ADVERTISEMENT

Defense and last thoughts on UCLA

roses04

Hall Of Fame
Oct 4, 2003
First game in person this year, great tail gate, I get to my seats, watching warm ups, and about 3 rows down to my left, some 50-60 year old woman is waiving a sign, one side says something about ESPN, and the other side says " There is a new meaning to Cougin' it, it's winning" . And I immediately thought oh no, 19 point favs and the lady is going to Jinx us with this damn sign. Then the game starts and Gordon throws the first pick and less than 2 min into the game we are down 7 and I am thinking about going to the lady and telling her the sign is bad luck, take it down, never did, probably should have.

This defense needs a lot of help, The DB's can't cover, the LB's seem lost and the DL gets no pressure, they played OK versus the run, this D is not good, and there is no easy fix. Even when we were up by 32, with 19 minutes to go, I still felt uneasy, and rightfully so, between the lady and out D we were doomed.

Not sure what they can do defensively, might have to go younger, and learn by trial and error, maybe is was a bad game, I personally think the DB's should play zone, at least if they all stayed in one area they'd be closer to the receivers than they are playing man. UCLA just had a lot of guys wide open and you could see it 1-2 counts after the snap. Then you add in the fact we get no pressure, it is a recipe for disaster.

I am still hoping for 7-8 wins, simply because I think our offense can score 40 points plus game all year, we just have to find a way to keep the other team under 40.

Leach had teams at Texas Tech with no defense that would try to outscore teams-makes for some crazy games.

The most important thing defensively is to get off the field when we have them in 3rd and long.

That means containment on the QB while getting a rush. Do that much and we can stop a drive.

The most important thing defensively is to get off the field when we have them in 3rd and long.

That means containment on the QB while getting a rush. Do that much and we can stop a drive.
There hasn’t been a whole lot of third and long. We’ve been getting bludgeoned on first and second down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT