ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Rice

CougInSpain

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2009
After watching him play for most of this season, he sort of reminds me of Tony Parker. He has a great first step cross-over that gets his defender all twisted and out of position. Anyone else seeing this?

One of the color guys on our games has compared Rice to Parker. I can't remember any Coug player as fast and effective as Rice. His first step is ridiculous and he uses his body really well to finish at the rim.

Reactions: Coug90
After watching him play for most of this season, he sort of reminds me of Tony Parker. He has a great first step cross-over that gets his defender all twisted and out of position. Anyone else seeing this?

Chaz the radio announcer has compared Rice to Tony Parker.

I see the comparison, but a better version of Tony Parker

Rice is like Steve Nash, Tony Parker, Tim Hardaway combined.

And not only does Rice have a good first step crossover, that can shake, bake, juke, break ankles, drive, create shot, finish, pass, dish out assist, etc, but is also has NBA like speed, and not only can he dunk, on a fast break away lay up, dunk situation, but he can drive dunk, dunk off of driving and beating defendér.

He would also be a good volleyball player, because even tho other players would jump higher above the net then him, Rice, Rice would react, jump faster, get to balls, close, closer to net, and either spike or block, or stuff the other players that can jump higher above net then him, because he would get there first.

That kind of ability serves Rice well in basketball when he drives, finishes, etc. There are higher jumpers, etc, then Rice, but he uses his speed, quickness, athleticism, to drive, slash, slither, contort, find a way to either get to the basket around the defender, or get to the basket first, or jump fast enough to be able to temporarily jump higher, high enough to finish over some defenders.

Rice also uses body positioning, and uses the rim, and other teammates, to keep defenders from blocking his shots when he finishes at the rim.

Rice also has his 3 pointers, midrange jumpers, floater, runner, tear dropper, banker, etc, as additional ways to score, set up drives, etc.

Rice has NBA PURE PG/combo 1,2 guard, Nash, Tony Parker, NBA POTENTIAL written all over him.

One of the color guys on our games has compared Rice to Parker. I can't remember any Coug player as fast and effective as Rice. His first step is ridiculous and he uses his body really well to finish at the rim.
Yes that's Eldridge Recasner. He's done several WSU games and likened Rice to Parker several times.

Chaz the radio announcer has compared Rice to Tony Parker.

I see the comparison, but a better version of Tony Parker

Rice is like Steve Nash, Tony Parker, Tim Hardaway combined.

And not only does Rice have a good first step crossover, that can shake, bake, juke, break ankles, drive, create shot, finish, pass, dish out assist, etc, but is also has NBA like speed, and not only can he dunk, on a fast break away lay up, dunk situation, but he can drive dunk, dunk off of driving and beating defendér.

He would also be a good volleyball player, because even tho other players would jump higher above the net then him, Rice, Rice would react, jump faster, get to balls, close, closer to net, and either spike or block, or stuff the other players that can jump higher above net then him, because he would get there first.

That kind of ability serves Rice well in basketball when he drives, finishes, etc. There are higher jumpers, etc, then Rice, but he uses his speed, quickness, athleticism, to drive, slash, slither, contort, find a way to either get to the basket around the defender, or get to the basket first, or jump fast enough to be able to temporarily jump higher, high enough to finish over some defenders.

Rice also uses body positioning, and uses the rim, and other teammates, to keep defenders from blocking his shots when he finishes at the rim.

Rice also has his 3 pointers, midrange jumpers, floater, runner, tear dropper, banker, etc, as additional ways to score, set up drives, etc.

Rice has NBA PURE PG/combo 1,2 guard, Nash, Tony Parker, NBA POTENTIAL written all over him.
Hold on there. Let Rice play more than one year of college ball before you say he is better than a Hall of Fame player.

Hold on there. Let Rice play more than one year of college ball before you say he is better than a Hall of Fame player.
It’s fair to do a comp. Tony Parker is a good one. Although I think Tony Parker was a lot more effective defensively. Other than quick hands for some steals Rice can be a bit of a liability on defense as he’s just not strong enough to defend a lot of these bigger guards one on one.

But yeah, I can’t remember a Coug that can blow through a defense in the blink of an eye like him. I think if the bigs could get a little more in synch with him offensively on the drive and dish stuff, we’d be deadly offensively. Would be so fun to watch all these guys run it back next year.

It’s fair to do a comp. Tony Parker is a good one. Although I think Tony Parker was a lot more effective defensively. Other than quick hands for some steals Rice can be a bit of a liability on defense as he’s just not strong enough to defend a lot of these bigger guards one on one.

But yeah, I can’t remember a Coug that can blow through a defense in the blink of an eye like him. I think if the bigs could get a little more in synch with him offensively on the drive and dish stuff, we’d be deadly offensively. Would be so fun to watch all these guys run it back next year.
Sure, comps are fine. But "A better version of Tony Parker"? Does that mean he plays 19 NBA seasons, wins 5 NBA championships, and make multiple Hall of Fames?

Tony Parker is obviously better as far as he has ACCOMPLISHED more.

But in looking at, comparing JUST the SPEED, ATHLETICISM, TALENT, SKILL, that the COLLEGE version of Rice, SEEMS better then the COLLEGE version of Tony Parker, SPEED, ATHLETICISM, TALENT, SKILL WISE, as Tony Parker ACCOMPLISHED MORE in both college, NBA.

Last edited:
Hey Mik - let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves on this in comparing Rice to some of the great PG’s. Rice has played one college season and while he has looked great and has very good skills, it’s still one season. I would like to see how he develops over the next couple of years, hopefully go into the NBA and then see what he can do. I am very excited about his potential.

I would like to say he has helped elevate this team into one of the best in WSU history.

Tony Parker is obviously better as far as he has ACCOMPLISHED more.

But in looking at, comparing JUST the SPEED, ATHLETICISM, TALENT, SKILL, that the COLLEGE version of Rice, SEEMS better then the COLLEGE version of Tony Parker, SPEED, ATHLETICISM, TALENT, SKILL WISE, as Tony Parker ACCOMPLISHED MORE in both college, NBA.
Mik - here you go again. Humor us and tell us more about the college version of Tony Parker. And all of his accomplishments in college.

Might be a little tough to do since Parker DIDN'T GO TO COLLEGE.

Rice is very quick and fast with the ball and is playing with a ton of confidence. All these things have allowed him to help WSU to an amazing season which we really needed after many dry years.
As far as NBA future he has earned at least a look from the league but he has a long way to go and a lot of work to elevate his game to that level much less the level of a hall of fame player. Personally even though we got the win I thought Isaiah Collier from USC had more NBA potential. Which is no real epiphany considering he was one of the top players coming out of high school.

Reactions: Coug90
One thing about overcoming cancer is that Miles has already learned how to to deal with adversity. His life has prepared him for the struggle that it takes for a normal player to get into the NBA. That said, you can often watch a guy for 5 minutes and you know that they have a great shot at making it into the league.

Kyle Weaver and Klay Thompson were two guys that I knew were future NBA players right away. Mohamad Gueye was another guy that just had the frame and athleticism where he was a surefire NBA guy. I didn't see that with Rice when I first looked at him. The NBA is the worst about drafting on potential more than work ethic.

Rice does have good athleticism and a nice crossover and one his dunks in the last game came on a drive where he just eviscerated the UCLA defense while he blew by them. He's a good player and some comparisons might make sense...but while it's flattering to compare him to Parker, I'm sure that he's got a long ways to go in the eyes of others.

The likeness I had referenced was to draw that comparison and to point out how special this kid is. He has a great game and is one of the reasons why we are where we are right now. The 08-09 squad with NBA players Baynes and Thompson on the team (along with studs Rochestie, Harmeling, Casto etc) barely managed 1 game above .500 if that tells you anything.

I am definitely not saying he is a clone of Tony Parker but simply has a similar playing style, most noticeably with that lightning fast first step.

The likeness I had referenced was to draw that comparison and to point out how special this kid is. He has a great game and is one of the reasons why we are where we are right now. The 08-09 squad with NBA players Baynes and Thompson on the team (along with studs Rochestie, Harmeling, Casto etc) barely managed 1 game above .500 if that tells you anything.

I am definitely not saying he is a clone of Tony Parker but simply has a similar playing style, most noticeably with that lightning fast first step.
Here’s my all comp team:

Rice: I agree Parker
Wells: Sam Perkins
Jaki: Monix
Cluff: Fletch
Watts: Slick
Jones: Jackie Moon
Chinyelu: Sandy Lyle
Mullens: Billy Hoyle

Rice has been fantastic this season and deserves comparison to other great point guards. I also think he's the kind of player who will continually work on his game....we haven't seen the best of him yet, which is exciting (as long as he remains a Cougar!) I'm really enjoying this team so much and it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against any of the Bennett teams once the season is completed and the NCAA tournament has ended.

Just a quick note about that 08-09 squad that had some excellent players but only finished 17-16 overall (8-10 in conference). I think they would have been a lot more successful had they played this year's schedule and in this year's Pac-12. In 08-09, there were six teams from the conference that made it into the NCAA tournament. This year, it will probably be just two. Also, that Cougar team played a much tougher non-conference schedule and lost to Gonzaga (ranked #4 at the time), Pittsburgh (also ranked #4 at the time), and Baylor (ranked #24 at the time). Three of their conference losses were by 2 points or less. On the plus side, they did beat #13 UCLA on the road and #14 ASU twice (who can forget Rochestie's game winner?). Klay & Casto were freshmen, too. But there's no doubt that team ultimately underachieved....and I think this year's team is much, much better. Just wanted to put that season's record in perspective.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: CougInSpain
Rice has been fantastic this season and deserves comparison to other great point guards. I also think he's the kind of player who will continually work on his game....we haven't seen the best of him yet, which is exciting (as long as he remains a Cougar!) I'm really enjoying this team so much and it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against any of the Bennett teams once the season is completed and the NCAA tournament has ended.

Just a quick note about that 08-09 squad that had some excellent players but only finished 17-16 overall (8-10 in conference). I think they would have been a lot more successful had they played this year's schedule and in this year's Pac-12. In 08-09, there were six teams from the conference that made it into the NCAA tournament. This year, it will probably be just two. Also, that Cougar team played a much tougher non-conference schedule and lost to Gonzaga (ranked #4 at the time), Pittsburgh (also ranked #4 at the time), and Baylor (ranked #24 at the time). Three of their conference losses were by 2 points or less. On the plus side, they did beat #13 UCLA on the road and #14 ASU twice (who can forget Rochestie's game winner?). Klay & Casto were freshmen, too. But there's no doubt that team ultimately underachieved....and I think this year's team is much, much better. Just wanted to put that season's record in perspective.

Glad Cougar
Was that the year we lost that game at home to Oregon because of the technical foul they called on us with no time left? If I remember right that was a Klay team and that game was a killer looking back on it.

Was that the year we lost that game at home to Oregon because of the technical foul they called on us with no time left? If I remember right that was a Klay team and that game was a killer looking back on it.
No, that was the next season with Ken Bone as coach. But yes, it was a Klay team. The worst call I've ever seen in my lengthy life. Casto had just made a layup with less than a second left to put the Cougs up by 2 and Oregon did not have a timeout left. But benchwarmer Anthony Brown stepped onto the court briefly to give a high five to Casto as he ran by at midcourt and they called the technical. The Ducks had not even inbounded the ball at that point and there was no interference with any play. The refs needed to stop action and warn the bench, but instead gave Tijuan Porter 2 free throws to tie the game and send it into OT where the Cougs lost. The next day, the conference apologized for the refs getting it wrong and not issuing the warning first. By the way, the Oregon coach insisted it was a real good and appropriate call by the refs. Who was that coach you ask? Ernie Kent.

Glad Cougar

No, that was the next season with Ken Bone as coach. But yes, it was a Klay team. The worst call I've ever seen in my lengthy life. Casto had just made a layup with less than a second left to put the Cougs up by 2 and Oregon did not have a timeout left. But benchwarmer Anthony Brown stepped onto the court briefly to give a high five to Casto as he ran by at midcourt and they called the technical. The Ducks had not even inbounded the ball at that point and there was no interference with any play. The refs needed to stop action and warn the bench, but instead gave Tijuan Porter 2 free throws to tie the game and send it into OT where the Cougs lost. The next day, the conference apologized for the refs getting it wrong and not issuing the warning first. By the way, the Oregon coach insisted it was a real good and appropriate call by the refs. Who was that coach you ask? Ernie Kent.

Glad Cougar
I thought you guys meant the Oregon game where we were upby one or 2 and they called Baynes for a BS foul under the basket with time basically out? I was there, forget if it went into OT or they won by 1. My memory holding out?

Mik - here you go again. Humor us and tell us more about the college version of Tony Parker. And all of his accomplishments in college.

Might be a little tough to do since Parker DIDN'T GO TO COLLEGE.
I noticed that in his comment too.

I thought you guys meant the Oregon game where we were upby one or 2 and they called Baynes for a BS foul under the basket with time basically out? I was there, forget if it went into OT or they won by 1. My memory holding out?
dont remember that one, I was thinking about the last second technical game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT