ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy how fast power shifts

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
Oregon is a runaway train on the recruiting trail, picking up 4/5 stars with ease. Big momentum from last year. Remember the Apple Cup where we were ranked and UW was up 28-0 in the first quarter? That is what UO is doing to UW in recruiting. USC, after years of being trash, is again killing it in recruiting. Wether that translates will be seen. Both these teams have great recruiters and assistant coaches that will probably earn the head coaches massive accolades. I just don’t see anyone challenging Oregon for a while in the north if UW cannot right their ship in the next year or two.

Without re checking. I think UW is around 40th in recruiting. Lots of 3 star guys to Oregon’s 4

UO has all that talent.... WSU has beaten them 4 of the last 5 years and the year they lost they gave it away.

UO does a nice job collecting high school talent. Then they coach the 4 and 5 star kids into 2 and 3 star kids.

UO has all that talent.... WSU has beaten them 4 of the last 5 years and the year they lost they gave it away.

UO does a nice job collecting high school talent. Then they coach the 4 and 5 star kids into 2 and 3 star kids.

Over the last 4 years yes. But they are rounding up enough quality assistants to move past that paradigm it seems like.

Reactions: Cougzz
UO is where 4 stars go to be 2 stars. They can round up all the assistant coaches they want. UO has soft kids.

I mean, that slur was appropriate when used against UCLA. They chronically underperformed. Oregon's been pretty successful with the talent they've acquired. They just won the Rose Bowl for crying out loud.

I mean, that slur was appropriate when used against UCLA. They chronically underperformed. Oregon's been pretty successful with the talent they've acquired. They just won the Rose Bowl for crying out loud.

Sure. And WSU has beaten them 4 of the last 5. The fifth was a gift.

Soft is soft whether they won the Rose Bowl or not.

Oregon's soft kids: see duck LB that left his jock over there when MB juked him and ran in for a TD. The duck kid was left there crying. sob sob.

I agree with g-ray.... since Cristobal arrived at O, they have pulled in mostly 4 & 5 star kids.... something is going on there, it doesn't smell right. I would not put it past Oregon to cheat.... it looks like they are.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
UO is where 4 stars go to be 2 stars. They can round up all the assistant coaches they want. UO has soft kids.

Oregon has significantly out-recruited UCLA for years. Both programs...for what ever reasons...do not produce mentally tough teams. Oregon has won a lot more games than UCLA recently, but it is not because they are mentally tougher. It is because they have better players. Leach's 4 year win streak with good but not as highly rated kids makes it clear that coaching matters, but so does culture. The HC influences both of those. At some programs, if they hit you in the mouth, you hit back. At other programs, if they hit you in the mouth early, you fold. Leach's programs were mentally much tougher than Oregon or UCLA during that 4 year time period, and that allowed Leach to scheme based on the idea that he wanted to hit them in the face early. That was working well against UCLA last year until the wheels fell off the defensive bus. And, as Biggs noted, last year's win by Oregon was also aided and abetted by our team. It is hard not to conclude that our mental toughness took a dip last year; not across the board, but certainly in some areas. IMHO, a big key for Rolo will be re-establishing that sort of mentally tough attitude...because as both UCLA and Oregon have shown, you can recruit all the 4 & 5 star kids you want, but if your culture is soft, you will choke at awkward times. Chip Kelly was unable to change that cultural problem at UCLA. If Cristobal does not continue to improve this season (the raw talent is in place to do that, as well as the budget for assistants, but will it matter?), it will be evidence that either the culture remains soft, or the X's and O's coaching is not that good, or both. With what he has spent for assistants, there is no excuse for the problem to be X's and O's. Uncle Phil will not be forgiving if UO takes a step backward. And UCLA's new AD needs to make a name for himself...to date his only really acknowledged trait is sales (fund raising, recruiting assistance, etc.).

If we get to play some part of a season this year, it will be interesting for me personally to see how mentally tough all three teams (WSU, UO and UCLA) look. I suspect that will be the key to the season for all three. And I have to admit that I'm looking for the same indications from the Lakedouche team.

And a totally different thought. I'm pretty amazed at how badly UA and ASU have done in their state. Looks like most of the top kids have been poached by folks from elsewhere. That is not a good look for either school. On the flip side, UO recruiting success looks to have freed up some kids in state for OSU. It is worth looking at each PAC school's current group, just to see from where they are coming. SC actually has commits from two QB's. It will be interesting to see if that holds.

And a totally different thought. I'm pretty amazed at how badly UA and ASU have done in their state. Looks like most of the top kids have been poached by folks from elsewhere. That is not a good look for either school. On the flip side, UO recruiting success looks to have freed up some kids in state for OSU. It is worth looking at each PAC school's current group, just to see from where they are coming. SC actually has commits from two QB's. It will be interesting to see if that holds.

Top kids go to top schools. If you have 2 or 3 star facilities you get 2 and 3 star kids. Wanna get 4 and 5 star kids? You’re gonna have to spend some money. Or you watch in state kids leave.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Oregon has significantly out-recruited UCLA for years. Both programs...for what ever reasons...do not produce mentally tough teams. Oregon has won a lot more games than UCLA recently, but it is not because they are mentally tougher. It is because they have better players. Leach's 4 year win streak with good but not as highly rated kids makes it clear that coaching matters, but so does culture. The HC influences both of those. At some programs, if they hit you in the mouth, you hit back. At other programs, if they hit you in the mouth early, you fold. Leach's programs were mentally much tougher than Oregon or UCLA during that 4 year time period, and that allowed Leach to scheme based on the idea that he wanted to hit them in the face early. That was working well against UCLA last year until the wheels fell off the defensive bus. And, as Biggs noted, last year's win by Oregon was also aided and abetted by our team. It is hard not to conclude that our mental toughness took a dip last year; not across the board, but certainly in some areas. IMHO, a big key for Rolo will be re-establishing that sort of mentally tough attitude...because as both UCLA and Oregon have shown, you can recruit all the 4 & 5 star kids you want, but if your culture is soft, you will choke at awkward times. Chip Kelly was unable to change that cultural problem at UCLA. If Cristobal does not continue to improve this season (the raw talent is in place to do that, as well as the budget for assistants, but will it matter?), it will be evidence that either the culture remains soft, or the X's and O's coaching is not that good, or both. With what he has spent for assistants, there is no excuse for the problem to be X's and O's. Uncle Phil will not be forgiving if UO takes a step backward. And UCLA's new AD needs to make a name for himself...to date his only really acknowledged trait is sales (fund raising, recruiting assistance, etc.).

If we get to play some part of a season this year, it will be interesting for me personally to see how mentally tough all three teams (WSU, UO and UCLA) look. I suspect that will be the key to the season for all three. And I have to admit that I'm looking for the same indications from the Lakedouche team.

It’s their sales pitch. They blow kids away with luxury and shiny things.

Ask yourself, will the kid taking the offer from the school with the richest stuff be the same kid that knuckles up on the field and punches someone in the mouth???

They have a lot of guys there that look the part, talk the part, are athletic as all hell.... they lack mental toughness. Example, tears at halftime against WSU two years ago.

The biggest thing the UO staff has to coach is toughness.

Really? Six 4* O lineman in the last three classes plus the best offensive tackle in the country.

Cristobal is turning them into SEC far- west.

Now they have the speed of the Kelly teams and the smashmouth mentality of the SEC.

Scary.

Really? Six 4* O lineman in the last three classes plus the best offensive tackle in the country.

Cristobal is turning them into SEC far- west.

Now they have the speed of the Kelly teams and the smashmouth mentality of the SEC.

Scary.

Smash mouth mentality. hahahahahahahahaha

Duck tears taste like sugar.

The ducks may be scary to other teams , but not WSU! The Cougs have beaten Oregon the last 4 out of 5. And last years duck win, was a game WSU was in until the very end
And had a chance to win. Get an investigative reporter to look into the ducks recruiting and let’s see what turns up? WSU will always do more with less and Leach has proven his kids can beat Oregon. This group is still Leach’s kids.

The ducks may be scary to other teams , but not WSU! The Cougs have beaten Oregon the last 4 out of 5. And last years duck win, was a game WSU was in until the very end
And had a chance to win. Get an investigative reporter to look into the ducks recruiting and let’s see what turns up? WSU will always do more with less and Leach has proven his kids can beat Oregon. This group is still Leach’s kids.
Their cheating in recruiting goes all the way back to the Chip Kelly years when they were buying “recruiting reports” that were thinly veiled payments for access to top rated recruits. They’ve adopted the big boy approach to football—if the SEC can do it, then teams from the P12 are going to have to follow suit in order to stay nationally relevant.

Their cheating in recruiting goes all the way back to the Chip Kelly years when they were buying “recruiting reports” that were thinly veiled payments for access to top rated recruits. They’ve adopted the big boy approach to football—if the SEC can do it, then teams from the P12 are going to have to follow suit in order to stay nationally relevant.

MC is using the Alabama playbook.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT