't like his style of play or something else unrelated to football?
I don't know why either, but they wrote something shitty. Then when the Brand X guy pissed Leach off at a press conference and Leach reamed him a new one, that was it. Optimistic = major butt kissing to get inside interviews and info. That said, I do read them often, as they do get good info.

:)

Well I'm no expert - that's for sure.

Just think it's nice to see a person like Mrs. McCoy who's been loyal to WSU for a long time get an opportunity. I wish her the best and hope it works out for everyone
Pete - Anne has been loyal to WSU because she has had zero opportunities to advance anywhere else. Like a lot of people at WSU. Nothing wrong with that, just don't mistake loyalty for no place else to go because you ain't that great. Let's compare her to John David Wicker, the SDSU AD, who I believe makes Buco bucks. I knew him, great guy with a bigtime Southern drawl. He was an underling at WSU, was there at the same time as Anne (how many years I can't remember), but he was a go getter and has done great things with his career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT