ADVERTISEMENT

"I was never going to transfer."

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
Just read a great interview with Mateer. While I have my concerns about his ability to through the ball at a high level, the kid is tough as nails and shows tremendous leadership for his age. Talked about how he knew that most of the team never considered transferring. Really good to hear his thoughts on things.

I mentioned in other threads that I think the campus vibe in Pullman is an underrated thing in this transfer era. Of course there are going to be big money kids that we end up losing, and if there's a culture problem in a locker room, that program will see significant defections. Apart from those things, I believe WSU is going to press on and play to a fairly high level in our new league. Recruiting will probably be impacted some, but I've pivoted away from my initial panic thoughts. I've spent a fairly significant amount of time on most of the MWC campuses over the years. Apart from SDSU, none of them are in our league. As a University, a football program, campus vibe, etc.

At the end of the day, I have WSU slotted in where we've been for a couple of decades now. The best option out West for kids who aren't pulling in offers from UW, Oregon, SC, UCLA, etc. That's who we are and it's what we're going to continue to be, I believe.

Reactions: kougkurt
Seeing Ward is going to land a huge NIL deal and play at likely Ohio State, the opportunity to play QB here is pretty good. I sense we will get another transfer QB here and will likely compete w/ Mateer.

I personally would love to see him on the field in the TE role or some utility type where we can use him as a weapon. Likely didn't do that as he was slated at our backup.

Seeing Ward is going to land a huge NIL deal and play at likely Ohio State, the opportunity to play QB here is pretty good. I sense we will get another transfer QB here and will likely compete w/ Mateer.

I personally would love to see him on the field in the TE role or some utility type where we can use him as a weapon. Likely didn't do that as he was slated at our backup.
Use him like the Saints use Taysom Hill...but more effectively. Keep him on the field for 70% of the offensive downs...

Ward is visiting FSU this weekend and already visited Miami. Sounds like one of those two are offering the most money.

Just read a great interview with Mateer. While I have my concerns about his ability to through the ball at a high level, the kid is tough as nails and shows tremendous leadership for his age. Talked about how he knew that most of the team never considered transferring. Really good to hear his thoughts on things.

I mentioned in other threads that I think the campus vibe in Pullman is an underrated thing in this transfer era. Of course there are going to be big money kids that we end up losing, and if there's a culture problem in a locker room, that program will see significant defections. Apart from those things, I believe WSU is going to press on and play to a fairly high level in our new league. Recruiting will probably be impacted some, but I've pivoted away from my initial panic thoughts. I've spent a fairly significant amount of time on most of the MWC campuses over the years. Apart from SDSU, none of them are in our league. As a University, a football program, campus vibe, etc.

At the end of the day, I have WSU slotted in where we've been for a couple of decades now. The best option out West for kids who aren't pulling in offers from UW, Oregon, SC, UCLA, etc. That's who we are and it's what we're going to continue to be, I believe.
Um a link to this interview article would be nice,,,,,

It’s a subscriber only article on Brand X. I don’t have a subscription so I haven’t read it either
Got it. Read what I could. My assessment is that he is getting laid by whatever cute WSU coed who crosses his path and that is what counts.

He’s actually most likely right for a change.
What do you mean by "for a change"? The mighty Loyal is always right. That said, I appreciate your concurrence with my expert analysis of Mateer's reason for not wanting to transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT