ADVERTISEMENT

Cougar Country Drive In

Because the substantive discussion of football and non-football topics on here is often quite good, whereas both your direct participation and your indirect impact on threads are not. Most threads turn into shitshows, often because of you. If there was a way to get you to stop being such a hindrance, it would be great. That's my hope.

I hope you don't read my posts.

I've discovered a new burger haven: Shake Shack. Since my relocation to the Midwest, I had a chance to dine at the SS at the Mall of America. Memorable.

Looks like there's one in Seattle on Lake Union.

Glad Cougar

I've been. Shake Shack is solid, but it's also hella expensive and if I just want a burger and fries, so I'll pass on paying $15+.

I consulted someone with a much better memory than me and quite the authority on Pullman history. He says the old A&W restaurant is now Nuevo Vallarta, a Mexican restaurant near Grand & Stadium Way. The Chinese restaurant that I thought was once A&W is New Garden and used to be Arctic Circle in the old days.

And to BSpike76, I think you are right about the chili dog special at A&W. They should have payed us to eat that stuff.

Glad Cougar
I consulted Google Earth, and I can see that now. Nuevo Vallarta doesn't have the old style A&W roofline anymore, but the covered drive-in bays are still there. I forgot all about that place, I think I only went there once or twice during the period between Alex's closing and Rancho Viejo opening.

I can see New Garden being Arctic Circle. I assume it was just the central portion of the building back then. NG is actually my go-to postgame meal now (when the games end early enough to eat after). Parking by Cleveland, I can sneak down there ahead of the crowd and can usually get done with food before the traffic heading out of town really peaks.

Yes- the A&W was directly across Grand Ave from IGA, between the coin operated car wash and Dr. White's office (I think it is an Enterprise branch now). Arctic Circle was where the New Garden is, but much smaller. Home of the 29cent hamburger that tasted very much like the paper wrapper they all came in. I'm not sure it was even a drive-up, I remember just walking up to the window to order. Burgerville was an independent joint on the Colfax highway, with carhops, much like the old A&W. It had a prominent sign and people use to joke they thought Pullman was named "Burgerville" when they arrived for the first time.

with bacon

348s.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT