ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Out of Corvallis

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Gary Andersen is out as Oregon State head coach. He has waived all his rights under the contract, including $$$, so it looks like he wanted to leave as well. Clearly wasn't working.

Honest question: why not hold out for the buyout? Obviously they wanted him out, get some $$ for the trouble?

Honest question: why not hold out for the buyout? Obviously they wanted him out, get some $$ for the trouble?

My only thought was it had become so untenable between him & the AD, that it was best for his mental health to just walk away. Unfortunate for the kids who just signed there, but that's how it goes sometimes.

I wonder if Riley lasts beyond this year at NU. Could be Riley v3.0 at OSU.

Andersen's willingness to walk away without any $$ $ shows he wanted to leave just as much as they wanted to fire him. I'm sure some of the wealthy boosters have been vocal behind the scenes. And perhaps Andersen and that new AD didn't hit it off either. Feel sorry for the guys like Hodgins and Watson that decommitted from WSU and signed with Oregon State. Looks like they made a poor choice.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
The joke on the OSU site is that Andersen is now one of the biggest donors in OSU history,

The joke on the OSU site is that Andersen is now one of the biggest donors in OSU history,
Right?

I mean, I get being mad and quitting your job, but this isn't Joe Schmoe and his 50K/ year gig. He walked away from millions - I don't care how bad you've got it, that's just dumb.

*edit - I just want to go on record as saying : I've thought that the buyouts have been bad business all along. They are bad for college football and the universities.

It appears that Anderson was being magnanimous in walking away from his contract, which if true he should be lauded for. Perhaps he felt that he failed in his duties as coach and wasn't owed anything else - kudos to him. That being said, the die has already been cast vis a vis coaches buyouts and he should have gotten his.

Last edited:
While i admire the man .it was plain stupidity. He should have waited and made some money as he went out the door. A few million up front would have set him up for life

The one player the cougs may be interested in is 6'4 330 DL Craig Evans who has not suited up for OSU this year. He is a highly touted player who left Michigan State after a failed drug test. He committed to OSU but is not grade eligible. I am not sure these are sterling credentials but he certainly has the talent.

he's through as a head coach, he's a quitter and will not be trusted again. aside from the fact that he clearly can't build a team, the Beavers are on the verge of going back to the dark age of beaver football
probably true at this level, but i could see him becoming head man at an fcs school maybe, or a coordinator someplace. once you've been a head coach at a p5 school (2 in anderson's case), you are not likely to struggle finding work somewhere afterward. shit, paul wulff is still employed in some capacity...

The one player the cougs may be interested in is 6'4 330 DL Craig Evans who has not suited up for OSU this year. He is a highly touted player who left Michigan State after a failed drug test. He committed to OSU but is not grade eligible. I am not sure these are sterling credentials but he certainly has the talent.
Uh, no thanks.

What good is having a kid take up a scholarship who'll never see the field because he can't get his sh!t straight.

I guess if he walked on...

Reactions: Fab5Coug

Drug & grade issues? Sounds right up Leach's alley. /sarc

Ironically, OSU's lone DT commit is Isaac Hodgins, brother of Isaiah. Would be ironic to flip him.

Reactions: earldacoug
We judge others by their actions (for coaches, their win/loss record), yet we judge ourselves by our intentions. I mentioned at the beginning of the season that something felt off with him, that he seemed wound way too tight.

In trying to read his personality type, I think he was caught between his own frustrations of not living up to his own high expectations, and battling the criticisms of boosters and others close to the program.

For him, I think it was a matter of conscience. Not the wisest decision, but if that is the case, the world needs more men and women of principle like that.

I think he is a good coach, just the wrong team at the wrong time, and that he had way too much to deal with, given how things had gone so downhill before he got there. Just guessing, but seems he gave it everything he had and it just wasn't going to be enough in the time frame given him.

The camera catches coaches in all their glory, but coaching is often a brutal career choice—on the coaches and their families.

Andersen's willingness to walk away without any $$ $ shows he wanted to leave just as much as they wanted to fire him. I'm sure some of the wealthy boosters have been vocal behind the scenes. And perhaps Andersen and that new AD didn't hit it off either. Feel sorry for the guys like Hodgins and Watson that decommitted from WSU and signed with Oregon State. Looks like they made a poor choice.

Even if he was caught snorting cocaine off a hooker’s backside while funneling cash to recruits and putting peanut butter on you bagels, don’t quit. Make them fire you. That’s why contracts have liquidated damages provisions. There was somewhere around $12 million on table.

Of course he could reached a buyout that hasn’t been announced.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Even if he was caught snorting cocaine off a hooker’s backside while funneling cash to recruits and putting peanut butter on you bagels, don’t quit. Make them fire you. That’s why contracts have liquidated damages provisions. There was somewhere around $12 million on table.

Of course he could reached a buyout that hasn’t been announced.

Yeah. Just ask Leach.

Question? Why did Anderson leave Wisconsin for Oregon State? That's a big step down.

Second. Someone has to be at the bottom.
Oregon State, with the exception of a few years, simple is not a competitive football D1 school. Frankly, I don't think it will ever be. Your'e never going to attract talent there, with the exception of a good season every 15 years.

Their brand is too weak.

Anderson first coaching change that's a victim of December early signing period ? If a school is going to dump their coach, can't afford to wait until the season is over. A new coach needs to have a staff together and get after recruiting asap. So if OS was done with Anderson I can see why they didn't wait any longer.

I doubt they go back to Riley. Jonathan Smith or Beau Baldwin would be who I would look at.

For some rebuilds, I'm beginning to think you start by taking 22 high school kids, 3 best available JC guys regardless of position, to hell with redshirting and end platooning. If you've got guys that can give you snaps both ways, do it.

You can't sit kids for a redshirt year if they can give you reps. You can't sit in living rooms telling recruits they won't play right away. You need all hands on deck in every capacity. Don't leave talent on the sideline. Go down swinging every game. Play as many guys as possible in as many ways as possible.

Question? Why did Anderson leave Wisconsin for Oregon State? That's a big step down.

Second. Someone has to be at the bottom.
Oregon State, with the exception of a few years, simple is not a competitive football D1 school. Frankly, I don't think it will ever be. Your'e never going to attract talent there, with the exception of a good season every 15 years.

Their brand is too weak.

Andersen reportedly left Wisconsin because he didn't like the recruiting philosophy that they tried to impose on him there, and had issues with admissions standards. He also reportedly wanted to get back out west for family reasons (which I read to say the weather in Madison probably really sucked).

Everything you say about Oregon State could have been said about WSU a decade ago.

Reactions: kugrz98
I doubt they go back to Riley. Jonathan Smith or Beau Baldwin would be who I would look at.

For some rebuilds, I'm beginning to think you start by taking 22 high school kids, 3 best available JC guys regardless of position, to hell with redshirting and end platooning. If you've got guys that can give you snaps both ways, do it.

You can't sit kids for a redshirt year if they can give you reps. You can't sit in living rooms telling recruits they won't play right away. You need all hands on deck in every capacity. Don't leave talent on the sideline. Go down swinging every game. Play as many guys as possible in as many ways as possible.

Here here. I've been saying for a while, "F red shirts". Too much can happen in 5 years. Injuries, grades, transfers, Johnny Law, NFL. Get the reps from the players while you can.

There are obvious exceptions (QBs & OL that need to grow), but other than that, get out there LBs, DBs, RBs & WRs.

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggsCoug
Wulff tried to sell us on his pie in the sky, ideal roster with 20 red shirt seniors and a lot of people bought it. "Hey, look out for us in 5 years when we have 60 upperclassmen on our roster". And big shocker, it didn't work. But we got to hear about how great the redshirting freshmen were while we were getting our doors blown off by 50 every week.

Wulff tried to sell us on his pie in the sky, ideal roster with 20 red shirt seniors and a lot of people bought it. "Hey, look out for us in 5 years when we have 60 upperclassmen on our roster". And big shocker, it didn't work. But we got to hear about how great the redshirting freshmen were while we were getting our doors blown off by 50 every week.

The best guys we had weren’t playing.

Glory days!

the big problem was that after they did start playing we still got our doors blown off

God, Canzano is a real piece of work. I mean, shame on CGA for texting someone like Canzano this crap to begin with, but obviously he did it in confidence.
For what its worth (and I'm not huge Canzano fan either) he did report on his radio show Tuesday that Anderson had okayed his releasing of most of the texts--some were restricted.

God, Canzano is a real piece of work. I mean, shame on CGA for texting someone like Canzano this crap to begin with, but obviously he did it in confidence.
i don't know. however unwise an attempt it is, these texts seem like anderson trying to save face a little. it seems possible that he sent them in the hopes that they'd somehow come out in the end, given the way they paint him as the "old school," "doing things the right way" guy and his assistants as selfish and "don't care about the kids." there's a whiff of "doth protest too much" to them.

also, any communication with a reporter that isn't expressly off the record is fair game, and someone like anderson should know that when he's communicating with a sports reporter.

It says right in the article Andersen knew the texts would be published.
It reads to me that he informed Anderson he was going to publish them, which is far different from "hey Gar buddy, wondering what your thoughts were on my going to press with all that sh!t talking you texted me in confidence earlier in the season, and since we're such good pals you'll be fine with that, right?"

Sorry, but Canzano is the bottom of the barrel and has proven it time and time again.

It reads to me that he informed Anderson he was going to publish them, which is far different from "hey Gar buddy, wondering what your thoughts were on my going to press with all that sh!t talking you texted me in confidence earlier in the season, and since we're such good pals you'll be fine with that, right?"

Sorry, but Canzano is the bottom of the barrel and has proven it time and time again.

I don't think he can do that. He would have to clarify they were on the record first.

I don't think he can do that. He would have to clarify they were on the record first.

What's the consequence for Canzano? He burns a source that is likely never going to coach in Oregon again. It's not like the media police will knock on his door and arrest him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT