ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Joe signs extension

Fab5Coug

Hall Of Fame
Nov 10, 2007
Per Brand X.

Big news. Amazing what investing in football and paying market wage will do.

You never know when coaches are going to move on but I would have been shocked to see Coach Salave'a take another gig this year even if it was to become DC.

Reactions: earldacoug
Why would you go somewhere to build a program only to leave once things started turning the right way? Especially if leaving meant going somewhere to essentially start the process over again???

This confirms Oregon was sniffing around. Or just a major coincidence that Coach Joe signs an extension on the heels of the extension he just recently signed?

On a lighter note, this board is effing garbage. Bunch of smart ass trolls with inferiority complexes.

Reactions: YakiCoug and 79COUG
Because for a lot of people, a job is a job and money is money and taking care of number one comes first - there is NO loyalty in college football, especially now. Leach has shown that he will throw any and every assistant coach under the bus if the perception is that they are under performing, even if it is with CPW's kids and only 2 years in. Not saying those weren't good moves, but the minute, nay second the DL becomes an area of concern Coach Joe's seat will be scorching hot, with CML stoking the fire.

I'm elated they took care of him and added stability for the next couple of years, as that's probably the length of our current window before we dip down to 5 and 6 wins seasons for a couple of years.
I get where you are both coming from and especially think Biggs points are sound as usual. However, I don't know that that either factor as much as they might in this specific case. If you believe what's been said about Salave'a he is a father figure to the Poly players especially those from AS. I know that hasn't amounted to a hill of beans for most coaches over the years but sure seems to be a real factor within the Poly culture.

Doesn't mean you can just ignore Salave'a and he will stick around no matter what but given all that's happened off the field I could not see him going anywhere at the moment.

Because for a lot of people, a job is a job and money is money and taking care of number one comes first - there is NO loyalty in college football, especially now. Leach has shown that he will throw any and every assistant coach under the bus if the perception is that they are under performing, even if it is with CPW's kids and only 2 years in. Not saying those weren't good moves, but the minute, nay second the DL becomes an area of concern Coach Joe's seat will be scorching hot, with CML stoking the fire.

I'm elated they took care of him and added stability for the next couple of years, as that's probably the length of our current window before we dip down to 5 and 6 wins seasons for a couple of years.

In other breaking news, this is the most asinine post I have read in a while.

You agree with CML firing certain coaches, but he threw them under the bus? It's one or the other, dude.

Your remark about CML stoking a fire under Coach Joe is simply stupid.

Jeez, thanks Chief Raincloud. Way to turn some positive news into a reason to gripe.

get a grip, and why will we dip down to 5-6 wins? recruiting is going well so we should see continued success, probably not 8-9 wins every year but better than 5

Every coach that got shit canned by Leach had multiple chances to correct the issues that got them gone. I have never felt like Leach unfairly or too quickly released a coach.

Reactions: YakiCoug

Baseless, and likely inaccurate, speculation. It's hard to see the DL becoming an area of concern, but how do you know Leach wouldn't show Joe some additional leeway, befitting both his track record and the loyalty he has shown Leach? Why do you think Salavea is sticking around with Leach instead of taking the jobs reportedly being dangled at places like USC, Oregon, and UW? Why do you think Jim Mastro is sticking around coaching RBs (and recruiting incredibly well) at a school running the Air Raid (and not the Pistol)? It's certainly not because Leach has them thinking he isn't a loyal guy or good to work for, and it sure as hell isn't because those guys couldn't get good jobs elsewhere.

As for that dipping down to 5 or 6 wins statement, I'm not saying there won't be some 5- or 6-win years, but what in particular are you basing that on?

In other breaking news, this is the most asinine post I have read in a while.

You agree with CML firing certain coaches, but he threw them under the bus? It's one or the other, dude.

Your remark about CML stoking a fire under Coach Joe is simply stupid.
your face is stupid

Baseless, and likely inaccurate, speculation. It's hard to see the DL becoming an area of concern, but how do you know Leach wouldn't show Joe some additional leeway, befitting both his track record and the loyalty he has shown Leach? Why do you think Salavea is sticking around with Leach instead of taking the jobs reportedly being dangled at places like USC, Oregon, and UW? Why do you think Jim Mastro is sticking around coaching RBs (and recruiting incredibly well) at a school running the Air Raid (and not the Pistol)? It's certainly not because Leach has them thinking he isn't a loyal guy or good to work for, and it sure as hell isn't because those guys couldn't get good jobs elsewhere.

As for that dipping down to 5 or 6 wins statement, I'm not saying there won't be some 5- or 6-win years, but what in particular are you basing that on?

Geezus, all of a sudden we are a perennial 8-9 win team? When did this happen? When did expectations change? Is it not popular belief that the Cougs, due mostly to recruiting cycles, will be a cyclical team with highs and lows? We're riding a 2 year, going on (hopefully) 3 year high - how long does it last? Joe's contract is what, 2 or 3 years? So my estimation that we ride a 6 year high before dipping down to our low is somehow out of line?

Geezus fcking Christ guys, go have some egg nog and lighten the fck up.

Geezus, all of a sudden we are a perennial 8-9 win team? When did this happen? When did expectations change? Is it not popular belief that the Cougs, due mostly to recruiting cycles, will be a cyclical team with highs and lows? We're riding a 2 year, going on (hopefully) 3 year high - how long does it last? Joe's contract is what, 2 or 3 years? So my estimation that we ride a 6 year high before dipping down to our low is somehow out of line?

Ah, I see (now) that you wrote that 5 or 6 years is "probably" the length of the current window. I don't think it's crazy to say that we'll have some dips down to 5 or 6 wins. Even if WSU stays at a pretty high level, I try to look at where the wins are going to come from, and a lot of teams in the Pac-12 are either trending up, seemingly bottoming out and heading up, or staying at a high enough level where they'll be tough to beat consistently. I thought you were saying with some degree of certainty that there would be a dip like that in a couple years, and I was wondering what that was based on.

Good decision by coach Joe to re-sign with us. Leach is well established in Pullman and isn't going anywhere. Grinch is eventually going to get scooped up by a bigger program, and the coordinator job will be Joe's if he wants it.

All of the data points favored Joe staying in Pullman. Taggart may do great at Oregon, but then again, he might not. Joe has a secure, steady job at a P12 school that's trending upward. Why leave for Oregon now?

Unbelievable...... But oh so true.

There is a large Portion of "Coug" Fans that hate Leach & Wish for him to still Fail. The pathetic souls arn't hard to spot. When controversy or negative news blows into town, they are quick to have a strong damming opinion. Otherwise they stay dormant & unengaged. But they stalk the board without posting.

Easy way to spot such a P.O.S. is to click on their User Name and then on "Postings" or "Last Seen" function. Upon doing so, enjoy their NEGATIVE POST HISTORY of the so called COUGAR Fan of these subjects:

• LEACH
  • MOOS
  • FUTURE OF COUGAR FOOTBALL

Another observation that you might try to follow is that some of the Cougs that Now live in Oregon are now Closet Duck Fans that bash WSU when the opportunity calls.

Unbelievable...... But oh so true.

There is a large Portion of "Coug" Fans that hate Leach & Wish for him to still Fail. The pathetic souls arn't hard to spot. When controversy or negative news blows into town, they are quick to have a strong damming opinion. Otherwise they stay dormant & unengaged. But they stalk the board without posting.

Easy way to spot such a P.O.S. is to click on their User Name and then on "Postings" or "Last Seen" function. Upon doing so, enjoy their NEGATIVE POST HISTORY of the so called COUGAR Fan of these subjects:

• LEACH
  • MOOS
  • FUTURE OF COUGAR FOOTBALL

Another observation that you might try to follow is that some of the Cougs that Now live in Oregon are now Closet Duck Fans that bash WSU when the opportunity calls.
Large portion of Coug fans? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

As long as Leach continues to stock his offensive line and can come up with decent QB play I have no reason to believe that WSU doesn't have a punchers chance in every game they play. Which, I would like to think, would lead to a bowl game every season.

I'll say it. Leach is a decent football coach, but otherwise comes across at times as arrogant and not all that well spoken. Does he know his X's and O's? Yes. Can he recruit well to his base needs? Yes. Will he keep winning in Pullman? I think so. I hope he stays, but I don't LOVE Leach. And yes, I belong to the CFA.

I'll say it. Leach is a decent football coach, but otherwise comes across at times as arrogant and not all that well spoken. Does he know his X's and O's? Yes. Can he recruit well to his base needs? Yes. Will he keep winning in Pullman? I think so. I hope he stays, but I don't LOVE Leach. And yes, I belong to the CFA.
well, given that x's and o's, recruiting, and winning are pretty much what a football coach gets paid for, i'd say that we're in pretty good shape w/ leach...

He doesn't love you either.

You don't go to bowl games 13/15 years in places like Lubbock and Pullman and be considered a "decent coach". Leach is a good coach, not great, but he's a very good coach and I bet programs like Maryland wish they didn't pass on him.

Yea! F you guys!

Reactions: YakiCoug
Ibut otherwise comes across at times as arrogant and not all that well spoken.

Get a ****ing charismatic parrot. I want a guy who can produce a competitive football team. That's what his job is.

His job isn't to be your best friend, His job isn't to be your secret man crush.

His job is to graduate players, field a competitive team, and help the University succeed at a collegiate sport. He's delivered on that.

Leach is also a lawyer by profession and probably has a hell of a lot more on the ball than the would be English grammar teachers on this board.I hate the man s politics but he is a hell of a coach and that is what he is doing at the moment.He" walks the talk" not like some on this board.

Leach is also a lawyer by profession and probably has a hell of a lot more on the ball than the would be English grammar teachers on this board.I hate the man s politics but he is a hell of a coach and that is what he is doing at the moment.He" walks the talk" not like some on this board.

Leach is a football coach by profession. He went to law school, but never practiced. Just sayin.

Reactions: brettcraycraft51
Lol at everyone that needs a coach that wins, shuts his mouth, is extremely likeable, and satisfies all you're criteria necessary to be your wife. He wins, and he keeps our program fairly clean and in good standings.

Lol at everyone that needs a coach that wins, shuts his mouth, is extremely likeable, and satisfies all you're criteria necessary to be your wife. He wins, and he keeps our program fairly clean and in good standings.
Saban is a heartbeat away from being fired from Alabama cuz he's an a-hole.

We need a coach who knows how to pick the best recruits in St. Johns and Ritzville...

tumblr_lvaw6zJRAn1r1k2g5o1_1280.png

This confirms Oregon was sniffing around. Or just a major coincidence that Coach Joe signs an extension on the heels of the extension he just recently signed?

On a lighter note, this board is effing garbage. Bunch of smart ass trolls with inferiority complexes.
You're coming to this conclusion now? Well done.

Interesting... You would rather Lose with someone you admire then WIN with someone you have never met.

Exhibit A) Of why the Cougs have been horseshit for 100 years. Our Fan Base is pathetic & love to lose.

I forwarded this post onto Mr. Moos' email with the subject: I Don't Envy Your Job With Our Fans.

Reactions: Coug1990
As a native Bostonian, I've had the pleasure of closely following Bill Belichick's tenure with the Patriots. He's very similar to Leach. He won't win many personality contests, but the players generally love playing for him because his system is fair and they win.

Leach doesn't suck up to anyone, and everyone on the roster knows they're a couple of bad games, even practices, from demotion. He's tough, fair, and has a clear vision about his system. That's good coaching. Leadership.

Interesting... You would rather Lose with someone you admire then WIN with someone you have never met.

Exhibit A) Of why the Cougs have been horseshit for 100 years. Our Fan Base is pathetic & love to lose.

I forwarded this post onto Mr. Moos' email with the subject: I Don't Envy Your Job With Our Fans.

He said literally none of that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT