ADVERTISEMENT

D. Brown needs to be benched

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
Daquawn Brown needs to get benched. We were far better without him last week and he has sucked in consecutive plays to start tonight. Gives up 8 yards on a pass and primps and preens like a freakin' rooster and then knocks a teammate off course and gives up a huge TD because he's got dick for field awareness.

This post was edited on 11/29 7:48 PM by Flatlandcoug

Gotta admit--no one's got more attitude than Daquawn tho!! It's especially fun to watch him run his mouth before and after he gets beat.

Daquawn Brown is like the Boz if the Boz had a bad college career.

I hate it when he's excited to play. Especially when the rest of the team is as flat as a pancake.

Originally posted by dgibbons:
I hate it when he's excited to play. Especially when the rest of the team is as flat as a pancake.
Issue isn't about "excitement", as you know.

It's about having a ton of attitude before and after you get beat like a drum. "Mouth is writing checks his body can't cash."

I appreciate the guy's enthusiasm. Honestly, he looks like he knows what's going on more than most. The problem is that he provides motivation for the opposing team every single down and he doesn't have the skills to back up his talk. Pippins is far more talented and has a much higher ceiling. Unfortunately, Brown seems like a loud mouth version of Chima Nwachukwu. Fair talent but not enough speed. He's probably slightly faster than Chima was but I will not be surprised if he isn't at the top of the depth chart for long. It's never a good thing for a cornerback when he is leading the team in tackles. I'd rather he be leading the conference in passes defended.

I would prefer it if our defensive players reserved celebrations for truly great plays or as their opponent is heading to the sideline, not, "I held the guy to only an 8 yard gain....yay!"

Brown is WAY down the list of players or issues with this defense to be concerned about. I saw him make some exceptional plays in run defense. He'll continue to get smarter.

Brown is one of three guys on the entire team that can actually tackle. And if you bothered to look, you'd see he spent most of the game telling other guys where to line up. You obviously don't understand the concept of boundary corner.

It's terrible the way he plays. Just terrible.

Brown is one of three guys on the entire team that can actually tackle.

I don't have to tell those who have been observant through the years.....but....run support is becoming (according to poor tackling teams) ..a lost art. However, it's not a lost art to those teams who practice against teams that run 50% of the time. Now...I'm not supporting an offensive philosophy that goes from 25% run to 75% pass, but.....and this is a big but.......I am supporting a team that goes from 18-72 to to 25-75 run-to-pass.

18-72? ...what about the other 10?
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by froropmkr72:
Brown is one of three guys on the entire team that can actually tackle.

I don't have to tell those who have been observant through the years.....but....run support is becoming (according to poor tackling teams) ..a lost art. However, it's not a lost art to those teams who practice against teams that run 50% of the time. Now...I'm not supporting an offensive philosophy that goes from 25% run to 75% pass, but.....and this is a big but.......I am supporting a team that goes from 18-72 to to 25-75 run-to-pass.

I'd challenge you to find any team that's worth a crap that has a cornerback leading the team in tackles. I did see him directing some of his teammates in the second half which tells you that he has a better grasp of going on than most of them. I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with the number of times that I've seen him allow a catch, tackle the guy and then jump up and act like a fool.

Unfortunately for Brown, his first two plays of the game highlight his career so far. Tackles a guy on first down after a 7 yard gain and he jumps around celebrating like he's won the national championship and then, on the very next play, misses an opportunity to stop a 50+ yard touchdown that puts us in a hole.

I hope the guy works out, but I'm tired of the all show and no go that he epitomizes right now.

Brown is one of three guys on the entire team that can actually tackle. And if you bothered to look, you'd see he spent most of the game telling other guys where to line up. You obviously don't understand the concept of boundary corner.

It's terrible the way he plays. Just terrible.

Followup

I decided to look at tackles and following are the top tacklers at the DB position and the team that they play for with their record:

#3 Nate Holley - Kent State - 2-9
#17 Quin Blanding - Virginia - 5-7
#20 Devon Edwards - Duke - 9-3 (second on team behind a linebacker)
#25 Ryan Janvion - Wake Forest - 3-9
#26 Michael Mudah - Tulsa - 2-10
#38 Anthony Harris - Virginia - 5-7 (two DB's in the Top 50!)
#47 Kevin Johnson - Eastern Michigan - 2-10 (second leading tackler on team)

Outside of Edwards at Duke, a defensive back with a lot of tackles is a great indicator of a losing team.

When you have a linebacker leading your team, you see the following records:

#1 New Mexico 4-8
#2 Texas State 7-5
#4 UMass 3-9
#5 UCLA 9-3
#6 Arizona 10-2
#7 Penn State 6-6
#8 Utah State 9-4
#9 Eastern Michigan 2-10
#10 East Carolina 8-3

It's pretty damned obvious that you want a linebacker with a lot of tackles instead of a cornerback. Brown having a lot of tackles is a terrible thing. Whether it's that he sucks and gives up too many catches or the rest of the team sucks and he's tackling opposing running backs, it's bad news for WSU. Him jumping up and talking smack after tackling a guy who just made a big gain is just the cherry on the top of a turd flavored sundae.

This post was edited on 11/30 3:20 PM by Flatlandcoug

That's a swing and a miss

Do you get the fact that the guy was excited to make his first play of the game? In a rivalry game?

Strike two!

You're even more off your game than usual.

Who said anything about wanting a corner to lead the team in tackles? Part of the reason he does is that he's been on the field for all 12 games, whereas just about everyone else in the back seven has been in and out of the lineup.

Re: Followup

Brown's good in run support, not enough speed for CB. He's one to yap, but hold it for the good plays please.

Flatland, when you have any player at any position on defense who can't tackle....you create more slack than any 3-4 linebackers can pull. Defensive backs need to be strong in run support because it's typically 50% of all plays run. If you add the wins and losses from the examples you put up....you come out with a 7-5 record....and that's really not too convincing.

Brown is WAY down the list of players or issues with this defense to be concerned about. I saw him make some exceptional plays in run defense. He'll continue to get smarter.
Agreed. He's a good player. You need non-stop unwaivering confidence to play corner, especially inthe Pac-10. Its football, not a Hallmark card for good sportsmanship, he can talk all he wants, imo. No one looks like a knucklehead other than him if he gets beat.

What the hell are you talking about? Cornerbacks are only important in run support when your team sucks. There might be an occasional play where a cornerback "NEEDS" to be good in run support because he is blitzing but the vast majority of the time, they shouldn't be tackling running backs.

You might want to look at that list a little closer. Teams with a cornerback high on the list averaged 4 wins. Teams with a linebacker high on the list averaged 6.5 wins. Again, Brown isn't the source of our problems, but firing up your opponents isn't a good idea when you're obviously incapable of stopping them.
Flatland, when you have any player at any position on defense who can't tackle....you create more slack than any 3-4 linebackers can pull. Defensive backs need to be strong in run support because it's typically 50% of all plays run. If you add the wins and losses from the examples you put up....you come out with a 7-5 record....and that's really not too convincing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT