ADVERTISEMENT

Can they just make an exception for Old Crimson?

Earlier thread on this below. They'll find a way to make an exception. No worries. Disney owns ESPN...or vice versa.

Credit to Mikalalas for the original idea, but I still see Corso, responding to a flag conspicuous in its absence, exclaiming, "Not so fast, my friends... " and then bringing Old Crimson from where mascot heads are typically stored. You will then see the entire crew raising the flag high to the roar of Cougars who then flood the stage.

Earlier thread on this below. They'll find a way to make an exception. No worries. Disney owns ESPN...or vice versa.
Need to act quickly. President Schultz has to get involved. He was Prez here so we know him well enough to assure he will want to keep the tradition going. But he needs to talk to those decision makers @ Disney ASAP!
Good luck.
Long live Old Crimson @ Gameday(s)
&
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

Credit to Mikalalas for the original idea, but I still see Corso, responding to a flag conspicuous in its absence, exclaiming, "Not so fast, my friends... " and then bringing Old Crimson from where mascot heads are typically stored. You will then see the entire crew raising the flag high to the roar of Cougars who then flood the stage.
Post here again when that is set in stone.
Good luck:)

That would be pretty great. I could see it being something as simple as just having the flag mounted on a standard indoor flag pole off to the side without much fanfare but getting a quick mention at some point. Not as fun...but keeping the streak alive.

It's not Game Day without flags, banners and signs, might as well call this show something different, because it won't look like a game day set.

Reactions: 79COUG
It's not Game Day without flags, banners and signs, might as well call this show something different, because it won't look like a game day set.
Agree. Rather odd to have a Game Day at a location with no actual game. ESPN/Disney apparently wants to draw attention-- i.e. advertising- to the Disney brand. I do not think that they considered the effect on the actual Game Day experience. Or maybe Disney rules that particular roost and just doesn't care.

Disney is all about protecting the brand and image of its key assets at all costs, and Disney owns a majority stake in ESPN, not the other way around. As crazy as it seems, I wouldn't be surprised if the flag fails to appear at this stupid advertising edition of the show. If some executive at Disney who doesn't give a particular damn about CGD or the tradition holds firm that there can't be any signs or flags, lest Disney's reputation be besmirched by a sign that says something Mickey Mouse wouldn't approve of in the same frame as Cinderella's castle, that will be how it goes down. That said, if I had to bet, they'll find a way to get the WSU flag on the set at some point and in some manner, so as to be able to say it appeared, even if it's Corso holding up a little handheld one or something.

That said, if I had to bet, they'll find a way to get the WSU flag on the set at some point and in some manner, so as to be able to say it appeared, even if it's Corso holding up a little handheld one or something.
This goes back a couple years, but you made me think of this:

Maybe it has kind of run its course.
I thought the goal was to get GameDay to Pullman.
Mission Accomplished....

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Maybe it has kind of run its course.
I thought the goal was to get GameDay to Pullman.
Mission Accomplished....
I don't know about it's running it's course. Still a pretty cool thing that keeps the brand out there. But I do believe that originally that was the goal.. to fly it at GD until they came to Pullman.

Reactions: mikalalas
I don't know if any of you are members of the "Ol' Crimson Network" on Facebook, but it's the pseudo official group for the flag that gets waved every week. Tom Pounds, originator of the flag streak, posted on there that this year's flag is on its way to Orlando today. The flag is dedicated to the memory of Keith Lincoln with a "In Memory of" patch in the lower corner. A comment was made that the Cougs that work for Disney and ESPN in Florida are "gonna make it happen".

On the comments above about "running its course", the motto for the flag before the Wulff years was, "If they won't bring Gameday to Pullman, we'll bring Pullman to Gameday". The streak stayed alive during the Wulff years of course, but I think it became less about getting Gameday to Pullman and more about Cougar Pride no matter what. If ESPN had come to Pullman in 2006 for the USC game, I'm betting that the flag streak would have died on the spot as mission accomplished. When the number of Gamedays exceeded 100, it had turned into something else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT