ADVERTISEMENT

Could Jacob Eason end up at WSU?

Dude, you were wrong. You posted inaccurate information and were called on it. You. Wrong. Just own it. We don't need a five-post subthread on this.

If the (inaccurate) information wasn't material to your point, don't write it. Again, not hard.
any time there's one of these back and forths w/ ed i always think of kevin costner telling susan sarandon that talking to her is like a martian talking to a fungo...

FWIW, David Cornwell (former Alabama QB and #3 QB overall) just left Nevada after he was unable to win the starting role there. A waste of time and money for UNR and another kid looking for an opportunity. Just because a guy is 6'5", highly rated and spent a season in the SEC doesn't mean that he is destined for greatness. Eason had experience playing at Georgia and Cornwell didn't, but still.....rankings and hype aren't everything. I wouldn't turn Eason down if he came looking, but I'd make sure that I had every other position sealed up first.
Rankings aren't everything, but they are a strong predictor of getting drafted highly:
https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-draft-do-recruiting-rankings-matter

Certainly a better bet on taking a 5-star than to say that "well, there was this one guy once that was highly ranked and didn't cut it, so we don't want any 5-star guys to transfer to our team--we're happy with the guys we have."

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Rankings aren't everything, but they are a strong predictor of getting drafted highly:
https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-draft-do-recruiting-rankings-matter

Certainly a better bet on taking a 5-star than to say that "well, there was this one guy once that was highly ranked and didn't cut it, so we don't want any 5-star guys to transfer to our team--we're happy with the guys we have."

They are a strong predictor.....but I'm betting that if you did a filter for 5 star recruits that transferred, their odds of being drafted fall dramatically and probably lower than the odds of a 3 star getting drafted.

They are a strong predictor.....but I'm betting that if you did a filter for 5 star recruits that transferred, their odds of being drafted fall dramatically and probably lower than the odds of a 3 star getting drafted.
What about 5-star starting-as-a-freshman-at-QB-at-a-power 5 conference-with-bowl-winning-and-winning-record transfers?

What about 5-star starting-as-a-freshman-at-QB-at-a-power 5 conference-with-bowl-winning-and-winning-record transfers?

What about QB's that led their team to one of the worst season records in the past 6 years?

2011: 10-4
2012: 12-2
2013: 8-5 (losses to teams that went 53-14)
2014: 10-3
2015: 10-3
2016: 8-5 (losses to teams that went 38-26)

FWIW, the other 8-5 season was when Aaron Murray was there (I know, I don't remember him either) and they had a slew of injuries. Murray had a 154.5 QB rating as a freshman at Georgia in 2010 and threw for over 3000 yards every season. He was drafted in the 5th round by the Chiefs and then waived, and waived, and waived and waived. Dude's ready to be in a parade for all the waiving he's been through. Eason isn't some special, once in a lifetime talent. He's possibly the third best Freshman QB to start at Georgia this decade. Any QB who's transferring because of competition should be looked at very skeptically. Hell, we didn't give Falk a scholarship and FSU wanted him at one point. We made him walk on and earn it.

Last edited:
Do you really not remember Aaron Murray, or are you being sarcastic?

And UGAs record probably had to do with their coaching change, and because they had to start a true freshman at QB.

What about QB's that led their team to one of the worst season records in the past 6 years?

FWIW, the other 8-5 season was when Aaron Murray was there (I know, I don't remember him either) and they had a slew of injuries. Murray had a 154.5 QB rating as a freshman at Georgia in 2010 and threw for over 3000 yards every season. He was drafted in the 5th round by the Chiefs and then waived, and waived, and waived and waived. Dude's ready to be in a parade for all the waiving he's been through. Eason isn't some special, once in a lifetime talent. He's possibly the third best Freshman QB to start at Georgia this decade. Any QB who's transferring because of competition should be looked at very skeptically. Hell, we didn't give Falk a scholarship and FSU wanted him at one point. We made him walk on and earn it.
How 'bout you look up the QB for each of those seasons and tell me what year in school they were? Better yet, never mind--you're right, Eason sucks, the SEC is the worst conference ever, and 5-star transfers NEVER EVER succeed. If he were to transfer, the line of coaches that would be knocking on his door would be fools and should have listened to your infinite coaching wisdom.

any time there's one of these back and forths w/ ed i always think of kevin costner telling susan sarandon that talking to her is like a martian talking to a fungo...
Brett...the way 425 presented I simply don't understand how the date Bruggman left was material to what I had said. So maybe you can. I read a headline and thought it was interesting Bruggman left WSU for greener pastures, only to transfer to Louisville, a Community College, MSU, and now Texas A and M. Not sure how the date of when he transferred to A and M, one that I read in a headline, is material to him transferring. He still transferred. So If I posted "Bruggman left May second to transfer from MSU to Texas A and M and the grass isn't always greener, that has a different meaning?

If I had posted that the UCLA game on August 29th where the Cougs won 35-31 was the catalyst that propelled them to the Rose Bowl. The story isn't about the date it happened, nor even the correct score, but they got past UCLA which would turn out to be a top tier conference opponent and they got better as the year went on. The schedule was perfect.

AS for being wrong on the date, yep I was. I saw a headline and figured it was accurate. But guess what, I am married. I am wrong 100 times before I take my first piss of the day. Won't be the last time I will be wrong.

A friend of mine was on the staff at Lake Stevens. Said the kid could really spin it. Florida really wanted him. It comes to philosophy. Can he make the reads necessary for his offense. Can he throw to right guy. Delivering the ball isn't his problem. I do know if he was available to transfer Mike Price would take him in a heart beat.

And yes Eason is a special talent.

I'm still comfortable with the guys we have and I'm not going to spend time pining away for some kid who wasn't interested the first time around. Whatever floats your boat though.

I'm still comfortable with the guys we have and I'm not going to spend time pining away for some kid who wasn't interested the first time around. Whatever floats your boat though.

I'm sure your time is quite valuable.

I know I've spent literally tens of minutes thinking about Eason. Time I will never recoup unfortunately.

Reactions: kougkurt
A friend of mine was on the staff at Lake Stevens. Said the kid could really spin it. Florida really wanted him. It comes to philosophy. Can he make the reads necessary for his offense. Can he throw to right guy. Delivering the ball isn't his problem. I do know if he was available to transfer Mike Price would take him in a heart beat.

And yes Eason is a special talent.

Is it just me, or do you seem to have a "friend" on every college and high school coaching staff in the state?:D

I know I've spent literally tens of minutes thinking about Eason. Time I will never recoup unfortunately.

This is a three page thread because we have fans who apparently believe that he is some must-have prospect that we can't live without even though it hasn't seemed like Georgia fans are all that torn up about the discussion. Georgia is 5-0 and ranked #5 with his true freshman replacement under center. Last year, they were 3-2 at this time and getting ready to be 4-4. QB is obviously only one position on the field, but it's very possible that Eason is more of a Max Browne type QB than anything else. All sorts of stars and talent, but lacking the "IT" quality that makes a great college QB.

I'd take him if we've got the room and Leach was interested, but I'd rather load up on guys in other positions. When you hear about the other QB's out there who played as freshmen and excelled, they were on an entire different level than Eason. And again, we hear fans talk about competitive fire and willingness to compete.....if Eason runs away from Georgia, he will not be exhibiting that trait. Y'all can love him as much as you want, I like the QB's we have.

I’m losing sleep over it—I’ve been up all night for weeks over it, so much so that I’ve had time to compose and record a song I wrote to show my feelings towards Jacob Eason

Reactions: YakiCoug
I’m losing sleep over it—I’ve been up all night for weeks over it, so much so that I’ve had time to compose and record a song I wrote to show my feelings towards Jacob Eason
You wrote a song about too. Here's mine. The kid was rated one of Casey Kasum's Top 40 QB's from that year. I'd give up everything I own to have him in Pullman:)

Reactions: YakiCoug
Poster on Brand X notes that Georgia just got the #1 high school quarterback to commit for next year. More push for Eason to transfer.

Same post also comments on Hilinski's little brother's game last night. His team lost, but to what may be the best team in the area. His performance was OK.

i don't know if this a point that's been made (i haven't really been reading this whole back and forth), but if eason considers leaving it actually makes more sense for him to think about belatedly following richt to miami. watching this um/fsu game, i'm remembering that richt is the one he committed to at uga and this um quarterback isn't really impressing...

i don't know if this a point that's been made (i haven't really been reading this whole back and forth), but if eason considers leaving it actually makes more sense for him to think about belatedly following richt to miami. watching this um/fsu game, i'm remembering that richt is the one he committed to at uga and this um quarterback isn't really impressing...

At the end of the day, that's the most likely result if Eason transfers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT