ADVERTISEMENT

Claeys

Was TC connected to any of these coaches? I just don’t know who hired them . I do know when the first staff was hired Leach hired all the coaches and then hired the DC, so clearly he did that once I just don’t know if he did it a second time and hired coaches and asked TC to work with them .

Claeys and Phelps worked together at Minnesota. The rest of the coaches were hired after Claeys.

Sherman hasn't played since getting injured vs. Northern Colorado. Pladson did not play vs. UCLA or Houston....and only saw a couple of plays vs. Utah. So really, the games with the most egregious defensive problems took place with Woods, Rodgers, and Taylor starting...and Stone, Fa'ave and Tristan Brock coming off the bench. Of that group, Rodgers and Brock could be considered slow, IMO, but not so much the others who have been playing. They certainly aren't filling the gaps and their tackling skills are lacking. WSU truly needs to recruit and develop better linebackers.

Glad Cougar

Justus Rogers playing so many snaps has been the biggest head scratcher to me. You'd figure the coaches would be rotating in some of the other players as he's been playing 90%+ of the snaps when the games have been close. The lack of creativity in personnel was a head scratcher.

Sherman hasn't played since getting injured vs. Northern Colorado. Pladson did not play vs. UCLA or Houston....and only saw a couple of plays vs. Utah. So really, the games with the most egregious defensive problems took place with Woods, Rodgers, and Taylor starting...and Stone, Fa'ave and Tristan Brock coming off the bench. Of that group, Rodgers and Brock could be considered slow, IMO, but not so much the others who have been playing. They certainly aren't filling the gaps and their tackling skills are lacking. WSU truly needs to recruit and develop better linebackers.

Glad Cougar
Well, they were left on an island during the last game..let's not be throwing them under the bus. If you realized how many players paled on defense and what the depth chart looked like at the beginning of the season. Throw in the complete lack of depth. The challenge from here on out is going to be getting the best of those who still want to play.

This, imho, is simply the culmination of all the crap of the past two/three years coming to roost.

Losing coaches was bad, but even more we miss the recruiting. I'm assuming JS was bringing on the beef on the DL that we are desperately missing now, both in talent and depth.

Manning was the heart of the speed D and really connected with the kids on their level.

As much as we tried to "wdwha" the losses of our coaches, I feel that we're seeing the results now. TC simply jumped before the ship fully sunk.

Last edited:
Claeys and Phelps worked together at Minnesota. The rest of the coaches were hired after Claeys.

I know the connection between Phelps and TC. Just wondering how you came up with the connection to TC with the others and how you know they are “his” guys.

I know the connection between Phelps and TC. Just wondering how you came up with the connection to TC with the others and how you know they are “his” guys.

Is Leach is as hands off with the defense and has been reported for 8 seasons, why would we assume anyone other than Claeys is making defensive hires?

I know Leach gives his DC a lot of latitude but Leach is the head coach. Buck up and stick around to fix things. It’s really unfair to the players to bolt 5 games in.
Conversely, people won't be happy with continued losing but the move actually buys Leach time. "Hey look, things were so bad we had to make a move midseason. You can't reaaaally judge me until the new guy/s have an offseason or two to fix it." You don't get too many of these but CML has earned a couple and he will cash this one in this year, with us winless in conference so far and things not looking great.

Separately, I've gone on record saying I wish Leach would shift his interest from being quirky to winning hardware at all [ethical] costs, but I am not in the camp of people who think the existing Air Raid is a shell of itself because teams are adjusting. I think even an average defense that can put our offense back on the field a few more times per game would do wonders for people's perceptions of offensive efficacy...

I’m hoping Leach or the Spurrier family can use their connections to pull another rabbit out of the hat for new DC. But agree with BC&G - losing assistants hurts recruiting.

With our “Bye” week, I tabulated the number of 4 & 5 star commits over last 5 years:

WSU - (6) 4 stars
Mutts - (42) 4 stars
UO - (47) 4 stars & (1) 5 star = (48)
UCLA - (37) 4 stars & (6) 5 stars = (42)

Goes to show you that Leach does a heck of a job, taking us 11-2 last year.

Conversely, people won't be happy with continued losing but the move actually buys Leach time. "Hey look, things were so bad we had to make a move midseason. You can't reaaaally judge me until the new guy/s have an offseason or two to fix it." You don't get too many of these but CML has earned a couple and he will cash this one in this year, with us winless in conference so far and things not looking great.

Separately, I've gone on record saying I wish Leach would shift his interest from being quirky to winning hardware at all [ethical] costs, but I am not in the camp of people who think the existing Air Raid is a shell of itself because teams are adjusting. I think even an average defense that can put our offense back on the field a few more times per game would do wonders for people's perceptions of offensive efficacy...
Buys Leach time ? WTF the guy went 11-2 last year, are you nuts ?

I’m hoping Leach or the Spurrier family can use their connections to pull another rabbit out of the hat for new DC. But agree with BC&G - losing assistants hurts recruiting.

With our “Bye” week, I tabulated the number of 4 & 5 star commits over last 5 years:

WSU - (6) 4 stars
Mutts - (42) 4 stars
UO - (47) 4 stars & (1) 5 star = (48)
UCLA - (37) 4 stars & (6) 5 stars = (42)

Goes to show you that Leach does a heck of a job, taking us 11-2 last year.

Watching parts of Ore./Cal tonight I am now firmly convinced the 4&5 star players that go to Oregon are the ones that want showboat and not work hard.

That team will probably win a decent amount of games based on talent alone but no way does their overall performance match up with the amount of talent they have on the field. If Cal. had any semblance of an offense they would have won that game by 2 scores. Why Wilcox does not fire his offensive coordinator is a major mystery ?

Watching parts of Ore./Cal tonight I am now firmly convinced the 4&5 star players that go to Oregon are the ones that want showboat and not work hard.

That team will probably win a decent amount of games based on talent alone but no way does their overall performance match up with the amount of talent they have on the field. If Cal. had any semblance of an offense they would have won that game by 2 scores. Why Wilcox does not fire his offensive coordinator is a major mystery ?

Mainly coaching, but also character of the players they recruit

Cal is decent this year imo. No excuse for Oregon not to better than they are.

It’s gotta be less then 5% that this confrontation had anything to do with Leach other then the mandate to fix this issues. There has to be a large difference in Philosophy and personnel between Claeys and his assistants. There is a lot that didn’t add up about who was playing and where people we’re playing. If I had to guess one side really wanted to play the younger more talented guys, and the other wanted to go more towards a standard base scheme with older guys. Just my opinion, but the use of guys like Brown who showed he was much much better then Rodgers and Sherman etc in every way but saw little snaps likely contributed to the difference. Some of this younger bodies are easier to plug and play in a defense predicated on flying around, rather then plugging gaps. Just my 2 cents

And my guess is that Claeys was the one who wanted to play the older players, and the others wanted to play the younger more talented players like Travion Brown.

Claeys leaving has sparked a lot of conspiracy theories.

How about this one from BrandEd:

"To add insult to injury, Claeys felt misled by Leach and Chun during contract extension talks that Cougar Country Drive In would resume operation as an All You Can Eat facility"

Reactions: Ravenridge
And my guess is that Claeys was the one who wanted to play the older players, and the others wanted to play the younger more talented players like Travion Brown.
I think you are spot on with personnel decisions and Caeys, but I think Claeys was obviously calling all the slants and stunts that backfired, I understand why he did it-but it made for breakdowns and collapses imo. A new coach wants his own system not trying to hang on to what Grinch did.

Not sure it has anything to do with the OC. It's a talent issue and specifically a talent issue at QB.

Not sure it has anything to do with the OC. It's a talent issue and specifically a talent issue at QB.
Yup. Recruiting is more important here than coaching. Need to get talent. All the jimmy lake stuff that guy is a recruiting mercenary first and foremost, coach second. Similar to To$h.

Yup. Recruiting is more important here than coaching. Need to get talent. All the jimmy lake stuff that guy is a recruiting mercenary first and foremost, coach second. Similar to To$h.

We need a few recruiting aces on staff. Spurrier might be one but we don't have anyone else.

sure , "buys him time" for what ? is he on the hot seat for going 11-2 last year ?

"newcomer" haha are we counting posts here ?
No you dope. The fact that he has earned it is EXACTLY the point! So you come along and challenge me for pointing out that CML has earned patience, countering that... he has earned patience? You made my own point back to me as if it meant something. Insane.

Is Leach is as hands off with the defense and has been reported for 8 seasons, why would we assume anyone other than Claeys is making defensive hires?

I suppose we could make the assumption since Leach picked the 2012 staff before he hired a DC, and he seemed to have picked the 2013/14/15 staff and then hired a guy in 2018 that played for him, and there doesn't seem to be a connection with McBath and Shavers to Claeys, I would probably think Leach made the hires.

I suppose we could make the assumption since Leach picked the 2012 staff before he hired a DC, and he seemed to have picked the 2013/14/15 staff and then hired a guy in 2018 that played for him, and there doesn't seem to be a connection with McBath and Shavers to Claeys, I would probably think Leach made the hires.

In 2012, Leach was busy assembling a staff as quickly as possible. In 2013, Mastro recommended Wilson and given his great reputation as a coach... it was a no brainier. Gotta think Breske got the guy we wanted.

Roy Manning was hired after Grinch arrived. While there is no connection to Grinch, there was no connection to Leach either. Phelps was a Grinch hire. McBath was promoted by Grinch after a year as a grad assistant. While Leach may have set up the meeting, McBath is an NFL corner and was worth having on staff. He definitely proved himself.

Shaver has no ties to Leach either and was hired after Claeys.

Except for the initial hires, all info points to Leach letting his guys hire their staffs.

Reactions: cougarhawk1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT