ADVERTISEMENT

CU was paid a signing bonus.

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
Tried to post earlier and it didn’t come up. Hopefully it doesn’t double post. Reports are coming out that CU accepted and was paid a 2.5 million $ signing bonus by the Big12 to join the conference. I don’t know how you argue you can still in good faith represent a vote in the P12 after that.

Tried to post earlier and it didn’t come up. Hopefully it doesn’t double post. Reports are coming out that CU accepted and was paid a 2.5 million $ signing bonus by the Big12 to join the conference. I don’t know how you argue you can still in good faith represent a vote in the P12 after that.
Why the hell would the Big XII do that?

From the same article the CU news came from:

Texas and Oklahoma are not expected to forgo any of their revenue as described in the Big 12 contract. This sets a bad precedent for WSU and OSU in the suit against the other schools.

In addition, ESPN is providing "transition funds" to the SEC to smooth the way for adding Texas & Oklahoma, and paying UT for the rights to the Longhorn network. Some of their funding to UO is in exchange for an agreement to keep scheduled games with Michigan & Nebraska, which ESPN will now have the rights to.

But it's all about taking care of student-athletes.

Texas and Oklahoma are not expected to forgo any of their revenue as described in the Big 12 contract. This sets a bad precedent for WSU and OSU in the suit against the other schools.

In addition, ESPN is providing "transition funds" to the SEC to smooth the way for adding Texas & Oklahoma, and paying UT for the rights to the Longhorn network. Some of their funding to UO is in exchange for an agreement to keep scheduled games with Michigan & Nebraska, which ESPN will now have the rights to.

Some compensation for the Longhorn Network at least makes sense. ESPN doesn't want it competing with the SEC Network, and presumably doesn't need it to air Big XII games.

I don’t think WSU or OSU was ever going to attempt to withhold funds from the ‘23 season. They’ll get their due share.

Why the hell would the Big XII do that?
They knew getting 1 of the 4 corner schools to bite was key to unraveling the conference. I would be surprised if they offered it up Arizona as well and said first one to jump gets it. Colorado leaving opened up the BIG to poaching. supposedly they didn’t want to be the ones to kill the PAC but once Colorado left they figured they would no longer be the bad guys.

F Colorado big time. Very good chance the conference would have survived this round if they wouldn’t have gotten happy feet.

I don’t think WSU or OSU was ever going to attempt to withhold funds from the ‘23 season. They’ll get their due share.
They should, and under the bylaws...it's allowed. In fact, USC and UCLA shouldn't have been paid for 2022-23.

I don't think that TX and OK set much of a precedent for what is going on in the PAC. I scanned through the article quickly without doing a lot of in depth comparison, but what you have is a bunch of things that don't apply to the PAC situation (Bucks from ESPN) and there ended up being a negotiated settlement.

In addition, we have no idea what the Big 12 bylaws say for comparison purposes, although I suspect they can be found. I bet they are betten written the PAC bylaws.

They should, and under the bylaws...it's allowed. In fact, USC and UCLA shouldn't have been paid for 2022-23.
if its determined that it is allowed, f all of them and take the money. that was their plan, dissolve the conference and pilage the assets on the way out the door. It clearly never occured to them the WSU and OSU would try to keep the conference alive, instead just assuming we would roll over and and go MTN West

Y’all never played in the oil patch.

The Texans have a different mentality. Business is a blood sport.

A signing bonus is simply a cost of doing business and locking out competition.

Reactions: 425cougfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT