ADVERTISEMENT

Depth cart. Where’s McDougle

You cant lump special teams and defense together. It isnt equitable. This is why...

You have to play defense. You cant avoid it.

You can avoid kick and punt teams. You can manipulate their ability to return the ball by kicking out of bounds. You essentially render everyone useless. You cannot do that on defense.

You cannot expect the defense to defend short fields and 6 turnovers. Simply unfair and total bullsh1t for the offense to leave them that jammed up.

The defense has a lot of issues. It is also not the reason WSU has lost two games. It lands on Leach. His offense turned the ball over 6 times. He didnt tell his special teams coach to kick out of bounds. His offense could only score 1 measly touchdown against Utah.

TC has earned criticism. He is not at fault for the 3-2 record. The offense is.

Biggs.....you act like you know a lot of football, but every once in a while.....you post some seriously stupid sh!t.

Kick the ball out of bounds every time? Yeah....let's give the opposing team great starting field position every time because we had one bad night. There were times in the past that I might have agreed with you, but in general, our special teams have been good to decent the last couple years prior to the recent meltdown. If you check out the WSU vs Utah boxscore......Utah didn't do squat on special teams...so suggesting that kicking it out of bounds every play is dumb.

While I agree that the defense doesn't shoulder the entire blame for the UCLA loss, only an idiot excuses the swiss cheese defense that we put on the field in the last 20 minutes of the game. We gave up 131 yards and two touchdowns in two freaking plays when our team was up 49-24 in the third quarter. If the defense had put up a token fight and held UCLA to a still miserable 10 yards per play......they would have burned too much clock to win the game. The UCLA loss was a team effort and blame goes to all three phases.

TC's defense was just as culpable as the offense in that loss to Utah. Against the Utes, their inability to stop drives put the offense in a frantic, come from behind position. The offense stunk.....and failing to score when we had the ball 1st and goal at the 6 was a deal-killer, but the 2nd game in a row with too much swiss cheese defense was inexcusable for Tracy Claeys and the defensive staff. FWIW, if the defense had been able to stop Utah on 3rd and long when they had their chances......I'd be more on your side, but they couldn't even do that. Offense was trash in the rain though. Again......team loss.

If you want people to respect your football acumen, don't be lazy.

If youre moving this many guys around 5 games in... not good. I hope this shakes out for the best.

Reminds me (unfortunately) of the staff moving Teondre Caldwell to safety like 2 weeks before the season opener a few years ago.

I remember a lot of posts (probably primarily on Brand X) saying, "Oh good, yea let's get his athleticism on the field. He could be a play maker", and I'm thinking, "Damn, this is going to be an effing disaster."

I think he allowed like an 80 yard TD on the first play from scrimmage.

Reactions: CougEd
Can you imagine if WSU goes on to have a good defense over the remainder of the season? Man, Claeys wouldn't work anywhere again. :D

Reactions: TrumpCoug
Reminds me (unfortunately) of the staff moving Teondre Caldwell to safety like 2 weeks before the season opener a few years ago.

I remember a lot of posts (probably primarily on Brand X) saying, "Oh good, yea let's get his athleticism on the field. He could be a play maker", and I'm thinking, "Damn, this is going to be an effing disaster."

I could be totally wrong, but I'm hoping the "simplifying the defense" narrative means no more of the disastrous zone coverage and going with man. Having guys cover empty space wasn't working. It can't getting simpler than guarding the guy that is lined up across from you, right? Cushions so you don't get burned deep.

Reactions: froropmkr72
If you were at the UCLA game, there were many times when the whole left side or whole right side of the defensive back field was simply empty. There was something very wrong with that defense, bad call, not understanding the call or being totally out of position, but 2 out of 3 of those fall on the players. Missed tackles, no pressure on the QB, the list goes on and on, there are a lot of holes in this D. These defensive coaches have been around long enough to know you don't leave major portions of the field uncovered. Is it poor coaching, or is it the players ability both mental and physical, I hope the D improves, but I am not getting my hopes up.

no you cant lump special forces and defense together because they aren't the same players, and they have different duties. ST is usually a mix of mostly reserves and a few starters from both sides of the ball.

If you're moving kids around during the season you are reaching and scrambling. These two deeps should be taking shape in the spring, not 5 games in.

Reactions: CougEd
If you're moving kids around during the season you are reaching and scrambling. These two deeps should be taking shape in the spring, not 5 games in.
OR there's been a fundamental disagreement that took place going into the season. I'm more confidant about the defense going into this game,

OR there's been a fundamental disagreement that took place going into the season. I'm more confidant about the defense going into this game,

The moves were all to positions they had played before. This isn't switching Teondray Caldwell from RB to S two weeks before the season. The current alignment wasn't working, no point in sticking with it to avoid admitting a mistake. Wish we had gone with the current alignment all year. Goofing up the depth chart in the fall will keep the D from hitting their ceiling.

I'm not sure this new group will be light years better, but I think they'll be inspired and should play much better in Tempe.

Reactions: cougcowboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT