ADVERTISEMENT

DeBoer to Bama? This would be poetic justice. Roll Tide

Jimmy Sexton is DeBoer agent. Jimmy represent 11/14 SEC head coaches, including the outgoing Nick Saban. Jimmy is In Tuscaloosa today. DeBoer is definitely going to get a shot to wow them. Sound like Drinkiwitz and Kiff maybe too along with Norvell.

I want him to stay in Oregon. We/I need them to stay strong to piss off Fuw.

Once Fuw sucks... then it's okay for Whoregon to suck.

I don't think I can handle the fuskies continously being the POWER of the Northwest again (for a prolonged period of time)

DeBoer will be on 93.3 KJR tomorrows at 9:00 am
No he won’t!

I think it’s over. There’s just no reason for him to stay. People talk about the pressure cooker of Bama. He’s about to experience what life as a UW football coach is post 1991. Their entitled fans will expect the playoffs every year now. He’s in a program that’s going to be gutted financially because they left the Pac and moving to a conference across the country where everyone is getting twice the tv revenue. He had all the stars align this year and fell short.

So take the UW pressure cooker for less money and be at a disadvantage to every school in your new conference or take the pressure cooker with a max contract and more resources than any program in the country? This seems like a real easy choice. If he’s offered he’s gone.

Reactions: firecoug
Apparently Dabo said "no" and DeBoer is now in a position to leverage things.

Cancelled his appearance
Yes, and you can read this two ways. Maybe he is gone. But maybe he is using the building of anxiety to leverage UW for more than he would have otherwise have received. Given that UW hurt themselves in terms of budget, Bama seems more likely. But I can't read his mind. He may want to live the rest of his life in Seattle, and maybe he hates humidity, ticks and chiggers. We'll know very soon.

No matter the outcome, this is bad for UW football. If he leaves it will be a total debacle (right back to a full rebuild job while Oregon and SC are ready to go full speed). If he stays, the compensation for DeBoer and his assistants will be an albatross hanging around the athletic department’s financial neck. I cannot love this enough.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned that I know is important for these coaching staffs is the rigors of travel. Their wives and families would rather they be home as much as possible in most cases. Living in Seattle and traveling to the Big 10 sites is far different than living in Tuscaloosa in the heart of the SEC (a car travel conference other than a few outposts). More money, better tradition, a better city, better working conditions all around… he’d be a fool to stay at a second tier job.

Yes, and you can read this two ways. Maybe he is gone. But maybe he is using the building of anxiety to leverage UW for more than he would have otherwise have received. Given that UW hurt themselves in terms of budget, Bama seems more likely. But I can't read his mind. He may want to live the rest of his life in Seattle, and maybe he hates humidity, ticks and chiggers. We'll know very soon.
Probably either or, but my bet is on UW leverage. He's probably asking for more $$$s and not just for himself. I would doubt they are in the NIL ballpark with the top programs. Also, no thank you to the humidity, ticks, chiggers or following Saban.

Last edited:
Reactions: whoisyaodaddy
Probably not much of an indicator, but Odunze just declared for the draft. He’s a likely early pick so probably would have left anyway, but his coach leaving could also push him toward the NFL.

Reactions: Coug90
Probably either or, but my bet is on UW leverage. He's probably asking for more $$$s and not just for himself. I would doubt they are in the NIL ballpark with the top programs. Also, no thank you to the humidity, ticks, chiggers or following Saban.
UW has nowhere near the NIL $ of Bama for the next couple of years especially. DJ just declared too they have a ton of holes on their roster. And their recruiting class is toward the bottom of b10. He ain’t getting them back to the playoffs anytime soon. But that will be the expectation. Why would you stay? I’m not a fan of humidity or bugs but Alabama will have someone follow him around with a fan and swat the bugs away from him 24/7. And they’ll pay the mortgage on his $10M home on top of his salary.

Probably not much of an indicator, but Odunze just declared for the draft. He’s a likely early pick so probably would have left anyway, but his coach leaving could also push him toward the NFL.
So did Dylan Johnson. Like 8 starters on the offense gone including 3 likely first rounders.

Bama maybe a little hesitant going after coaches from this state after what happened with coach price.
Roll Tide anyone? 😁

Yup. Breaking everywhere. Wow a week ago I thought I might be having to watch UW hoist their first real natty now their program is going to implode. Karma bitches. Enjoy the Big10 with half a share, an NIL deficit, 4000 mile round trips, a depleted roster, and breaking in a new and likely unproven HC. Life comes at you fast.

Yup. Breaking everywhere. Wow a week ago I thought I might be having to watch UW hoist their first real natty now their program is going to implode. Karma bitches. Enjoy the Big10 with half a share, an NIL deficit, 4000 mile round trips, a depleted roster, and breaking in a new and likely unproven HC. Life comes at you fast.
still conjecture

Reactions: cougarmike
this tweet from Vorel sums it up quite well, I cut and pasted for those not on twitter

Post​

See new posts

Conversation​

Mike Vorel
@mikevorel

UW's next coach will inherit a roster that just lost the majority of its playmakers to the NFL draft, with many more possibly entering the transfer portal. He'll also inherit a program that will make significantly less than its Big Ten competitors in the near future.Good luck.

12:04 PM · Jan 12, 2024
·
Views

Reactions: 79COUG and Coug90
this tweet from Vorel sums it up quite well, I cut and pasted for those not on twitter

Post​

See new posts

Conversation​

Mike Vorel
@mikevorel

UW's next coach will inherit a roster that just lost the majority of its playmakers to the NFL draft, with many more possibly entering the transfer portal. He'll also inherit a program that will make significantly less than its Big Ten competitors in the near future.Good luck.

12:04 PM · Jan 12, 2024
·
Views
he forgot "gets to make 4-5 east cost trips to play 2-3 playoff contenders every year."

What a great day for karmic justice. Ana Marie abdicated her responsibilities to the Conference when she secretly negotiated a move to the Big 10 behind the conference’s back. Most of the UW fan base went along with it even if some weren’t thrilled with it. This is the universe’s payback. I hope UW enjoys being Rutgers, West!

What's really funny about these deals is watching fan bases (and this is not exclusive to UW) fall for the same schtick from coaches over and over again. "This guy is different. He gets it. He wants to build a legacy here. His family loves it here. He's a (insert mascot) for life." When are we all going to learn, that isn't how any of this works. There are very few exceptions.

What a great day for karmic justice. Ana Marie abdicated her responsibilities to the Conference when she secretly negotiated a move to the Big 10 behind the conference’s back. Most of the UW fan base went along with it even if some weren’t thrilled with it. This is the universe’s payback. I hope UW enjoys being Rutgers, West!
Most of the uw fanbase has no idea of the details of the move. Over on Lookout Landing (A Mariners website), I had a brief conversation with a uw fan. They are so arrogant and are clueless of the facts.

What's really funny about these deals is watching fan bases (and this is not exclusive to UW) fall for the same schtick from coaches over and over again. "This guy is different. He gets it. He wants to build a legacy here. His family loves it here. He's a (insert mascot) for life." When are we all going to learn, that isn't how any of this works. There are very few exceptions.
It is particularly hypocritical since so many of these coaches talk in terms of loyalty, family and commitment. Then the first chance they get for the big bucks they take their talk about loyalty and family some place else.

Coaches are different, and all the Portal, NIL, etc. only makes what they say even less true. They say what they need to say. I hear Sark at UT now and he sounds like a southerner. He's from CA!

Smith's a Beav Alum/former QB and leaves OSU for MSU. DeBoer leaves after 2 years for 'Bama. I remember being 1 of many people standing and shouting "Stay" to Erickson back in the 90's. Later learned he was gone for Miami before the Hula Bowl if Johnson takes SF. That was my lesson. Get attached, but coaches come and go.

Normally, I'd be inclined to temper some of the commentary regarding UW's downfall. They aren't positioned all that great going forward, but objectively, it isn't terrible, either.

That said, I think De Boer is a pretty special coach. The guy just wins. UW was fortunate to have him be Cohen's third or fourth pick and to wind up with him.

I don't think UW is headed for its program imploding or anything like that, but I strongly doubt it will be as fortunate with this next hire. Their douche AD will have a lot of pressure to get it right. I hope they hire someone like Bryan Harsin. I also hope Harbaugh makes the NFL leap soon so Michigan outcompetes UW on this front, too.

If you aren’t in Seattle, download the tune in radio app. You won’t want to miss this!
I was in a meeting when Softy came on with Ian. Caught the rest and going to listen for a bit to Softy. Heard the other mutt guy with Ian. He's such a bag of wind.

I can't get over anyone feeling "betrayed". With Erickson, we snapped him up after 2 years (?) from Wyoming. Tony leaves after 3 years as head coach to UVA, and of course others. It sucks, but in the end it's just business.

The new conference will not be kind to UW. They are due for a major wake up call and I for one will enjoy it

POTD!! I will try to refer to UW as "Rutgers, West" in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT