ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Lanning taking shots at Neon

CU is 3-1 and lucky to be it. They could just as easily be 1-3.
I'm not seeing why that has any relevance in what we are talking about. Meion is 3-1 when he just as easily could have been 0-4. The fact is he is 3-1.

I posted on here I couldn't wait to see TCU drill them before that game. I don't like the Meion act. I pretty much think the guy is an @$$ most of the time until you look a bit closer. CU should get their bum handed to them the rest of the year.

However, I personally don't think you can turn around a $*** show by being gentle about it. In this environment, the longer you wait the further you get behind with no way to dig out of it. Every year is starting over for most programs.

I think most are letting their hate deflate the significance of the first 3 games. I'm not seeing how I'm inflating it. I said above, getting to 5 or 6 wins is success. I think it's likely their ceiling and they struggle to stay in a lot of games the rest of this year especially without Hunter on both sides of the ball and when they inevitably loose players to injury.

They have ASU, Arizona, and Stanford as possible wins. That's it. SC, UCLA, OSU, us, and Utah? Little chance of pulling a win from there unless something totally unforeseen takes place.

I think ASU and UA are better than you think. Stanford is a mess again. But look at their recruiting classes. They start with good kids. Coaching matters.

CU is a team of backups and malcontents. Meion didnt go out and take starters from all these other power five teams. He got kids that couldnt get on the field somewhere else. Or he called them up from his JV team at Jackson State.

They could go 0-9 in Pac play.

I'm not seeing why that has any relevance in what we are talking about. Meion is 3-1 when he just as easily could have been 0-4. The fact is he is 3-1.

I posted on here I couldn't wait to see TCU drill them before that game. I don't like the Meion act. I pretty much think the guy is an @$$ most of the time until you look a bit closer. CU should get their bum handed to them the rest of the year.

However, I personally don't think you can turn around a $*** show by being gentle about it. In this environment, the longer you wait the further you get behind with no way to dig out of it. Every year is starting over for most programs.

The fact is the 3-1 will not look so great when he goes 0-9 in league. He is lucky to be 3-1. And his luck ran out in Eugene.

I agree that you have to move on from kids once you know they aren’t the guy. I think there is a way to do it and a way not to do it.

What happens when he realizes the kids he got aren’t gonna cut it? Does he make big cuts for a second year in a row? If he is gonna treat CU like a NFL team and make cuts every year to bring in mercs, he will have a mess soon enough.

You aren't wrong....but there were big warning signs flashing in the TCU and CSU wins. First games of a season are always rough and the "national runner up" talk was stupid given that TCU lost the majority of their offensive production from 2022 including the QB and top four receivers plus two offensive linemen. They lost three defensive starters to the NFL. We all see how CU's offense and defense went into the toilet with the loss of one guy....imagine losing triple that. Despite that turnover, the Horned Frogs were in position to win that game in the fourth quarter. TCU would obliterate CU if they played again and everyone knows it. The Buffaloes were lucky to get TCU in week one.

Nebraska is a terrible football team and may not win another game this season. Massey has them projected at 4-8 with only one of their two projected wins to be won by more than one point. Whipping Nebraska was unexpected but that win is going to look less impressive when Michigan runs the train on the Cornhuskers this weekend.

Colorado State isn't as bad as we made them look....but they are not a good football team and CU needing double overtime to beat them was a huge red flag. We dominated the Rams once we knocked the rust off. If the Rams get one more first down late in the 4th quarter...the Buffaloes lose. That's a bad look for a team that thinks that they are good.

Deion has upgraded the team from last year but it would not be that big of a surprise for the Buffaloes to go winless for the rest of the season. USC is going to come out a lot more focused than they did against ASU and playing at ASU is always tricky....as USC just learned. Stanford is bad and the Buffs will probably win that one. That said, Arizona barely escaped the Farm with a win. The Buffs might be double digit underdogs in four of their last five games. If the Buffaloes lose to both USC and ASU, the wheels may be falling off before they get to the Arizona game.
I'm not sure exactly what you are seeing in my posts. Do I have to think Meion is the devil incarnate? They lose out and they have still done much better than the previous season. We know how rebuilds go. Rarely are they linear or pretty. Pete Carroll's a pretty good coach and it wasn't an easy turn at SC. You do it your way though and let the chips fall where they fall.

The fact is the 3-1 will not look so great when he goes 0-9 in league. He is lucky to be 3-1. And his luck ran out in Eugene.

I agree that you have to move on from kids once you know they aren’t the guy. I think there is a way to do it and a way not to do it.

What happens when he realizes the kids he got aren’t gonna cut it? Does he make big cuts for a second year in a row? If he is gonna treat CU like a NFL team and make cuts every year to bring in mercs, he will have a mess soon enough.
You don't win 3 games by luck in college football. That just isn't reality.

College football is the NFL. In fact, college football is crazier than the NFL currently. There is no salary cap, tampering with players is rampant, players can transfer at will, waivers are handed out like candy. No longer are you recruiting for 25 spots. You are also re-recruiting your entire roster every year until they decide to put in rules again and programs live by them.

You don't win 3 games by luck in college football. That just isn't reality.

College football is the NFL. In fact, college football is crazier than the NFL currently. There is no salary cap, tampering with players is rampant, players can transfer at will, waivers are handed out like candy. No longer are you recruiting for 25 spots. You are also re-recruiting your entire roster every year until they decide to put in rules again and programs live by them.

TCU and CSU were coin flip games that could have gone either way. They were not dominating.

The NCAA removing the 25 new player limit changed football. Other things too for sure. But when a team can only take 25 new kids…. you may see some kids hold their spot rather than hit the portal.

Add the covid 6th year and we are seeing more kids than scholarships available.

I'm not sure exactly what you are seeing in my posts. Do I have to think Meion is the devil incarnate? They lose out and they have still done much better than the previous season. We know how rebuilds go. Rarely are they linear or pretty. Pete Carroll's a pretty good coach and it wasn't an easy turn at SC. You do it your way though and let the chips fall where they fall.
You are 100% right. Everyone wants to pile on now since Oregon humbled them. I knew that was coming, it was obvious. USC probably will next week too. The turnaround they’ve had already is impressive. This team was 2008 WSU bad last year.

Now argue all you want about the game being different because of the portal and NIL. That’s fine, you still gotta get all those new players coached up, on the same page and playing together.

I'd rather have Rhule than Meion if I'm rebuilding a program.

I would say that before this season and I'll say it after the season.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
You are 100% right. Everyone wants to pile on now since Oregon humbled them. I knew that was coming, it was obvious. USC probably will next week too. The turnaround they’ve had already is impressive. This team was 2008 WSU bad last year.

Now argue all you want about the game being different because of the portal and NIL. That’s fine, you still gotta get all those new players coached up, on the same page and playing together.

I wouldn't take anything away from him and what he has done at Colorado.

The hype was getting way ahead of the reality, though.

Next season they'll take another step up in the league. This season, they'll finish 3-6 in conference. Next season, I think they likely flip that record.

That’s fine, you still gotta get all those new players coached up, on the same page and playing together.
That’s one of the things I took away from the TCU game. CU seemed pretty organized and in position the entire game. As simple as that sounds, it’s not always something even good coaches can pull of in an offseason.

From here, that’s one of the things I’ll continue to watch the most. When the losses and beat downs start to pile up, are they still playing together? Do we see lots of kids start to hit the portal?

I'd rather have Rhule than Meion if I'm rebuilding a program.

I would say that before this season and I'll say it after the season.
Have to disagree with you here. Bookmark this and see who’s better in 3 years Colorado or Nebraska.

I highly doubt Sanders is at Colorado in 3 years. Will they find a suitable replacement?

Sanders is going to leave because he craves the attention and competition and he'll jump to the SEC (or Florida State) if given the opportunity. I don't see him jumping to the NFL. The problem for Colorado is that Sanders is all about Sanders. He did say that Colorado is beautiful and that he could see himself living there long term, but in the clips that I've seen, I don't see him paying any homage to the glory days of the late 80's and the early 90's when they finished in the Top 10 five times in eight years. If they win under Sanders, he takes all of the credit and he will have no qualms about what happens to CU when he's gone. If they do well, it's only because of him.

That said, coaching turnover is a part of college football and it's possible that their fan base is so fired up by then that they get the next guy who keeps the train rolling. The problem then is whether the talent that Sanders has brought in will stay or if all the important ones follow him...because again, in Deion's world....it's all about Deion.

Of course, the flipside is that all of these "star" players turn on each other when things go south and Sanders is looking at rebuilding the roster every year. He might be gone in 3 years by virtue of being fired if the show becomes cliche and unsuccessful at the same time.

I highly doubt Sanders is at Colorado in 3 years. Will they find a suitable replacement?
Ruhle might not be at Nebraska in 3 years either…for different reasons.

Maybe not the greatest comparison but for the sake of argument were we better off after Dennis Erickson or after Paul
Wulff? Erickson was before my time so I have no idea what happened the 2-3 years post Erickson.

Colorado will win a Pac-12 game.

ESPN Lives Matter

You’re inflating the significance of those first 3 games. Let’s see how this season plays out before comparing CU 2022 to 23.
Wins against a top 25 team, a rival and an instate rival are significant. Especially when your team was 1-11 the prior season. CU still has ASU, Stanford and Arizona, so they have a chance to hit six wins. However, they do look punch drunk.

I think ASU and UA are better than you think. Stanford is a mess again. But look at their recruiting classes. They start with good kids. Coaching matters.

CU is a team of backups and malcontents. Meion didnt go out and take starters from all these other power five teams. He got kids that couldnt get on the field somewhere else. Or he called them up from his JV team at Jackson State.

They could go 0-9 in Pac play.
The team he had the day he took over went 4-8 in 2021 and 1-11 in 2022. They guys he inherited couldn't get on the field elsewhere either.

And if he isn't it's likely because he was very successful at what he set out to do. Mission accomplished for him and Colorado. Taihtsat
Too funny people showing up saying “I told you so” about sanders and CU after game 4. I don’t like Sanders but he shut everyone TF up for the first 3 weeks. Even those of us who called it that he was going to have success knew damn well that the Oregons and USCs of the conference were going to light them up this year. They are still gonna get to 6+ wins and go bowling which will be remarkable for the level of rebuild needed. Oh and by the way, this ain’t gonna be an automatic W for us either.

Ruhle might not be at Nebraska in 3 years either…for different reasons.

Maybe not the greatest comparison but for the sake of argument were we better off after Dennis Erickson or after Paul
Wulff? Erickson was before my time so I have no idea what happened the 2-3 years post Erickson.
Those were very different transitions. Erickson left a 9-3 team. Multiple key players left at the same time, but there was enough experience & talent on the roster to work with. Wulff left a 4-8 team that was pretty thin, and really didn't know how to win.

Price came in after Erickson (from Weber State - an FCS promotion that stayed "within the family") and he really looked like a clown for a while. He went 6-5 his first year, then 3-8, 4-7 before Bledsoe showed up and got us back to 9-3.

Leach had a worse overall record after their first 3 years (Price 13-20, 0.394 vs Leach 12-25, 0.324), but I think we had pretty good expectations from both in year 4. I think Leach started from a worse position, so being 1 win short after 3 was an achievement. He also managed to maintain that level once the lights went on. He had 4 straight winning seasons and caught up to Price in overall record. Price never had more than 2 straight winning seasons.

So, kind of depends how you weigh things. In those first 3 seasons after coming in, it looks like Price did better, but I'm giving Leach credit for a bigger bounce...and if you look at the next 5 seasons it's clearly advantage Leach (better record, more bowls, more consistency).

Reactions: mikalalas
"Meion". Love it.

The guy clearly decided to enact a severe culture change, even if it meant he had to rebuild from ground up and would be giving away some assets that would have been worthwhile to keep. His priority was the culture shift. Time will tell whether that was a good decision. It is not what I would probably have done, but he did it and he owned it. In today's game many of the better ones who were run off could transfer somewhere. And they had time to do that before spring ball, so to some extent it was not lose/lose for the better kids. Some of the ones not perceived to be real good lost out, without question.

Meion was appropriate in his post-game press conference. My memory was the short portion I watched had large portions of "we got our butts kicked" and "we were out-coached". Can't really argue with any of that.

It is possible that they will squeak 6 wins and a bowl. ASU, Stanford and Arizona might be close games. I could see them winning 5. That is a major upgrade from last season, so depending upon your viewpoint, he has probably done as well as any HC could have done under the circumstances. Just as important will be what he does with the roster next season.

Time will tell.

I found it funny how Fox continued the Colorado hype on Sunday despite the butt kicking on Saturday. The promos for the Colorado-USC matchup during the NFL games touted "the game of the season" and still listed Colorado as #19. (Obviously, the promos were produced before the new polls came out and before UO stomped the Buffs). If Colorado somehow beats the Trojans, they hype will ramp up again. But if they lose to USC, particularly if they get steamrolled again, there will be a noticeable drop in all the Colorado hubbub.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT