ADVERTISEMENT

BSB: Marty Lees fired as baseball coach

I don't know how many years he had left (probably 1 or 2?) but believe his salary was $250K. Hopefully he didn't have the "Moos rollovers".

Surprised they fired before the final home series. Strange timing for us and wonder what exactly was behind it.

It had to be done. Getting it done early signals to those who have interest that the position is open, before they move another direction. And it is always possible that there is someone already in the wings, a la Moos's trips to Florida to get CML lined up.

Good move and understandable timing.

CML (the baseball one) compiled a 68-136-2 record (including 31-71-2 in the Pac-12) record in not quite 4 seasons as WSU's skipper.

Any idea what went wrong?

Might Coach Lees have righted the ship if he'd been given the time to take advantage of WSU's massive facilities upgrade for baseball?

Announced a short time ago. Chun has now fired 3 of the 4 coaches of the major sports (FB, MBK, WBK, BSB) at WSU since taking over as AD 17 months ago.

And, more importantly, successfully boxed out any potential suitors for the one coach who still has his job.

Well done Dr. Chun!

CML (the baseball one) compiled a 68-136-2 record (including 31-71-2 in the Pac-12) record in not quite 4 seasons as WSU's skipper.

Any idea what went wrong?

Might Coach Lees have righted the ship if he'd been given the time to take advantage of WSU's massive facilities upgrade for baseball?
I don't think so. There were so many moves that made me scratch my head during his games. Decisions so out of the box, they wouldn't make sense. Stealing second (and getting caught) at the completely wrong time, as an example. This year reeked of desperate decisions.

Baseball isn't hard, really. Sure there's athletic ability. You gotta be able to throw. You gotta be able to swing the bat. But foundationally... just play solid ball. Errors. Bad decisions. No focus, all rampant throughout our games.

Are we as "athletic" as other programs? Certainly not. But we could have won several games this spring, if not for spoilers.

I had high hopes for this season. The Oregon Series just sucked the life out of me. Had 1 good, gritty win in extra innings. But man, that was a horrible series. I liked Lees but this needed to happen. I just expected it to happen after the season was over. This should wake up the players a bit. Their actions have serious ramifications. Seemed like they'd gotten a little lax in their actions... They'd written the season off already, kind of thing.

Reactions: Cougzz
Also, make no mistake... the fact that this last series with AZ is being televised on P12N was a factor. National commercial that WSU is looking for a coach.

Reactions: 79COUG
Not entirely surprising to me although I expected Lees to be allowed another year with a change of the pitching coach. I noticed in Chun's supporting comments about lees that he showed determination and passion for the job. No mention of the leadership or skill necessary for the position. An AD's announced support for a troubled coach is always a red flag. The way he worded his support was another.

It is my uneducated opinion that Chun has already spent a deal of time listing candidates to approach. Would not be surprised if the new coach is not announced until after the Omaha tournament. Our tradition and the new facilities should prove attractive to a number of proven leaders and young up-and-comers. We should have a bit of a wait until the replacement is named.

Reports on the internet- and the internet is always accurate, isn't it?- of dissension between the coaches and between some of the players gave me the impression that the team was increasingly dysfunctional. If the reports are true then Chun had little choice other than to opt for a reset and start over.

Lees put himself out on a narrow plank when he cut loose a bunch of kids to make room for the ones he wanted, and 3 or 4 of the ones cut loose were starting in various programs the next year. We could have used them. Created a lot of bad feeling. It was a high risk move at the time, and I remember thinking that if he got that wrong, a lot of his teflon would be shredded.

A little surprised with both the decision and the timing, but certainly justified based on the results. Lees didn't get as much time as Kent but that's probably a function of affordability– Lees didn't have the multi-million dollar contract that needed to be paid off. Lees was considered a potential successor to Pat Casey at OSU at one time....but he certainly didn't show that kind of ability in Pullman. Too bad.

Hey, maybe Donnie Marbut will be rehired? George Horton at UO will probably be available. (Please, no). Seriously, there should be some good candidates out there who want to coach in one of the nation's best baseball conferences.

Glad Cougar

WOW... the timing is decisive. Just... wow.

Wow is right - did not see that coming at all. Kinda sucks for the Lees family since the wife was the Baseball admin.

I can't help but think there had to be some personality/mental something here. Sometimes great assistants are meant to stay as assistants. Seems like the case here, because the resume looked good.

I can't help but think there had to be some personality/mental something here.

Interesting insight, Loyal.

I was guessing sub-standard recruiting and player development might be the issues, so interested to hear your diagnosis of Coach Lees’ mental disorder and how it impacted Cougar baseball.

Reactions: taf88
I am guessing that Chun was thinking about making a change because of the way the season has played out, but the embarrassing 20-13 loss to Utah Valley probably sealed the deal.

I'm hearing that players came to Chun about transferring... Obviously the internet is always correct but still a possibility.

Can Phipps be far behind? Non-revenue sports should not be treated as "retirement watch" hires, as they have in the past, but buyouts? Really! It is a touch hypocritical to play up Moos' financial irresponsiblity, and then turn around and needlessly crank up the debt. Just let contracts expire on underperforming non-revenue programs. If Chun is inclined to spend money we don't have, how about true bonuses for overachievement, i.e. VB, Soc. I just don't see how a quick hook mentality at a school that has a bit of a career killer reputation helps. It just means that quality resume hires are going to demand greater guarrantees up front. Seriously, who will want the baseball job now? Only the desperate, the underqualified or the greatly overpayed..

Can Phipps be far behind? Non-revenue sports should not be treated as "retirement watch" hires, as they have in the past, but buyouts? Really! It is a touch hypocritical to play up Moos' financial irresponsiblity, and then turn around and needlessly crank up the debt. Just let contracts expire on underperforming non-revenue programs. If Chun is inclined to spend money we don't have, how about true bonuses for overachievement, i.e. VB, Soc. I just don't see how a quick hook mentality at a school that has a bit of a career killer reputation helps. It just means that quality resume hires are going to demand greater guarrantees up front. Seriously, who will want the baseball job now? Only the desperate, the underqualified or the greatly overpayed..

What the hell are you talking about? Quick hook? Marty Lees had 4 years to turn the baseball team around. He was 70-137-2 in 4 years. Only won 27 games the last two years and only 11 conference games. Nothing quick about that. Making a huge leap that Chun is racking up the debt. Unlike a lot of sports at WSU, WSU baseball actually has tradition. It had two coaches over a 67 year period who were very successful. There is a lot former players that have interest in the program. Money came from them, like the clubhouse. A lot of proud players from the Brayton years are pretty disgusted with what Lees has done. I bet a lot of people would be interested in coaching one of the best conferences, for a school that has a rich tradition in baseball, and who's about to open a new baseball complex.

And bonuses for volleyball and soccer? Those coaches got new contracts.

https://wsucougars.com/news/2018/12...erger-signs-contract-extension.aspx?path=wsoc

https://wsucougars.com/news/2019/1/...nd-wsu-agree-to-new-contract.aspx?path=wvball

What the hell are you talking about? Quick hook? Marty Lees had 4 years to turn the baseball team around. He was 70-137-2 in 4 years. Only won 27 games the last two years and only 11 conference games. Nothing quick about that. Making a huge leap that Chun is racking up the debt. Unlike a lot of sports at WSU, WSU baseball actually has tradition. It had two coaches over a 67 year period who were very successful. There is a lot former players that have interest in the program. Money came from them, like the clubhouse. A lot of proud players from the Brayton years are pretty disgusted with what Lees has done. I bet a lot of people would be interested in coaching one of the best conferences, for a school that has a rich tradition in baseball, and who's about to open a new baseball complex.

Right on. I don't have the long list of Cougar baseball players who have given and/or involved beyond the obvious (Olerud, probably Hendrickson, Hatteberg,...……….) but I am certain that they have given more money than the former basketball players - and I bet they come close or maybe exceed FB players. That would be an interesting comparison, huh? Giving by players by sport?

I tried to cut Lees slack because of the recruiting cycle - your first year is 100% previous signees - meaning he really only had 3 years to build "his" team. But his roster purge, and seeing that some of those guys went on to be quite successful elsewhere, cancels that slack. And then his third class is 17 guys. Shouldn't his first class been 17 guys, given that he purged the roster. Or for sure his 2nd?

Just looking at his face, I think he was one of those hard ass, arrogant, my way or else guys who thought he knew it all because "his" previous teams were good. Maybe I'm wrong, never met the man, but that is my sense.

Funny, Bobo was probably about the most no-nonsense coach there was. But his players adored him. And that was a different time.

Could be quid pro quo....maybe some of those former MLB guys said "Look, I"m not going to write checks unless this or that happens....and that doesn't include more of the same". So it could be addition my subtraction.

Dan Dakich, who can sometimes be an idiot, had an interesting take on the twitter a couple days ago - as it relates to the skyrocketing salaries and contracts paid to collegiate coaches - essentially it was "It's an honor and a privilege to represent an academic institution - it's not an honor to have you coach at said institution"....which falls more in line with the merit-based compensation vs. the just enter into big multi-year deals with buyouts and such....

Chun may be teeing up the baseline for the future by biting the bullet now and moving on.

https://wsucougars.com/news/2018/12...erger-signs-contract-extension.aspx?path=wsoc

https://wsucougars.com/news/2019/1/...nd-wsu-agree-to-new-contract.aspx?path=wvball

A "quick hook" is any time you fire someone before his contract expires, it athletic department parlance. A renegotiation is business, not a bonus. A bonus is a payment or other benefit that you provide purely out of gratitude for services rendered. It is the type of behavior that you hope engenders loyalty. Lees was a crappy coach and deserved to be fired. The deeper question is firing him now in the best long term interest of an athletic dept. and baseball program that have been struggling for decades. Two Pac-12 championships in 20 years, 1 national championship in 80 years and most program mired at the bottom of the conference. It has been like that since Sam left. and then you start not honoring your commitment in a non-revenue sport?

The deeper question is firing him now in the best long term interest of an athletic dept. and baseball program that have been struggling for decades. Two Pac-12 championships in 20 years, 1 national championship in 80 years and most program mired at the bottom of the conference.

SoCal,

You bring up some legitimate points for discussion, but to echo Brent and The Observer, Dr. Schultz's and Dr. Chun's hands may have been tied on this decision by a few of the big-money boosters footing the bill for the new baseball facilities.

As much as many people believe every college coach ought to get 5 full years to put his or her stamp on a program, there is the rare exception.

In this case — as with Cougar Football — getting top-notch facilities in place probably needs to be Priority No. 1 to return Cougar Baseball to an elite level.

Reactions: mikalalas
A "quick hook" is any time you fire someone before his contract expires, it athletic department parlance. A renegotiation is business, not a bonus. A bonus is a payment or other benefit that you provide purely out of gratitude for services rendered. It is the type of behavior that you hope engenders loyalty. Lees was a crappy coach and deserved to be fired. The deeper question is firing him now in the best long term interest of an athletic dept. and baseball program that have been struggling for decades. Two Pac-12 championships in 20 years, 1 national championship in 80 years and most program mired at the bottom of the conference. It has been like that since Sam left. and then you start not honoring your commitment in a non-revenue sport?

Um, a couple of nitpicks.
I would bet that 95% of coaches who get fired are let go before their contract expires. I would not equate that to a quick hook.

"Bonuses" in athletics department parlance, are performance incentives written into a contract, not something provided purely out of gratitude.

FB, Soccer, VB, Tennis and crew are not mired at the bottom of the Pac 12.

Lees' "commitment" will be paid. EK's too.

Reactions: Coug1990
Congrats are in order for rowing's last place finish and tennis' outstanding 3-7 performance.

Congrats are in order for rowing's last place finish and tennis' outstanding 3-7 performance.
rowing didn't do well this year but they've been a perennial for quite some time.

Last edited by a moderator:

You raise a great question from an economics standpoint . And a health of the department standpoint as well. What is the economic or even program impact if he is retained to the end of his contract?

Lees was deprived of the windfall from the facilities improvements. He was so close to getting it done, but the proverbial rug was pulled. Same thing happened to Wulff ...

Lees was deprived of the windfall from the facilities improvements. He was so close to getting it done, but the proverbial rug was pulled. Same thing happened to Wulff ...

Good point, Yaki.

Who knows what CPW had in store had he returned for his 5th season, but when a guy like CML wants the job, even a well-liked alumnus has to step aside.

Everything worked out for the best even if a few feelings were hurt along the way.

Lees was deprived of the windfall from the facilities improvements. He was so close to getting it done, but the proverbial rug was pulled. Same thing happened to Wulff ...[/QUOTE
wulff got the quick hook, one more year and we would only have been losing 40-0 instead of 60-0

Good point, Yaki.

Who knows what CPW had in store had he returned for his 5th season, but when a guy like CML wants the job, even a well-liked alumnus has to step aside.

Everything worked out for the best even if a few feelings were hurt along the way.
Really?
That is like asking what Mohamed Atta had in mind if he had the opportunity to hijack a 2nd plane "Does Atta decide to land it this time"?

What Coach Flounder had in store for Year 5 was more losses.

Only at WSU do they argue whether a 9-40 football coach deserved a 5th year.

In the SEC it is whether he deserved a 5th game - in 2008.

Who knows what CPW had in store but I know full well what the rest of us expected.

Some suspected what wulff had in store one way or another for 2012. I think most people knew what to expect with wulff

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT