ADVERTISEMENT

Could Jacob Eason end up at WSU?

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
Looks like the former Lake Stevens star has been "Wally Pipped" at Georgia by true freshman and in-state recruit Jake Fromm.

Since Eason injured his knee in Week 1, Fromm has led the Bulldogs to two wins over Top 25 teams and looked good doing so. Kirby Smart — who more or less inherited Eason as a commitment in his first signing class — has made it clear he plans to go with whoever is playing the best.

I have no inside info, but it seems hard to imagine a a celebrated five-star recruit like Eason — one with obvious NFL measurables — remaining at UGA next season if he ends this one as a backup.

Eason officially visited Georgia, Florida and Washington during the 2015-16 recruiting cycle, but he also had an in-home with Mike Leach.

Florida is starting a redshirt freshman who's been uneven at best, but he is an in-state kid and Eason may be wary about stepping into a similar situation as the one he'd be leaving.

It looks like UW has three QB commits in the fold between the Class of 2018 and '19, so WSU would seem to be a more likely destination if Eason decides to come back home.

And, oh yeah. He can let it rip 60 times per game in the Air Raid.

FWIW, I don't want him. Hilinski will do fine the next couple years. Don't let the Nevada game mess with your head on him. After him, we have Neville and also Bledsoe's kid. We have Camm Cooper in the pipeline and I like him. The last thing I want to do is waste a scholarship on a transfer kid who didn't want to be here.

The cougs have some very good Qb s on campus right now. They also have a commit from a great HS QB,so Eason may not be needed. Not all five star QB s do not work out.

I didn't mean to suggest WSU should take Eason if he decided to transfer and wanted to come back home to the Evergreen State.

Obviously, CML knows what's best for his program.

It just seems like there are at least a couple reasons why Eason might be inclined to take a good look at the Cougs.

I didn't mean to suggest WSU should take Eason if he decided to transfer and wanted to come back home to the Evergreen State.

It just seems like there are at least a couple reasons why Eason might be inclined to take a good look at the Cougs.

Fair enough. He certainly may want to come to WSU and frankly, Leach is the kind of guy who might give him a scholarship.

Looks like the former Lake Stevens star has been "Wally Pipped" at Georgia by true freshman and in-state recruit Jake Fromm.

Since Eason injured his knee in Week 1, Fromm has led the Bulldogs to two wins over Top 25 teams and looked good doing so. Kirby Smart — who more or less inherited Eason as a commitment in his first signing class — has made it clear he plans to go with whoever is playing the best.

I have no inside info, but it seems hard to imagine a a celebrated five-star recruit like Eason — one with obvious NFL measurables — remaining at UGA next season if he ends this one as a backup.

Eason officially visited Georgia, Florida and Washington during the 2015-16 recruiting cycle, but he also had an in-home with Mike Leach.

Florida is starting a redshirt freshman who's been uneven at best, but he is an in-state kid and Eason may be wary about stepping into a similar situation as the one he'd be leaving.

It looks like UW has three QB commits in the fold between the Class of 2018 and '19, so WSU would seem to be a more likely destination if Eason decides to come back home.

If we do, we do, if we don't we don't. Even though QB depth has finally gotten to the point where we don't need to consider taking a transfer, if one guy bails, it is something to consider.

Hell yes you take him--you welcome him with open arms. No sane coach doesn't give a 6-5 240 pound kid with a cannon for an arm an opportunity to play. The kid could be another Ryan leaf under the right coach and environment.

Reactions: kougkurt
Isn't Eason originally from the south? Is is family still in Seattle?
Jacob Eason was an All-State and All-American quarterback for Lake Stevens.

His father, Tony, played at Snohomish and ended up signing as a receiver for Notre Dame in 1984, although, surprising as it seems, he wasn't really a highly recruited prospect.

I wouldn't take him. Seriously, he made his choice...and it would be disruptive and kind of unfair to bring him in for next season. It's not like we changed our coaching staff (which would perhaps cause me to think differently about him).

We have good players who have bought in to our team and the system and are read to go when Falk graduates.

Max Browne and Jake Heaps are both available as well!

Sorry couldn't resist. Eason is a fine QB but the transfer thing doesn't seem to work too often. I'll take Hilinski and whoever else Leach has recruited and signed.

Don't turn away talent. Unless it's a nightmare.

I'm a big believer in NW kids STAYING in the NW. No California or Georgia coach is gonna need your NW school. WSU, OSU, uw, UO, ID, Montana, Portland State, etc need NW high school kids. They will take care of the local boys because they have to recruit that school again. What does SC or Georgia care about NW kids???? They may only show up once or twice in a decade.

I'm a big believer in NW kids STAYING in the NW. No California or Georgia coach is gonna need your NW school. WSU, OSU, uw, UO, ID, Montana, Portland State, etc need NW high school kids. They will take care of the local boys because they have to recruit that school again. What does SC or Georgia care about NW kids???? They may only show up once or twice in a decade.
Lot of truth right here.

If Leach believes in the guy's that he is recruiting already, should he really bring in a kid just because he had a high star rating coming out of high school and is from the NW? This, despite the fact that he hasn't shown accuracy or ball security in his play at Georgia? Career stats of 55% passing and a 2:1 TD/INT ratio doesn't exactly wow me. To be fair, Hilinski needs to improve his ball security too, but I don't see Eason as some obvious must have talent. If Leach feels otherwise, it's fine and I'd support the kid, but I'd like to think that Leach is already recruiting guys that he is comfortable with. We need scholarships for DL a lot more than we need more QB's that won't be able to play until their redshirt juniors in a couple years.

Jacob Eason was an All-State and All-American quarterback for Lake Stevens.

His father, Tony, played at Snohomish and ended up signing as a receiver for Notre Dame in 1984, although, surprising as it seems, he wasn't really a highly recruited prospect.
I remember there was some draw to Georgia or the south during his recruitment and that WSU & UW didn't really have a shot at Eason. Maybe he lived in Atlanta for a period of time. Maybe it was just the former coach.

I would definitely take him as a transfer if he was healthy.

I remember there was some draw to Georgia or the south during his recruitment and that WSU & UW didn't really have a shot at Eason. Maybe he lived in Atlanta for a period of time. Maybe it was just the former coach.

I would definitely take him as a transfer if he was healthy.

If I remember correctly, one set of his grandparents live in Georgia. So, as he was growing up here in Washington, he would often visit his grandparents there.

If Leach believes in the guy's that he is recruiting already, should he really bring in a kid just because he had a high star rating coming out of high school and is from the NW? This, despite the fact that he hasn't shown accuracy or ball security in his play at Georgia? Career stats of 55% passing and a 2:1 TD/INT ratio doesn't exactly wow me. To be fair, Hilinski needs to improve his ball security too, but I don't see Eason as some obvious must have talent. If Leach feels otherwise, it's fine and I'd support the kid, but I'd like to think that Leach is already recruiting guys that he is comfortable with. We need scholarships for DL a lot more than we need more QB's that won't be able to play until their redshirt juniors in a couple years.
He started as a true freshman--how do you think Falk would have fared starting in the SEC as a true frosh?

Or maybe it was this?

BrkE6PiCAAAe0_9.png

He started as a true freshman--how do you think Falk would have fared starting in the SEC as a true frosh?

Eason faced 8-5 UNC, FCS Nicholls, 4-8 Missouri, 5-7 Ole Miss, 9-4 Tennessee, 6-7 South Carolina, 6-7 Vanderbilt, 9-4 Florida, 7-6 Kentucky, 8-5 Auburn, 6-7 ULL, and 9-4 Georgia Tech. He didn't have to face Alabama or LSU. His raw QBR vs Florida was 28.9. Against Tennessee, it was 37.2. Against Ole Miss, it was 5.1 and against South Carolina, it was 4.3.

I'm not going to say Falk would have been better, because there is no way to say for sure, but Falk, as a freshman got thrown into the fire against USC without any prep or warmup and his QBR was 23.4. His worst game as a freshman was against UW and his QBR was 14.7 against the mutts. So, never mind, I'm going to say that Falk getting the job from the get go would have been better. Of course, to be fair, Falk is one of the best QB's we've ever had.

Eason faced 8-5 UNC, FCS Nicholls, 4-8 Missouri, 5-7 Ole Miss, 9-4 Tennessee, 6-7 South Carolina, 6-7 Vanderbilt, 9-4 Florida, 7-6 Kentucky, 8-5 Auburn, 6-7 ULL, and 9-4 Georgia Tech. He didn't have to face Alabama or LSU. His raw QBR vs Florida was 28.9. Against Tennessee, it was 37.2. Against Ole Miss, it was 5.1 and against South Carolina, it was 4.3.

I'm not going to say Falk would have been better, because there is no way to say for sure, but Falk, as a freshman got thrown into the fire against USC without any prep or warmup and his QBR was 23.4. His worst game as a freshman was against UW and his QBR was 14.7 against the mutts. So, never mind, I'm going to say that Falk getting the job from the get go would have been better. Of course, to be fair, Falk is one of the best QB's we've ever had.

Cool, except Falk was a RS Freshman

Reactions: chipdouglas
It comes down to this. Leach knows the roster and the QB's better than any of us. If Eason wanted to transfer and Leach wanted him, then it is a good thing. Competition is always good. If Eason turned out better than the other QB's, that is a good thing for Cougar football.

For those who say that WSU has not had luck with transfers, not many of the transfers have been highly rated and those who have been, did well (Devard Darling, for example).

If Eason wanted to come to WSU, and Leach passed, that is also good because he knows the roster better than we do and he already thinks what he has is great.

I think the degree of interest Wazzu would have in Eason is dictated by how much his development as a QB has progressed these past 2 years, and if that development was consistent with the tools Leach likes to see in the guy that runs his offense. If I understand the transfer rules, given his play time at UGA he'd have 3 years to play 2, correct (and have to sit out his first year here)???. By the time he'd be eligible to play, he'd have to be a pretty quick read with Leach's system and have sufficient skills to be an improvement over QBs that by that point have been in the program for 3 years and know the system well. Because of the time factor, I don't think Wazzu's interest in Eason at this stage is as cut and dried as it was when he was coming out of high school.

It comes down to this. Leach knows the roster and the QB's better than any of us. If Eason wanted to transfer and Leach wanted him, then it is a good thing. Competition is always good. If Eason turned out better than the other QB's, that is a good thing for Cougar football.

For those who say that WSU has not had luck with transfers, not many of the transfers have been highly rated and those who have been, did well (Devard Darling, for example).

If Eason wanted to come to WSU, and Leach passed, that is also good because he knows the roster better than we do and he already thinks what he has is great.

Agree completely. Leach knows if he needs another QB or not. My earlier position is/was based around the idea that if we are going to be taking a flyer on someone to see if they work out......I'd rather it be another defensive lineman. We know that we have no interior DL depth in a couple years at that position.

Who freakin' cares? We don't have a direct comparison so it's impossible to say. If you want to bob on Eason's knob.....go ahead. I like the guys we have.
So you don't think having an extra year to practice against SEC talent and learn the offense might make a difference beteeen a true freshman and an RS freshman? I'd say going 8-5 and winning your bowl game is pretty damn good for a freshman, especially in the SEC. If you consider talking about his ability as "bobbing his knob", I guess that's where your mind is at.

Max Browne and Jake Heaps are both available as well!

Sorry couldn't resist. Eason is a fine QB but the transfer thing doesn't seem to work too often. I'll take Hilinski and whoever else Leach has recruited and signed.

It's worked out pretty darn well for Oklahoma.

Leach tried to bring in the kid that ended up at ASU just last year.

Last edited:
If there is a spot open for him to compete, why not? If the other QBs on the roster dont like it, tough sh*t. Honestly, if the kid can come in and win the job against a junior with 3 years in the system, then so be it.

Having said that, I think we will be just fine without him. But never turn away talent... unless there is baggage.

There are several places in the PAC that desperately need QB depth. UCLA, Whoregon, OSU and Utah come immediately to mind, but pretty much everybody except WSU, UW, Stanford and USC probably has some open spots on the bench. The other possibility if he has been passed on the depth chart at GA are the Houston/Louisville/Cincinatti's of the world. Or half of the B10.

If you guys think we "need" another QB instead of a DL. Fine. Don't bitch about defensive line depth in the future.

If you think that the SEC is so freaking great that we absolutely MUST take this kid....don't talk sh!t about how over-rated the SEC is next week.

If you guys think we "need" another QB instead of a DL. Fine. Don't bitch about defensive line depth in the future.

If you think that the SEC is so freaking great that we absolutely MUST take this kid....don't talk sh!t about how over-rated the SEC is next week.
Can we at least bitch about dirty shots on Falk after not bitching about Jalen Thompson not launching or targeting against Luton?

Reactions: Fab5Coug

Oh please. So, does this only apply to Eason, or do you gripe about every WR, RB, DB & LB commit we get because they're not DL?

You know, it IS possible to bring in a 5 star quarterback AND defensive line commits.

Like Biggs said, you don't run away from talent, unless there's baggage.

Take him and ask one of the WR or DB commits to grey shirt if you need to. It doesn't have to be the "QB vs DL" choice that you seem to want it to be.

Oh please. So, does this only apply to Eason, or do you gripe about every WR, RB, DB & LB commit we get because they're not DL?

Have you heard me say anything about other commits this year? I know you guys like to just make stuff up, but come on. For the record, we have the following commits so far:

QB: 1
RB: 1
WR: 3 (but 1 is a JC)
OL: 3
DE: 1
DT: 0
LB: 2
DB: 3
ATH: 1 (Brand X calls him a receiver.

15 recruits so far. I think we should expect Leach to get at least one more OL (and probably two). We would normally recruit a second RB. We need at least 1 more linebacker (and maybe 2) and 1 more DB. That would put us at 21-22 recruits. Given our lack of inside bodies, we need at least 2 HS DT and 1-2 JC DT's at this point. We don't have anyone listed on the official roster that plays DL that weighs more than 260 lbs who will be here after next year. All BS aside, that is terrifying. If we take Eason, that scholarship has to take away from another position. You tell me which position that we are so loaded at that we don't need recruits down the road.

You know, it IS possible to bring in a 5 star quarterback AND defensive line commits.

Like Biggs said, you don't run away from talent, unless there's baggage.

Take him and ask one of the WR or DB commits to grey shirt if you need to. It doesn't have to be the "QB vs DL" choice that you seem to want it to be.

Asking someone to greyshirt is always an option, but it is also robbing a scholarship from the future. If you have someone who needs to grow for a year, it's always a good option, but it's also a good way to lose a recruit and should be done when you have already talked to the recruit about it......or when you are getting a bona fide, can't miss guy and you just have to pull the trigger. Eason is not a bona fide, can't miss guy.

Well we didn't take a QB 1 year and we've had some transfers so if he wants to play for WSU should give him a fair shot, just like we give everybody who wants to be a Coug, but no "special" treatment.

He gets his opportunity just like everybody else if he wants to play for us and walks on campus.

I love the way Leach has a whoever is the best gets the shot and doesn't play the whole "preferential politics" bs. The best guy plays period, if he is looking to walk into WSU and be handed the starting job because he was a 5 star guy he can go look elsewhere because that's not our attitude.

Asking someone to greyshirt is always an option, but it is also robbing a scholarship from the future. If you have someone who needs to grow for a year, it's always a good option, but it's also a good way to lose a recruit and should be done when you have already talked to the recruit about it......or when you are getting a bona fide, can't miss guy and you just have to pull the trigger. Eason is not a bona fide, can't miss guy.

Why not?

Have you heard me say anything about other commits this year? I know you guys like to just make stuff up, but come on. For the record, we have the following commits so far:

QB: 1
RB: 1
WR: 3 (but 1 is a JC)
OL: 3
DE: 1
DT: 0
LB: 2
DB: 3
ATH: 1 (Brand X calls him a receiver.

15 recruits so far. I think we should expect Leach to get at least one more OL (and probably two). We would normally recruit a second RB. We need at least 1 more linebacker (and maybe 2) and 1 more DB. That would put us at 21-22 recruits. Given our lack of inside bodies, we need at least 2 HS DT and 1-2 JC DT's at this point. We don't have anyone listed on the official roster that plays DL that weighs more than 260 lbs who will be here after next year. All BS aside, that is terrifying. If we take Eason, that scholarship has to take away from another position. You tell me which position that we are so loaded at that we don't need recruits down the road.

Personally, I'd take Eason over a 4th DB or WR.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT