ADVERTISEMENT

College football playoffs- No changes

roses04

Hall Of Fame
Oct 4, 2003
Well apparently the decision today, out of college football, the college football playoff committee will leave the current 4 team playoff format in place through 2026, so 4 more years. It all boils down to money and that current TV contracts run through 2025, I personally think they should have renegotiated, might have cost them a few dollars, but would have made them more money in the long run, but they are too short sighted to see that.

Here is an interesting stat: six teams – Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Georgia and Notre Dame – have combined for 25 of the 32 all-time playoff appearances. You think someone would have looked at this thought, maybe expanding the foot print might be a good idea, apparently it didn't cross their mind. College football has some huge challenges coming up, but they don't seem to be willing to face them.

Here is one of many articles if you care to read more

football playoffs

Last edited:
The NFL manufactured a way to distribute talent as best it could. College football doesn’t. Until they do it will always be those same teams.

Reactions: random soul
My understanding is if expansion is agreed upon, ESPN has 1st right of refusal, and the conferences listed above are tired of ESPN's s***.

Reactions: SDCoug
The NFL manufactured a way to distribute talent as best it could. College football doesn’t. Until they do it will always be those same teams.
I'm unable to find reliable NCG ratings for 2022, but it's trending down:
  • 2015: Ohio State vs Oregon (34M viewers)
  • 2016: Alabama vs Clemson (26M)
  • 2017: Alabama vs Clemson (25M)
  • 2018: Alabama vs UGA (28M)
  • 2019: Alabama vs Clemson (25M)
  • 2020: LSU vs Clemson (26M)
  • 2021: Alabama vs Ohio State (19M)
  • 2022: Alabama vs UGA (22.6M)
So there are matchups that can juice interest (Oregon/Ohio State is off the charts), but it would seem a reasonable hypothesis that getting the same matchups year after year isn't helping interest.

One to note is the second Alabama-UGA NCG matchup for this year: 5.5 million fewer people tuned in despite being EXACTLY the same proposition, and even arguably a better proposition since the teams were more evenly matched. Edit: I mean compared to 2018, not the 2021 SECCG vs 2021 NCG

It's worth pointing out that the CAGR of raw viewership is -6% per year, despite US population growth of +1% per year.

I'm unable to find reliable NCG ratings for 2022, but it's trending down:
  • 2015: Ohio State vs Oregon (34M viewers)
  • 2016: Alabama vs Clemson (26M)
  • 2017: Alabama vs Clemson (25M)
  • 2018: Alabama vs UGA (28M)
  • 2019: Alabama vs Clemson (25M)
  • 2020: LSU vs Clemson (26M)
  • 2021: Alabama vs Ohio State (19M)
  • 2022: Alabama vs UGA (22.6M)
So there are matchups that can juice interest (Oregon/Ohio State is off the charts), but it would seem a reasonable hypothesis that getting the same matchups year after year isn't helping interest.

One to note is the second Alabama-UGA NCG matchup for this year: 5.5 million fewer people tuned in despite being EXACTLY the same proposition, and even arguably a better proposition since the teams were more evenly matched. Edit: I mean compared to 2018, not the 2021 SECCG vs 2021 NCG

It's worth pointing out that the CAGR of raw viewership is -6% per year, despite US population growth of +1% per year.

It’s the same tv show over and over again. It is essentially a rerun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT