ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Tony Bennett!

Then there's Dick - looked like at the very end he was crabbing at his wife about something - whether to go down on the floor or not maybe?

Dick looks like he still can coach. Too funny couldn’t go to the semi final game because he gets too nervous

Despite all my effusive praise of Tony Bennett, it is Dick Bennett who was a savior of WSU basketball. The program hit an all-time low with Paul Graham and I thought there was nobody with any credibility who could resurrect Cougar basketball. Dick came in with a plan, he and Tony got the players they needed, and the plan was executed. Part of that plan was turning over the program to a more-than-capable coach to capitalize on all the hard work...who happened to be his son. Now WSU basketball is at a similar dark phase 10 years post-Bennetts. I"m hopeful and strangely confident that Kyle Smith can at least approach the turnaround that Dick and Tony Bennett performed the last time the Dark Ages were upon us.

Glad Cougar

Dick Bennett's inability to watch games he isn't coaching is not new. After Tony took over the Cougs I watched them beat Arizona St on TV with Weaver stopping Harden on a last second drive to the hoop to seal the win. That night I went to the Vandal game. Part way thru the game I looked a couple rows behind me and saw Dick Bennett sitting all alone watching the Vandals. I did something I wouldn't usually do and went up and sat next to him. I asked him about the Coug game that afternoon and he looked at me and said "Did they win--I couldn't watch". So I told him about the end of the game. He was quite pleasant to talk to but clearly couldn't bring himself to watch the Cougs even on TV.

Dick Bennett's inability to watch games he isn't coaching is not new.

True. But he did attend some Cougar games that Tony coached.

Prior to one game, he very graciously signed my grandson’s basketball and posed for a picture with him. Dick was relaxed and very congenial before tipoff. I don’t know if he stayed for the whole game, though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT