ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly

College coaches are tired of the constant recruiting. BC's coach left to be a DC with the Packers, likely for the same exact reason.

I suspect he and the AD weren't seeing eye to eye and Chip wanted the opportunity to land on his feet.

Chip wasn't a fan of UCLA leaving the Pac-12. Chip pretty much called his AD out for pulling the trigger on this.

I sense Chip knows it's going to be much more difficult for UCLA to win in their new conference due to the budget and resource constraints facing UCLA.

Feels like Chip put the middle finger up on the way out....remember they were flirting with firing him midseason.

Leaving UCLA to be OC at tOSU. Crazy

Leaving your HC position, when you have NOT been fired to take a LESSER POSITION, A DEMOTION, A OC position elsewhere SEEMS STUPID.

Now if he has been fired, and was then taking the Ohio St OC job, that would make more sense.

But your a HC at UCLA, so going from HC at UCLA to OC at Ohio St, when you haven't been fired, does not make sense.

Now if he was HC at a school like VANDY, etc, and he then left to be OC at Ohio St, when he hadn't been fired, then that would have made sense.

But big difference between UCLA and Vandy.

Leaving your HC position, when you have NOT been fired to take a LESSER POSITION, A DEMOTION, A OC position elsewhere SEEMS STUPID.

Now if he has been fired, and was then taking the Ohio St OC job, that would make more sense.

But your a HC at UCLA, so going from HC at UCLA to OC at Ohio St, when you haven't been fired, does not make sense.

Now if he was HC at a school like VANDY, etc, and he then left to be OC at Ohio St, when he hadn't been fired, then that would have made sense.

But big difference between UCLA and Vandy.
It's not a conventional move, but I think Chip could see he was at the risk of getting canned soon anyway, and he has made more than enough coaching to be set for life and set up a few generations for life at this point. I think Chip is really sick of what college football has become, especially since recruiting never was his favorite part of coaching. Coordinating a really good offense with a lot of talent, maybe winning a natty, and then getting some NFL looks, might be preferable to him to not having as many good options if getting fired next year. It doesn't help him maximize every dollar, but he obviously doesn't care.

So I completely get where you are coming from and agree this is a dumb move from a dollar maximizing perspective and would be a dumb move in even more ways for some other coaches, but for him, I get it and respect it. He's sick of the bullshit and has enough money and has done enough coaching where he'd rather do this than continue to do stuff he doesn't want to do.

Sounds like UCLA had become completely toxic for Chip Kelly and if that’s the case, I don’t blame him. I left a job that was toxic about 10 years ago and that turned out to be one of the best thing I did. I may not earn as much money as I used to but I am a lot happier and I am not working under such miserable conditions and no longer have to deal with a couple of a-holes. We spend a good chunk of our time on our jobs and being in an atmosphere where we are wanted and respected is important.

I think it really came down to UCLA’s poor NIL situation. He realized that he was never going to be able to compete recruiting wise, as ucla does support football at the level it needs. I think for him it was a smart move. I also think ucla is screwed. Besides the money, they’ll want to come back to the PAC, but can’t because of the money.

Contrary to popular belief, tOSU is not a professional program.
Hartline and Day will lead the recruiting charge for the offense. Chip can show up, vibe out in a room of game film, and game plan his heart away, while here and there shaking a few hands as recruits pass by.

It's not a conventional move, but I think Chip could see he was at the risk of getting canned soon anyway, and he has made more than enough coaching to be set for life and set up a few generations for life at this point. I think Chip is really sick of what college football has become, especially since recruiting never was his favorite part of coaching. Coordinating a really good offense with a lot of talent, maybe winning a natty, and then getting some NFL looks, might be preferable to him to not having as many good options if getting fired next year. It doesn't help him maximize every dollar, but he obviously doesn't care.

So I completely get where you are coming from and agree this is a dumb move from a dollar maximizing perspective and would be a dumb move in even more ways for some other coaches, but for him, I get it and respect it. He's sick of the bullshit and has enough money and has done enough coaching where he'd rather do this than continue to do stuff he doesn't want to do.
I never followed Chip much but did some looking. Wikipedia (go to the footnoted articles folks) has some interesting insight, or perhaps lack thereof. He apparently has a close circle of friends in New Hampshire (helluva lot closer from Ohio than LA), and his personal life is very closeted, and not in a gay way. So I can see where the LA lifestyle and the attention and demands of being HC coach at UCLA might not be his cup of tea.

I'm sure tOSU will pay him well, and if he can sort of operate out of the limelight seems like that might suit him fine. Good for him.

You guys have pretty much identified the issues. From my LA perspective:

- Chip did not have the money to compete.
- Chip thought the team would not be better than 0.500 (maybe not that good) in league play and he would be fired in 2 seasons (there would be a first season in the new league honeymoon period).
- After being fired his options would be limited.
- This opportunity came along (no telling for sure who approached who) and Chip decided to go.
- Jarmond (UCLA AD) came to UCLA from tOSU. This would seem to be ironic, unless there is more to the story of who approached Chip.
- Jarmond wanted to get back to the B10, per many reports. Speculation is rampant re: what he was offered to sell UCLA down the river with this move. USC money? B10 money? Media money? Promise of a AD job to follow in B10? Not choosing to stay in the PAC and be the big dog in the big recruiting market, rather than deliberately choosing to be an also-ran in SC's shadow is hard to figure any other way.
- Personally, I think Chip not only did not care for Jarmond, he also heard a lot of scuttle about Jarmond's B10 sellout (which I am told blindsided Chip). I'm pretty confident that tOSU explained that Jarmond would never, ever, be back in any position at tOSU before Chip signed on the dotted line.

Now Jarmond gets to hire someone to go into a losing situation, in a market where assistant coaches struggle to afford housing. Sure, he could do the whole nationwide search thing. I'm wondering if he will just promote the DC? Spring practice will be here before you know it.

I think it’s a great move, and I understand it completely. Chip has made hundreds of millions of dollars in salary alone, and he’s an intelligent guy. I’d imagine with investments his NET worth is over $500M. He’s sick of recruiting, NIL, and all that goes with it, but he wants to coach high level ball and call plays.

I’m surprised we don’t see more of this type of thing. Ask Bill Doba if he gets why Chip is doing this.

I think it’s a great move, and I understand it completely. Chip has made hundreds of millions of dollars in salary alone, and he’s an intelligent guy. I’d imagine with investments his NET worth is over $500M. He’s sick of recruiting, NIL, and all that goes with it, but he wants to coach high level ball and call plays.

I’m surprised we don’t see more of this type of thing. Ask Bill Doba if he gets why Chip is doing this.
I see former UW OC Grubb, who went to Alabama with DeBoer, hopped to the Seahawks as OC.

I suspect he and the AD weren't seeing eye to eye and Chip wanted the opportunity to land on his feet.

Chip wasn't a fan of UCLA leaving the Pac-12. Chip pretty much called his AD out for pulling the trigger on this.

I sense Chip knows it's going to be much more difficult for UCLA to win in their new conference due to the budget and resource constraints facing UCLA.

Feels like Chip put the middle finger up on the way out....remember they were flirting with firing him midseason.
Chip seems like a guy that if he cared to manage up would have multiple college NC and NFL titles. He did well in Philly. He was one of the great innovators of our time in college. I just think he doesn’t care for the BS that you have to deal with as a head coach and is happy doing his thing and being moderately successful. He’s obviously brilliant and a great coach otherwise b

Reactions: 425cougfan
Sounds like UCLA had become completely toxic for Chip Kelly and if that’s the case, I don’t blame him. I left a job that was toxic about 10 years ago and that turned out to be one of the best thing I did. I may not earn as much money as I used to but I am a lot happier and I am not working under such miserable conditions and no longer have to deal with a couple of a-holes. We spend a good chunk of our time on our jobs and being in an atmosphere where we are wanted and respected is important.
UCLA is toxic for everyone.

LA is a cesspool.

These guys share my sentiment.

I was down there in August, for the first time in a decade. Couldn’t find a single redeeming quality.

We went there for the LA Bowl. We enjoyed the beaches although it was too cold to swim because of the time of year. We walked around the Hermosa Beach area in the late evening and it was great weather and a good vibe. As a whole though, LA is definitely not a place that I relish visiting.

I was down there in August, for the first time in a decade. Couldn’t find a single redeeming quality.
Yeah LA is an "ugly pig," but most people disagree, and that is what counts. It is a worldwide vacation spot. A cracker box of a house goes for a million+, unless you shop in the poor neighborhoods, 650K in those. That only happens if demand greatly exceeds supply, and you are paid accordingly. I'm leaving LA and SoCal "for good" come July, retiring to the South, but that is because of expense, population density and the traffic. LA offers great weather, year round, and everything you could imagine to do, from surfing to skiing, on the same day. But because of the traffic, you just don't want to go anywhere or do anything.

People tend to greatly over rate where they live. They are the last to acknowledge that they live in a dump. It is a brand loyalty thing. For example, compared to cities like Tacoma, Spokane (lived in both places), San Francisco, Portland and Seattle, cities with much higher violent and property crime rates (Each in the bottom 1% in safety, nationally), and a whole bunch of crappy weather on top of that, LA is an"ugly pig," admittedly, but far more attractive than the west coast competition.

Pullman and Bend are the only towns in the NW I could see myself retiring to, when I think about it. Bremerton, Ellensburg, Moses Lake, Centralia, Everett, Tri Cities, Eugene, Medford, Yakima??? Hell no, kill me first!!

Reactions: 425cougfan
Yeah LA is an "ugly pig," but most people disagree, and that is what counts. It is a worldwide vacation spot. A cracker box of a house goes for a million+, unless you shop in the poor neighborhoods, 650K in those. That only happens if demand greatly exceeds supply, and you are paid accordingly. I'm leaving LA and SoCal "for good" come July, retiring to the South, but that is because of expense, population density and the traffic. LA offers great weather, year round, and everything you could imagine to do, from surfing to skiing, on the same day. But because of the traffic, you just don't want to go anywhere or do anything.

People tend to greatly over rate where they live. They are the last to acknowledge that they live in a dump. It is a brand loyalty thing. For example, compared to cities like Tacoma, Spokane (lived in both places), San Francisco, Portland and Seattle, cities with much higher violent and property crime rates (Each in the bottom 1% in safety, nationally), and a whole bunch of crappy weather on top of that, LA is an"ugly pig," admittedly, but far more attractive than the west coast competition.

Pullman and Bend are the only towns in the NW I could see myself retiring to, when I think about it. Bremerton, Ellensburg, Moses Lake, Centralia, Everett, Tri Cities, Eugene, Medford, Yakima??? Hell no, kill me first!!

One of my college roommates retired out of Boeing and moved to Pullman. He is enjoying his retirement going to Cougar sports events.

One of my college roommates retired out of Boeing and moved to Pullman. He is enjoying his retirement going to Cougar sports events.
Pullman was alway my retirement choice, a house across the road from Beasley, the dream. But the cost for what you get, homewise, and the insane winter cold snap of 1982-1983 made my wife and Ithink. Settled on Oxford MS. Far more house for the dollar, much warmer weather, the southern food culture and "the Grove" on football weekend. So the most expensive community, in the poorest state in the union, won out. I love a bargain! Will be a Coug for life, but I'm following the Rebels now too.

No way I’d surf in that water. Just looking at all the crap washed up on the beaches I don’t want to get in the water. Add in the ridiculous density, traffic, and smog, and I don’t even care to visit…forget living there.

But, the other larger cities you listed, I’m not interested in either. Bend and Pullman are a little closer to what I’d like - although Bend has become too much Portland, and Pullman year-round as a retiree doesn’t really sound that appealing. Winters in both can be pretty harsh too.

Not really sure where the ideal is going to be. My guess at the moment is international. And, in reality, based in n the path this country is on, I might not wait for retirement to flee.

No way I’d surf in that water. Just looking at all the crap washed up on the beaches I don’t want to get in the water. Add in the ridiculous density, traffic, and smog, and I don’t even care to visit…forget living there.

But, the other larger cities you listed, I’m not interested in either. Bend and Pullman are a little closer to what I’d like - although Bend has become too much Portland, and Pullman year-round as a retiree doesn’t really sound that appealing. Winters in both can be pretty harsh too.

Not really sure where the ideal is going to be. My guess at the moment is international. And, in reality, based in n the path this country is on, I might not wait for retirement to flee.
We mostly agreed, but you are wrong about the water. We aren't talking about Portland, Seattle, Tacoma. 95% of LA beaches, 75 miles, are rated an A or B. I assume the 5% is Long Beach and Rosie, which is "pet friendly." "The Beach" is where the uber rich own homes, they pay nearly the entire state tax bil and generally get what ever the hell they want, and let's not forget the beach is a huge tourist draw for LA -- enough said. However, in fairness, swimming is a no-no is after it rains, the storm drains empty and sewage facilities tend to overflow.

We mostly agreed, but you are wrong about the water. We aren't talking about Portland, Seattle, Tacoma. 95% of LA beaches, 75 miles, are rated an A or B. I assume the 5% is Long Beach and Rosie, which is "pet friendly." "The Beach" is where the uber rich own homes, they pay nearly the entire state tax bil and generally get what ever the hell they want, and let's not forget the beach is a huge tourist draw for LA -- enough said. However, in fairness, swimming is a no-no is after it rains, the storm drains empty and sewage facilities tend to overflow.
Long Beach, yes. Santa Monica was also covered with trash. Can’t remember which others we looked at. To be fair, we were there 2 days after whatever that hurricane this fall was…but I’ve seen more rain than that on a Tuesday in Seattle.

Been to LA multiple times and yes, it has great weather, but if one had to live there, it’s a complete nightmare whenever you want to do something or go somewhere. I can’t imagine having to deal with that daily.

Long Beach, yes. Santa Monica was also covered with trash. Can’t remember which others we looked at. To be fair, we were there 2 days after whatever that hurricane this fall was…but I’ve seen more rain than that on a Tuesday in Seattle.

So....the lowest point of our LA Bowl trip was walking down one of the staircases to get to the beach at Santa Moncia after we had walked up the hill to look at some of the tourist trap areas. Some homeless a$$hole had taken a dump on the stairs shortly before we walked that way. It's quite possible that there isn't a worse smell in the world than fresh human feces. I struggled to not throw up. Welcome to LA indeed. The worst part about that experience is there was a free bathroom at the top of the hill.

I'm thinking that my time will be split between SoCal and NorCal. I really like the west (Sonoma County) side of the Mayacamas, west of Calistoga. Oldest son is in that area. Youngest still in SoCal, though I think he wants to end up in greater San Diego. Part of my decision will revolve around where my kids are. I still have 2 years before it is relevant, so I'm kicking the can down the road for now.

Reactions: kougkurt
Back to Chip Kelly. First of all Chip has always been a bit different, called an innovator, I remember John Gruden saying how impressed he was to watch practices at Oregon, and the speed at which he ran a practice. Chip has done a good job of looking into the future, the fact he left UCLA, say a lot of Him, UCLA and the future of college football. First of all as many have mentioned, it's about quality of life, the portal and NIL has made coaching hell for many coaches. You have 20 year old kids demanding a 100,000 or more, or their leaving. So you have to pay to keep players, pay to find players, and pay to recruit players, in addition to that you have to coach, sounds like a nightmare to me. Next is UCLA, look at their travel schedule next year, Hawaii and the east coast, they will travel about 25-30,000 miles to the various road games, plus he lost his defense and defensive coaches, UCLA could easily be a 4-8 team next year, and Chip gets fired, might as well leave when you are in control of the situation. As for college football, we all know the challenges these days as a head coach, Chip and now focus on the x's and O's and forget about the rest.

Chip stepping down to a lesser position says a lot about the state of college football. Chip wasn't in favor of the move to the Big, and Chip supported WSU and OSU and said they deserve to belong on a power 5 conference, one of the few Pac 12 coaches to even mention WSU and OSU getting screwed. I don't think he likes what he sees in the future, and he just wants to focus on an offense for a team that will probably make the playoffs each year. He's 60 and probably working on his final exit plan, and he doesn't need the money.

Back to Chip Kelly. First of all Chip has always been a bit different, called an innovator, I remember John Gruden saying how impressed he was to watch practices at Oregon, and the speed at which he ran a practice. Chip has done a good job of looking into the future, the fact he left UCLA, say a lot of Him, UCLA and the future of college football. First of all as many have mentioned, it's about quality of life, the portal and NIL has made coaching hell for many coaches. You have 20 year old kids demanding a 100,000 or more, or their leaving. So you have to pay to keep players, pay to find players, and pay to recruit players, in addition to that you have to coach, sounds like a nightmare to me. Next is UCLA, look at their travel schedule next year, Hawaii and the east coast, they will travel about 25-30,000 miles to the various road games, plus he lost his defense and defensive coaches, UCLA could easily be a 4-8 team next year, and Chip gets fired, might as well leave when you are in control of the situation. As for college football, we all know the challenges these days as a head coach, Chip and now focus on the x's and O's and forget about the rest.

Chip stepping down to a lesser position says a lot about the state of college football. Chip wasn't in favor of the move to the Big, and Chip supported WSU and OSU and said they deserve to belong on a power 5 conference, one of the few Pac 12 coaches to even mention WSU and OSU getting screwed. I don't think he likes what he sees in the future, and he just wants to focus on an offense for a team that will probably make the playoffs each year. He's 60 and probably working on his final exit plan, and he doesn't need the money.

Yup. Pretty much agree with you on all of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT